The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to The Sussex Family
News & Events, Part Three

Commencing March 2021

This replaces the General News and Events threads.
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

Additional Notice:

This thread replaces the previous General News & Events threads, which is now closed.

Members wishing to post their thoughts, comments and responses may do so in a constructive way and in a manner that promotes mature and thoughtful discussion. When posting, members are expected to act civilly, reasonably and responsibly both towards one another and towards the subject matter.

Members who do not comply with these requests will be warned and may be suspended.

The following subjects and types of posts are off-topic and unacceptable:

• Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards other members and the media
  • Off-topic remarks
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

Osipi

Meghan started out with claiming that a comment was made by "someone in the family" about what color of skin the Sussex child may be born with. She didn't even hear the person say it. It was relayed to her by Harry. They refused to name the person because "it could be damaging". What is more damaging is by alluding to something that someone said that may or may not be deemed "racist" actually ended up as a charge of racism not only on the royal family entirely but on the entire British monarchy. One person *may* have been responsible for a serious racist remark that sincerely was out of line but because *one* person made a remark, the blanket of the charge has been laid on a wider group of people and it's continuing to grow to a focus on racism in Great Britain. One spark of a comment without context lit a flame.

This makes me believe that the *purpose* of bring up the remark and deliberately saying they weren't naming names was to generate a pall of suspicion on *all* of them. We saw William being questioned. William should never have had to state publicly that "the royal family is not racist". Meghan threw out a seed in the hopes of planting something that would grow into sentiments of discord. She purposely, in my eyes, tried to bring a subject that is controversial and a very huge problem globally to the forefront by painting everyone with the same brush that *maybe* that one person making the remark should be painted with. That, to me, is opposite of "be kind".
I think it goes further than that. Meghan mentioned the alleged racist comment made by an unnamed member of the family without context or details, and then added a different context to it by implying that the comment fit into a broader pattern of racist behavior, which included the suggestion that Archie wouldn't be made a prince or get security because of the color of his skin.

To me, that shows malicious intent on Meghan's part, not only because the claims about the title and security are patently misleading (if not false), but also because, whatever was said privately to Harry when he and Meghan were starting to date (per Harry's own admission) and in an undisclosed context clearly has no obvious relation to whatever might have been discussed about Archie's future title and security arrangements when Meghan was pregnant. Meghan, with Oprah's help, made up then a fake nexus that does not clearly exist in a deliberate attempt to induce the audience to conclude that the Royal Family is racist.

Last edited:
You're right, Mbruno. I didn't take it past the one remark that was made but it did devolve into a lot more going forward. The thing is that it was geared to an American audience who probably will never see the discrepancies in what Meghan and Harry presented as their "truth". Of course, for us here, its generated page after page after page of discussion. It's what we love to do and why we're here.

I'm going to admit something here and I think there are a whole lot of people out there that probably have thought along the same lines as I have. I *did* wonder what color skin the first child was going to have. Not in any way being racist but curious. Personally, I'd rather have Meghan's skin tone than Harry's. Harry's the kind where he just has to think of the sun and he burns. :D

I am also moving over a link posted in the now closed interview thread. It's a wonderful read and reflects how my thought processes worked too when Meghan was pregnant with Archie.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-it-racist-to-wonder-what-colour-your-childs-skin-will-be

On International Women's Day (8th March), Meghan has written a letter to students at Robert Clack School in remembering her visit to the school last year and marking the 50th anniversary of Equal Pay Act. She thanked the kindness and memories the students gave for her visit.

Robert Clack School @RClackOfficial
We had a very special delivery this week. It has been lovely to share this letter and advice with the students and remember our International Women’s Day celebrations last year. #IWD2021 #iwd
4:20 AM · Mar 12, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Picture of the letter

I am sure the students are thrilled to receive this letter but wonder whether she realizes how 'small acts of compassion' (mentioned twice) don't erase 'big acts of heartlessness' (I looked up the antonym of compassion), for example internationally 'owning' your in-laws. So maybe start practicing what you preach?!

And nice plugging of Archewell...

Last edited:
Of course she would never see it that way. She was the one who was wronged- told lay low, denied vital mental health care, and was not protected.

Nice message for the school though.

Of course she would never see it that way. She was the one who was wronged- told lay low, denied vital mental health care, and was not protected.

Nice message for the school though.

In that case, from her perspective, she should probably practice Michelle Obama's saying 'when they go low, we go high' - instead of 'when they go low, we will go much lower'.

Clearly the queen is practicing the first with her statement, so at least there is one family member that they profess to admire they might imitate.

Last edited:
Sharon Osbourne's now been forced to apologise, after she was accused of racism for saying that Piers Morgan had a right to express his opinion, and asking a talk show host who'd accused him of racism to give some specific examples to back those accusations up.

This is getting beyond silly. How is anything to be discussed in a rational way if people are forced to apologise every time they say anything?

Last edited:
When someone is in the business of "making a difference" and helping other people to find help and solutions for issues they're experiencing, it didn't help the Sussex goal of promoting mental health by Meghan just elaborating on what she felt and what she was experiencing (which, btw, I take as valid). She was having issues getting help she felt she needed. She left it there. She didn't go anywhere near what she *did* do to solve her mental health issues. Do they still exist? Have they dissipated? Is she still suffering mentally because of what she experienced and is she talking to a professional at all?

She did a good job of throwing the blame on others for not listening and providing help when needed but there were no solutions mentioned at all. It all stopped after the accusations against others not doing anything for her. What did she then do for herself? What did Harry do? Was the move away from the "toxic environment" the cure or was it actually running away from the core issues? None of these answers were provided. We just were given the stone wall that Meghan perceived she ran into. Big, bad stone wall did it.

When someone is sitting on the pity pot, that pot gets awfully comfortable. ;)

When someone is in the business of "making a difference" and helping other people to find help and solutions for issues they're experiencing, it didn't help the Sussex goal of promoting mental health by Meghan just elaborating on what she felt and what she was experiencing (which, btw, I take as valid). She was having issues getting help she felt she needed. She left it there. She didn't go anywhere near what she *did* do to solve her mental health issues. Do they still exist? Have they dissipated? Is she still suffering mentally because of what she experienced and is she talking to a professional at all?

She did a good job of throwing the blame on others for not listening and providing help when needed but there were no solutions mentioned at all. It all stopped after the accusations against others not doing anything for her. What did she then do for herself? What did Harry do? Was the move away from the "toxic environment" the cure or was it actually running away from the core issues? None of these answers were provided. We just were given the stone wall that Meghan perceived she ran into. Big, bad stone wall did it.

When someone is sitting on the pity pot, that pot gets awfully comfortable. ;)

You're making a very good point there. In therapy, you are usually directed to move away from laying blame on others (no matter if valid or not) and towards what you can do.

I've thought before that the interview sends the message that mental health issues are solved by leaving the situation in which they first occurred - which is usually not true. You can leave the situation and that might help, but it doesn't mean that serious mental health issues are magically cured.

You're making a very good point there. In therapy, you are usually directed to move away from laying blame on others (no matter if valid or not) and towards what you can do.

I've thought before that the interview sends the message that mental health issues are solved by leaving the situation in which they first occurred - which is usually not true. You can leave the situation and that might help, but it doesn't mean that serious mental health issues are magically cured.

It's called "doing a geographical". You change your environment but you still bring all your personal problems with you and soon the same problems arise if you aren't working on yourself which requires a lot of self examination that we haven't seen from them in public.

I think if leaving had solved everything then we wouldn't have had this interview. Or it would have been a more forward looking one with emphasis on their life now and how they plan to help. Except that probably wouldn't have gotten the ratings.

Even if they completely succeed in shutting down all criticism of them I don't think it will automatically make them happy, nor necessarily bring in the money to make the next stage of their lives a financial success.

And most people can't move 5000 miles away to a new life, in a new country, in comfort...with plenty of money to buffer them...

I'm not going to even try to assess anyone's mental health status or deem what they should do or shouldn't do but all of this that's been aired in that interview being put forth as their "truth", I still do think that airing their negative truths is going to hurt and reflect on anything they propose to go into the future as incentives with Archewell.

How can people actively look at Archewell and the Sussexes as role models for mental health awareness, being kind and compassionate and championing diversity when their actions and words have gone against what they profess to believe in? How does coming out on international television and moaning that the Bank of Daddy has cut him off and they had to take the Netflix and Spotify contracts to stay afloat with what they perceived they needed put their production hopes in a good light? That paints a picture of whatever they produce for these contracts will be of a self serving nature rather than "making a difference".

In order to "give back", you actually have to have something first to give back from.

I'm not going to even try to assess anyone's mental health status or deem what they should do or shouldn't do but all of this that's been aired in that interview being put forth as their "truth", I still do think that airing their negative truths is going to hurt and reflect on anything they propose to go into the future as incentives with Archewell.

How can people actively look at Archewell and the Sussexes as role models for mental health awareness, being kind and compassionate and championing diversity when their actions and words have gone against what they profess to believe in? How does coming out on international television and moaning that the Bank of Daddy has cut him off and they had to take the Netflix and Spotify contracts to stay afloat with what they perceived they needed put their production hopes in a good light? That paints a picture of whatever they produce for these contracts will be of a self serving nature rather than "making a difference".

In order to "give back", you actually have to have something first to give back from.

IMO while Harry wanted to be free to make money, but truth to tell he has no idea how to do so, and when Dad cut off the money and the British and Canadian tax payers declined to fund his new life.. he was forced to do something.. but he'd rather have just escaped, sat around and done a bit of lecturing to people.. (I mean in terms of telling people to vote blah blah blah)... and lived off Daddy's money... even though he had left to gain financial independence or so he said.
Now they have the contract with Netflix but there's no sign of anything being produced, and I wonder if he (OR maybe Meg too) has the least idea what they will need to do to fulfil the deal...
I dont know what the deal is, but I presume if they don't come up with successful ideas and put them out, Netflix will pull the deal or not renew it and they will look ridiculous. It looks right now as if they have taken an advance but so far have done nothing to earn it...

The telegraph
Oprah thinks that I ‘attacked’ Meghan? It’s time for me to speak my truth
Could it really be true that my column about the Duchess had been a factor in the Sussexes' decision to leave Britain?

MICHAEL DEACON
PARLIAMENTARY SKETCHWRITER
10 March 2021 • 7:00pm
Michael Deacon
During the interview, Oprah launched into a stern monologue about the iniquities of the British press
During the interview, Oprah launched into a stern monologue about the iniquities of the British press CREDIT: SUPPLIED BY DIGITAL/EROTEME

There were many startling moments during Oprah Winfrey’s programme with the Duchess of Sussex. For me, though, the most surprising aspect was this.

I was in it.

Admittedly, my very minor cameo hasn’t generated quite as much global attention as the rest of the programme’s contents. But to me, at any rate, it was an unexpected twist. About 40 minutes in, Oprah broke off briefly from the interview and launched into a stern monologue about the iniquities of the British press.

“When Meghan joined the Royal family in 2018,” intoned Oprah, “she became the target of unrelenting, pervasive attacks.” Immediately, the screen flashed up a small selection of headlines from British newspapers – each presented as examples of the cruel and vindictive coverage that had plagued Meghan during her time in Britain and had left her with no option but to quit.

One headline in particular, however, caught my eye. Because it was the headline to a column I’d written myself.

For a moment, I sat there, wearing an expression not dissimilar to the one that Oprah herself was wearing for much of the interview. An expression of mute, astonished bewilderment, as if her guest had suddenly turned into a hedgehog.

Goodness, I murmured. Could it really be true that my column about poor Meghan had helped drive her out of Britain? What an awful thought.

On the whole, though, I decided that it was unlikely – for a fairly simple reason.

My column was published on December 19 last year, more than 11 months after Meghan announced she was stepping down as a senior royal. So unless Meghan has access to a time machine, I tend to suspect that my influence on her decision was, at most, negligible. Especially as, up to that point, I’d never written a single word against her.

Yet here was my column, being held up to the world as a brutal tirade that had helped make Meghan’s time in Britain unendurable. Perhaps Oprah and her team had been so blinded by horror at what I’d written, they hadn’t noticed the publication date. They certainly hadn’t shown the date on screen.

Even so, I’m not quite sure why they would have found the column horrifying. Because, as can easily be ascertained by reading it, it was a brief and innocuous piece on the age-old observation that America and Britain are two nations divided by a common language.

One reason that some British people had struggled to see eye-to-eye with Meghan, I’d suggested, was that we tend to shy away from emotional language. We’re a stiff, socially awkward bunch who communicate via understatement, irony and sarcasm.

Meghan, by contrast, grew up in California, where people love to gush and emote. They’re perpetually feeling “humbled”, “empowered”, “passionate”, “inspired”. Hence my column’s headline: “The real problem with Meghan Markle: she just doesn’t speak our language.”

IMO while Harry wanted to be free to make money, but truth to tell he has no idea how to do so, and when Dad cut off the money and the British and Canadian tax payers declined to fund his new life.. he was forced to do something.. but he'd rather have just escaped, sat around and done a bit of lecturing to people.. (I mean in terms of telling people to vote blah blah blah)... and lived off Daddy's money... even though he had left to gain financial independence or so he said.
Now they have the contract with Netflix but there's no sign of anything being produced, and I wonder if he (OR maybe Meg too) has the least idea what they will need to do to fulfil the deal...
I dont know what the deal is, but I presume if they don't come up with successful ideas and put them out, Netflix will pull the deal or not renew it and they will look ridiculous. It looks right now as if they have taken an advance but so far have done nothing to earn it...

If Harry's version of the story is true, he strikes me as someone completely naive and unprepared for an independent life. I mean, he left full-time royal work and moved to another country and didn't have a plan to provide for his family and pay for security? Did he genuinely believe that Prince Charles, or the British or Canadian taxpayers would continue to foot the bill while he lived a lavish private life in North America? And did he genuinely believe the half-in/half-out solution would work when there is no precedent of a member of the RF officially representing the Crown as a permanent resident in another Commonwealh country other than in the role of Governor or Governor General, which, for political reasons, is now impossible?

It may be the case of course that the version above is not true, that the Netflix and Spotify deals were not "accidental" as Harry says, and that they left the UK with a clear intention to becone truly financially independent (as they claimed BTW at the time and are now somewhat contradicting themselves). Either way, the Sussexes don't look good. If the latter, they are open to the accusation of being "greedy royals" who are taking advantage of their title for private gain/profit. If, on the other hand, the former (as described in my first paragraph) is true, they come across as entitled / spoiled or, in the best case scenario, as I said, naive and out of touch with the real world.

Last edited:
The telegraph
Oprah thinks that I ‘attacked’ Meghan? It’s time for me to speak my truth
Could it really be true that my column about the Duchess had been a factor in the Sussexes' decision to leave Britain?
(...)

Even so, I’m not quite sure why they would have found the column horrifying. Because, as can easily be ascertained by reading it, it was a brief and innocuous piece on the age-old observation that America and Britain are two nations divided by a common language.

One reason that some British people had struggled to see eye-to-eye with Meghan, I’d suggested, was that we tend to shy away from emotional language. We’re a stiff, socially awkward bunch who communicate via understatement, irony and sarcasm.

Meghan, by contrast, grew up in California, where people love to gush and emote. They’re perpetually feeling “humbled”, “empowered”, “passionate”, “inspired”. Hence my column’s headline: “The real problem with Meghan Markle: she just doesn’t speak our language.”

He conveniently included the name of his article; an interesting read on how language increases the divide.

Last edited:

Meghan wasn’t really trying to shed a light on mental illness IMO. The point was to get sympathy and throw the monarchy under the bus. It’s one of the reasons I was annoyed that the White House commented on it.

I think Meghan and Harry are a walking advertisement for what you said about leaving the situation: that it doesn’t mean mental issues are magically cured. This interview, their friend being authorized to talk, the emails now leaking don’t happen when you’ve moved on and are in a good place. This is nasty and vindictive.

IMHO , Harry has already earned his Netflix fee during that farcical interview with James Cordon . When he stated that he was "way more comfortable with The Crown , than he was with newspaper stories about his wife or family .

He gave them priceless publicity . He did say that it was fictional, loosely based on the truth . However many people take a series like the Crown as truth . The damage was already being done to the image of the BRF before Oprahgate . Harry and Meghan have just compounded this .

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

I would agree they’ve done serious damage to their brand with all this. It’s not kind or compassionate. And if they were getting- and listening to- good advice- this interview and the aftermath never would have happened.

I think they have another narrative problem: Meghan as a strong, independent woman. And my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with her mental health issues to be clear.

It’s that IMO strong independent women aren’t vindictive, nasty and making sympathy ploys while trashing everyone in their path.

A real one doesn’t need to get on TV and trash their in laws, the institution as a whole, make accusations without back up, discuss private matters publicly, etc.

They don’t need to make charges of racism based on a private conversation with a family they never heard and can’t even get basic details agreed on, supposedly correct a crying narrative with her sister in law, make up stories about the title issue for their kid, cry about everyone failing her, and basically turning herself into St Meghan.

They also don’t talk about having emails- which I now have to agree is exactly what some posters said it was: holding it over the BRF’s head.

You also don’t trash family/people/staff/an institution that you know will never respond publicly point by point.

I could go on. But Meghan is not IMO an example to emulate in terms of behavior for a woman. As far as I’m concerned, as a woman, this is embarrassing.

Last edited:
If Harry's version of the story is true, he strikes me as someone completely naive and unprepared for an independent life. I mean,

It may be the case of course that the version above is not true, that the Netflix and Spotify deals were not "accidental" as Harry says, and that they left the UK with a clear intention to becone truly financially independent (as they claimed BTW at the time and are now somewhat contradicting themselves). l world.
Im inclined to think that it went something like this.. they both wanted out, but Harry had no real idea how to do it.. Meghan said that they would be able to make lots of money in the US.. so off they went to Canada first.. but Harry still had the royal mindset that "someone else would sort things out for him".. and that Dad and the British taxpayer or Can taxpayer would give them free security and an allowance.. as long as they liked.. When Covid struck and then the Canadians pulled the plug on security, they panicked and asked Dad for more money and by now Charles probably was fed up and reminded Harry that he had walked out..to make his own way in the world.
Then they found a rich "Friend" who lent them a house and they moved to LA... but they still had to find a home and did not have an adequate income.. for LA.. so they did the Netflix deal etc...
but so far they haven't produced anyting...

I wonder if he (OR maybe Meg too) has the least idea what they will need to do to fulfil the deal...

I presume they pitched a lot of potential ideas to Netflix otherwise they wouldn't have the deal in the first place. The press release was pretty vague.

But how those will translate into a successful documentary series or "event" films is another matter. At one point in envisioned a camera crew out and about with them as they did their charity visits and pseudo royal tours (one reason "half in half out" wouldn't work as they would have probably wanted to commercialise official duties) but I kind of doubt it now.

Netflix has plenty of celebrities showcasing their lifestyles, travelogues and social causes. Will theirs stand out beyond just being from Harry and Meghan? And is that enough to sustain the lifestyle they want?

Im inclined to think that it went something like this.. they both wanted out, but Harry had no real idea how to do it.. Meghan said that they would be able to make lots of money in the US.. so off they went to Canada first.. but Harry still had the royal mindset that "someone else would sort things out for him".. and that Dad and the British taxpayer or Can taxpayer would give them free security and an allowance.. as long as they liked.. When Covid struck and then the Canadians pulled the plug on security, they panicked and asked Dad for more money and by now Charles probably was fed up and reminded Harry that he had walked out..to make his own way in the world.
Then they found a rich "Friend" who lent them a house and they moved to LA... but they still had to find a home and did not have an adequate income.. for LA.. so they did the Netflix deal etc...
but so far they haven't produced anyting...

This is very plausible. I doubt they had any solid plans, but they probably considered the possibilities of a Netflix or a similar deal because Netflix has lucrative agreements with politicians, like the Obamas, and other celebrities. Other possibilities include the paid speaker circuit, becoming paid board members of nonprofits (not a lot of work), etc. They can also draw a salary from their charity, it would be limited but still would have given then a few hundred thousand a year.

This is very plausible. I doubt they had any solid plans, but they probably considered the possibilities of a Netflix or a similar deal because Netflix has lucrative agreements with politicians, like the Obamas, and other celebrities. Other possibilities include the paid speaker circuit, becoming paid board members of nonprofits (not a lot of work), etc. They can also draw a salary from their charity, it would be limited but still would have given then a few hundred thousand a year.

Its also possible that what they envisioned would have become the perfect reality for them if they had been able to leave as working royals yet retained all the perks of being royal. It's like living at home with mom and dad yet working at a profession where all of your paycheck is free and clear to use as one wants to. No responsibility to provide for oneself.

I don't know anybody that would honestly go out and buy a residence where the Sussexes have unless they absolutely were sure that they could afford and maintain that residence going into the future. Perhaps the grand idea was formulated looking at the income Harry and Meghan had while they were working royals. Didn't they figure in that once they stopped working that the income would also disappear along with the security? Or even the possibility that that may even happen?

As they watch their bank accounts drain, are they going to face the reality that you can only have what you can afford? As I've said before, a ducal title may open doors but it's not going to pay the bills. There's no such thing as a free lunch in the real world or in these times, a free snack even. :D

Meghan wasn’t really trying to shed a light on mental illness IMO. The point was to get sympathy and throw the monarchy under the bus. It’s one of the reasons I was annoyed that the White House commented on it.

I think Meghan and Harry are a walking advertisement for what you said about leaving the situation: that it doesn’t mean mental issues are magically cured. This interview, their friend being authorized to talk, the emails now leaking don’t happen when you’ve moved on and are in a good place. This is nasty and vindictive.

There has been speculation for some time in various media forums / press with regards the relationship between the 2 couples.
It varies between, one lot was jealous of the others popularity or one lot was jealous of the others position in the family. Nobody really knew if there was any truth in any of it. Last year at the abbey was the first sign, but it is perfectly clear now that the two women did not get on for whatever reason.
Unfortunately Meghan appears to still hold negative thoughts about the situation and despite her promotion of kindness and compassion it does not stretch to the Cambridges.

Will this have an effect on their brand of kindness and compassion which she clearly fails to demonstrate herself. According to Meghan , Kate sent flowers and a note but she does not appear to want to accept this , it was mentioned in the interview and now the e mails. After 3 years I find this an unhealthy obsession.

As they watch their bank accounts drain, are they going to face the reality that you can only have what you can afford? As I've said before, a ducal title may open doors but it's not going to pay the bills. There's no such thing as a free lunch in the real world or in these times, a free snack even. :D

To be fair, this far they've got their free snacks. It looks to me that they mistook it for free feasting for life.

I really don't get it. What are they playing at? They're ruining their "brand of compassion" for those who matter, aka the ones who might reconsider working with them because they can never be sure what Harry and Meghan will save and twist. They're ruining their mission of sharing by oversharing that they only started it because the Bank of Charles closed. They're ruining their bridges with the royal family because, for all the talks about the Queen extending an olive branch, the RF cannot afford to take them back the way they need - in the highly public, visible way they need to reaffirm their royalty and value to the monarchy. All the time, as people saw concessions and olive branches from the RF, I saw polite but cutting dismissal on a public level which is the one mattering for their brand. And I still think that's what happening. On a personal level, Harry and Archie, and perhaps even Meghan, MIGHT still be beloved members of the family and accepted back but they're detrimental to the monarchy and the RF had been steadily cutting them out of this part. William's comment illustrated it perfectly. Harry simply isn't this important, no matter how loud he shouts. William is goinng to talk to him at some point of the future, when he sees fit. Let them talk, we aren't disturbed at all...

What are they doing? I can only see this as another attempt to force the RF into giving them what they want, financially at least. But with every new disrespect, they're making it impossible for Charles and The Queen to do so because they'll be perceived as caving in.

Last edited:
Its also possible that what they envisioned would have become the perfect reality for them if they had been able to leave as working royals yet retained all the perks of being royal. It's like living at home with mom and dad yet working at a profession where all of your paycheck is free and clear to use as one wants to. No responsibility to provide for oneself.

I don't know anybody that would honestly go out and buy a residence where the Sussexes have unless they absolutely were sure that they could afford and maintain that residence going into the future. Perhaps the grand idea was formulated looking at the income Harry and Meghan had while they were working royals. Didn't they figure in that once they stopped working that the income would also disappear along with the security? Or even the possibility that that may even happen?

They bought the residence after they made the Netflix deal, so they had reason to think they could afford it. We don't know what their financial situation is right now. The stock market is soaring. They also could be wrapping up a Netflix production as we speak, although I heard about that by now. It also occurred to me that they are working with Oprah, who has a lot of production experience, to develop some program ideas. Although as I posted earlier, if they had been smart, they would have produced the interview for Netflix rather than give it to Harpo.

I presume they pitched a lot of potential ideas to Netflix otherwise they wouldn't have the deal in the first place. The press release was pretty vague.

But how those will translate into a successful documentary series or "event" films is another matter. At one point in envisioned a camera crew out and about with them as they did their charity visits and pseudo royal tours (one reason "half in half out" wouldn't work as they would have probably wanted to commercialise official duties) but I kind of doubt it now.

Netflix has plenty of celebrities showcasing their lifestyles, travelogues and social causes. Will theirs stand out beyond just being from Harry and Meghan? And is that enough to sustain the lifestyle they want?

I dont watch anything like that but does that mean that they might (when Covid fades away) have a camera crew following htem as they take A to school, do the odd charity engagement.. go skiing etc?? it doesnt sound all that interesting.. and Im surprised that they'd get money for that. I thought that they'd make programmes about issues or docu dramas or dramas written by professioinal writers and acted by pro actors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom