The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have to admit that Meghan really got a rough ride from the media when she was pregnant and it seemed to me she couldn't do a thing right. Strangely, the tour of the South Pacific was a roaring success and it was almost as if when they came home they were public enemy number one. In point of fact, a personal invitation from HM for them to visit her at Sandringham. Upon their return a connuniqueywas from HM's Personal Secretary awaited them cancelling the invitation. No explanation was given.

It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't unless, the raging success upset the senior royals and their minions. They were the number three couple and, instead of being able to fulfill the potential HM saw for them when she made them Commonwealth Youth Ambassadors (a position they had shown they were ideally equipped for) a steady drop of poison started to appear in the rags. It didn't just happen, someone made it happen.

18 months after the wedding we hear about Meghan making Kate cry, Meghan said she was he one crying. There was no comment or rebuttal from the palace BUT suddenly I am reading from "sources close to the Cambridge's" that Meghan slammed the door in of Nott Cott in Catherine's face when she took her flowers to apologize. Say what?

I have ways loved my Royal Family, but not so any more.
That is a very interesting observation. However, I wonder if the change in the media coverage was due to Meghan's behavior. Valentine Low, a Times reporter, said he saw Meghan visibly angry with her staff. If the reporters were hearing staff complaints and witnessing confrontations, that may have changed their perceptions of her, which would be reflected in her media coverage.

Moreover, it is just a fact of life that conflict sells. The tabloids have tried to create feuds between the royals for years, particularly the women, i.e. Diana versus Fergie.

With respect to why we are suddenly hearing the story of Meghan supposedly slamming the door in Catherine's face is because Meghan insisted on publicly discussing her side of the story. We have to keep in mind that often, these "sources close to whomever" are often invented and no one from the palace is talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Why couldn't their new daughter be Christened similarly to her brother?
Assuming that the family dynamics were back on a friendly track by then, Harry might choose to bring her back to Britain for the ceremony.
I'm not sure that the family dynamics would have to be "friendly" for the christening. I can't imagine the Queen refusing to handle the new baby's christening any differently than the other great-grandchildren. The family would not take out their differences with Harry and Meghan on the children.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Courtier

I agree, US Royal Watcher.

By friendly I meant friendly enough to communicate respectfully. It is a family owned gown etc. and they may wish to use family rooms and invite some family which would be hard to do if there were no resurrection of trust.
It could also be tricky if family were to attend Girl Sussex's Christening but not feel free to speak due to mistrust.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I think it all comes from not understanding what monarchy is and how monarchy works by Meghan. She talkes about "convention" by George V or VI, as if he was not in the exact same position as HMQ - the monarch. And as a person in the same position, can issue LPs to change that rule if it's needed - and it's needed, not at all based on who Harry married, but on the perception of monarchy in the UK. We don't need so many HRHs in next generation.
Actually, I think it comes from deliberately misrepresenting how monarchy works to the US public which is really clueless. To me, the interview proved that Meghan was less smart and more malicious than I thought before but she isn't this stupid as not to know what her meal ticket includes. It's just like "the Queen doesn't get to decide who is royal and who isn't!" I refuse to believe that she didn't study this part. But since she was playing up to an audience which has a President and not monarch and was ready to fall for her racism accusations as a fact, she felt it was safe to whine, "Oh poor me! Oh my poor child!" After all, she knew that Oprah wouldn't correct her. And Oprah didn't.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

By friendly I meant friendly enough to communicate respectfully. It is a family owned gown etc. and they may wish to use family rooms and invite some family which would be hard to do if there were no resurrection of trust.
It could also be tricky if family were to attend Girl Sussex's Christening but not feel free to speak due to mistrust.
I understand very well and think the same.
And wouldn't this reduce the RF to extras in the Sussex money making machine?
And now that M. said that the wedding ceremony did not mean anything to them,
it would be surprising for both the clergy and the public aswell if now all of a sudden they cling to religious traditions and being in the spotlight, releasing photographs aso
By the way she mocked this black priest who was preaching at the wedding and the choir aso aswell as anybody else with her statement. Otherwise I'd think a fancy down to earth biracial at its best ceremony downtown with a ghospelchoir might suit her better in the future- well even predictions are hard now LOL

Seriously this is a issue for the responsible clergy of CoE, HM's grandchild saying the thing meant nothing to us. I wonder who is going to baptize the girl, maybe not a "vip" priest. I do not know the CoE much but in catholic circles a comparable situation would cause serious problems behind the scenes.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:28 PM
Courtier

So one more new job? which one is now real? The Better up or the Aspen Institute? One is getting paid as a window dressing, the 2nd one is more serious. The Sussex's are Masters in misinformation. So everyone sends out untruth only their information is the right one when it concern's them. There is a saying See who you can trust? I don't believe it is Harry and Meghan. These two need to stop talking. Celebs are like a dime a dozen, but Celebs with titles are a wow at least in their opinions.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

I find it very hard to believe that Meghan didn't understand how the titles/styles system works. Even if she didn't originally - which, OK, I can believe that much - surely Harry or someone else could have explained it to her.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:49 PM
Nobility

BTW, my knowledge of the way CoE functions is rather deficient, but would the Archbishop of Canterbury really be sitting around waiting for a call, in case a royal bride took a fancy to a sudden backyard wedding? Isn't he a busy man with a schedule? I mean, unless there is an emergency, you can't just summon the Queen because you really want to. Is it possible to do with the AoC?
Old 03-24-2021, 12:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I find it very hard to believe that Meghan didn't understand how the titles/styles system works. Even if she didn't originally - which, OK, I can believe that much - surely Harry or someone else could have explained it to her.
If he understood it himself. I agree, she should certainly have known that not all royals have titles, and that Archie would not be in line for HRH.. but TEHY said they were fine with him having no title and just being plain old master Archie. And its bad of her to hint that the "rule might be changed" and Archie would be deprived of security and his "rightful title" because of his race. The RF knew that Meghan's children would be the first African Americans close to the throne in the RF.. did she really think that they were plotting to have new LPs in time to come, to deprive hm of a title because of that? if she did, I wonder she married Harry at all... it would be so wrong.
and she knows too that Charles is not likely to talk about what LP plans he has in the future so she could say these things free of contradiction.

She must know also that the trend is for most RF's to cut back on who has HRH - and that because of that, it IS possible that Archie might not get it.. but that's a trend in nearly all European RFs now.. cutting back on titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
BTW, my knowledge of the way CoE functions is rather deficient, but would the Archbishop of Canterbury really be sitting around waiting for a call, in case a royal bride took a fancy to a sudden backyard wedding? Isn't he a busy man with a schedule? I mean, unless there is an emergency, you can't just summon the Queen because you really want to. Is it possible to do with the AoC?
since it was only a few days before the Royal wedding.. Im sure he was busy with "royal wedding things" so to spend a short time discussing the marriage with them was something he might have expected..
Possibly when she called him, he went over for an hour, explained to her (if she really didnt know!) that he could not MARRY them.. but if they wanted, he'd give them his blessing and let them say their vows..

Quote:

I can't see them being at the christening if there is one. Its too soon, its clear that they can't be trusted and it would probably be stressful to chat and try to focus on the baby when only a few months ago, the Sussexes behaved so bizarrely. Conversation would probably be very stilted and whoever went from the RF would really be wary of what they said...
Old 03-24-2021, 12:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
since it was only a few days before the Royal wedding.. Im sure he was busy with "royal wedding things" so to spend a short time discussing the marriage with them was something he might have expected..
Possibly when she called him, he went over for an hour, explained to her (if she really didnt know!) that he could not MARRY them.. but if they wanted, he'd give them his blessing and let them say their vows..
But that wasn't what Meghan said. She said she called him with the explicit demand of marrying them right away and he came running. She told him by the phone that she wanted a wedding, it wasn't the spending time with them he might have expected. I find it hard to believe that he'd have so much free time on his hands for them - first for emergencies and then to go over the place to explain in person, as if she were stupid, that it couldn't be done.
Perhaps she made use of a time slot loosely reserved for them. They might have been told that they should feel free to contact Justin Welby for questions... which, on the TV, was turned into "He was in for the ride with our spontaneous idea!"
Old 03-24-2021, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
But that wasn't what Meghan said. She said she called him with the explicit demand of marrying them right away and he came running. She told him by the phone that she wanted a wedding, it wasn't the soending time with them he might have expected.
yes Im sure when he heard that he thought "Oh great, she's talking nonsense so I'll have to go there and tell them they can't have a WEDDINg in private.." and he probably thought that it was best to do it face to face, offer them his blessing and let them do their vows. Sadly, his act to try and please them but remind them of the rules has backfired for him.
Possibly he was having a few chats with them about married life, the ceremony etc during the run up to the wedding and had told htem if they had any questions or worries, to call him. He may have expected them to want to chat about things, run over the ceremony, etc etc and it was time he was keeping free in case it was needed. I am sure he never expected a request for a private wedding but what could he do iwhtout being rude but to see them and discuss it..
Old 03-24-2021, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I can't see them being at the christening if there is one. Its too soon, its clear that they can't be trusted and it would probably be stressful to chat and try to focus on the baby when only a few months ago, the Sussexes behaved so bizarrely. Conversation would probably be very stilted and whoever went from the RF would really be wary of what they said...
I agree. And, I think this is something we’re going to see for a very long time even after the pandemic has passed and travel is again unrestricted so no longer an excuse to fall back on. I truly don’t think we’ll see Harry and/or Meghan at anything with members of the RF for a very long time to come, if ever, simply for the reason that now no one can speak in their presence without having to wonder which morning show the conversation verbatim might pop up on the next day or even whether they might be being recorded. Remember, there was already speculation in some corners that Meghan might have been wearing some sort of recording device under that green dress on their last event in the Abbey.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
On my way into work, the radio DJ mentioned Harry has a job. Lol This “news” is everywhere, whether you’re looking for it or not.

But that shows how they consider "working Royals" IMHO. That the service they bring to society is just a fancy plaything for Royals to fill their empty life and nothing special to laude them. hence the negative media even though they try to change the country to the better. They are more than just tiaras and white ties.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But that shows how they consider "working Royals" IMHO. That the service they bring to society is just a fancy plaything for Royals to fill their empty life and nothing special to laude them. hence the negative media even though they try to change the country to the better. They are more than just tiaras and white ties.
Im not sure what you mean but Harry is no longer a working royal... He's a royal prince who has now left his old life in the UK and is taking on a job... and since he's not over popular in the UK, its likely that reactions to his " I've got a job now" are likely to be less than favourable and he'll be seen as taking on some vague role in order to be seen and get paid....
Old 03-24-2021, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
But that wasn't what Meghan said. She said she called him with the explicit demand of marrying them right away and he came running. She told him by the phone that she wanted a wedding, it wasn't the spending time with them he might have expected. I find it hard to believe that he'd have so much free time on his hands for them - first for emergencies and then to go over the place to explain in person, as if she were stupid, that it couldn't be done.
Perhaps she made use of a time slot loosely reserved for them. They might have been told that they should feel free to contact Justin Welby for questions... which, on the TV, was turned into "He was in for the ride with our spontaneous idea!"
He is a busy person. He's the leader of the CoE and Head of the Anglican Communion of roughly 85 million people, sits in the House of Lords etc.

But I'm also sure that if three days before their wedding which he was presiding over, which was going to be watched by a billion people, they called him and asked him to come over and sounded upset or stressed, he would make time. Maybe not rush for the door, but would come over. There are certain perks to being members of the BRF and that's one of them. Along with things like Meghan saying Harry never voted but leaving out the fact that the PM will take your calls if you're HRH. He was also supposed to have got on very well with both of them and grown close when he prepared her for Baptism and Confirmation.

We also don't actually know how they asked. Lambeth Palace at once point suggested it was just a "rehearsal", so maybe he came over to go over things in private with them and offer them support and they sprung a "can we get married NOW?" thing on him.

To which he said "sorry no, but I can give you a blessing over some personalised promises to each other if you want".

Of course now he might be regretting being involved at all since he really didn't need this extra headache at the moment. Because *they* didn't really need him there for a simple exchange of non religious vows.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I agree. And, I think this is something we’re going to see for a very long time even after the pandemic has passed and travel is again unrestricted so no longer an excuse to fall back on. I truly don’t think we’ll see Harry and/or Meghan at anything with members of the RF for a very long time to come, if ever, simply for the reason that now no one can speak in their presence without having to wonder which morning show the conversation verbatim might pop up on the next day or even whether they might be being recorded. Remember, there was already speculation in some corners that Meghan might have been wearing some sort of recording device under that green dress on their last event in the Abbey.
Oh come, I think that's a bit silly. And God knows I don't like her. But I think that the atmosphere was so frosty back then that Im sure all shed pick up would have been talk about trivialities since it was clear that she and Harry were at odds with Will and Kate, and W and K were politely ignoring htem...
I'd say that Will has been wary of them for some time and probably keeps up a very distant polite contact, and now I think that all the RF will be wary and feel afraid that something they say will be twisted and show up on Oprah or some other TV program.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Travel may be bad this summer with new strains of COVID. I think if necessarily there could be a lovely Christening at a US Church for their child. Perhaps a reception later if they return after COVID goes away.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
He is a busy person. He's the leader of the CoE and Head of the Anglican Communion of roughly 85 million people, sits in the House of Lords etc.

But I'm also sure that if three days before their wedding which he was presiding over, which was going to be watched by a billion people, they called him and asked him to come over and sounded upset or stressed, he would make time. Maybe not rush for the door, but would come over. There are certain perks to being members of the BRF and that's one of them. Along with things like Meghan saying Harry never voted but leaving out the fact that the PM will take your calls if you're HRH. He was also supposed to have got on very well with both of them and grown close when he prepared her for Baptism and Confirmation.

We also don't actually know how they asked. Lambeth Palace at once point suggested it was just a "rehearsal", so maybe he came over to go over things in private with them and offer them support and they sprung a "can we get married NOW?" thing on him.

To which he said "sorry no, but I can give you a blessing over some personalised promises to each other if you want".
If she did ring up and ask straight out for a wedding, I can see him being very exasperated but they WERE a royal couple getting married.. and he would take their call and be polite. but he must be wondering if she was listening during those religion classes...
Old 03-24-2021, 01:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh come, I think that's a bit silly. And God knows I don't like her. But I think that the atmosphere was so frosty back then that Im sure all shed pick up would have been talk about trivialities since it was clear that she and Harry were at odds with Will and Kate, and W and K were politely ignoring htem...
I'd say that Will has been wary of them for some time and probably keeps up a very distant polite contact, and now I think that all the RF will be wary and feel afraid that something they say will be twisted and show up on Oprah or some other TV program.
I didn’t say it was reasonable, I said it’s already been floated from several corners within the past year. And, after the Gayle King thing and the train wreck with Oprah, I can’t say I’d blame any of them for refusing to say more than “good morning” or “nice weather we’re having” in the presence of Harry and Meghan. But, it’s hard to do that in the context of family events like Trooping the Colour, Christmas, the pre-Christmas lunch, summer gatherings at Balmoral, etc. so I suspect that, for everyone’s comfort, well no longer see them at those events or, on the off chance that we do, it’ll have that icy and uncomfortable look we saw at the Abbey rather than the comfortable atmosphere we usually see on such occasions and that would really be a shame both for the family and those of us watching.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:29 PM
Majesty

I think the RF are quite good at putting on a face in public.. perhaps not Will so much.. as I think he was unable to hide his annoyance last year. But the rest of them can probably force a smile at public events with people even if they are wary of them. I think that they WILL be reduced to "Lovely weather" etc talk with Meg and H...but they'l meet up occasionallly....
Old 03-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I agree. And I’m still a bit mind blown at the “it’s not their right to take it away” comment. Actually, it is their right. It is 100% the right of the monarch to issue new LPs whenever he or she believes it is necessary. I still go back to the idea that for someone with such obvious disdain for this entire family and way of life, she sure does seem to desperately cling to those titles. That much became clear in their statement about Harry and Archie always being royal and at this point it’s almost become a joke.

Charles will never do that. For one, Archie is his grandson! And how could he issue new LP when one thing he doesn't want to do is issue LP about Camilla not being his queen but just his "princesss consort" (and then Catherine after her?). Charles is not Oliver Cromwell who had Charles I., the brother of Charles' ancestress Elizabeth Stuart of Bohemia, executed during the Glorious Revolution. He would never do something to downplay the Royal rank of his family. He will leave things like that to parliament and I doubt parliament will take the time to deprive Camilla and Archie of their long-established rights to their titles.

We are not talking here about punishing Harry and Meghan, we are talking about changing the inheritance laws of the British Royal family and IMHO Charles will never do something to lower the status of his close family. You don't know if such a diminishment will lead to an erosion and where this will end?

As for "never going to be invited" - do you have an idea what Roxals actually did to each other within the family and got away with that? They might not longer trust Harry and Meghan but in public they will be granted their historically earned places at state ceremonies. And believe me, Harry will swear allegiance as the king's son when Charles is crowned. Struggle for money etc. is all forgotten once it comes to the most sacred part of monarchy! I am so sure we will see Meghan, HRH the Duchess of Sussex on Charles' coronation in church in London.

Closed Thread