The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to put the Sussexes in the American frame of mind as being the same as political leanings. I would describe it more as people in the US seeing Harry and Meghan pop up in entertainment news. Celebrities jump on bandwagons and that makes news. The Oprah interview was geared to an American audience as entertainment. I don't think Americans are going to be people that actually take the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as someone "serious" to listen to but rather as celebrity culture they see on red carpets and in the National Enquirer and tabloids walking their dog or riding their bike or raising a rescued chicken.

I would normally agree that Americans see H&M as celebrities and do not necessarily take them seriously. However, compared for example to Diana's drama in the past, Meghan introduced a new variable to the equation, namely race, which is a topic that triggers a very strong response in the US. And the fact that she is biracial gives her credibility when talking about race discrimination, even though many of her claims were either inaccurate or at least unproven.

Furthermore, as I wrote before, her narrative was a good match for preconceived notions in America that the British monarchy (or monarchy in general) is "undemocratic", elitist, and snobbish.

I guess the mental health issue also resonated with a lot of people. It is actually easy for informed viewers to refute her story about the secret wedding, or Archie not getting a title or security because of his potential skin color, but the story that she was struggling and potentially suicidal, and her request to go away temporarily somewhere was turned down by the Palace, was not denied and is probably true, I think. The fact that Harry did not reach out to his own mental health network to help his wife, or that they never went to anyone else in the Family for assistance (rather than going to HR), is equally puzzling, but it doesn't excuse the uncooperative attitude of the Palace towards her.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I would normally agree that Americans see H&M as celebrities and do not necessarily take them seriously. However, compared for example to Diana's drama in the past, Meghan introduced a new variable to the equation, namely race, which is a topic that triggers a very strong response in the US. And the fact that she is biracial gives her credibility when talking about race discrimination, even though many of her claims were either inaccurate or at least unproven.

Furthermore, as I wrote before, her narrative was a good match for preconceived notions in America that the British monarchy (or monarchy in general) is "undemocratic", elitist, and snobbish.

I guess the mental health issue also resonated with a lot of people. It is actually easy for informed viewers to refute her story about the secret wedding, or Archie not getting a title or security because of his potential skin color, but the story that she was struggling and potentially suicidal, and her request to go away temporarily somewhere was turned down by the Palace, was not denied and is probably true, I think. The fact that Harry did not reach out to his own mental health network to help his wife, or that they never went to anyone else in the Family for assistance (rather than going to HR), is equally puzzling, but it doesn't excuse the uncooperative attitude of the Palace towards her.
what was "the Palace" supposed to do? If Meghan was seriously depressed, then her doctors were the people who would advise and suggest waht treatment would be best...

Old 03-23-2021, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
what was "the Palace" supposed to do? If Meghan was seriously depressed, then her doctors were the people who would advise and suggest waht treatment would be best...
She also stated that she went to HR "at the palace". HR is specifically for the paid employees that work at the palace of which Meghan is not part of. Just stating "the Palace" could mean to somebody in Kalamazoo, Michigan "the Queen".

I might be a senior citizen with a certain insurance Medicare supplement but that doesn't mean I can walk into *any* insurance Medicare supplement provider and ask for assistance. Anyone that is getting medical treatment at all knows that, for the most part, if you want a procedure, a treatment, a prescription or be admitted to an inpatient facility, you do need a doctor's referral. This is why Meghan's statement of not getting help from the Palace doesn't sit right with me at all. From the sounds of it, she walked into HR and requested they set her up for an inpatient visit somewhere (probably of her choice) and she was told that was something they just cannot do. Bottom line is that if that was what she really needed and had doctors backing her up, the "optics" would have been dealt with quite easily. She may not have ended up going where she wanted to go but she would have received the help she needed at the time.

Just another aspect of that whole interview that was so convoluted and without a whole lot of context or any hint of what the solution finally was.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:13 PM
Courtier

You know I was thinking - they were throwing a fit because Archie wasn't an HRH prince- did Princess Eugenie's son get an HRH prince title?
Old 03-23-2021, 05:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
You know I was thinking - they were throwing a fit because Archie wasn't an HRH prince- did Princess Eugenie's son get an HRH prince title?
Nope. He, August Brooksbank, has no title of royalty at all.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
No. Right now he's a great grandchild of the monarch as Archie is. The difference though is that Eugenie's son will never be a grandchild of the monarch which is what the LPs in force now will elevate Archie when Charles becomes king.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No of course he didn't. Children do not get titles from their mother's side....
Old 03-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Gentry

Not this Black Canadian Woman.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
No. Right now he's a great grandchild of the monarch as Archie is. The difference though is that Eugenie's son will never be a grandchild of the monarch which is what the LPs in force now will elevate Archie when Charles becomes king.

To be fair, it was Oprah who expressed indignation at a "great-grandson of the Queen" not having a title. Even Meghan understands what she called "the George V rule" or something like that. What Meghan was actually trying to imply is that she was made aware of discussions about Archie not becoming a prince either when Charles is King, i.e. that the current rules could be changed and that such changes were being considered perhaps because Archie would be biracial.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
To be fair, it was Oprah who expressed indignation at a "great-grandson of the Queen" not having a title. Even Meghan understands what she called "the George V rule" or something like that. What Meghan was actually trying to imply is that she was made aware of discussions about Archie not becoming a prince either when Charles is King, i.e. that the current rules could be changed and that such changes were being considered perhaps because Archie would be biracial.
is Oprah aware that there are grandchildren of the Queen who dont have titles, never mind great grandsons?
Old 03-23-2021, 05:49 PM
Gentry

Hmm, the thing is the interview is already the old news. It was huge and then it disappeared.
Osipi, I love your posts, you went from being neutral to critical. I can imagine how difficult it is to stay on top in Hollywood, it's probably undoable.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
is Oprah aware that there are grandchildren of the Queen who dont have titles, never mind great grandsons?

I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" and said it herself on the interview.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" .
Of course she does.. but my point was that Meghan could have saved her fainting with shock by explaining that not every descendant of the queen has a title.. Peter and Zara Philllips have none at all. But Meghan wanted to put forward her story that "the rules were going to be changed because of Archie's skin colour"..
Old 03-23-2021, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
If there had been no way to view the actual marriage certificate and had Lambeth continued to maintain silence...I wonder if the Sussexes would have continued to insist that they were already married before May 19th?
The Sun (British right-leaning tabloid) has reportedly bought Harry & Meghan's marriage certificate from General Register Office, before the Sussexes spokesperson's statement from Daily Beast. The marriage certificate did show that Harry & Meghan were married on 19th May at Queen's Free Chapel at St. George according to the rites and ceremonies of the Established Church. I personally think the statement from the Sussexes were made on the Daily Beast, because The Sun has released the Harry & Meghan's marriage certificate, less than a day before. To me, the statement is more like damaged control after the "truth" come out and Harry & Meghan don't want to appear to be lying.

Picture of the Marriage Certificate: https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...trip=all&w=960

MEG TIED THE NOT Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s wedding certificate proves couple did NOT marry three days before Windsor ceremony
HARRY and Meghan’s shock TV claim that they married three days before their official ceremony has been exposed as a sham — by their own wedding certificate.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/144118...te-three-days/

Article from Australia's 9 News Honey picking up the news that The Sun bought the marriage certificate

UK publication obtains copy of Harry and Meghan marriage certificate
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/har...0-f0019c2216aa

I agree with previous posters that it's very upsetting that Meghan feel the grand wedding is only for the public spectacle and do not feel the "union & celebration" of a couple. From this I could understand why most British taxpayer could be frustrated on the costs of the wedding.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am pretty sure Oprah has very limited knowledge of British royal titles and who can use them. But the rules were explained to Meghan. Again, she knew about the "George V rule" and said it herself on the interview.

I'm going be cynical and state that I'm sure Oprah (or her team) had already done the research and knew exactly why Archie was not given a royal title from birth. I don't believe that Oprah's reaction was spontaneous.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'm going be cynical and state that I'm sure Oprah (or her team) had already done the research and knew exactly why Archie was not given a royal title from birth. I don't believe that Oprah's reaction was spontaneous.
one gets the feeling that all three of them are pretty bad actors.. but probably Oprah DOESNT know the rules about royal titles. however all she's required to do is ot fake shock and horror at everything Meghan said.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Nobility

Does anyone think the rest of the recorded interview will be released? I hope not. It was not a good look for anyone - not Harry and Meghan, not the RF and not Oprah either. The only ones who can win are the TV channels. Enough damage was done to everyone already.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...cdcf6db8ee1ec7
Old 03-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

He's got a job now :
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56500298
Old 03-23-2021, 07:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
What? I don't care what he does to earn money so long as he leaves his family alone but what does he know about helping people with mental health issues?
That’s BetterUp Inc.’s problem. I view this as a very positive step for H&M to move beyond their “problems” with the BRF and do what they need to do to live happy, fulfilled lives.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
one gets the feeling that all three of them are pretty bad actors.. but probably Oprah DOESNT know the rules about royal titles. however all she's required to do is ot fake shock and horror at everything Meghan said.
I have already posted that I think Oprah set them up. I cannot believe she was so ill prepared she did not know the facts.
The faux shock then "really".
I believe she let them run their mouth off. Then stood back and watched the effect.

Closed Thread