The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Serene Highness

You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...] Charles and Diana's very bitter and public divorce, followed by Diana's tragic early death, would have been enough to mess anyone's head up, but he did seem to be doing OK back then.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...] Charles and Diana's very bitter and public divorce, followed by Diana's tragic early death, would have been enough to mess anyone's head up, but he did seem to be doing OK back then.
That's because he didn't know he was trapped. [...]

Old 03-23-2021, 08:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You never know what's going on in someone's head, but Harry did genuinely seem happy and cheerful at one time [...]

I don't know much about his personal life and I didn't follow him back then, but I think there is a difference between being genuinely happy and cheerful and being a youngster living the high life, which might be the case of Harry in his 20s.

[...]
Old 03-23-2021, 09:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think that's what most people assumed, that they had a private exchange of vows. Very nice - I hope it was a very special and romantic moment for the two of them. But that's not what she said. I don't imagine for a minute that she intended for it to cause a huge fuss with people questioning whether or not the Archbishop of Canterbury had acted illegally or unethically, but she should have stopped to consider that it might. Twisting things to make them sound more exciting or romantic or dramatic or whatever is all right when you're in the primary school playground, but not when you're doing an interview being watched by millions of people around the world.

And, once it became clear that the remark had caused problems, why not issue a statement clarifying what had happened, instead of just ignoring it?

Exactly. Iím willing to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt that she didnít intend for this to cause a mess for the AOC. She probably didnít think about it- but she should have. That is a consequence of lying though.

It really surprises me too that they didnít bother to issue a statement clarifying this until AFTER it had been absolutely proved that they lied. She knew it was causing problems. It looks bad IMO. She could have saved a lot of headaches and just said- it was a private exchange of vows, but we were not legally married that day. Just admit it.

Why wait until youíre a proven liar? It looks much worse to wait to me. I mean- they had no problem clarifying at least about Harryís grandparents, no problem spilling private family conversations after the interview, but they couldnít clarify this?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

A popular young guy with money to burn to say the least and no real responsibility other than not totally embarrass himself or his family( fail on that) and beautiful girlfriend... it’s easy to ignore feelings of unease, unhappiness and sadness in the whirl of fun.

Now he has Money to earn, he is middle aged with seemingly no close friends of his own around with a high maintenance wife and son with another on the way though he still low key embarrassing himself with the inane things he says and does. He can’t hide from himself anymore or avoid his problems with distractions.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Exactly. Iím willing to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt that she didnít intend for this to cause a mess for the AOC. She probably didnít think about it- but she should have. That is a consequence of lying though.

She will probably say she didn't lie, but rather simply misunderstood their personal exchange of vows for an actual marriage ceremony, which is really surprising, but I guess not impossible.

Her "misunderstanding" obviously caused an embarrassment for the Archbishop, but other misunderstandings may be more serious. For example, she may have misled many people, especially in America, into believing that the rules for the use of royal titles and styles in the United Kingdom include race-based criteria, which is not true and a serious accusation considering that those rules are part of British public law.

She may have also misled people into thinking that holding an HRH title is a necessary requirement for personal police protection in the UK, which again is not true. In fact, being an HRH is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition to get police protection in the UK.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post

It really surprises me too that they didnít bother to issue a statement clarifying this until AFTER it had been absolutely proved that they lied. She knew it was causing problems. It looks bad IMO. She could have saved a lot of headaches and just said- it was a private exchange of vows, but we were not legally married that day. Just admit it.

Why wait until youíre a proven liar? It looks much worse to wait to me. I mean- they had no problem clarifying at least about Harryís grandparents, no problem spilling private family conversations after the interview, but they couldnít clarify this?
I think they were a bit wary about annoying the queen,. She IS the monarch after all and I think even Harry realised it looked bad if he said his grandmother was making racist remarks, so he pulled back.
but Meghan is less sensitive on how her remarks look. She probably didn't realise that it looked so arrogant and stupid.. to claim to have been privately married.. and that involving the Archbishop of Canterbury, an eminent churchman, wasn't a good look either. Probably took a little while before she came to realise that she had made herself look stupid and deceitful and rude and that she had to back down a bit.
And it was so dumb. There was some motivation behind the other false statements about Archie etc.. it was part of their plan to make the RF seem heartless and racist. But what was to be gained by saying "Oh nobody knows this but we got married a few days before our official wedding"....
Old 03-23-2021, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She will probably say she didn't lie, but rather simply misunderstood their personal exchange of vows for an actual marriage ceremony, which is really surprising, but I guess not impossible.

Her "misunderstanding" obviously caused an embarrassment for the Archbishop, but other misunderstandings may be more serious. For example, she may have misled many people, especially in America, into believing that the rules for the use of royal titles and styles in the United Kingdom include race-based criteria, which is not true and a serious accusation considering that those rules are part of British public law.

She may have also misled people into thinking that holding an HRH title is a necessary requirement for personal police protection in the UK, which again is not true. In fact, being an HRH is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition to get police protection in the UK.
I do 't think M. will say anything concerning her lies.
But is there any awareness about the points you listed?
Is anybody in the US really interested ? Is there a discussion about the aftermath of the interview? In Europe nobody really cares(except maybe the british royalists), but only h&m are feeding the tabloids once more LOL

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I am not so sure. You can't talk about all of Hollywood. I remember how easy it was for "His Highness Prince Frederick of Anhalt" to gain entrance into high up Hollywood circles and how he then married Zsa Zsa Gabor, making her the "Princess of Anhalt". That Frederick was not (!) a king's son but just a German of unsavoury reputation who had payed a penniless princess for adoption. He appears to have a nice character, though. Or at least nice manners. And he made his fortune in Hollywood!
Sorry, that was 50 years ago,. You can't compare it with today's climate. I just have a feeling that big businesses will be very careful with the Success, they don't need scandals of this scale and they don't want to lose their UK audience.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
Is anybody in the US really interested ? Is there a discussion about the aftermath of the interview? In Europe nobody really cares(except maybe the british royalists), but only h&m are feeding the tabloids once more LOL

Thanks.
I think there has certianly been a lot of discussion on the American media, she accused the RF of heartlessness and racism.. two things that are pretty bad.. and since Oprah didn't challenge here, a lot of people may well beleive what she siad.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Nobility

Did Meghan personally call the man who really encountered difficulties because of her desire to play up to her audience and claim the additional romantics of "just for us"? I only found a snippet of their statement. Did they say they were sorry for inconveniencing the AoC, as it has emerged that now there are tons of pleas for weddings that vicars are not authorized to conduct? Did she call Justin Welby to apologize since she so loves personal touches?

Gayle? Hello? Anyone?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think there has certianly been a lot of discussion on the American media, she accused the RF of heartlessness and racism.. two things that are pretty bad.. and since Oprah didn't challenge here, a lot of people may well beleive what she siad.
Well, maybe what I expected. so no real interest in the truth but a lot of fuss.
By the way I was surprised, did not know Oprah but if her style is so appreciated to the US audience I am no longer surprised they are called superficial.
Any serious Journalist or even boulevard journalist in Europe makes better interviews than what I saw from this Oprah. No questions, no deeper interest, just eyebrows rising..... cheap, very cheap indeed.
And considered the average american knowing very little about history or monarchy the whole mess is perfect.
But I hope the negative impact for the two is bigger than the interest in them and will hit back, at least anybody donating money should think twice.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Did Meghan personally call the man who really encountered difficulties because of her desire to play up to her audience and claim the additional romantics of "just for us"? I only found a snippet of their statement. Did they say they were sorry for inconveniencing the AoC, as it has emerged that now there are tons of pleas for weddings that vicars are not authorized to conduct? Did she call Justin Welby to apologize since she so loves personal touches?

Gayle? Hello? Anyone?
The statement was apparently made directly to the Daily Beast that Yukari linked to this morning. So all they said was the very brief snippet. No Gayle saying how sorry they were for the confusion or anything.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marria...hey-told-oprah

I wonder if they've decided it was a mistake to have Gayle comment last week because it got them a lot less sympathy for sharing private conversations and still making themselves out to be the victims whilst winning a privacy claim themselves.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post

Thanks.

The general US public may not be interested, but the interview had an impact in the US as it was commented by media personalities, talk show hosts, newspaper columnists (including former presidential speechwriters), and even politicians/Members of Congress. Even the White House spokesperson was asked about it, although the matter was not addressed directly in the response. So it affected IMHO the image of the Royal Family or even of the United Kingdom in the US.

You have to keep in mind that the United States is a republic where, for example, the constitution guarantees a republican form of government to all the states and both the states and the federal government are barred from granting titles of nobility or knighthoods. Public officers are also barred from accepting those titles from foreign countries and naturalized citizens must renounce them upon naturalization.

On top of that, American kids are raised from childhood in US schools with this idea that US independence (what is called the American Revolution in the USA) was a just rebellion against a tyrannical King (George III). The nuances of the causes of the revolution, which BTW are spelled out far more clearly in the Declaration of Independence, are normally not properly discussed in public schools, and there is even less discussion on whether King George was personally at fault for the grievances of the colonists or, if the blame actually lay constitutionally with the British Parliament and the King's ministers.

In any case, what I am trying to say is that all of the above, plus the American "ideology" of meritocracy and equal opportunity (or at least the illusion thereof) make many Americans naturally suspicious of royalty and monarchy, and inclined to believe the worst about royals (the Americans who thought otherwise, i.e. the Loyalists, basically left after the Revolution to settle in Canada, which is still a monarchy, or were assimilated in the US).

It doesn't take too much then for Meghan to sound "credible" to Americans when she says for example that the BRF is "racist". Actually, even more so in this case, because Americans also tend to over-analyze social relations from the perspective of race compared to people in other multi-racial countries.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Someone did suggest that maybe they could just adopt a symbol, as someone else once known as Prince did !
Sorry, lost you there, what symbol and which Prince?
Old 03-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Nobility

We had moved on from the discussion of the interview as it related to the wedding, but since it has been brought back up with the release of this statement:

I recently relived through reading bits of the old threads, as I am fond of doing, several of the royal wedding threads. I stopped by for a bit of reading in a couple of the Sussex wedding threads.

I was struck with such feeling of sadness to be reminded of Meghan's words that "this wasn't our day" and it was a "spectacle" for "the world" because if you remember the feeling at the time, this is so dissonant to the feeling. Those live threads are filled, in a way none of the other royal wedding threads are, of how personal this day seemed to the couple: how Harry and Meghan seemed to be in a world of their own in their love for each other, how the selections of elements seemed so personal to them in a way never done before, how Harry seemed overwhelmed with loving nerves, how remarkable and poised Doria was as she held back tears for her daughter.

I am very saddened to think that amidst this joy and raw emotion, the couple did not feel that this was their day of celebration and union.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Sorry, lost you there, what symbol and which Prince?
The late musical artist and songwriter Prince Rogers Nelson who went by his stage name "Prince" briefly used a symbol in lieu of his name.

Quote:
In the midst of a contractual dispute with Warner Bros in 1993, he changed his stage name to the unpronounceable symbol (known to fans as the "Love Symbol"), and was sometimes referred to as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince or simply the Artist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(musician)

That's the background for the joke about Prince Harry.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:08 AM
Royal Highness

No one forced them to have an extravaganza. They could easily have had an elegant yet cozy private wedding with just the closest family and friends like his cousins. So I can’t feel sorry for them in anyway.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
We had moved on from the discussion of the interview as it related to the wedding, but since it has been brought back up with the release of this statement:

I recently relived through reading bits of the old threads, as I am fond of doing, several of the royal wedding threads. I stopped by for a bit of reading in a couple of the Sussex wedding threads.

I was struck with such feeling of sadness to be reminded of Meghan's words that "this wasn't our day" and it was a "spectacle" for "the world" because if you remember the feeling at the time, this is so dissonant to the feeling. Those live threads are filled, in a way none of the other royal wedding threads are, of how personal this day seemed to the couple: how Harry and Meghan seemed to be in a world of their own in their love for each other, how the selections of elements seemed so personal to them in a way never done before, how Harry seemed overwhelmed with loving nerves, how remarkable and poised Doria was as she held back tears for her daughter.

I am very saddened to think that amidst this joy and raw emotion, the couple did not feel that this was their day of celebration and union.
They didn't give a tuppeny damn, what the public thought... at least Meg certianly didn't. I thoguht at the time that Harry at least looked rather desperate, clinigng to Meghan...
Old 03-23-2021, 10:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The general US public may not be interested, but the interview had an impact in the US as it was commented by media personalities, talk show hosts, newspaper columnists (including former presidential speechwriters), and even politicians/Members of Congress. Even the White House spokesperson was asked about it, although the matter was not addressed directly in the response. So it affected IMHO the image of the Royal Family or even of the United Kingdom in the US.

You have to keep in mind that the United States is a republic where, for example, the constitution guarantees a republican form of government to all the states and both the states and the federal government are barred from granting titles of nobility or knighthoods. Public officers are also barred from accepting those titles from foreign countries and naturalized citizens must renounce them upon naturalization.

On top of that, American kids are raised from childhood in US schools with this idea that US independence (what is called the American Revolution in the USA) was a just rebellion against a tyrannical King (George III). The nuances of the causes of the revolution, which BTW are spelled out far more clearly in the Declaration of Independence, are normally not properly discussed in public schools, and there is even less discussion on whether King George was personally at fault for the grievances of the colonists or, if the blame actually lay constitutionally with the British Parliament and the King's ministers.

In any case, what I am trying to say is that all of the above, plus the American "ideology" of meritocracy and equal opportunity (or at least the illusion thereof) make many Americans naturally suspicious of royalty and monarchy, and inclined to believe the worst about royals (the Americans who thought otherwise, i.e. the Loyalists, basically left after the Revolution to settle in Canada, which is still a monarchy, or were assimilated in the US).

It doesn't take too much then for Meghan to sound "credible" to Americans when she says for example that the BRF is "racist". Actually, even more so in this case, because Americans also tend to overanalyze social relations from the perspective of race compared to people in other multi-racial countries.
Thank you, I know this aswell, but being in Europe at the moment I am not up to date with the us media coverage. So, the average american who watches it, has no interest in the truth but simply stucks to the lies Meghan&H spread, this is of course sad but if it is really tragig I don't know. After all it's only Us citizens, maybe the two hope to get donations for Archwell but the big money will not come from these people I think.
The two might come to some popularity just like other US phenomenals like the Kradashians who do what? LOL

I often wondered what this subtitle of the boom " the making of a modern royal family" was meant to relate to. The Sussex family who needs the royal background to attract some attention, because their own actions do not. Or if the author dreamt of the Sussex making the BRF a new modern "better" kind of royal family, yet their drama, lies and bitterness does not help anybody not even themselves.
Though being jot sure what all the change in society will bring in the future and to monarchies I hope the BRF will live out the Sussex couple and their breed.

Closed Thread