The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

I think everyone's circumstances have been different. George VI tragically dying in his mid-50s meant that neither the Queen nor Prince Charles had that opportunity for time out, other than the short period that the Queen spent in Malta. William and Kate moved in together in their early 20s. By the time Harry met Meghan, he was into his 30s, and he'd left the Army, and he already had a high public profile. He'd done solo tour abroad long before they got engaged. It might well have worked out better if he and Meghan had had that time out, before doing full-on Royal duties, but I can see why it might not have seemed like such an easy option for them - he'd have been stepping back from a role he was already in.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It might well have worked out better if he and Meghan had had that time out, before doing full-on Royal duties, but I can see why it might not have seemed like such an easy option for them - he'd have been stepping back from a role he was already in.
It wouldn't have worked out better, IMO. Meghan *wanted* this royal shtick. She was ready to hit the ground running. They only had some 15 years at most before William's kids pushed them out of the headlines and turned them into just-another-Windsor-family-different-than-the-heirs. They wouldn't have wasted 3 or 5 of those years on training Meghan and settling into family life, especially if, as they routinely say, they had been discussing leaving (before they catch themselves and start insisting that no, no, they were fully committed to the job).

I hope this is the end but as we know, the Sussexes are extremely good at forgetting what they said before. I hope we don't get to see them baring their souls publicly, thrashing everyone around in the process, but I don't have much faith. As I said, I see them as effectively "sacked" from any public connection with royalty and they need media attention if they want to achieve something in their chosen field, which, of course, relies on them being famous. Biting the hand that made them famous has been their MO this far and I don't expect this to change.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I could not agree more! Diana and Kate were brilliant, but I think 90% of women who have given birth only hours ago are not in the mood to stand in front of photographers with a beatific smile and a perfect blow out.

When HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg left hospital last May some three days after the caesarean delivery of her baby son, there was some sniping online that she still looked pregnant and was walking as if she had been struck by an SUV.

Errm...Poor Stephanie looked and walked like many/most new mothers after a c-section.

I think the post birth photo op expectation is unreasonable and unfair.

Why can't the release of a few photos be enough?

I've always liked how the Dutch royals handled the post birth presentations for W-A and Maxima's daughters. W-A came out with the newborn and answered some questions while Maxima was discreetly moved into an awaiting car. Later father and daughter joined her and the family left the hospital for home. There was a slight change for Arianne's birth when W-A appeared without her but still answered questions and spoke about the new baby.

Later the family could release photos of the new baby to the world.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
It wouldn't have worked out better, IMO. Meghan *wanted* this royal shtick. She was ready to hit the ground running. They only had some 15 years at most before William's kids pushed them out of the headlines and turned them into just-another-Windsor-family-different-than-the-heirs. They wouldn't have wasted 3 or 5 of those years on training Meghan and settling into family life, especially if, as they routinely say, they had been discussing leaving (before they catch themselves and start insisting that no, no, they were fully committed to the job).

e.
It is a bit difficult to work out what their plans were. And they themselves seem to be saying now that they were thinking of leaving from a long time back even before they got married. So yes I think that they did have to "rush into" royal life, have a baby, be seen on tours etc because that gave them exposure and that would mean that they were well known when they took off for America..
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It is a bit difficult to work out what their plans were. And they themselves seem to be saying now that they were thinking of leaving from a long time back even before they got married. So yes I think that they did have to "rush into" royal life, have a baby, be seen on tours etc because that gave them exposure and that would mean that they were well known when they took off for America..
This gives a new meaning to the "spectacle for the world", as Meghan called her wedding with all the aristocratic hauteur of a seasoned royal for a year and a half. They, and she especially, needed to be seen in their royal fairytale to visually show the world just how royal they were in the hopes of paving a smoother road to the kind of fame they wanted. Else, Meghan might have bene seen as just another mediocre actress who married Prince Harry, yes, but without this visibility she wouldn't have had the royal fairydust connection. It was literally a spectacle, allowing the world to see her as princess.

I only wonder why they opted to put the Flowers on Colonialism, Oppression and Racism on her veil. If I felt so strongly about something, I wouldn't have made it a prominent part of my big day.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think the post birth photo op expectation is unreasonable and unfair.

Why can't the release of a few photos be enough?
One more time - the discussion is not over "is it a good tradition or not", that was beaten over to death when Archie was born. What is interesting now, is that after a pretty clear statement from their comms team that they want to keep the birth private and do all of the public things after having some time to celebrate as a family, Meghan is now claiming that simply they "were not asked to" do that.

If you add it to the (growing) list of lies in the Oprah interview... Well, the irony is, we're finally getting an honest picture of Harry and Meghan.
Quote:
I think everyone's circumstances have been different. George VI tragically dying in his mid-50s meant that neither the Queen nor Prince Charles had that opportunity for time out, other than the short period that the Queen spent in Malta. William and Kate moved in together in their early 20s. By the time Harry met Meghan, he was into his 30s, and he'd left the Army, and he already had a high public profile. He'd done solo tour abroad long before they got engaged. It might well have worked out better if he and Meghan had had that time out, before doing full-on Royal duties, but I can see why it might not have seemed like such an easy option for them - he'd have been stepping back from a role he was already in.
I don't think one can compare their situation to this of William and Catherine. They were young - still at univeristy, and while William did some things, he was not an active, working royal as Harry was, when the relationship began. So here the comparison between brothers is not working.

But they had the experience on how to do that - somehow - with Camilla and Charles. Just introduce Meghan slowly, do a couple of things, let her know how the work looks like, what is expected, and so on. She didn't need to hit the ground running or be on (almost) Harry's level from the start. And then increase the workload after she's accustomed to the job - if that could ever happen, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Privacy means a lot to the people H&M want to hobnob with

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...with-a-listers
I think the theory presented in the article is somewhat true - Meghan got back to what she knows from her previous life, and she feels that they need to be out there. (But I think it was also born out of a desperate need to tell the world how awful their life was, so partially that).

Can you imagine Michele Obama airing her family's dirty laundry on CBS like that? Or Amal Clooney saying how she was mistreated by her in-laws because of her ethnicity?

While the interview was a mistake - if they really want to shoot for that Clooney/Obama type of fame - I think the biggest mistake was allowing King to tell on national television that Harry talked with Charles and William. Now everyone - BRF, celebrities - will be wary of what is said in a conversation with the Sussexes, knowing that they can be used for "getting their names out there" in 0.2 seconds with one phone call.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
This article quotes the original Twitter announcement by the charity concerned. It doesn’t mention any ceiling board.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...texas-23543459

The shelter wrote: "Today, the news of our damages reached Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex!
"Through their nonprofit, they are supporting us by replacing the roof at our transitional housing facility & helping us meet our immediate needs. THANK YOU, ARCHEWELL FOUNDATION!"
I live in Dallas TX and can assure you, they didn’t have “roof” damage.

Here is a local report that clearly shows that it was the ceiling board caused by frozen pipes.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/2-...ursts/2557429/
Old 03-21-2021, 09:56 AM
Commoner

I find all this ridiculously fascinating. I blame the Covid restrictions :-)

But I wonder if I've managed to miss a few things, namely the bits and pieces Oprah promised to air a week after the interview. Where can I find that? Or, hasn't it surfaced yet? Did they think better of it?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
I find all this ridiculously fascinating. I blame the Covid restrictions :-)

But I wonder if I've managed to miss a few things, namely the bits and pieces Oprah promised to air a week after the interview. Where can I find that? Or, hasn't it surfaced yet? Did they think better of it?
Not a week - the next day, on CBS's morning show. I've posted (I think) all of the videos here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2378729
Old 03-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Not a week - the next day, on CBS's morning show. I've posted (I think) all of the videos here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2378729

Thanks a lot. I missed that.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Canadian Ipsos poll on the Meghan and Harry interview and the Royal Family.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7704854/r...n-markle-role/

58% of Canadians back Meghan and believe that she was treated unfairly by the BRF.
Please do not use this poll as to how Canadians feel, it was an on-line poll with Ipsos members so not very scientific at all. Everyone I know, (and admittedly not thousands of people, thought the interview was horrible) so don't let the numbers in this poll be your argument.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Shame if they are so popular in Canada, that they didn't realise this a year ago. Still, noone in Can wanted to pay their security...
Old 03-21-2021, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

I ask this not to cause an argument - but why can he/they not see that what he perceives is radically exaggerated in some cases and generalized in others?

I do not know how they can remedy this. They have dug themselves a hole. For what? Money, fame or bragging rights. They need everyone they know they won and brought an institution to its knees?

I don't see a couple in love, I don't see a couple free - I see children angry at the world because they didn't get things their way.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
One more time - the discussion is not over "is it a good tradition or not", that was beaten over to death when Archie was born. What is interesting now, is that after a pretty clear statement from their comms team that they want to keep the birth private and do all of the public things after having some time to celebrate as a family, Meghan is now claiming that simply they "were not asked to" do that.

If you add it to the (growing) list of lies in the Oprah interview... Well, the irony is, we're finally getting an honest picture of Harry and Meghan.

I don't think one can compare their situation to this of William and Catherine. They were young - still at univeristy, and while William did some things, he was not an active, working royal as Harry was, when the relationship began. So here the comparison between brothers is not working.

But they had the experience on how to do that - somehow - with Camilla and Charles. Just introduce Meghan slowly, do a couple of things, let her know how the work looks like, what is expected, and so on. She didn't need to hit the ground running or be on (almost) Harry's level from the start. And then increase the workload after she's accustomed to the job - if that could ever happen, I guess.

I think the theory presented in the article is somewhat true - Meghan got back to what she knows from her previous life, and she feels that they need to be out there. (But I think it was also born out of a desperate need to tell the world how awful their life was, so partially that).

Can you imagine Michele Obama airing her family's dirty laundry on CBS like that? Or Amal Clooney saying how she was mistreated by her in-laws because of her ethnicity?

While the interview was a mistake - if they really want to shoot for that Clooney/Obama type of fame - I think the biggest mistake was allowing King to tell on national television that Harry talked with Charles and William. Now everyone - BRF, celebrities - will be wary of what is said in a conversation with the Sussexes, knowing that they can be used for "getting their names out there" in 0.2 seconds with one phone call.
A list of lies will surely be available, one can easily see when M.lies, her eyes go left when she invents things like all liar's do.
Bit look at this, not the best but one compilation, interesting pics I had not seen yet from her "career" before marrying in.
https://youtu.be/TcH2UIuVB7s
Old 03-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I ask this not to cause an argument - but why can he/they not see that what he perceives is radically exaggerated in some cases and generalized in others?

I do not know how they can remedy this. They have dug themselves a hole. For what? Money, fame or bragging rights. They need everyone they know they won and brought an institution to its knees?

I don't see a couple in love, I don't see a couple free - I see children angry at the world because they didn't get things their way.
I completely agree with you here. Right after the interview with Oprah aired I wrote that this whole mess was caused because the Sussexes didn't get exactly what they wanted exactly how they wanted exactly when they wanted and I stand by that opinion.

Meghan and Harry see and think only about Meghan and Harry. It's "their way or no way". They weren't even able to wait until some sort of exit strategy is negotiated with the BRF, just went and started the website, thinking it will get them what they wanted, when in reality, without doing that, they might've actually get (at least) some of it...

They can easily remedy this - stop their "woe is me" act, stop portraying themselves as victims of big, bad BRF and actually putting their work first, before their personal grudges against the monarchy. If they put in the work, people would follow, but they seem to be not interested in that.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
Please do not use this poll as to how Canadians feel, it was an on-line poll with Ipsos members so not very scientific at all. Everyone I know, (and admittedly not thousands of people, thought the interview was horrible) so don't let the numbers in this poll be your argument.
Not all online (or offline) polls are scientifically sampled, however, this poll was. From the article linked to by Curryong:

Quote:
This poll was conducted between March 11 and March 12, 2021, with a sample of 1,000 Canadians aged 18+ interviewed online. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. This poll is accurate to within ± 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadians aged 18+ been polled.
More from the article:

Quote:
Fifty-eight per cent of Canadians agreed that the Royal Family treated Markle unfairly because of her race, according to the poll. Women and people between the ages of 18 and 34 were more likely to agree, but a majority of respondents supported the notion across every demographic. Black respondents were most likely to support the notion at 98 per cent.

Eight in 10 people said that Harry and Markle made the right decision to leave the Royal Family last year, according to the poll.

[...] Nearly eight in 10 Canadians felt the Queen has done a good job in her role.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They were apparently offered a "time out" period not once, but twice. A source told The Sun that before their wedding the Queen offered to let them live without the Duke and Duchess of Sussex title and to let Meghan carry on acting and have a slower transition to royal life, but that Meghan turned her down because she was happy to stop acting and jump right in to being a full-time working royal (as she told us all during the engagement interview). After Archie's birth when it was apparent that they were unhappy with a lot of aspects of the role and their lives, the Queen also is said to have offered to create a new type of position for them in South Africa, which is a place that is very special to them. It would allow them to spend a few years away from the British tabloid press and continuing to do royal work but in a different capacity that may be a better fit, but again they turned her down.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Privacy means a lot to the people H&M want to hobnob with

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...with-a-listers
Meghan's stance on privacy is well recorded in the interview. It was nothing short of simple and brilliant!

The article is overreaching- though this is not surprising.
I guess no one bothered to remind the author that- the couple have been friends with Clooneys for sometime and Beyoncé was one of the first people to publicly praise Meghan for speaking up and out after the interview!
Old 03-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
They were apparently offered a "time out" period not once, but twice. A source told The Sun that before their wedding the Queen offered to let them live without the Duke and Duchess of Sussex title and to let Meghan carry on acting and have a slower transition to royal life, but that Meghan turned her down because she was happy to stop acting and jump right in to being a full-time working royal (as she told us all during the engagement interview). After Archie's birth when it was apparent that they were unhappy with a lot of aspects of the role and their lives, the Queen also is said to have offered to create a new type of position for them in South Africa, which is a place that is very special to them. It would allow them to spend a few years away from the British tabloid press and continuing to do royal work but in a different capacity that may be a better fit, but again they turned her down.
That is interesting, does the first point 're a slower entry in to royal life with an option for Meghan to keep on working turn in to Meghan being told to keep on acting for the money.
I think they have turned and twisted a number of things.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Not all online (or offline) polls are scientifically sampled, however, this poll was. From the article linked to by Curryong:

Fifty-eight per cent of Canadians agreed that the Royal Family treated Markle unfairly because of her race, according to the poll. Women and people between the ages of 18 and 34 were more likely to agree, but a majority of respondents supported the notion across every demographic. Black respondents were most likely to support the notion at 98 per cent

More from the article:
Those figures are shocking. To think that six in ten Canadians actually believe that the RF were racist towards MM.

What's truly awful is that nearly every single one of the million or so black Canadians believe that the RF treated MM unfairly because of her race.

Mr & Mrs Windsor have done a great amount of damage to the reputation of the RF all round the world. And Oprah Winfrey has given them the stage on which to spread their lies about race & titles. And to smear the entire family.

Closed Thread