Courtier

Privacy means a lot to the people H&M want to hobnob with

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...with-a-listers

Old 03-21-2021, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry didn’t paint either of his parents as bad or his childhood as horrible. I think it was one remark in the context of being a child of divorced parents, apart from both at times, royal life on royal estates away from the life of ordinary people and to a large extent subject to inflexible schedules followed by most of his royal relatives and his father’s workload. Charles self-confessedly did not say very much of his sons for weeks at a time before and after his separation from Diana.
I don't think its a dig at the parents either about the bikes. With the parents he had and the lifestyle he had, Harry grew up to be more familiar on a horse than on a bike. He followed his dad into playing polo and, IIRC, the reason James Hewittt even became a twinkle in Diana's eyes is that he was hired as a riding instructor. Harry's childhood bike kind of had a snort and a tail.

I grew up in a Detroit neighborhood where a bike was the primary method of transportation for kids until we were old enough to get a driver's license. Riding a horse was something we did once in a blue moon on a field trip with the Girl Scouts or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

Good article that makes a whole lot of sense. It really says so much better what I've been trying to say in that doing this interview wasn't their best foot forward. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Anyone would think, judging by the reactions of the British Press, that the Sussexes have been sitting down each week with TV personalities, chatting about life in the BRF, since they left in March last year instead of one single solitary interview.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Anyone would think, judging by the reactions of the British Press, that the Sussexes have been sitting down each week with TV personalities, chatting about life in the BRF, since they left in March last year instead of one single solitary interview.
What makes you think they've finished yet? They don't appear to be a couple putting any brakes on themselves so I think we'll be hearing from them again, perhaps as soon as after the Queen's 12 month review, perhaps after the findings of the investigation of the accused racism and bullying issues are made public but I doubt they're going to keep their heads down any time soon. I think they like to be seen and heard.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 AM
Majesty

The Queen’s twelve month review has already been and gone, with all loose ends tied up. And the Sussexes did not speak at all in 2020, nor do I expect the couple to sit down to such a wide ranging interview involving the BRF again. Meghan is entering her last months of pregnancy, there’s Archewell to fully launch and Netflix and Spotify work to begin, and Harry’s Apple show with Oprah on mental health during COVID to complete.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
The Queen’s twelve month review has already been and gone, with all loose ends tied up. And the Sussexes did not speak at all in 2020, nor do I expect the couple to sit down to such a wide ranging interview involving the BRF again. Meghan is entering her last months of pregnancy, there’s Archewell to fully launch and Netflix and Spotify work to begin, and Harry’s Apple show with Oprah on mental health during COVID to complete.
I hope you're right on this. They've got a lot on their plate going forward and the new baby to welcome into the family. They've also stated that they'll not be talking about the BRF (the past) again. Hopefully, they've stated what they felt they needed to state and now are moving forward.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Technically they did via "Finding Freedom", and that excluding the many tweets of their unofficial spokeperson, Omid Scobie.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:54 AM
Majesty

Scobie reports on many royals. And if he is the Sussexes spokesman then people like Robert Jobson are the spokespeople for Charles and the Cambridges. Jobson’s written books on both.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Thank you for sharing, it's rather brilliant.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Scobie reports on many royals. And if he is the Sussexes spokesman then people like Robert Jobson are the spokespeople for Charles and the Cambridges. Jobson’s written books on both.
Scobie rarely reports on other royals, when someone on Twitter asked him about why he didn't cover Sophie's events a couple of months ago, he simply said that many people in the US didn't care much about her.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:27 AM
Majesty

He reports on the Cambridges, on Charles and on Camilla as I’ve read his tweets. As for Sophie, well she was pretty well ignored by most of the royal reporters until after the Sussexes left, when they began covering several more of her engagements, so Scobie’s not alone there. .
Old 03-21-2021, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Piry that (according to M&H) there was no photoshoot at the hospital offered.
I, for one, was applauding her decision *not* to go and have to stand there, all dolled up, just hours after giving birth.
I think it is an inhumane 'tradition'.
I could not agree more! Diana and Kate were brilliant, but I think 90% of women who have given birth only hours ago are not in the mood to stand in front of photographers with a beatific smile and a perfect blow out.

When HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg left hospital last May some three days after the caesarean delivery of her baby son, there was some sniping online that she still looked pregnant and was walking as if she had been struck by an SUV.

Errm...Poor Stephanie looked and walked like many/most new mothers after a c-section.

I think the post birth photo op expectation is unreasonable and unfair.

Why can't the release of a few photos be enough?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-21-2021, 04:20 AM
Aristocracy

It's a 30 second photo op as they're leaving the hospital - not unreasonable at all in my view.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I only heard that they wouldn't be returning to royal duties. Not much of a "review". THEY told the Queen that!
Old 03-21-2021, 04:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Let's agree to disagree, I think he is playing the victim and complaining about his "horrible childhood". I really don't understand why, unless it's to paint Charles and Diana as bad parents, who never took him on a bike ride, note that Harry is painting Diana as a bad mother here as well.
That was a hilarious statement only because the press were able to immediately find many pictures of Harry literally on the back of Charles's bike in a little baby seat and later his own little bike when older. Diana and William were there as well.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...hood-photos/6/

Others also noted that there were entire months in the Summer that Charles and the kids disappeared to Balmoral or places like Majorca with their Dad and later on skiing which is more than a lot of kids get.

Whilst Charles was obviously extremely busy a lot of the time and being a young kid in a breaking marriage is awful, it seems he DID take Harry on a fair few bike rides specifically so once again it comes across as "their truth" not actually the facts.

I commend him for wanting to raise Archie differently than he was raised if that's what he feels is right but the specific thing he mentioned there is ironic. Did he not remember or did he just think it sounded like a good comment and didn't care if it was true? He could have picked any number of things that weren't easily disproven.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The bike comments highlight how much of "Harry and Meghan's truth" seems to differ from the facts. I'm intrigued by their process - do they actually believe what they are saying is the truth or do they know it isn't but think it sounds good - i.e. are they doing it purely for PR, selling their narrative reason or because they genuinely believe the things they say.

The guardian article is interesting as up to now the guardian (despite being traditionally anti-monarchy) has been relatively supportive of H&M.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Thank you for sharing, it's rather brilliant.
In Finding Freedom a holiday/ visit at the Clooneys home is described in detail, who was there, what they did. Motor cycles, baby talk dinner.

Nothing earth shattering but still private and personal, and information that must have came from somebody who was there.
By the way did anybody notice that in the interview Meghan said that she already knew Eugenie, but she had previously told us she knew nothing of Harry or the family.

I have came to the conclusion that when Meghan says she knows somebody it is because at some point she has been introduced or had a 1 minute conversation. I have been to a royal garden party and met Charles and Princess Alexandra, I don't tell people I know them. I went tonguetied and
nodded my head all the time.
Imagine me with nothing to say.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The bike comments highlight how much of "Harry and Meghan's truth" seems to differ from the facts. I'm intrigued by their process - do they actually believe what they are saying is the truth or do they know it isn't but think it sounds good - i.e. are they doing it purely for PR, selling their narrative reason or because they genuinely believe the things they say.

The guardian article is interesting as up to now the guardian (despite being traditionally anti-monarchy) has been relatively supportive of H&M.
He should remember that some parents do not have the luxury of having time to take their kids on bike rides. Some dads are out working long days to pay the bills. Mums as well I should add.
He never had to worry about a roof over his head or food on the table. He obviously has plenty of time.
He also went on about taking Archie walks etc in the UK they lived on huge estates with access to bike rides and private walks.
There are also times when our memory plays tricks on us , something really sticks out and in your mind you did it all the time or the opposite it was so insignificant that you fail to recall it.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I wouldn't say the Guardian are pro or anti anything to do with the monarchy but because they dont have a skin in the race they are often jaded and questioning and reflective on them. Not a bad thing.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:07 AM
Courtier

I feel that part in thhis article on William is telling. Perhaps Harry should have followed the same plan with Meghan, once he realised she was the one and the mother of his children (emphasis in the quote below mine):

Quote:
Those closest to the duke say his resistance to the idea of full-time royal duties stemmed not only from a desire to achieve something for himself but also from a fear of the impact on his family life. Miguel Head worked alongside the prince for ten years until 2018, as William, Kate and Harry’s communications secretary and later as William’s private secretary. “In his role everyone’s going to tell you you’re marvellous,” Head says. “The RAF and air ambulance jobs were about knowing what his abilities were, what he was good at in his own right. Without that he’d still be hankering for something that was his own.” After children came along he says William developed a “visceral determination to give them a life of consistency and privacy that were missing for large parts of his own childhood”.

Another close aide says the plan enabling the Cambridges to have a few years of “normal” married life, away from the full-time glare of the royal spotlight, paid dividends: “For years, the battles around privacy and paparazzi intrusion were all-consuming. He wanted to know, could we build them a credible plan allowing them a family life while slowly increasing the profile of official life? It took years to get there, but the success of that plan allowed him to be confident and content in his role. He’s not worried about his kids’ privacy any more and he has been able to be the kind of dad he wants to be.”

“Marriage maketh the man,” a friend says. “Catherine’s groundedness has been the critical anchor. And where his relationship with the media was once all fury and frustration, he now understands using the power of modern media, so the public feel they’re getting enough access.

Full article: Up close and personal with Prince William: an intimate portrait of the future king https://archive.ph/iaDYk