The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.

I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her. :whistling:

Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

y.

if there was "No money for her", can Harry explain how Meghan did NOT keep on working as an actress and in fact started to do royal duties as soon as she was married?

I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her. :whistling:
Possibly, Meghan has had a hard time getting Harry to realise taht they BOTH have to get some kind of work.. and that he as the long standing royal, is the big draw. I suspect that as people have siad, Harry just thought that he'd go on being funded by Charles, and that somehow more money would come in wihtout his even making a token effort to earn it.. He thinks that he is still charles' responsibility and that Princes dont have to work. Possibly, Meghan was hoping that Harry will now take on some responsibilty adn the interview gave rise to job offers.. so he's been pushed/told he has to take them on....

Last edited:

Meghan is pregnant and laying low. Outside of this interview we have rarely seen her. No doubt on purpose. I’m sure she has her own stuff in the works too to be announced with time.

I totally believe Meghan let Harry take the jobs which were given due to his status as a Prince which he uses gladly. She's smartly doing so to embiggen him and make him "realise" that William was jealous that Harry is better. She'll join him soon. The hate for Harry landing the jobs is less than it'd be for Meghan and he has credentials of being a Prince and Meghan white smart is not a genius as some make her out to be. Intelligent, smart yeah but also Tiggy-Like, California style. She's even no Amal Clooney.

Ah - it looks like the truth is slowly coming out
It is all about the money.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entert...o/news-story/223e80b1bdc8b4fab97c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million -

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entert...o/news-story/223e80b1bdc8b4fab97c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
surprised as my understanding was that teh Duchy accounts showed that between them they got about £5M a year as expenses for their working lifestyle...

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

Thank you Claire for sharing the Herald Sun article. :flowers:

It's interesting to hear from Daniela Elser's (the author) point of view that the Royal Finances may have some sort of impact on their decision to leave as senior working royals.

Hmm. Surely Harry woudl have a rough idea that his finances were alwasy going to be dependent on his positon in the RF, which is not as high up as Williams. I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..

I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..

Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.

I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).

Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.
Possibly now.. but not back when they were working royals. Im sure that William would be conscious of his brothers needs and there woudl be a fair allowance from teh Duchy for his work expenses.. and probably a private allowance. But he wouldn't be as rich as William...

I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).

where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....

[...]

I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.

Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.

[...]

I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.

Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.
True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).

where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....

I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).

However, that would mean that Charles would have to cut back somewhere else, either his and Camilla's expenses or the Duchy's donations to charity. Moreover, the question of how much Harry and Meghan were to receive when Charles ascends probably came up. Then the issue would have been whether Harry would receive more than Charles's siblings (who I don't think would be cut off after the Queen passes away). I suspect that Anne and Andrew do not live on $500,000 per year, but have used their own money to pay some of their expenses. Perhaps during those discussions someone suggested that Meghan could continue working.

My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.

It would t surprise me if the Sissexes were costing more. Private jets, holidays...although a lot seem to be freebies. Meghan's wardrobe from accounts was more expensive than Kate's.

well to be fair to Meghan, she was just starting out as a royal, and would have had to buy a new wardrobe.. And it seems that her friends paid for her baby shower jaunt...

True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).

Charles has money separate from the Duchy, I would think that Harry can expect to inherit at least half of that. Didn't the Queen Mother leave less money to Charles and William because they would have independent incomes?

I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).

My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.
I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...

Charles has money separate from the Duchy, I would think that Harry can expect to inherit at least half of that. Didn't the Queen Mother leave less money to Charles and William because they would have independent incomes?

I think that Harry was clealry anxious about money, and scared that he'd be living on less.

It would t surprise me if the Sissexes were costing more. Private jets, holidays...although a lot seem to be freebies. Meghan's wardrobe from accounts was more expensive than Kate's.
But Meghan was starting to gain a wardrobe while Kate had some 7 years ahead of her to build her own. Now, the private jets and holidays... didn't Amal Clooney step up and say she had covered part of the travel cost for the baby shower? If she had, then we can infer that Meghan paid for the rest of it. They had friends paying their private jets for them but surely not all of their travels?

Given the way Meghan wanted her child to be equal to "other grandchildren" without paying any mind to the specifics of the institutions that kept all those children, her own included, in style, I do find it very probable that she demanded that she and Harry be treated the same as "other son's family" - which would be a problem for Charles. King isn't just a title and the differences between Harry and Meghan, and William and Catherine could never be narrowed to, "Well, the one couple is king and queen and the other has to bow and curtsey to them". There was always more and I can see the Sussexes not liking it.

As I said in my much older posts, Roger Zelazny said it best about princes and their struggles. Something along the lines of, "What is having so much, yet scrambling for something just a little more, a tiny edge over the others if not madness?" I, for one, would be very happy and completely comfortable with 500 000 bucks. But then, my wardrobe doesn't cost about this much yearly and I actually have to cover my own expenses fully.

I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...
I think he said it in connection to the initial period of their courtship. He thought it was very important to say how stingly his family was by not providing security for his long-distance girlfriend. He kept talking about this period. I think it was about the early stages of their relationship, not the marriage.

I thought I had read somewhere that the queen had offered them a low key start and introduction to royal life allowing Meghan to continue her acting if she wished.
Why is Harry moaning anyway he was the one chatting up the film executive for voice over work.

I think he said it in connection to the initial period of their courtship. He thought it was very important to say how stingly his family was by not providing security for his long-distance girlfriend. He kept talking about this period. I think it was about the early stages of their relationship, not the marriage.

I suppose that's possible... but when Meg came to England she was engaged to him so she'd have had his security around. I suppose it might be when she was visiting him in the UK and she wouldn't get security as she wasn't a royal or a fiancee. But then, honestly would someone have said "Oh she'll have to keep working as an actress because we're not going to pay for her security"? it wouldn't really make sense. She was working then....and she was staying iwht him during her visits to the UK so she'd be guarded by his people when with him. The only time she might have needed separate security as H's vistiing girlfriend, would be if she went out on her own in London or the like. Possibly H was told then "Sorry but if she's here visiting you, she wont get security adn if you want her to have a bodygard in London, you'll have to pay for it yourself". THAT Would make sense, but why say "she'll have to go on working as an actress"?

Last edited:
I think that Harry was clealry anxious about money, and scared that he'd be living on less.

I think if Harry was really cognizant of his financial situation, we wouldn't have seen them buying such an expensive home in such an exclusive area. My thinking is that, all his life, he's never had to worry about payments on things or budgeting to make ends meet and never had to really scrounge around in the couch for spare change to buy a 1/2 gallon of milk. Everything he's ever needed was right there for him and he's had his own security detail since he can remember and probably thought that living in the "real" world, those things would always be there for him.

I can see Charles saying to him "Harry, *I* don't even own a home worth that much money and have to pay for its upkeep. Your grandmother once made me go back outside to find a dog leash I'd lost because money doesn't grow on trees."

I think its going to be eye opening for Harry living in the "real" world with payments coming due, taxes to be paid, employees to be paid and sustaining a lifestyle that he took so much for granted all his life.

One thing too. With the moaning and groaning about Charles cutting him off and being "shocked" that he's not getting public funding for around the clock security anymore, it's a better reflection on the BRF, itself, for not allowing Harry to be a "scrounger" and a "sponge" off the taxpayer dime that we've heard so much. I think the majority of the people would think if he wanted out, that out means *out* and standing on his own two feet as a responsible adult.

I wish them luck that all goes well. I think they're going to need it. ?

I think if Harry was really cognizant of his financial situation, we wouldn't have seen them buying such an expensive home in such an exclusive area.
I can see Charles saying to him "Harry, *I* don't even own a home worth that much money and have to pay for its upkeep. Your grandmother once made me go back outside to find a dog leash I'd lost because money doesn't grow on trees."

I think its going to be eye opening for Harry living in the "real" world with payments coming due, taxes to be paid, employees to be paid and sustaining a lifestyle that he took so much for granted all his life.

I wish them luck that all goes well. I think they're going to need it. ?
If he was asking about money during the time he and Meg were working royals, then he must have had some anxieties. Possibly she raised the issue with him and he raised it with Charles.. who probably said that while he'd always have enough to live on, he wouldn't have the same as William and he might have to depend on Will as King to help him out.
Bbut then against that, it seems like when Harry LEFT royal life, he seems to have thought that Charles would still have a boundless stream of money which he would let him have. So why worry a couple of years ago, and then walk out on royal life, STILL thinking that money does grown on trees and that his father had the ability and obligation to pour money into Harry's coffers? I suppose he just thinks that Charles has alwasy paid for him and that's what he's alwasy going to do..

Last edited:
I thought I had read somewhere that the queen had offered them a low key start and introduction to royal life allowing Meghan to continue her acting if she wished.
Why is Harry moaning anyway he was the one chatting up the film executive for voice over work.

I just find it hard to believe that Meghan could have continued working as an actress if she had been offered a "slow start" as a working royal. It would lead to too much controversy.. if she did a political acting role, or a lot of sex scenes.. or just if she got jobs and it was said that she only got them because she was a royal.

[...]

Harry, though, was never expected to live and flourish in the "real" world at all. It pretty much was assumed that he'd follow the path that was set out for him since birth. He was born to live, eat, sleep and serve the people as a senior working royal for the "Firm". Harry getting married and then sailing off into the sunset for the sunny California climate was just about as unpredictable as the abdication of Edward VIII. Harry didn't need to learn to budget. Harry didn't need to learn how to earn money or prepare for any other kind of a career except perhaps for a military one.

This is something no one really saw coming from Harry until they were on the cusp of saying "sayonara, adios, gute nacht and catch ya on the flip side". I don't think even Harry and Meghan really thought out all the ins and outs of what *might* happen financially. It was kind of like dropping the bomb on Tokyo. No one realized what the damage from radiation would be until after the bomb was detonated. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom