The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the reality of joining a high profile family such as the RF. i hear this over and over, as if camilla and kate didn't get abuse when they joined the royal family!

Without participating in these Oppression Olympics, I think you have to be fairly oblivious not to notice the difference in the abuse Meghan received versus the abuse Camilla and Kate received. Not only were the tabloids absolutely ruthless on Meghan from day 1, finding faults in her literal every move (it just takes a quick Google search to find numerous examples of how she was excoriated for things Kate was praised for doing), there was also the added element of racism which makes Meghan's experience and Camilla and Kate's experiences incomparable.

[...]
Also, per the cookbook, or at least according to its amazon.com page "All profits from the sales of this book will help the Hubb Community Kitchen to strengthen lives and communities through cooking."
To me, that'senough to decide that the profits are going to a particular entity, namely the kitchen. I have no idea why they needed to label it in two ways that contradict each other.I see this as a (likely unintentional) lack of clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s please move on from the circular discussion about the donation.

I think at this point it is vitally important for Harry and Meghan to step down from attacks or subtle slaps or negative insinuations about the BRF. The couple have secured their lucrative deals and livelihood solely based on Harry's family association. To deride the BRF would essentially be denigrating the very component that makes Harry unique and desirable to Netflix, Spotify, BetterUp and the Aspen Institute.

I like that Harry is a Commissioner with the AI. I can picture him coaching Archie in good fun: "Co-mi-shun-er. Daddy is a commissioner."

Or, HM's legendary dry wit when calling the Sussex household; "May I speak to the Commissioner?'

I hope she does. Thomas Markle would be an embarrassment to anyone, but Meghan saying she "lost her father" was way over the line. As much time as Harry spends talking about the trauma of losing his mother at a young age, you'd think she'd be more sensitive to the difference between a parent dying, and cutting off a parent because you get tired of their antics. The fact that she's putting Harry at risk of "losing" his family the same way doesn't seem to bother her, either.

Anyway, Thomas will probably say a lot of things that are half-true and a lot more that aren't true at all, and it will probably get a lot of viewers because he has famous relatives. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I hope she does. Thomas Markle would be an embarrassment to anyone, but Meghan saying she "lost her father" was way over the line. As much time as Harry spends talking about the trauma of losing his mother at a young age, you'd think she'd be more sensitive to the difference between a parent dying, and cutting off a parent because you get tired of their antics. The fact that she's putting Harry at risk of "losing" his family the same way doesn't seem to bother her, either.

Anyway, Thomas will probably say a lot of things that are half-true and a lot more that aren't true at all, and it will probably get a lot of viewers because he has famous relatives. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
How right you are ! Maybe I am wrong but I think that Thomas Markle has not made so many mistakes....to be considered dead to his own daughter !

Without participating in these Oppression Olympics, I think you have to be fairly oblivious not to notice the difference in the abuse Meghan received versus the abuse Camilla and Kate received. Not only were the tabloids absolutely ruthless on Meghan from day 1, finding faults in her literal every move (it just takes a quick Google search to find numerous examples of how she was excoriated for things Kate was praised for doing), there was also the added element of racism which makes Meghan's experience and Camilla and Kate's experiences incomparable.

Did Meghan experienced many camera flashes from paparazzis while at the same time, hurled with profanities in order to capture her reactions like Kate did?

Did Meghan had paparazzis intentionally took her panty shot when she was getting out of a car like Kate did?

Did Meghan got her phone hacked more than 100 times like Kate did?

Because those things that I've mentioned are far worse than some random people on the internet writing mean things about you.

Speaking of mean things, I'm sure Camilla also got it worse than Meghan.

How right you are ! Maybe I am wrong but I think that Thomas Markle has not made so many mistakes....to be considered dead to his own daughter !

I agree, what H&M are doing to the BRF is certainly far worse than the things Thomas did to Meghan.

Randy Drx, I also remember equally horrid things cast towards other royals. I think the media, if wanting to cause commotion, reaction and sales, will look for a personal angle. Not often barking up the same tree but similarly hurtful, never-the-less..

The tried and tested way of saying nothing seemed to work the best and so I consider anyone who advised Meghan to ride it out would only have had her best interests (and a whole lot of experience) at heart. Her depression and mental anxiety and her American cultural differences added an extra, unexpected, hurdle.

I like the lemon cake recipe.
Olive oil makes Chocolate Brownies deliciously moist so I will give it a try here.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...s/news-story/2e86c937ecb37ce821d87431f6c96e12

Royals overshadowed as creepy pattern emerges in Meghan and Harry news
Harry and Meghan completely overshadowed a royal family event this week and it’s not one-off. If you look closely, there is a pattern.

Poor Princess Eugenie.

Sure, she’s got an adoring, perpetually ruddy-faced husband who looks like he’s head-over-heels in love with her (and just happens to be a tequila ambassador – handy) and an adorable new baby, having introduced son August to the world last month.

But jeepers, the 31-year-old just can’t quite catch a break.

This week she celebrated her birthday, a fact Buckingham Palace marked by sharing social media posts that went so far as to include not one but two emojis, the Windsor-equivalent to shouting with glee from the rooftops. However, whatever brief moment basking in the public sun Eugenie might have had, was dashed given the very same day (March 23) TheWall Street Journal revealed her cousin Prince Harry had gone out and done the previously unthinkable: He’d gotten a job.
We could notch this all up to an unfortunate coincidence if not for the fact this is not the first time that a Sussex announcement has inadvertently stolen some of the poor old Eugenie’s thunder.

It has been reported that Harry and his wife Meghan the Duchess of Sussex told his family that she was expecting their first child at Eugenie’s 2018 wedding. The move, “did not go down particularly well with Eugenie, who a source said told friends she felt the couple should have waited to share the news,” according to last year’s biography of the Sussexes, Finding Freedom. Quite.

Hmmm seems there may be a pattern to H&Ms announcements and its being noticed

I'm sure a lot of in is not just co-incidence, some maybe but I think some of it is deliberately timed. Then there's the obvious doing their own version like the cemetery photoshoot for the papers the same time as the Cenotaph.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
okay - so the news is something that we have suspected for a while. I must admit that while they can plan news for days and events that are easily predicable like birthdays, anniversaries or official occasions. Do they have events in pocket to pull out the bag when unexpected things come up?

Its a weird type of PR - if there is any truth in it. They should concentrate on what they were doing instead of lessening what others are doing.

As much as Harry and Meghan annoy me, I really don't see why it's a big deal that Harry announced he'd "got a job" on Eugenie's birthday. It's not like it was a landmark birthday, or as if she was doing some big charity event to mark it. Once you're past 21, birthdays aren't that much of a big deal to most people - if it'd been her 30th, OK, round number birthdays are special, but it was her 31st. They seem to be making a story out of not very much. As it says, Eugenie's got a loving husband and a lovely new baby: I doubt she lost any sleep over Harry making his job announcement o her birthday!

I mean others did things on her birthday too. In fact they all do things on the same day. There is an 8 hour time difference between LA and London. No even sure why people care that Harry got a job. Isn't that what people wanted -- them off tax funds and making there own living? What is the issue?

This weird attempt to make Eugenie vs Sussexes just seems a tad... desperate? So odd. They are literally staying in their home and out of all of the cousins it seems she is the closest to them. That is just from observing. Nothing with the tabs.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

I’m surprised that the news.com.au did not pick up (not saying they should) that Harry & Meghan’s interview with Oprah almost overshadowed The Earl of Wessex’s birthday, two days after. But then again, I supposed Harry’s relationship with his paternal uncle is not as close as with his cousin Eugenie. Nevertheless, if Harry is really compassionate, he would not talk negatively about his family in public. Not just because of his uncle’s birthday or Commonwealth Service broadcast but also the Wessex children who are old enough to the understand the situation and their peers are probably going to make comments about them.

Last edited:
This thread has been reviewed and cleaned up.

Members are asked to treat each others' points of view in a respectful way or not to respond or refer to other members' or their posts at all.

Although a number of news themes may well have been controversial in recent weeks, responses to them need not be. We have seen many robust debates and discussions since the thread was opened - most of them conducted in a constructive and considered way, so let us continue in that way.

I don't see how arranged or political "equal" marriages could happen in this era at least in the UK, just to keep the royal blood intact, that would end the monarchy pretty fast as well.

I don't think dynastic marriages are impossible in this era, see recently e.g. Alois of Liechtenstein and Sophie of Bavaria. In fact they are still pretty common precisely among non-reigning royal families, who ironically seem to attach a greater importance to "keeping the royal blood intact" than the ruling families, perhaps to boost their pwn legitimacy.

I don't think either that dynastic marriages necessarily have to be "arranged", but I acknowledge that, nowadays, the involved families have at least to be engaged in some degree of "match-making" for them to happen.

There was a lot of casual speculation for example that Prince William could be matched with Princess Madeleine of Sweden as they are of the same age and both come from Protestant royal houses, but, when Madeleine was once asked about that possibility, she replied, much to my surprise, that she didn't recall having been even introduced to either William or Harry. If William and Harry never mingled socially with other Continental royal houses, how could we have realistically expected them to date a European princess?

I think if/when the Monarchy is abolished there will be a tremendous series of rows over who actually owns what. And that's if it's by democratic referendum.
Maybe it is not so complicated. The Queen's private property, like Sandrigham, Balmoral, or most of her jewelry, would remain private. The Crown Estate and the Royal Collection, as well as the currently occupied Royal Palaces, would be most likely nationalized, i.e. would become state property. The biggest contention in my opinion would be about the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall, whose status post-abolition of the monarchy would be unclear.

Last edited:
I think it's a very slippery slope to blame the entire Sussex Squad (a very large and diverse group of people who support the Sussexes) for, on an overall scale, a few rotten apples. There are just as many Cambridge fans who act no different, pose the exact same threats and engage in the same behaviour. They aren't highlighted as frequently by the royal rota as the rota largely enjoys these people's support. Their animosity is instead directed at the Sussexes, their fans and the journalists who aren't excessively critical of them. But I don't see anyone asking the Cambridges to denounce their rotten apples – and why should they? The rotten apples are loud but not representative for the overall group of supporters.

Sadly, some people's complete lack of filter (and empathy) on the internet seems to be a prevalent issue extending way beyond the BRF.

I think it's completely preposterous to insinuate that Piers Morgan getting let off from GMB should be an attack on free speech. Morgan exercised his "free speech" (for an extremely long time, might I just add) on ITV's platform. When ITV deemed that they couldn't vouch for his idea of "free speech" anymore, they took him off their programme. That's not them silencing Morgan. That's them saying that he needs to exercise his free speech elsewhere because it's not representative of their views.

Ranvir Singh, GMB presenter also voiced her opinions and weigh into the Oprah's interview. She was criticising the British Royal Family not just as an institution, but also as a family. I'm sure many posters here would abhorred Ranvir Singh's views, but would not try to get her sacked from ITV. Both Piers Morgan, Alex Beresford and Ranvir Singh have the right to voice their opinions, because it's freedom of speech whether you like it or not.

Ms Singh said: "[The Queen's popularity] does not actually filter down now to anybody else in the family.

"That for the future of the monarchy is an extremely huge problem is it not?

"I think this [Oprah] interview has certainly lifted the lid on the fact we are paying millions of pounds to essentially a facade.

"If we are to believe what they said in the interview then it is a facade.

"We pay for what it all looks like and actually on the inside, they are all rattling around deeply dysfunctional and deeply unhappy.

"Do we really want that to represent our country anymore?

"Is it relevant to the future generation of this country, the multicultural future, young people have their own voice these days."

Ranvir Singh was not alone in questioning the monarchy's relevance during Wednesday's Good Morning Britain.

'We're paying millions for a facade!' Ranvir Singh unleashes brutal assessment of monarchy
THE ROYAL FAMILY's relevance was brutally questioned by Ranvir Singh as she labelled the monarchy a "facade" costing the UK taxpayer "millions of pounds".
https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-Ranvir-Singh-latest-video-monarchy-update-vn

I understand there were concerns or even outrage by some posters on public figures getting cancelled for criticising Meghan. It's not just Piers Morgan, but also Ian Murray, the executive of Society of Editors, who resigned after defending the UK press in general

Thou shalt not criticise St Meghan
As Piers Morgan has discovered, if you diss the patron saint of wokeness you’re in trouble.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/03/09/thou-shalt-not-criticise-st-meghan/

Last edited:
Piers wasn't fired. He walked away. No one was stopping him from voicing his opinion on his show, his twitter or his column in a major paper. His freedom of speech is well heard. Literally everyday.

Ranvir Singh, GMB presenter also voiced her opinions and weigh into the Oprah's interview. She was criticising the British Royal Family not just as an institution, but also as a family. I'm sure many posters here would abhorred Ranvir Singh's views, but would not try to get her sacked from ITV. Both Piers Morgan, Alex Beresford and Ranvir Singh have the right to voice their opinions, because it's freedom of speech whether you like it or not.

All of them absolutely have the right to exercise their freedom of speech. But when they're doing it on an ITV programme – and might I just add that Piers Morgan has been allowed to exercise his idea of freedom of speech on GMB for a very long time – it's reflecting back upon the network. It's not an attack on free speech for ITV to not want to be associated with and/or held accountable for their views. It's not a human right to be able to exercise your freedom of speech on an ITV programme – or any other network or newspaper you're employed by for that matter :lol:

Piers wasn't fired. He walked away. No one was stopping him from voicing his opinion on his show, his twitter or his column in a major paper. His freedom of speech is well heard. Literally everyday.

All of them absolutely have the right to exercise their freedom of speech. But when they're doing it on an ITV programme – and might I just add that Piers Morgan has been allowed to exercise his idea of freedom of speech on GMB for a very long time – it's reflecting back upon the network. It's not an attack on free speech for ITV to not want to be associated with and/or held accountable for their views. It's not a human right to be able to exercise your freedom of speech on an ITV programme – or any other network or newspaper you're employed by for that matter :lol:

Meghan herself made a complaint to OfCom which in some way or another influence ITV's decision not convincing Piers Morgan to come back. The ratings for GMB drops after Piers Morgan left, I guess he is having the last laugh. :whistling:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...m-as-piers-morgan-leaves-good-morning-britain
https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/18/gmbs...ans-exit-suggests-we-love-the-drama-14267093/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14451563/good-morning-britain-drops-viewers-piers-morgan-quit/

The viewers like drama and controversy that Piers generated, regardless of his opinions. I recently was turned off by him, not just his views but also his aggressive interview style. Initially, I was quite torn and divided on this situation when the outrage happened until Ian Murray's resignation. (Check out Mahyar Tousi, a British political Youtuber/commentator who articulated the similar opinions better than I do :lol:)

Last edited:
Meghan herself made a complaint to OfCom which in some way or another influence ITV's decision not convincing Piers Morgan to come back. The ratings for GMB drops after Piers Morgan left, I guess he is having the last laugh. :whistling:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...m-as-piers-morgan-leaves-good-morning-britain
https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/18/gmbs...ans-exit-suggests-we-love-the-drama-14267093/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14451563/good-morning-britain-drops-viewers-piers-morgan-quit/

The viewers like drama and controversy that Piers generated, regardless of his opinions. I recently was turned off by him, not just his views but also his aggressive interview style. Initially, I was quite torn and divided on this situation when the outrage happened until Ian Murray's resignation. (Check out Mahyar Tousi, a British political Youtuber/commentator who articulated the similar opinions better than I do :lol:)

I don't see what difference any of this makes? Baseline is that at no point have either Morgan or Murray's freedom of speech been violated. Morgan is perfectly free to express himself as he wishes (and evidently he still does), he's just been asked not to do so through the platform his GMB job gave him.

Murray wasn't silenced either. He was head of an industry body. After his dismissal of the Sussex claims about the British press, a vast amount of members of the organisations Murray was representing made it clear that his comments aren't representative of their views. So again, Murray is free to express himself, he's just been encouraged not to do so while signing his comments off as chief executive of the SoE.

I don't know anything about British tv regulation, so I mean this as a sincere question. Was the complaint Meghan filed addressed directly to the tv station, along the lines of "I think you should fire Morgan because he's awful"? Or was it addressed to a regulatory authority, saying "You should punish this station because what Morgan said violated a rule"? If the latter, could the station have actually been punished for what Morgan said? If that's the case, then I think there are free speech concerns here. Though Meghan didn't make the rules, so it's not really her doing.

Rod Liddle (Social Democratic Party, formerly from Labour Party, now an associate editor of The Spectator) has written a scathing opinion column on the Sunday Times about Harry's statement on BetterUp. Liddle also did criticise other Royal Family members for getting into admitted Oxbridge without exceptional grades.

Why thank you, Harry, for confirming that birth beats brains in America too
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...t-birth-beats-brains-in-america-too-xbwc6mhn8

Archive link to the full article: https://archive.vn/olzFs#selection-911.0-963.254

Perhaps part of the issue is that statement Harry issued trying to protect Meghan while they were dating. While admirable and understandable, it's not only not the style of the Firm, but William didn't put one out for Catherine even with a much longer period of harassment and intrusion.
Actually it is said he sent such a letter to the press.

‘Prince William is very unhappy at the paparazzi harassment of his girlfriend,’ read the statement on behalf of William. ‘He wants, more than anything, for it to stop. Miss Middleton should, like any other private individual, be able to go about her everyday business without this kind of intrusion.’
The statement concluded: ‘The situation is proving unbearable for all those concerned.’
Taken from this article https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/celebrity-news/prince-william-protecting-kate-middleton-709707

So now, just because Meghan was unsufferably unkind in her own judgment, we should be so, too? I don't see that. What I think is that private things should stay behind private doors, that staff who feels their treatment is not thanked enough should go to work elsewhere but not sell their story to the gossip rags, that the media should report and not make up new stories from some breadcrumbs of information they are told by "sources" but be open about where their stories come from. I want a healthy and truthful environment for me as the reader and for the Royals as human beings in an ackward position.
And I feel that the healthy and truthful environment should start with those who are protected by the NDAs. The staff, who, by the way, didn't feel their treatment wasn't thanked enough but felt actually bullied by Meghan, didn't sell their story to the gossip rags but Meghan joyfully gossiped about these NDa-bound people with her friends, as confirmed by both Scobie and Janina.
No one should expect the staff to just move and take it nobly while Meghan keeps talking about them. And as far as I can see, they haven't actually talked. Meghan can't keep silent and then turns around and cries that she's a victim.
Meghan is responsible for providing a healthy and truthful environment as well. And you know, from what I've seen, when the atmosphere in a working team keeps souring, it's usually due to the boss.
The staff actually did what you suggested they should. The story just kept repeating with other staff.
What do you suggest Meghan should be doing? In this post, you only postulated what others should be doing but they are actually doing it. It wasn't their fault that the BP closed ranks around HRH when they complained formally.

So now, just because Meghan was unsufferably unkind in her own judgment, we should be so, too? I don't see that. What I think is that private things should stay behind private doors, that staff who feels their treatment is not thanked enough should go to work elsewhere but not sell their story to the gossip rags, that the media should report and not make up new stories from some breadcrumbs of information they are told by "sources" but be open about where their stories come from. I want a healthy and truthful environment for me as the reader and for the Royals as human beings in an ackward position.

You think that BP has commissioned a formal third party investigation because one or two people were upset that Meghan didn’t thank them enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom