Article about Meghan (and Diana) from The Atlantic, a well respected magazine

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ent=edit-promo

Old 03-18-2021, 11:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

I saw this article a few hour ago and I found it rather thought-provoking. Combined with the recent results for popularity in the US, it rather suprised me. I was left with the general impression that Harry and Meghan were far more liked in the US than these results show and this article reflects. I mean, the interview was so clearly aimed at their American audience.

As to Harry and Meghan's living arrangements - let's not forget that: 1) They weren't the heir couple, although even William and Catherine didn't get their KP apartment immediately; 2) Their marriage came after a series of failed marriages within the RF, which *might* have made the Queen more reluctant to straight out *hand* estates as wedding gifts; and 3) Harry and Meghan married shortly after their meeting and engagement which, in the terms of choosing and renovating a home base for them, might have proven problematic. Edward and Sophie did have a home immediately after their wedding, I believe, but they had lived together for years and I have no problem believing that something had been prepared for them without any rush because there was simply no reason. Theirs wasn't a whirlwind romance, it developed over time. With Harry and Meghan, the time might simply have not been enough.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:07 PM
Majesty

Harry and Meghan married about two years after they first met, which is about average for many couples. Harry had more or less made his mind up it was serious after several weeks and probably told his family. The RF knew the couple were unofficially engaged for weeks before the official announcement. And the last divorce among the working senior royals was quite some time ago, long before the Sussexes married.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I could only read a short ways into it and had to close it out. I don't believe it was a fair article to either women. But that's just me. Usually I like things I've seen in The Atlantic.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry and Meghan married about two years after they first met, which is about average for many couples. Harry had more or less made his mind up it was serious after several weeks and probably told his family. The RF knew the couple were unofficially engaged for weeks before the official announcement. And the last divorce among the working senior royals was quite some time ago, long before the Sussexes married.
Meghan didn't even come to live in the UK until there were months before the wedding but whatever. I have another theory but you're going to dislike it even more than this one

Since there were a few stories that appeared in the tabloids and then were treated as true in Finding Freedom (although Scobie did his best to present Harry and Meghan stellarly in them), perhaps there was some truth in the rumours that they weren't pleased with a KP apartment (and given what I've seen of them, I have no doubt they expressed their feelings in a way that wouldn't sit well with me) and they demanded to live in the Windsor castle with the Queen.

I can see why they'd end up in Frogmore (which I, personally, find charming, excluding the closeness to a road. I suppose even this disadvantage could have been improved with proper security, though).
Old 03-18-2021, 11:25 PM
Majesty

I read that the Sussexes ASKED the Queen if it would be possible for them to have a flat adapted for them in the Castle. Not even the tabloids stated that either demanded it.

‘Trapped or not?’ A Constitutional expert weighs in on the difficulties of being a working royal.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...royals-trapped
Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't the Cambridges lived in a 4 bedroomed cottage in Anglesey during their first two years of marriage (including a few months after George was born)? I mean, considering that William worked at RAF Valley on the island as a helicopter rescue pilot, the majority of their time, they supposely spent it/lived in that cottage, right?
Old 03-18-2021, 11:41 PM
Majesty

It was announced in March 2013 that William would be leaving the RAF. He left in September 2013, while the apartment at KP was being readied for the family. They moved there in the October. I seem to remember Kate and George being with her parents in Bucks for a while after George’s birth, so I don’t think the Cambridges spent much time at Nott Cott at all.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It was announced in March 2013 that William would be leaving the RAF. He left in September 2016, while the apartment at KP was being readied for the family. I seem to remember Kate and George being with her parents in Bucks for a while after George’s birth, so I don’t think the Cambridges spent much time at Nott Cott at all.
Nott Cott is the one in KP ground, right? Not the one in Anglesey, Wales. I remembered during the 5 Big Questions campaign Catherine mentioned about being alone with George while William was on RAF night shift. I assumed she meant when they're in Anglesey.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Nott Cott is the one in KP ground, right? Not the one in Anglesey, Wales. I remembered during the 5 Big Questions campaign Catherine mentioned about being alone with George while William was on RAF night shift. I assumed she meant when they're in Anglesey.
Yes, Nottingham Cottage is at Kensington Palace ground
Old 03-19-2021, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
I saw this article a few hour ago and I found it rather thought-provoking. Combined with the recent results for popularity in the US, it rather suprised me. I was left with the general impression that Harry and Meghan were far more liked in the US than these results show and this article reflects. I mean, the interview was so clearly aimed at their American audience.

As to Harry and Meghan's living arrangements - let's not forget that: 1) They weren't the heir couple, although even William and Catherine didn't get their KP apartment immediately; 2) Their marriage came after a series of failed marriages within the RF, which *might* have made the Queen more reluctant to straight out *hand* estates as wedding gifts; and 3) Harry and Meghan married shortly after their meeting and engagement which, in the terms of choosing and renovating a home base for them, might have proven problematic. Edward and Sophie did have a home immediately after their wedding, I believe, but they had lived together for years and I have no problem believing that something had been prepared for them without any rush because there was simply no reason. Theirs wasn't a whirlwind romance, it developed over time. With Harry and Meghan, the time might simply have not been enough.

Moran-I believe that you've made some excellent points here in pointing out the Queen's "reluctance" when it came to granting residences (as well as the Family Order) to the newlyweds in the BRF post-Diana/Sarah years. She appears to be moving cautiously in these departments so Nottingham Cottage has definitely seen its share of bachelors and newlyweds enjoying it as a starter home.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

So right and impressive !
Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
The tabloids have been vicious towards all of them at one time or another. Harry got years of mainly unquestioning, glowing press and Meghan’s coverage was initially almost ecstatic.

I do think as time went on Harry would have been treated unfairly in the press relative to William even if his behaviour had been exemplary. (snip interesting details - thank you for them!)

I wonder why this is that "the press" is taken as a natural force against the Royals of all countries. There are some which are more journalistically correct in their writing, albeit from a different point of view, like the Guardian or the Independant, but the other papers, tabloids or broadsheets are reacting like gutter press and I don't understand why people want to read these wars against the Royal family, if there is always only a bit of truth in the story and most is made-up to fill a narrative.

It makes me wonder, just saying.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing that is a positive about the mansion in California is that should Harry and Meghan find they need time away from the children, they can just take a short trip to the other side of the house and order delivery from the kitchen, drink California wine and have a second honeymoon without being interrupted and return to the kids relaxed and refreshed.

I'd hate a house where it'd take 15 minutes to just find my way to the bedroom and 20 minutes to get to the kitchen. I'd definitely need me one of those Dukemobiles! (see Philip thread).

But these are quite fashionable in the US. I remember when I was a young girl I read that the producer Tory Spelling build a new house and the papers said (yes, I know!) that she needed for each member of the family 2000 sqms! And here we are considered well-off if we have a house for the family with 100 sqms each!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But these are quite fashionable in the US. I remember when I was a young girl I read that the producer Tory Spelling build a new house and the papers said (yes, I know!) that she needed for each member of the family 2000 sqms! And here we are considered well-off if we have a house for the family with 100 sqms each!
Tori Spelling is hardly the "average" Hollywood producer - her dad was Aaron Spelling and she grew up here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manor_(Los_Angeles).

Granted, I will give you that house sizes in the US are quite a bit larger than most Europeans are used to. Even I, a single person with 2 cats, lives in a decent-sized, 2-bedroom apartment (one of which is a dedicated sewing/craft room).
Old 03-19-2021, 02:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post

I can see why they'd end up in Frogmore (which I, personally, find charming, excluding the closeness to a road. I suppose even this disadvantage could have been improved with proper security, though).

One should not forget that Frogmore Cottage, while being visible from a public road, is set back quite a bit. It is in a police protected private area and behind the house there is the entrance of one of the most beautiful parks in the vicinity, where even the queen comes over from the castle to take a walk. Ok, the graveyard is there as well! But many people live next to the graveyard wall in towns and villages alike. Master Archie in later years could have invited school friends to come and dig up "great-aunty Wallis" there for fun and normally no one would notice when it's not the time for the gardeners to prepare the grounds for a new season. I can absolutely see Eugenie to borrow the property when she came home with her baby boy as it is very convenient to her parents home of Royal Lodge.

I don't understand Harry when it comes to this and especially not Meghan. You must have known that when you marry a prince and get to live in a palace that these apartments are normally badly isolated and cold and clamy because they were build at a time when neither central heating, bathrooms nor electricity existed. So all modern amenities had to be build in later-on and I don't think the Royals of former times were as spoiled as American actresses. I recall when "Sisi" of Bavaria married emperor Franz Joseph I. of Austria-Hungary, he had redone her whole apartments after she was unhappy that there hadn't been renovations since Maria-Theresia and her mother-in-law thought that they are still fitting for a young empress! (Sisi was actually lucky, she could have ended up in the "emperor's apartment" from the renaissance...)
Old 03-19-2021, 02:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Thank you Eskimo for sharing the link to The Atlantic article

It was very insightful and provided a great context/background in both Diana's and Meghan's situation. Despite the long article, I enjoyed reading it. It's also very interesting to read from a more left-leaning and US perspective in criticising Harry & Meghan. On most occasion, it was usually the right-leaning media that are critical of Meghan.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:

There was/is a huge difference between what a non working grandchild is going to be offered by the Queen versus a full time working royal grandchild.

Well Harry and Meghan expected to not be working royals AND be allowed to keep getting money and free security AND have his children be HRH prince/princesses. He said that on the interview and whined when it didn't happen.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
One should not forget that Frogmore Cottage, while being visible from a public road, is set back quite a bit. It is in a police protected private area and behind the house there is the entrance of one of the most beautiful parks in the vicinity, where even the queen comes over from the castle to take a walk. Ok, the graveyard is there as well! But many people live next to the graveyard wall in towns and villages alike. Master Archie in later years could have invited school friends to come and dig up "great-aunty Wallis" there for fun and normally no one would notice when it's not the time for the gardeners to prepare the grounds for a new season. I can absolutely see Eugenie to borrow the property when she came home with her baby boy as it is very convenient to her parents home of Royal Lodge.

I don't understand Harry when it comes to this and especially not Meghan. You must have known that when you marry a prince and get to live in a palace that these apartments are normally badly isolated and cold and clamy because they were build at a time when neither central heating, bathrooms nor electricity existed. So all modern amenities had to be build in later-on and I don't think the Royals of former times were as spoiled as American actresses. I recall when "Sisi" of Bavaria married emperor Franz Joseph I. of Austria-Hungary, he had redone her whole apartments after she was unhappy that there hadn't been renovations since Maria-Theresia and her mother-in-law thought that they are still fitting for a young empress! (Sisi was actually lucky, she could have ended up in the "emperor's apartment" from the renaissance...)
Meghan however did not ‘get to live in a Palace’, she and Harry were given former staff accommodation, and I don’t believe that any Royal from any dynasty living in the 21st century would wish to live as the Habsburgs or Romanovs did in the 1850s and ‘60s. So Meghan being an American actress is irrelevant.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I wonder why this is that "the press" is taken as a natural force against the Royals of all countries. There are some which are more journalistically correct in their writing, albeit from a different point of view, like the Guardian or the Independant, but the other papers, tabloids or broadsheets are reacting like gutter press and I don't understand why people want to read these wars against the Royal family, if there is always only a bit of truth in the story and most is made-up to fill a narrative.

It makes me wonder, just saying.
It's not just the Royals. There's a general feeling that the press like to knock anyone who's successful/rich/glamorous. Top class sports players, pop stars, actors, etc, get nothing but grief. Andy Murray, the first British man to win Wimbledon for 77 years, was criticised for years for looking miserable, like he was supposed to have an inane grin on his face all through his matches. David Beckham was, rightly or wrongly, accused of having an affair with a woman called Rebecca Loos, who was even interviewed on TV as if she was a celeb, and his house was mocked and called "Beckingham Palace". Gary Barlow from Take That's spoken about the mental health problems he had after the press relentlessly made fun of his weight. I could go on and on, and without even starting on politicians. It's horrible, but it's not just aimed at the Royals.

The Rebecca Loos thing was horrendous. She got a one-on-one interview, not even as part of a regular talk show but a special one-off programme just for her, with Kay Burley, the reporter who later stood outside the hospital each time the Duchess of Cambridge was giving birth, all because she claimed she'd had an affair with a footballer, who had a wife and (at that time) three young children. How exactly was that a matter of public interest? The media can be awful, but it's not just with the Royals.

Closed Thread