The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Maybe Harry thought he would be handed a large estate when he married and not only a job and a flat in one of the Royal residences. After all Anne got Gatcombe to raise horses with her then husband, Andrew got Sunninghill, which he could sold for several millions and then could lease the Royal Lodge cheaply, while Edward got Bagshot Park and William Anmer Hall. While Harry was offered app. 1 in Kensington Palace which he exchanged to a cottage on the grounds of Windsor Park. Not that I say this wasn't enough but still it is something else than Gatcombe Park and it never was his to be completely. Maybe Harry "thought" that Charles could pay part of his mortgage on their US house as part of his "inheritance". And I guess Charles would have given him more if he had been king already. But explain that to Meghan.

Btw - there was a clip on the vid offers on my facebook about how Harry and Meghan did something "wrong" during their first appearance on the queen's garden party shortly after their wedding, so Charles ordered Harry to take her home?? Did you read someting about that?
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1145372679217127
There were rumours that The Queen gave Harry & Meghan York Cottage at Sandringham Estate as wedding gifts.
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrit...e-sandringham/
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-york-cottage/
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/02/insid...dding-7515038/

Marlene Koenig, however called foul on these reports, given that York Cottage has not being used as royal residence for 100 years and right on the tourist path. She also mentioned the alleged rumour (not confirmed by the Palace) that Harry signed a two-year lease on the Great Tew estate in Oxfordshire.
Royal Musings: York Cottage for the Sussexes ... I think not

There was another rumour (also nothing confirmed) Charles intended to build an estate at Herefordshire for Harry & his family to live in. This was part of Charles' plan and prediction in the 1980s though and the Express article itself was published on 2nd September 2019.

Quote:
Insiders close to the royal couple have hinted that the pair are planning to move to the US and will not continue with his family on an estate earmarked by his father. A source told Charlotte Griffiths in the Mail on Sunday: “In the 1980s, it was decided baby Harry would one day have a family and want to build an estate. Charles has discussed Herefordshire, thinking he’d love it.

“Perhaps back then they were expecting Harry would marry a Sloaney nursery teacher who would love nothing more than running an estate.

“Fast forward to 2019, and that dream seems deeply old-fashioned, not to mention unrealistic.”
Perhaps the most eerie part of this Express article is the mentioning of the rumour that Harry & Meghan were planning to move to LA or other cities in California. It also mentioned that Meghan was homesick and want to move back to where she grew up familiar with. And this article was in September 2019, way before the Southern Africa tour.

How Prince Harry will defy his father's wishes and snub earmarked future home for LA life
MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry are set to snub to Prince Charles’s plans for his second son to live on an estate in Herefordshire.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...ire-estate-pla

There was a rumour on Harewood Park in Herefordshire, a rural estate purchased by Duchy of Cornwall in 2000. The Duchy of Cornwall has denied that Harewood Park will be the home of any royal personages.
Ross-on-Wye Civic Society - Harewood Park - Regeneration

Old 03-18-2021, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Maybe Harry thought he would be handed a large estate when he married and not only a job and a flat in one of the Royal residences. After all Anne got Gatcombe to raise horses with her then husband, Andrew got Sunninghill, which he could sold for several millions and then could lease the Royal Lodge cheaply, while Edward got Bagshot Park and William Anmer Hall. While Harry was offered app. 1 in Kensington Palace which he exchanged to a cottage on the grounds of Windsor Park. Not that I say this wasn't enough but still it is something else than Gatcombe Park and it never was his to be completely. Maybe Harry "thought" that Charles could pay part of his mortgage on their US house as part of his "inheritance". And I guess Charles would have given him more if he had been king already. But explain that to Meghan.

Btw - there was a clip on the vid offers on my facebook about how Harry and Meghan did something "wrong" during their first appearance on the queen's garden party shortly after their wedding, so Charles ordered Harry to take her home?? Did you read someting about that?
The flat in a royal residence as you call it could probably house 6 families , it also included built in security.
Once again William is the heir , the queen has other grand children, none of whom as far as we know she housed other than royal residences.

I agree that if he had waited there woud have been more, what will happen to Highgrove for example.
The garden party story came from Lady Colin Campbell, it was a garden party for Charles celebrating his work and charities.
Lady C claimed that Meghan made a comment and she was told to go. I have no idea if that is true or not.
When you look at the video H and M appear to be quite happily mixing with guests, Charles says something to Harry and then the couple leave straight away.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Gatcombe and Sunninghill are privately owned. They could have bought Harry a house. He could have bought himself a house. They gave him a very nice chunk of property.

William is unusual to be given the use of two houses. But I think to be honest they were thinking about giving the children a normal life as possible. They are only in London during term time. They spend a third of the year in Norfolk.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 PM
Majesty

What ‘nice chunk of property’ did Harry get? Frogmore Cottage was longterm ex staff quarters, a building long neglected and falling to bits. It was also small as royal quarters go, only five bedrooms, and without the ton of extras the Fail ascribed to it.

Its location isn’t ideal either, near the royal cemetery and quite near a public road. It had staff parking adjacent to it before the couple moved in. A bit different to Royal Lodge, Gatcombe or Anmer!
Old 03-18-2021, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
What ‘nice chunk of property’ did Harry get? Frogmore Cottage was longterm ex staff quarters, a building long neglected and falling to bits. It was also small as royal quarters go, only five bedrooms, and without the ton of extras the Fail ascribed to it.

Its location isn’t ideal either, near the royal cemetery and quite near a public road. It had staff parking adjacent to it before the couple moved in. A bit different to Royal Lodge, Gatcombe or Anmer!
Sure living on the Windsor estate in a newly renovated house is a hardship no one would want. They could have bought their own home and we know the were offered apartment 1 too. Could have had that. Charles bought Highgrove. Anne bought Gatcombe. And who should have lost their home to give Harry one?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Sure living on the Windsor estate in a newly renovated house is a hardship no one would want. They could have bought their own home and we know the were offered apartment 1 too. Could have had that. Charles bought Highgrove. Anne bought Gatcombe. And who should have lost their home to give Harry one?
I completely agree with your point that no one should have been put out for Harry. That said, in the interest of fairness, Anne didn’t buy Gatcombe. It was a wedding gift from HM. That said, yes, they could have purchased a property for Harry or he could have purchased one himself. It does make you wonder if there weren’t already rumblings that he may not be around long or if, perhaps, nothing they purchased would have been good enough. At least by renovating Frogmore it could then be used by another member of the family after Harry and Meghan decided to up sticks.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:26 PM
Majesty

A renovated smallish house that wasn’t half of what Andrew, Anne, Edward, William got. The Sussexes already explained in 2019 that the renovations of the KP Apartment 1 would have cost more from the Sovereign Grant monies that the FC did. It also wasn’t apparently available for a long time as the Gloucesters were in occupancy.

Harry could have bought a property? So could William, who inherited the same amount of money from his mother! And Harry and Meghan liked Oxfordshire and rented there but the security was non-existent.

Probably Meghan wasn’t expected to become pregnant so quickly and the PTB thought that they could be at Nott Cott for a while longer. Also the plans for the renovations at Frogmore were lodged with the Windsor council in the same month and year as the Sussex wedding, so maybe the couple weren’t going to be given the KP flat at all.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Nobility

Was anything bought for HM's other grandchildren upon their weddings (other than William's, for obvious reasons) and if so, how did it compare to what was given Harry? You know, since the couple is so fond of bringing other royals and other grandchildren to compare with their own situation.
So, did she buy Zara, Peter, Eugenie, and Beatrice comparable residences? I know nothing about Peter and Zara and I think I remember Eugenie in a rather smallish house but I don't know if it was her permanent one and who provided it.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Was anything bought for HM's other grandchildren upon their weddings (other than William's, for obvious reasons) and if so, how did it compare to what was given Harry? You know, since the couple is so fond of bringing other royals and other grandchildren to compare with their own situation.
So, did she buy Zara, Peter, Eugenie, and Beatrice comparable residences? I know nothing about Peter and Zara and I think I remember Eugenie in a rather smallish house but I don't know if it was her permanent one and who provided it.
No. She didn’t provide homes for any of them. Anne provided homes for Zara and Peter on her estate, though they both provided their own homes before moving to Gatcombe. Andrew paid for an apartment at St. James for years for his girls. On marriage it appears that Beatrice moved in with Edo and Eugenie and Jack pay commercial rent for Ivy Cottage. So no, more was actually done for Harry and Meghan than for any of the others besides William. I suspect because he is the son of the PoW and was expected to remain permanently a working member of the RF.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
No. She didn’t provide homes for any of them. Anne provided homes for Zara and Peter on her estate, though they both provided their own homes before moving to Gatcombe. Andrew paid for an apartment at St. James for years for his girls. On marriage it appears that Beatrice moved in with Edo and Eugenie and Jack pay commercial rent for Ivy Cottage. So no, more was actually done for Harry and Meghan than for any of the others besides William. I suspect because he is the son of the PoW and was expected to remain permanently a working member of the RF.

I see. So, we're once again at the starting point that Harry is so much more important than the other grandchildren who were provided for by their parents or themselves (the working royals part matters, of course, but as the couple said, they weren't this sure they'd be working royals from the beginning, so this wasn't set in stone), that he should be placed at equal level with HM's children. I don't get it. What's the reason? He wasn't even the spare anymore, yet I've seen people think that he'd almost be the co-head of a joint monarchy while Edward and Sophie, let alone their children, are regarded as minor royals - and he is the Queen's son. Seems strange to me, even with the Diana angle added. Which, I have to say, don't oblige HM with anything, in my eyes. Did anyone think it strange that Charles was given so much more than Andrew at the time of their respective weddings, housing apart? I remember Sarah saying that she never had the kind of money Diana had for her wardrobe and I just took it in passing. Harry was well-off due to his mother's inheritance (the bulk of which came from Charles). Surely he could have afforded to buy the home he wanted?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
A renovated smallish house that wasn’t half of what Andrew, Anne, Edward, William got. The Sussexes already explained in 2019 that the renovations of the KP flat would have cost more from the Sovereign Grant monies that the FC did. It also wasn’t apparently available for a long time as the Gloucesters were in occupancy.

Harry could have bought a property? So could William, who inherited the same amount of money from his mother! And Harry and Meghan liked Oxfordshire and rented there but the security was non-existent.

Probably Meghan wasn’t expected to become pregnant so quickly and the PTB thought that they could be at Nott Cott for a while longer. Also the plans for the renovations at Frogmore were lodged with the Windsor council in the same month and year as the Sussex wedding, so maybe the couple weren’t going to be given the KP flat at all.
We will probably never know why choices were made the way they were but if I could just put in for discussion that from their own mouths the couple said in the interview that they had not blindsided the queenas they had told her 2 years before that they wanted a different life. Could that have influenced the family's decision on what home they were given.
Do we actually know that Harry and Meghan were upset at the home they were given.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Nothing was bought for William at all. The apartment at Kensington Palace is property of the Crown Estate. Anmer Hall is on the Queen's Sandringham estate and eventually will be inherited by William when he is King (It'll be Charles' in the interim). Only properties that the Queen actually bought as gifts for weddings of her children were Andrew's Sunninghill and Anne's Gatcombe Park. Edward leases a Crown Estate property, Bagshot Park. Andrew now has a lease on another Crown Estate property, Royal Lodge.

Highgrove actually was bought by the Duchy of Cornwall and will pass to William when he becomes the Duke of Cornwall.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:47 PM
Majesty

It is now 2021. Two years back takes it to 2019. We know from previous reports and from the Queen’s own statement at the time they left that talks had been going on about their unhappiness with the Press and aspects of their roles for months, certainly through the summer months of 2019.

The Sussexes moved into FC in the Spring of 2019, and as I posted before, the plans for the renovation of FC into a private home were with the Windsor Council in May 2018, so it looks as if FC was earmarked for them from the beginning, not Apartment 1A which continued to be occupied by the Gloucesters for months.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Entitlement, much? An "only five-bedroom" house on a royal estate for two people and an infant, renovated to your exact specifications with someone else's money, which at the time was officially spun and spun again by their fans as providing the low-key peace and privacy the Sussexes so fervently wished for.

Saying that that wasn't good enough, they were hard done by and everyone else got better, and Harry and Meghan deserve 16 bathrooms and double saunas for being self-expats certainly doesn't make me feel any sorrier for them.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It is now 2021. Two years back takes it to 2019. We know from previous reports and from the Queen’s own statement at the time they left that talks had been going on about their unhappiness with the Press and aspects of their roles for months, certainly through the summer months of 2019.

The Sussexes moved into FC in the Spring of 2019, and as I posted before, the plans for the renovation of FC into a private home were with the Windsor Council in May 2018, so it looks as if FC was earmarked for them from the beginning, not Apartment 1A which continued to be occupied by the Gloucesters for months.
For accuracy they had been asked if they had blindsided the queen and their answer was that they had been in discussions for 2 years before they left which is 2018. The Gloucesters needed to be rehoused first so there probably would have been a delay.
As I asked before is there any evidence that they were unhappy with the home they were given.
Are we discussing a pointless topic.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Wasn’t Anmer, a far bigger property, renovated to exact specifications with ‘someone else’s money?’ Actually the Sovereign Grant.

The Sussexes have paid back the SG money for the renovations to Frogmore, and some of their money was also spent on indoor decorations etc.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you Osipi, I had forgotten that Highgrove is owned by the Duchy. I still wonder if the intention was for Harry to live there as he always seemed closer to that area in spirit than William.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Anmer renovations weren't paid for by public funds, it was said at the time they would use private funds. Sovereign Grant funds are used only for the royal palaces as these are state owned properties.

HM has treated all her grandchildren the same except for William and there are obvious reasons for that.
If anything H&M were treated differently and more favourably.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Wasn’t Anmer, a far bigger property, renovated to exact specifications with ‘someone else’s money?’ Actually the Sovereign Grant.

The Sussexes have paid back the SG money for the renovations to Frogmore, and some of their money was also spent on indoor decorations etc.
The Queen paid for the renovations from her own private wealth because it's her own private property. IIRC, William and Catherine paid for the interior remodeling and renovations to their specification. The Sovereign Grant didn't come into play because it wasn't a Crown Estate property like Frogmore Cottage is.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
For accuracy they had been asked if they had blindsided the queen and their answer was that they had been in discussions for 2 years before they left which is 2018. The Gloucesters needed to be rehoused first so there probably would have been a delay.
As I asked before is there any evidence that they were unhappy with the home they were given.
Are we discussing a pointless topic.
As far as I’m aware, no, they haven’t expressed unhappiness with Frogmore. That said, I do believe they addressed the Apt. 1 issue in their manifesto and noted that they turned it down.

Closed Thread