The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a matter of fact, if Charles were King and, for some reason, Charles outlived William, George himself could not inherit the income from the Duchy of Cornwall as the Duke must necessarily be the eldest living son of the monarch who is also the heir apparent.

George, in this case, would be heir apparent to the Crown, but not the eldest living son of the King. Harry, conversely, would be Charles' eldest living son, but not the heir apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
but Harry would not be Duke of Cornwall, would he?

No, because as long as William's children live, Harry can never be the oldest living son and the heir. (He is behind William's kids). It's not a peerage in that sense.

The Duchy would revert to the Crown, and the Sovereign Grant would be reduced by the amount of the Duchy income.

In regards to the rumours of Catherine St-Laurent's resignation, here is a Telegraph article on this subject that is not a tabloid. Unfortunately, this article is behind a paywall.

Is all well within Archewell? Questions raised as Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s chief of staff steps down
High turnover continues among Harry and Meghan's employees as high-profile Catherine St-Laurent becomes latest to leave full-time role
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...xs-chief-staff-has-stepped-according-reports/

The Independent (not behind a paywall) has also picked up this news with more revelation on Harry & Meghan's staff.

Head of Harry and Meghan's Archewell Foundation Leaves Role After One Year
Catherine St-Laurent changes job to become senior adviser at Archewell
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...arry-meghan-catherine-stlaurent-b1820813.html

Last edited:
Meghan wanted to live in a palace, have enough money for dresses etc., didn't understand that she can't take the things offered to her for free - and I can understand that from an American POV. Harry knew that, but IMHO he is besotted with her and didn't want to loose her once she realised it is a different life than she expected. He may have hoped she could stick it out till the times got better, but in the end couldn't imagine his family cutting him off, so he followed her to California. I doubt that is the life he always wanted. And Meghan for sure sees Oprah and Gayle King and their life and wants that. Should have married that Bezos-guy instead!

I think Meghan was aware of the constraints of Royal life-- pecking order, hosiery, extent of staff control, etc. but thought that she was enough of a prominent figure to have things done her way.

I also think Harry's adjustment to life in the US outside of the royal support system is challenging for him. He has always had the use of the large royal estates to balance his school and work and duty. He can't have those weekends in Norfolk or Balmoral for the foreseeable future. He is also having to deal with things like the cost of top-of-the-line sport coats. He most probably never looked at a price tag before,

...It was rumoured that Charles had set up such arrangements for Camilla’s children when he married her but no proof has ever come out about it. Nor have any of Charles’s private funding of his sons ever really been in the public domain, though rumours abounded for years as to the amounts.

And on another tangent, where is the proof that Meghan is regretting her marriage or that a divorce is looming? No proof has ever existed away from Tumblr, SM gossip that the couple are unhappy in any way since they first met.

Talking about forthcoming divorce and whether Meghan would have liked another husband is surely just a teeny bit off in a couple who are expecting their second child in just over three years of marriage.

Women who are miserable in their relationship don’t decide to have a baby in the first year of their marriage. Nor do they go through the pain and heartbreak of miscarriage to try again shortly afterwards.

If there had been the tiniest hint of any discord in the Sussex marriage then the tabloids would have been onto it in a flick of an eye. There never has been anything of that nature at all, and in fact both Harry and Meghan have never shown anything but love, devotion and the utmost loyalty to each other.

Ms. St-Laurent resigned her position as executive director but has not left the organization. So it does seem like things at Archewell are moving right along but again, its the Fail. Hopefully we'll get some information on some of their upcoming projects soon.

This news comes originally from PageSix, in other words: it is coming straight from the couple PR.
An advisory role is sweet PR talk for: something is rotten in the state of denmark but we think if we spray it with some 'eau de perfume' we can make it smell good for awhile.
the fact they released news of other new hires or role changes tells me this is big and they wanted to try and bury the bad news with the sort of good news.

BTW this isn't the first time they used the "advisory role" for when a member of staff have left, it was used by their PR for when Samantha Cohen and Amy too, and for Heather (Harry's assistant) as well I think, stepped down and away.

This is actually pretty major! leaving a position as high up as Chief of Staff after less than a year... it is fishy, it would be one thing if it had been announced last year that the role was temporary, but that was never the case. such a high level manager leaving after not even a year.. 99% of the times it means that the higher ups (company owner or president) of the company to that manager are problematic. the other 1% is you truly don't get along or a better offer has come your way.
But in this case we need to factor: the couple high turnover rate of staff, the bullying allegations, the whispers that they refuse to take advice... now the Opera interview and the inconsistencies in it...

One other note: I look at all the upper management for the foundation, and for a couple who is interesting in fighting against racial discrimination, and who says they and their son have experienced racism.. they have alot of white and males in their foundation management. Not a surprise to be honest, but a major "sigh" moment of once again the couple saying one thing and their behavior contradicting their words.

Last edited:
This news comes originally from PageSix, and it is coming straight from the couple PR.
An advisory role is sweet PR talk for: something is rotten in the state of denmark but we think if we spray it with some 'eau de perfume' we can make it smell good for awhile.
the fact they released news of other new hires or role changes tells me this is big and they wanted to try and bury the bad news with the sort of good news.

BTW this isn't the first time they used the "advisory role" for when a member of staff have left, it was used by their PR for when Samantha Cohen and Amy too, and for Heather (Harry's assistant) as well I think, stepped down and away.

Well in fairness, Jason Knauf is head of the Royal Foundation and a special advisor to William and Kate.

This news comes originally from PageSix, and it is coming straight from the couple PR.

In a new organization, things get switched around quite often as they adapt and grow and find different areas to expand to. I'm not going to speculate on Ms. St-Laurent's role in the organization as anything but what it's reported to be at this time. What interests me is that there *is* news about Archewell and it's moving forward. That answers the question I asked earlier about what's going on with Archewell.

Sounds like the producer they've brought on is a guy that knows his stuff. I've not seen any of the things he's worked on but I've heard of them.

Neither George nor Harry would be Duke of Cornwall in that situation.

Equal primogeniture also complicates the Duchy's inheritance rules as the eldest living son of the King won't be the heir apparent in the future if he has an older sister who is the King's firstborn. In that case, there wouldn't be a Duke of Cornwall either as neither the firstborn daughter nor her brother could inherit the Duchy, I think.

After all these new lies, bad behaviour, acting, stupidity, immaturity again!,
I do ask myself how anybody can still think positive about them, believe anything they say, write or air somehow using friends....

Seriously, can someone explain how this works in the US, are their polls about this?
Thank you.

We all know this is a question of educational background very much,
it is surely a special group of people watching Oprah or trash tv, this is the same maybe in every country. But H&M try to gain money for their foundation, those people watching&believing the interview are surely not those who will or can donate much money to them. So what is the idea behind the interview, beside revenge, mental sickness...?
Do they want to create a base of potential viewers for the coming netflix stuff?

I am not much into the US society, maybe someone can ry to explain?
Though I do not consider those two being very bright, after all the negative effects their actions had in the past, one should think they hired some advisors since, but what on earth did those intend with the interview?

Thanks!

And I, too, do believe that bringing an archbishop in such a situation is even worse than anything they did before or can do in the future. They seem to feel really no limits at all.
Unfortunately too little people are still close to church that this would bring them up against the couple.
But surely anybody with a rest if brain will distance themselves from the couple, one never knows what is next. I hope noone gives them a single dime!

My aunt totally supports them. She's not the sort of person who watches trashy tv. She does think monarchy should be abolished everywhere and her whole basis for her support seems to be she doesn't blame them for leaving. Which to be to be fair I don't either if they had been tactful and graceful about it. But the whole exit has been a dumpster fire from day one.

I did try to point out the times they lied but she kept saying "I think they know more about the British Royal Family and how it works than you." I just gave up in frustration.

I did like Meghan in the beginning. I was very hopeful for the match and defended it. I thought perhaps they had gone a little fast for a royal match, which has pressure normal couples don't but I was still optimistic. And Harry seemed to be settling down well after some troubles in his early years. I was starting to question my earlier thoughts that he would go the way of his great-granduncle David. Guess it turns out my first impressions about Harry were correct and my first impressions about Meghan were way off base. The marriage might last and I don't think they'll bring down the monarchy but I don't trust anything they say from here on out and as such I would certainly never donate any money to any foundation run by them.

The Telegraph Article

Is all well within Archewell? Questions raised as Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s chief of staff steps down

High turnover continues among Harry and Meghan's employees as high-profile Catherine St-Laurent becomes latest to leave full-time role. She is the philanthropic heavyweight hired to spearhead the Sussexes’ Stateside relaunch after “Megxit”.

Having advised Bill and Melinda Gates, Catherine St-Laurent appeared the perfect fit as Harry and Meghan’s new chief of staff and executive director of their non-profit Archewell Foundation when she was hand-picked last April.

Yet just 11 months on from her appointment being announced to much fanfare, the Montreal-born big hitter is stepping down from a position many had thought would occupy her for years to come. Not least because, to take up the post, she had resigned from a highly sought-after role advising Mrs Gates’s Pivotal Ventures social progress project.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...xs-chief-staff-has-stepped-according-reports/

Neither George nor Harry would be Duke of Cornwall in that situation.

Equal primogeniture also complicates the Duchy's inheritance rules as the eldest living son of the King won't be the heir apparent in the future if he has an older sister who is the King's firstborn. In that case, there wouldn't be a Duke of Cornwall either as neither the firstborn daughter nor her brother could inherit the Duchy, I think.

You are completely right. There was a Parliamentary Report when the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act was being passed that stated that new Letters Patent were needed to modify the original charter so that a female Heir Apparent could receive the Duchy, independent of the title. There were contemporary reports at the time (although they could have been merely based on rumors) that the Letters Patent would be drawn up to do so. But as far as I know, it hasn't actually been done yet.

The Duchy of Lancaster passed to the Queen as sovereign, and technically she is the Duke of Lancaster, though I don't think I've ever seen her addressed that way.

My aunt totally supports them. She's not the sort of person who watches trashy tv. She does think monarchy should be abolished everywhere and her whole basis for her support seems to be she doesn't blame them for leaving. Which to be to be fair I don't either if they had been tactful and graceful about it. But the whole exit has been a dumpster fire from day one.

I did try to point out the times they lied but she kept saying "I think they know more about the British Royal Family and how it works than you." I just gave up in frustration.

I did like Meghan in the beginning. I was very hopeful for the match and defended it. I thought perhaps they had gone a little fast for a royal match, which has pressure normal couples don't but I was still optimistic. And Harry seemed to be settling down well after some troubles in his early years. I was starting to question my earlier thoughts that he would go the way of his great-granduncle David. Guess it turns out my first impressions about Harry were correct and my first impressions about Meghan were way off base. The marriage might last and I don't think they'll bring down the monarchy but I don't trust anything they say from here on out and as such I would certainly never donate any money to any foundation run by them.
Well, they did not "leave entirely"...they still want the benefits of the Monarchy:cool: In fact, they might bad-mouth the Royal Family and the Institution, but they can't live without them...especially the titles and money/privileges. Without the Monarchy, they would be/have "nothing"...Imagine the horror:D:whistling:

A couple of interesting quotes from the Telegraph article

According to one well-placed insider: “I think there was a sense that she was having to fulfil a great many functions for the couple – not all of which were necessarily in her job spec.

Oscar-nominated producer Ben Browning has just been unveiled as Archewell’s head of content to “work closely with Netflix and Spotify”, with whom the couple signed multi-million dollar deals last year.

Along with newly promoted Mr Holt, Mr Browning’s employment means the two most powerful people in the Sussexes’ top team are now both white men – despite the couple having voiced their concerns about a lack of diversity in the Royal household.

It does not look very promising for the Netflix deal

Harry was born a Prince. So, unless he had his own choice of womb as an embryo, he was saddled with that title for life whether he wanted it or not.

The Sussexes are not funded by anyone in the Royal Family, and if Harry and Meghan had valued a privileged life so much then surely they would have stayed on the royal round in the UK, where they would, in the next reign have been higher ranked than anyone except the King and Queen and the new Prince and Princess of Wales. Instead they are settled in a republic.

Harry was born a Prince. So, unless he had his own choice of womb as an embryo, he was saddled with that title for life whether he wanted it or not.

The Sussexes are not funded by anyone in the Royal Family, and if Harry and Meghan had valued a privileged life so much then surely they would have stayed on the royal round in the UK, where they would, in the next reign have been higher ranked than anyone except the King and Queen and the new Prince and Princess of Wales. Instead they are settled in a republic.

And George...Charlotte...Louis.

Harry cared about being second fiddle. Maybe everyone would.

And George...Charlotte...Louis.

Harry cared about being second fiddle. Maybe everyone would.

Ranked higher as adult royals carrying on public duties, before George begins his public life. (I don’t think Charlotte and Louis will be fulltime royals, btw.) I do not expect the next reign to begin when George is in his late twenties.

From what I read Catherine is starting her own company. She was with Archewell as it was getting started and will stay on as an advisor. Not doubt she provided a lot of info to them and helped introduced them network. Now she is focusing on her own business.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExH5oNtWYAUtERd?format=jpg&name=large

This happens with new companies. Positions and role change a lot. We only seeing it with the Sussexes because the press is so hyper focused on them but none of this is that out of the ordinary.

What is good is that we are getting more news from Archewell. Seems like they are getting closer to actually being able to announce their projects soon. And that is a good thing for them.

This is very interesting news, ACO, and I agree that Catherine would have been and will continue to be an excellent source of advice. I’m certainly waiting to hear much more from Archewell as well.

Last edited:
The Duchy of Cornwall charter is free to read on the website on which the UK Government publishes its legislation. Any changes made to the charter would be recorded on the website.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/Edw3/11/0

Speaking of the Queen's grandchildren, doesn't she have legal custody of her grandchildren? I think I read that somewhere, but can anyone confirm whether or not that is true? If that is true, then Prince Charles will have legal custody of Archie when he becomes King.

I have never seen a reference to the title, year, or any other information regarding this alleged law, nor have I ever seen it mentioned by a reputable scholar.

There is a court ruling from 1717 which has been misinterpreted in that fashion by royal watchers, but in reality it does not have that effect.

Yes I remember the Queen having possible custody of William and Harry being mentioned in the media during the Charles/Diana divorce negotiations, and it was dismissed then.

While H&M (and their kids) will have trusts they will never get what Charles gets from TQ and in turn William gets from Charles. This is because there are no estate taxes/death duties levied on sovereign to sovereign inheritance. Anything they leave anyone else is subject to normal tax situations.

Also, as mentioned by others the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall is intended to provide a private purse for the monarch and heir...no one else has any legal rights to those.

I wonder if the talks were "unproductive", because they want their HRHs back and the Bank of Charles to open for them again and they were told that's not going to happen. Though it is quite funny that Meghan is using her own dad's tacticts :whistling:

Harry and Meghan haven’t lost their HRHs so there’s nothing to ‘get back’. The stylings are not to be used for commercial purposes, that’s all.

A number of posts have been moved to the Legal Actions thread. Rumors about the Sussexes and the Queen’s will, have been deleted.

They can’t use them in the states so they useless anyway Unless They want to keep them just to give themselves that edge. A fancy meaningless titled in front of your name can impress a lot of hangers on, influencers and vapid socialites

"The Voluntary Expats Formerly Known As TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Who No Longer Work There Anymore".

The longer form isn't quite so glittery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom