The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Harry could have gone to his father and said, “Meghan and I are really not happy with how things are going. We’re worried about our mental health and need to make changes. We’ve put together some tentative ideas about where we’d like to live and how we’d like to earn money, and how we’d like to combine those goals with continuing our work here in a less intense way. Here’s what we think our costs will be, including security - we’re asking you to think about contributing X amount for X amount of time while we get settled. Would you be willing to do this? Can you take some time to look over what we’ve come up with and let us know what you think? We’ll be as flexible as possible with our exit date but we want a new arrangement to be fully in place by the end of 2020. It goes without saying we won’t discuss any of this publicly until we get the ok from you/BP.” They could have hashed things out over the course of last year and I really think they could have come away with an arrangement that would have allowed them to live part time in the US, earn money in some sort of private capacity, and continue with scaled back royal duties.

The ridiculous part about it is that all the royals wound up having to scale back because of covid anyway. The conditions imposed upon us all by the pandemic would have provided The Sussexes an insanely easy way to gradually lessen their royal duties, while giving them all sorts of time to make well thought out plans for their new situation in the US. Who knows, after a few months of a more relaxing, less visible life, they may have decided that, with a few tweaks, remaining as full time working members of the BRF was doable.
Maybe I'm imagining things and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off base but wasn't it said that when Harry was talking with Charles from their hiatus in Canada about the situation and Charles told him to sit down and put it in writing? That had to be at the end of 2019 after the South African tour. Were they so impatient that Harry felt he had to talk to the Queen and at that time was told that she was busy? The "manifesto" must have been what they wrote down and figured out but due to a "leak", they had to release it to the website? All in all, it does sound like it was all very impatiently handled. Instead of talking and negotiating, they wanted results *now* and forced the issue?

With the way things have gone forward though, I don't think they ever thought there as a possibility of "no" for answer. I think any major corporation would have looked at that kind of a manifesto and deemed it conflict of interest to be just "part time" in and part time working for another corporation in basically the same line of business.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Ok...wait. Have the Sussexes appointed Gayle King as their office spokesperson??

Yes I agree. I wish she would sit down somewhere and stay out of this.

I was thinking the same thing - why is she suddenly Harry and Meghan's spokesperson? I like her even less than Oprah. Why don't they hire a PR person and have them release official statements if they want to dribble out news?

Old 03-17-2021, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The dukedom of Sussex was conferred to the couple by the Queen. It was never for them to choose.
I read that it was the title Harry preferred, instead of Clarence, Cumberland, and Windsor.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

I just watched a programme about Caroline Flack. A British TV presenter who tragically commited suicide a year ago. A lot of what was talked about was the same. The addiction to social media and an inability to not look at it. A loathing of the media but an inability to not engage in fame. A very no BS friend of hers said she wanted all the good parts of it but didn't get that when you become really famous you have to deal with all the dreadful stuff the media say. Her dalience with Prince Harry. And mostly how unstable she was and yes the Sussexes really are very unstable too.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I was thinking the same thing - why is she suddenly Harry and Meghan's spokesperson? I like her even less than Oprah. Why don't they hire a PR person and have them release official statements if they want to dribble out news?
Because they "won't speak about it anymore". Harry's words.

My guess is that they intended to play it classy and keep to the silence the RF adheres to but the temptation was too strong. And by having Gayle speaking out for them, they aren't *officially* leaking. Kind of Finding Freedom, second edition. They endorsed Scobie, announced he was a phony, then made him a confidant again... I have no idea why they think they're being savvy but leaking to Gayle is totally their style.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I read that it was the title Harry preferred, instead of Clarence, Cumberland, and Windsor.
I dont think Windsor was an option. Cambridge and Sussex were the Dukedoms talked about for William and Harry for years.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I do not recall anything even being suggested about the Dumbarton title being a problem for the Sussexes. As far as I know, that was only idle chatter here... and was likely thrown out as a bit of a tongue-in-cheek joke.
Quote:
Issues with the Dumbarton title was purely on social media and forums. I never saw in any tabloids or serious press about the couple disliking Earl of Dumbarton.

That is correct. The official statement sent to reporters from Buckingham Palace stated simply:

“While there are courtesy titles that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could apply to their son, they have chosen not to give him a “courtesy title” at this time. So he will be known as Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a4137941.html

Apart from Earl of Dumbarton, other courtesy titles which the couple could have chosen to apply to their son are

- Lord Kilkeel (the barony conferred on Prince Harry)
- Lord Mountbatten-Windsor (the traditional courtesy title used by the eldest son of a duke, marquess, or earl who does not hold another peerage of lower rank)
- Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor (the traditional courtesy title of a younger son of a duke)

Quote:
The dukedom of Sussex was conferred to the couple by the Queen. It was never for them to choose.
Can you share the evidence that the Queen did not allow her grandson a choice in the matter of which peerages she conferred on him? Note that unconfirmed reports stated that the Earldom of Wessex was the personal choice of Prince Edward.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

They've all got "interesting" histories. William IV was Duke of Clarence before he was king, but it's associated more closely with Edward IV's brother, who was executed for treason, supposedly by being drowned in a butt of malmsey wine, and George V's brother, who was supposedly suspected of being Jack the Ripper. Windsor, say no more. "Duke of Cumberland" is not a popular title in Scotland because it's associated with George II's son, who led the Hanoverian forces at Culloden, and it then all got a bit messy when it was held by the King of Hanover during the First World War.

The previous Duke of Sussex, Queen Victoria's uncle, seems to have been very nice!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I have the feeling that, no matter how much the Queen might give them, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy them for long.
The worst thing anyone could do is "buy silence" because, if you do it once, they'll always come back for more.
No to mention Gayle King announcing on CBS the next morning exactly how much the silence cost
Old 03-17-2021, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I've never heard anything so silly as Harry and Meghan claiming that they didn't want to use Dumbarton - the name of a perfectly harmless Scottish town - because it starts with "Dumb" (if they actually said that). If kids were going to make fun of anything, it'd be Sussex, which contains a much "ruder" word than Dumb, even if it does come from Saxon and not from, er, anything else. They didn't object to that

Rules on non-residents completing tax returns vary based on individual circumstances, but, assuming Harry gets UK income from investments and other sources, he probably still needs to complete one.
Right! Instead they wanted their son to be referred to as “Master” Archie?
Of course no one would have any issue with that in America.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Benefit of the Doubt...

Despite the highly favorable notices for the Sussex Africa tour, Meghan’s unhappiness was palpable- and she’s said she didn’t want to go on living.
Harry must have been distraught. So he went to Charles, who said, put it in writing. And his grandmother was too busy to see him.

Harry must have felt miserably ignored by his family. Perhaps they did have deeper worries and grievances than just the vile stories in the tabloids. But because of their position, the Firm expected stiffer upper lips than they were able to muster. When you are ill, you can’t always find ways to help yourself, and I say this about both Harry and Meghan.

Something was really wrong, and they were given the brush off by the people who should have cared. Anyone who has ever been around a person with mental illness knows you don’t just ignore threats of self harm, even if the person suffering is a member of the BRF.

Those who have had a suicide in their family or in their close circle, never get over thinking, What could I have done? Why didn’t I do something?

Thank G-d, nothing has happened, but I think that the Firm should feel someway other than offended and aggrieved. I think they should feel worried. And they should do everything they can to help.

If I were Charles, I would stop being quite so busy. I would hop on a private jet and get myself to California. He’s man enough to withstand any public criticism.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2021, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Issues with the Dumbarton title was purely on social media and forums. I never saw in any tabloids or serious press about the couple disliking Earl of Dumbarton.
Actually it was for them to choose. They were presented with a few choices and they chose Sussex.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Despite the highly favorable notices for the Sussex Africa tour, Meghan’s unhappiness was palpable- and she’s said she didn’t want to go on living.
Harry must have been distraught. So he went to Charles, who said, put it in writing. And his grandmother was too busy to see him.

Harry must have felt miserably ignored by his family. Perhaps they did have deeper worries and grievances than just the vile stories in the tabloids. But because of their position, the Firm expected stiffer upper lips than they were able to muster. When you are ill, you can’t always find ways to help yourself, and I say this about both Harry and Meghan.

Something was really wrong, and they were given the brush off by the people who should have cared. Anyone who has ever been around a person with mental illness knows you don’t just ignore threats of self harm, even if the person suffering is a member of the BRF.

Those who have had a suicide in their family or in their close circle, never get over thinking, What could I have done? Why didn’t I do something?

Thank G-d, nothing has happened, but I think that the Firm should feel someway other than offended and aggrieved. I think they should feel worried. And they should do everything they can to help.

If I were Charles, I would stop being quite so busy. I would hop on a private jet and get myself to California. He’s man enough to withstand any public criticism.
But the way to help Meghan was to get her under the care of a professional, not to flee the family and the country. Harry and Meghan continue to conflate Meghan's extreme unhappiness then with their series of grievances now. And mental health should never be used as a threat, a bargaining chip, or a tool in the media. I respect that Meghan likely had suicidal ideation but it doesn't change my feelings one bit about what they've done.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
But the way to help Meghan was to get her under the care of a professional, not to flee the family and the country. Harry and Meghan continue to conflate Meghan's extreme unhappiness then with their series of grievances now. And mental health should never be used as a threat, a bargaining chip, or a tool in the media. I respect that Meghan likely had suicidal ideation but it doesn't change my feelings one bit about what they've done.
“When you are ill, you can’t always find ways to help yourself...”

Anyone who has dealt with mental illness knows this.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Yes, which is why Harry should have done something after Meghan's misguided attempts to get herself help. And which is why people are questioning why he did not. The story and details don't appear to have been fully presented (yet), to say the least.

Futhermore, Meghan seems to have been recovered for quite some time, yet neither of them appear to be able to help themselves, currently.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
No mental health issue should ever be ignored or not taken seriously. In this case, Harry was talking to his father and realizing that there perhaps was serious trouble going on and the solution was to talk to dad about making the changes. Without Charles having an inkling of what is seriously wrong, it was easy to say "put it all in writing and we'll look at it". Harry was talking to his father, no less. As Harry said, he was ashamed to go into detail but perhaps that was the time he absolutely should have. Also, if he was at a loss of what to do, find someone professional that *does* know what to do. As been said many times before, Harry's been to mental health professionals before so it wasn't all Greek to him.

Can't blame people for not doing anything about something that they don't even know about. It's a very tricky situation and muddled and got royally (no pun intended) mixed up and convoluted and the repercussions are still happening to this day.

We're all really just guessing and putting pieces of the puzzle together to try and figure out what was what but one thing is certain. It's a mess that could have been handled a whole lot better.

Quote:
It was possible that could have happened but not after going on TV and hanging out everything to blow in the wind. Someone would spot Charles somewhere and it'd be all over the place "Charles Caves In!"
Old 03-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Nobody can help you with mental illness unless you also want to help yourself. Therapy is not the kind of treatment where the therapist can just "heal" you, as a doctor can for most physical ailments. But therapy is rather a lot of work, requires a lot of self examination, much of which is incredibly uncomfortable, and can also only be successful if the person moves away from blaming others and towards taking action on their own behalf.

I'm not sure what you expect Charles to do in the current situation. To fly to California despite covid restrictions, bring a large check and agree to all of Harry and Meghan's demands? Is that supposed to heal them?
Old 03-17-2021, 09:07 PM
Courtier

I’m wondering how Oprah and Harry’s mental health thing will be received? I can’t imagine anyone wanting to hear about mental health from someone who basically admitted that he didn’t do anything to get his suicidal wife that help she needed
Old 03-17-2021, 09:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

We don’t know what really happened since we are only getting Meghan and Harry’s version which considering how many times Meghan outright lied and Harry contradicted himself (and her) they are by no means a truthful reliable source. I don’t believe or trust anything these two or their mouthpieces say.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
No mental health issue should ever be ignored or not taken seriously. In this case, Harry was talking to his father and realizing that there perhaps was serious trouble going on and the solution was to talk to dad about making the changes. Without Charles having an inkling of what is seriously wrong, it was easy to say "put it all in writing and we'll look at it". Harry was talking to his father, no less. As Harry said, he was ashamed to go into detail but perhaps that was the time he absolutely should have. Also, if he was at a loss of what to do, find someone professional that *does* know what to do. As been said many times before, Harry's been to mental health professionals before so it wasn't all Greek to him.

Can't blame people for not doing anything about something that they don't even know about. It's a very tricky situation and muddled and got royally (no pun intended) mixed up and convoluted and the repercussions are still happening to this day.

We're all really just guessing and putting pieces of the puzzle together to try and figure out what was what but one thing is certain. It's a mess that could have been handled a whole lot better.
I totally agree with you however, I still fail to understand what was the purpose of the interview? Why would they want to share the family feud with the whole world? I cannot understand and it sounded like a bad decision since everything became messier than it was before. If moving out of the UK and leave the RF was for the sake of Meghan's mental health, then okay. But keeping with the drama is not healthy AT ALL...