The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
I get this but the bit about HM being prevented to see Harry was so over the top. It was cruel. There is a reason old people are perceived as more yielding to outside influence. It was a horrible thing to do to your grandmother and it was no less horrible to do to a Queen - to reduce her to the level of that old Jane who can barely put one foot before the other unless strictly told how to. He brought her down to the level of an old woman whose heirs are fightint over the will, accusing each other of taking advantage of her dotage.

That's one of the reasons I deem this interview worse than Andrew's, Diana's, Sarah's, Charles' and so on. Out of all of these, Diana was the only one vengeful and let's face it, we're all more understanding of a woman who was never loved by her husband than we are of two entitled teenagers approaching, biologically, their 40s. Aside from her, Harry and Meghan were the only ones aiming to damage the monarchy - and reducing its head to the level of a well-minded but going senile granny works wonders in this respect.

This part of the interview made me think of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, as she was described in her last years. Not a good image. And the fact that HM's grandson actively pursued it to advance himself is beyond words.
I know awful.

But he is rationisatoon it. It was of course her decision. But he doesn't want to see that.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

Since it's now clear they both cared a hell of a lot about titles my best guess is that they thought they could change the Queen's mind possibly partly using the race argument "it will look great if you do and look like you're racist if you don't" - (I wonder if Meghan has some out of context emails about that) and because Harry was one of her favourites and when nothing came of it they threw their toys out of the pram and said "nothing then! And we're not doing the photo call at the hospital either!" As well as deciding "Dumbarton" has too much potential for cruel kids and adults.
It's more than they didn't have a photo op at the hospital, I now realize that it was a bit strange to released a photo with the baby, the Queen and Philip, and Doria - not Charles. Obviously, they have a complicated relationship but that wasn't reported by their mouthpieces in Finding Freedom.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I know awful.

But he is rationisatoon it. It was of course her decision. But he doesn't want to see that.
Even if we get this emotional reason to be the right one (and I'm not at all convinced), for someone so mindful of his privacy, he was awfully inconsiderate to other people, happily exposing the grandmother he's supposedly so loving to and respectful of to worldwide scratching of chins and wondering if the old bird has gone off her rocker.

If he loved and respected her at all and he was convinced she had been prevented by her advisors from seeing him, he should have stayed silent. Instead, he threw her under the bus to pity himself for being so hard done by.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I know but i would guess that that was their reason (if there was any logical one) for not calling Archie teh Earl of Dumbarton. Or maybe it was just a hissy fit because they had expected him to be made a prince.?
i can understand not wanting him called Dumbo.. but I think that the queen would not understand rude nicknames.. But If H had explained it to her before she bestowed the title, she wuold have picked another Scottish title.
I've always been rather bemused by the choice of Dumbarton because it's not much of a town. My grandfather was born there, I grew up close by, it's not where I would think of first to create an earldom out of
Old 03-17-2021, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They were annoyed iwth the Palace and the queen but attacked the Press....
They had enough reason to be annoyed about the press!

But I can imagine as well that this was a reason behind their decision to keep most things about Archie private. I can still not understand their anger against the fact that Archie would only get his princely title when Charles became king. For more than 100 years that's the law. Similar to Diana who had to wait for her grandfather to die before she became "Lady" Diana and the family moved to Althorp. What did they think about how old the queen would become? Surely they didn't want a nurse or other staff to call Archie "Your Royal Highness"?

What I personally think they, especially Meghan, want to achieve now is getting Harry's inheritance before the queen and then his father dies. Harry because he wants the money and Meghan because she wants her husband to have money. At the moment the queen is the richest of the RF and she could take part of her investments (or even some stones from her vaults) and give it to Harry with noone the wiser. So IMHO these attacks are against the queen mostly and she reacted already. We'll see if at one point the talks stop from Meghan and Harry because the queen bought their silence.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just read where Gayle King said that H & M had an agreement with CBS and ITV that the interview would have been postponed if Prince Phillip died.

I mean are we seriously??? Gayle King really needs to stop being a mouthpiece and H & M really need to re-evaluate their life. This is getting ridiculous. They keep digging their hole deeper and deeper.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Even if we get this emotional reason to be the right one (and I'm not at all convinced), for someone so mindful of his privacy, he was awfully inconsiderate to other people, happily exposing the grandmother he's supposedly so loving to and respectful of to worldwide scratching of chins and wondering if the old bird has gone off her rocker.

If he loved and respected her at all and he was convinced she had been prevented by her advisors from seeing him, he should have stayed silent. Instead, he threw her under the bus to pity himself for being so hard done by.
He isn't much for reflection to be honest. And this is his one way of thinking at the moment.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
What I personally think they, especially Meghan, want to achieve now is getting Harry's inheritance before the queen and then his father dies. Harry because he wants the money and Meghan because she wants her husband to have money. At the moment the queen is the richest of the RF and she could take part of her investments (or even some stones from her vaults) and give it to Harry with noone the wiser.
There's another thing to consider - has Harry now been in the US long enough to become a US resident for tax purposes? If so, that's surely going to create another headache...
Old 03-17-2021, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
There's another thing to consider - has Harry now been in the US long enough to become a US resident for tax purposes? If so, that's surely going to create another headache...
I would imagine that both Harry and Meghan need to file a tax return for the year 2020. Even just as employers of anyone they pay at home, their security forces etc (deductions?). I'm not a tax expert so don't quote me on this. They probably owe property tax also. Tis the season where the IRS has their hands out no matter who you are.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
This is what the IRS says concerning this matter. This is naturally alone for federal taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...reen-card-test
Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Just read where Gayle King said that H & M had an agreement with CBS and ITV that the interview would have been postponed if Prince Phillip died.

I mean are we seriously??? Gayle King really needs to stop being a mouthpiece and H & M really need to re-evaluate their life. This is getting ridiculous. They keep digging their hole deeper and deeper.
I'm sure it would have. They'd have been roasted if he'd died and then a couple of days later they trashed the family and I do believe Harry cares for his grandfather. However they knew he 99 and ill and still went ahead with it.

It doesn't exactly seem great that Gayle has to "confirm" it though "oh well we *would* have cancelled if he'd died!" And I mean why are you still giving a running commentary on it.

Gayle's statements have their own xit name now - Leakxit.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I would expect he's working his way through the process of getting a marriage-based green card (legal permanent residency). Assuming he lost whatever diplomatic credential he might have had when he quit the Firm, I don't see how else he could stay here. No one is allowed to live here permanently on a tourist visa, and he doesn't seem to have done anything that would qualify him for anything else. If that's the case, he'll definitely need to pay US taxes. It will be amusing to see if he and Meghan reconsider their political stances once they do the math on what their preferred party's support for a wealth tax will mean for their finances.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The United States may be the land of the free and the home of the brave but you most certainly can't just get a free lunch these days unless you really, really need it and then it's there for you. Another question would be that now that Harry is a private citizen, living in the US, does he need to file a tax return in the UK as a British citizen?
Old 03-17-2021, 02:11 PM
Nobility

M&H could have set parameters on the interview and promoted themselves and their charities. Instead they chose to it for self pity, self justification, financial gain from the RF thru money, revenge, and disrespect for Harry's family. Reconcilation, I think not.
I like Harry but I have lost respect for him as a person and a man.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
If they didn't like Dumbarton or Kilkeel then they could have just used Lord Archie and said "so that he doesn't have a different title to his potential future sibling" as the reason.

There are plenty of names in the BRF that used as a nasty nickname, I've heard various for Wales, York, and Kent. There have been throughout history (there are tonnes for Saxe Coburg and Gotha). I remember people worrying that giving them Sussex would make the press start on about SusSEX but that never happened.

I remember that here at TRF when we didn't know what their title Dukedom (don't know if it's the right word) would be, some suggested that 'Windsor' might be used, but others argued that was unlikely because of the association still held with that title.

It seems strangely fitting now..
Old 03-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The United States may be the land of the free and the home of the brave but you most certainly can't just get a free lunch these days unless you really, really need it and then it's there for you. Another question would be that now that Harry is a private citizen, living in the US, does he need to file a tax return in the UK as a British citizen?
He would not be required to file taxes in the UK once he has been out of the country for a certain amount of time, and is no longer considered a resident for tax purposes.

AFAIK, he was never exempt from paying UK taxes just because he was an HRH, but he probably had people to handle any paperwork and returns for him.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=tihkon2;2382136]I don't think Harry is smart enough to gaslight anyone. I think he is the one that has been systematically manipulated into removing himself from his family and friends over the past few years.

The interview was for the US audience. It is not directed anywhere else. It's purpose is to create income / job opporunities for Meghan. The only marketpplace they care about is the US.Meghan and Oprah were deliberately vague and emotional in narrating Meghan's side of the story - remember this was an entertainment programme and admitted they were not subject to journalistic standards of balanced, evidence-based reporting. (not that journalists are always balanced and factual!)

The public sphere and public opinion in the US has become more emotional and rhetorical and doesnt even bother to try to be information oriented. Newspapers and TV news is highly political. Meghan is using this emotional language to seek sympathy and partisan support for her cause. The hope is that this identity will make her rich because it is a grievance-driven against the most famous family/ group of people in the world. Kerching.

Harry is understandably taking the side of his (first) wife and child. As a Son of Britain it is a pity that he chosen to reject his ancestry and heritage - but that is his choice.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I remember that here at TRF when we didn't know what their title Dukedom (don't know if it's the right word) would be, some suggested that 'Windsor' might be used, but others argued that was unlikely because of the association still held with that title.

It seems strangely fitting now..
At the time, I thought people bringing it up were mad, cruel, or strangely poorly-historically informed.

Now all I can think is if they want things so much, and they want so much, give them the double dukedom. (Although it would still not be fair to Archie.)

Edit: The Windsors' interview with Kenneth Harris in 1970 is at the end of their thread. Different timeframes, but she is oddly likeable despite everything and he is a very sad, diminished man (unhappy. Not necessarily pitiable). Will this, too, play out? Who knows...
Old 03-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

What I personally think they, especially Meghan, want to achieve now is getting Harry's inheritance before the queen and then his father dies. Harry because he wants the money and Meghan because she wants her husband to have money. At the moment the queen is the richest of the RF and she could take part of her investments (or even some stones from her vaults) and give it to Harry with noone the wiser. So IMHO these attacks are against the queen mostly and she reacted already. We'll see if at one point the talks stop from Meghan and Harry because the queen bought their silence.
I have the feeling that, no matter how much the Queen might give them, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy them for long.
The worst thing anyone could do is "buy silence" because, if you do it once, they'll always come back for more.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I have the feeling that, no matter how much the Queen might give them, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy them for long. The worst thing anyone could do is "buy silence" because, if you do it once, they'll always come back for more.
We never pay anyone Dane-geld,
No matter how trifling the cost;
For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
And the nation that plays it is lost!

Closed Thread