The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara77 View Post
There is the whisper of the reason why Harry and Meghan are doing this.

I have very unsettled emotions thinking on this, and uncomfortable feeling in my tummy that this is the goal. But why would Harry do this to his family? He has to understand that at this point, repairing the relationship will be so hard to do with these continued press leaks....if he wants money, security, etc., he clearly is either extorting/blackmailing his family to get it. Does he dislike or is so jealous of his family that he can't see clearly? Is he trying to avenge his mother?

It's almost as if.....he can't be King himself one day, or be treated equally to that caliber, then the Monarchy must go and no one have it. I've a bad feeling here that once Meghan has stripped Harry of all-his country, his titles, his family and friends-he will be left with nothing and she will move on without him.

How does his family retain something for Harry after the divorce (which will come) but at the same time protect the very institution of the Monarchy?
It would be a huge loss to royal followers over the world should the British Monarchy fall, but I have a feeling, that Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, George, Charlotte, and Louis would just fine. They are wealthy and healthy, it might even be a relief to them.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I actually thought Mrs Obama's comments were the very essence of diplomacy - she wasn't specific about any sides she might be taking. She said she wasn't surprised that racism had come up as an issue etc. I didn't read her answer as saying "oh yeah those Brit royals are racist" at all, to be honest if anything I took it a little as being more on the side of the RF but in reality I think her words were neutral enough everyone can project their own feelings onto them.

She did also say about public service: "The thing that I always keep in mind is that none of this is about us in public service, it's about the people we serve."

I think her comments about “...there’s nothing more important than family.” are spot on here. I hope both the RF and H&M reflect on that.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It had moved down the news agenda until today with Gayle King telling the world about the telephone calls.
It will become so obvious if they keep doing this to keep them newsworthy. This is the bit about Harry I struggle with, we all know his views on the media but he uses it to his own ends.

They better prepare for the backlash from the British press, they will be digging, and god help them if they find anything.
Well, there will be no more phone calls, let's wait and see what else H&M have in their arsenal.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

and I'm sure when there are no more phone calls H&M will moan about how the RF are ignoring them....they do play their own stories so well these two its really rather sad.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That headline's a little clickbaity. She didn't talk about her own experiences with the BRF just a general note that racism isn't a new thing so it's not a complete surprise to hear that Meghan "had feelings" about it. Seemed more like not wanting to invalidate Meghan's feelings rather than add any of her own.

Followed by the quotes about unity, family, forgiveness and service.

Definitely a horrible headline though.

There are plenty on BAME people who've stood up and said they've only had good experiences with the BRF (and not just on official engagements for 5 minutes either) but of course most of those get lost in the shuffle.

Figures. The headline was misleading regarding what Michelle said. What a surprise.

Sort of like the headline saying Meghan’s emails proved her story about Catherine correct. No- it proved Meghan wrote an email in 2020. It further proved her obsession on the subject. What it didn’t do was prove her story was the complete truth.

Journalists really are irresponsible.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It had moved down the news agenda until today with Gayle King telling the world about the telephone calls.
It will become so obvious if they keep doing this to keep them newsworthy. This is the bit about Harry I struggle with, we all know his views on the media but he uses it to his own ends.

They better prepare for the backlash from the British press, they will be digging, and god help them if they find anything.
Completely agree with you.... the press had started to talk of other people....so a drastic action was needed to stay on the front pages.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm wondering what Netflix is thinking hearing they only signed with them for productions because they a) had no choice and b) realized they needed "big money" and needed it fast? Now they're under contract to provide something worth the money they contracted for. With Harry moaning to the world he's been "cut off" Is Netflix worried they won't have the funds to actually produce something worth their while to air?

As their reputations sink from being philanthropists and influencers to being *talk show entertainment*, is Netflix worried at all about what they're going to come up with? I sure would be.
Netflix isn’t stupid. Unlike what their die-hard fans want you to believe Netflix did not had them $100 million dollars upfront per people who know how these contracts work. They were given some upfront money to get something produced that they could then sell to Netflix or someone else (if Netflix didn’t want it).

There is a lot of chatter that the absolute panic the Sussex’s find themselves in is because they have nothing worthy to produce/present to Netflix in return for the initial payment. Even with Spotify they had the 1 podcast and haven’t managed to come up with another one.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I'm just going to stick this back in here: https://archive.ph/snrmO (good piece from the Telegraph).

This was good.

I have to say- it does kind of look like Meghan wants to be Diana. She just adds the race factor in. This article made a good argument for it.

Someone else called Meghan manipulative and ruthless.

I enjoy any author who will call Meghan out on that stupid, over the top Little Mermaid reference. It was laughable. People actually fell for that?! I can’t take someone seriously who makes absurd analogies like that. And to think Meghan graduated from college....
Old 03-16-2021, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
It would be a huge loss to royal followers over the world should the British Monarchy fall, but I have a feeling, that Charles and Camilla, William and Kate, George, Charlotte, and Louis would just fine. They are wealthy and healthy, it might even be a relief to them.
Why should it fall because of Z list poor actress from deal or no deal, who stamped her foot because she didn't get her own way then ran off.

I also think Gayle King and cbs should looking at racism in its own backyard and leave us to sort out our own problems .

The latest they kept me in the house for 4 months story was that when she was staying in Windsor her and Doria wanted to drive to town to buy take out coffee but was banned. I would suggest she was advised for security it would not be a good idea, did nobody give them a coffee maker for a wedding present. Why would you want to drive in a car to buy a coffee to take it back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Completely agree with you.... the press had started to talk of other people....so a drastic action was needed to stay on the front pages.
I wonder if Harry has seen the photograph of his 99 year old grandfather leaving hospital today. It should give him food for thought.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
This was good.

I have to say- it does kind of look like Meghan wants to be Diana. She just adds the race factor in. This article made a good argument for it.

I enjoy any author who will call Meghan out on that stupid, over the top Little Mermaid reference. It was laughable. People actually fell for that?! I can’t take someone seriously who makes absurd analogies like that. And to think Meghan graduated from college....
My favourite picture is the one in SA that's exactly Diana in Africa, down to the pose. Same outfit, same accessories, hands on hips everything. She knew what she was doing there, so she'd clearly done a lot of Diana research. Why couldn't she have researched royal protocol and expectations as well?

That lends credence to some staffers saying she was determined to be the poor outsider if she/they couldn't have it all their own way.

I do like that article pointing out that she didn't seem to have realised that she was the Fergie, not the Diana in "The Institution". Little different there.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm just going to stick this back in here: https://archive.ph/snrmO (good piece from the Telegraph).

I read it and it's very good IMO but terribly sad at the same time.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
This was good.

I have to defend Meghan here on the Little Mermaid reference. It's a trademark of having a child that you read books to every night before they go to sleep. The story gets implanted permanently in your brain and you find yourself speaking like these storybook characters when you're in a totally adult situation. Like out to dinner with friends, you'll catch yourself going "I have to go potty. Be right back."
Old 03-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
When I heard the Little Mermaid's reference, I sat and wondered what the hell. Didn't this one turn into seafoam?

Ah, the differences between growing up in a (by then, very recently) ex-Communist country and growing up in Hollywood. In the first setting, it wasn't a sure thing at all that you'd grow up with a video to actually watch The Little Mermaid, so the chances that you'd read the fairytale were higher. To me, the Little Mermaid is always the Andersen's one. The other is Ariel.

It was mildly second-hand embarrassing to watch a grown, educated woman gushing over a film character without any indication that she was acquainted with one of the most famous literary fairytales on which it was based. But then, that's Meghan. That's Hollywood. Even when The Little Mermaid's story would have served her better, by mentioning that she wanted to avoid her fate, took her life in her own hands and achieved her Disney happy ending.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Nobility

Yes!

Quote:
Excellent article, there is truth behind it.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The latest they kept me in the house for 4 months story was that when she was staying in Windsor her and Doria wanted to drive to town to buy take out coffee but was banned. I would suggest she was advised for security it would not be a good idea, did nobody give them a coffee maker for a wedding present. Why would you want to drive in a car to buy a coffee to take it back home.
People do do that but they could have just used a coffee maker. Even if it was suggested that they didn't for security reasons we know they did go out in Windsor, indeed had pub lunches with Ellen DeGeneres so it clearly wasn't all the time.

The DM dossier said they couldn't pinpoint a time when she didn't appear either formally or informally (or go on holiday) for 4 months.

She's not Sheikhas Latifa or Shamsa here.

And Kate just made going go to a memorial/vigil/rally happen in a crowded place, in London, in a pandemic. I don't think there's many times when they're actually *banned* from going anywhere, if ever.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
Do you think that might be Harry's goal? He seems to genuinely believe that his father and brother are trapped by a sense of duty in a system that's harming them. If the monarchy is abolished, they'd be free to move on with their lives (as Harry has done) without any lingering guilt from abandoning their duty. Or so it might seem to Harry, who may believe he's doing them a favor in the long run.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
My favourite picture is the one in SA that's exactly Diana in Africa, down to the pose. Same outfit, same accessories, hands on hips everything. She knew what she was doing there, so she'd clearly done a lot of Diana research. Why couldn't she have researched royal protocol and expectations as well?

That lends credence to some staffers saying she was determined to be the poor outsider if she/they couldn't have it all their own way.

I do like that article pointing out that she didn't seem to have realised that she was the Fergie, not the Diana in "The Institution". Little different there.

Agreed- Meghan forgot she was Fergie. Ooops. And....she will never be Diana. For so many reasons.

Harry also seems to be mimicking Diana in his actions. The author drew a lot of parallels.

Oh...if the staff could talk....I have a feeling Harry and Meghan would not come out well in this.

“No family, no relationship, is improved by sharing grievances with several million others; after this, the distance between the Sussexes and Harry’s family may be greater than the physical space of the Atlantic Ocean.”

That was a good quote. So true. And very sad really. More for Meghan and Harry in some ways because they show by their words and actions what they really value...and what they don’t.

It occurs to me that the Spencer side of the family has just been quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have to defend Meghan here on the Little Mermaid reference. It's a trademark of having a child that you read books to every night before they go to sleep. The story gets implanted permanently in your brain and you find yourself speaking like these storybook characters when you're in a totally adult situation. Like out to dinner with friends, you'll catch yourself going "I have to go potty. Be right back."

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

I watched the movie a number of times. I’m close to Meghan’s age. But Meghan using a Disney princess to compare herself to. It annoys me. It just felt over the top.

I’ve made movie/tv/book references myself- out loud or in my head. I work a lot with pivot tables on a project I have- and in my head I hear Ross on friends screaming “PIVOT....PIVOT.” Lol
Old 03-16-2021, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Plenty of ordinary people do enjoy driving out to buy their favourite coffee; sometimes every day.

Meghan's comment shows that the usual way of royal existence (considering security and media attention) was too confining for her.

It's obvious that Harry did not give Meghan enough time to understand the lifestyle he wanted her to embrace.

How horrid that Harry and Meghan have discussed family conversations with Gayle King. The Royal family can no longer speak with them in confidence.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Do you think that might be Harry's goal? He seems to genuinely believe that his father and brother are trapped by a sense of duty in a system that's harming them. If the monarchy is abolished, they'd be free to move on with their lives (as Harry has done) without any lingering guilt from abandoning their duty. Or so it might seem to Harry, who may believe he's doing them a favor in the long run.
Harry & Meghan certainly underestimated the British public judging by the YouGov poll results. More British people sympathise with the Queen & Royal Family than Harry & Meghan. Even the neither option is higher than Harry & Meghan option. The Sussexes are at their lowest popularity as ever

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics..._favourability
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...w-harry-meghan

Ultimately, it's up the British public to decide via a referendum or general election (i.e. one party wins majority that has the pledge to abolish the monarchy) to decide who should the head of state. No matter how hard CNN or other American celebrity/Hollywood media wants to push their agenda, it's all depends on the British public. And they certainly are not buying into Harry & Meghan's narrative, the American "progressive" press or even UK's own social justice activists. Whilst there were slight decrease in support of the monarchy and some members of the royal family, but they are still in the positive (apart from Camilla) and safe-majority range (More than 50% in support of the monarchy). Harry & Meghan however have negative popularity.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

It occurs to me that the Spencer side of the family has just been quiet.
But why would they get involved? They weren't the family he dragged onto Oprah. And it doesn't really serve them to either trash or back Harry, at least not at this point, not until and unless something else happens. Staying quiet appears to be the tactful and tasteful thing to do right now.

Closed Thread