The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If as Gayle King says the conversations were "not productive" does that mean there's some sort of negotiation about something? If so what could it be? More money, a letter of apology, titles for the kids, a statement form the palace that the press are horrid?

What exactly do they want?

Continuing in this vein with the press alerted every time something is done or said connecting the Sussexes to the British Royal Family, it's a surefire way to guarantee the focus is on the BRF and not the Sussexes as the prime time, prime interest people in the tidbit. It does nothing for the Sussexes, who if I'm remembering right, are striving to build up their own "brand". This is the complaint now that the focus is on the BRF being racist and Meghan moaning she just wanted the press to stop being racist against her.

You don't make a name for yourself riding on somebody else's coattails.
... And casting yourselves into the part of the ones cast out.

Just 14 months ago, they were the proud rebels poised to bravely leave a blazing trail in the world and be a change for good. Now, they are the ones the RF keeps telling "no" and "won't"... when they bother to talk to them at all. They've basically gone into "Give me a look, I'm here, I'm here, *notice me*!" mode and proclaiming it to the world.

I can only think that their plan of winning an income is tied with high drama. *If* they have any plan at all, because, as you and others have pointed out, the chance that they just keep lashing out is astronomical.

If as Gayle King says the conversations were "not productive" does that mean there's some sort of negotiation about something? If so what could it be? More money, a letter of apology, titles for the kids, a statement form the palace that the press are horrid?

My guess is that they called and the phone was answered and it was a short conversation basically saying "Buzz off. Goodbye". Well, maybe a little bit more civil but that'd be the gist of it after enquiring into everyone's health and asking about Philip and Granny and... oh yah.. the weather. ?

It's a good question but honestly, I read that as "they aren't getting what they want from their little temper tantrum." As in, the RF aren't backing down on the no money, no security, no titles earlier than laid out in the LP, and certainly no slap on the wrist for the press for the stories that Meghan doesn't like. Pretty much as "they were unproductive because we made no headway on getting our way."

Which does lead to my next question and that is, Meghan likes to throw around or at least have her friends throw around for her the threat that she has proof or receipts or can back up her claims. What about the RF? What if they have proof, too that Harry and Meghan are indeed trying the blackmail tactic to get what they want? Now, I realize that in no world prior now would the RF have ever gone after one of their own legally but frankly, they may not have a choice if this continues. At a certain point they're going to get completely fed up with the threat to hold something over their heads, blackmail them, etc. and it'll be time to put up or shut up and then what? Will they actually go after Harry and Meghan legally if those threats are actually being explicitly made? And, if I'm honest, I don't think I'd be particularly surprised if they are given that their level of desperation to stay in the headlines seems to have increased exponentially as of late.

And I think it's frustrating for them to see that it's a racial conversation about the Royal Family when all they wanted all along was for the royals to intervene and tell the Press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant.

First of all, I never saw a racial slant in any of the stories, she was criticized, and accurately so, for her spending habits, not sticking to the royal protocol, and being a general nuisance.
Second, does she propose that the Palace censor the press? Meghan will find out the hard way, that if the tide turns against her in the US, our newspapers have a lot more room to maneuver than the Britsh press

According to further GK quotes for the BRF to call the *press* out for continuing to be racist about Meghan and call them out any time there's even a hint of press untruth ever. Even though she's now left the "The Institution" and she can order her own staff to do that if she wants. And most of the press that's been critical about Meghan is calling out easily fact checkable truths.

Even most A-listers just ignore 90% of nasty press they get because it gets forgotten if you don't continually put out press releases every 5 seconds.

Gayle says they never meant to call the BRF racist and can't understand why all the focus is on that. :rolleyes: No idea why....

Quite how they're supposed to do this, especially after Meghan deliberately lobbed the racist grenade which means the BRF are even more vulnerable to the press than before is anyone's guess. And they apparently haven't noticed that everyone's managing to carry on doing their jobs whilst not defending *themselves* all the time either.

And apparently no one has called Meghan to talk to her, even though she's not their direct relative and it's probably best they try and sort things out wit their brother/son first. And she should understand not talking to relatives since the only family member she's actually speaking to is her mother.

Behind the scenes I wouldn't be surprised if H&M want William and Charles to apologise for existing and give them more money otherwise they'll leak further emails and possibly taped conversations etc.

Maybe they hoped the BRF statement would put out a point by point rebuttal so Meghan was justified in releasing her so called proof and arranging Oprah part 2.

Last edited:
It is with disbelief I read the transcript of what Gayle King said!

Either H&M will make it very clear, and soon, that Gayle King is history as far as they are concerned - or she is acting on their behalf.

Assuming the latter, then this is nothing short of extortion of the BRF.
H&M are, through Gayle King, basically saying: "Either you comply with our demands or we will expose one or more members of the BRF as racists."

H&M can forget all about reconciliation. That ship has sailed.
If the BRF can't trust that what they say in phone conversation isn't to be read in the papers the next day, there will be no further direct talks.

I believe any further communication from the BRF to H&M will be via the family lawyers and very formally.

I simply cannot stress enough how stupid I find this approach if H&M's intention is to reestablish good relations, or even tolerable relations!

It does, unfortunately, lend credibility to a thought that has grown within me for a while. That it is not the result that matters.
The result is secondary to the attention this action by H&M gets.
Reconciliation is secondary. The BRF admitting to racism within the family is secondary. Even getting the BRF to publicly speak up against racism in the press is secondary.
It is the attention H&M gets by, shall we say, urging the BRF to do this that is the primary objective.
In other words: H&M wants to be seen as champions of their cause. Peace with the BRF is is fine, but on H&M's terms.

It is also a very serious poker game!
Meghan (because it is clearly stated that she has written evidence) better have some real proof backing up her claim, because the BRF may be forced to call her bluff.

This has developed worse than I imagined!
This has gone beyond folly.

I can envision QEII calling Harry, in a last, desperate, attempt to reconcile. But I'm afraid even that would end up in the papers the next day.

Last edited:
For someone who hates, fears, and mistrusts the press as much as Harry does, why does he now think he can use it against his family, let alone the Palace?

It's not only a double-edged sword, it's a stupid double-edged sword.

Well, I flatly cannot watch any of that nonsense again. But if you can, I'd be very interested to hear what exactly was said. I do remember that part but certainly not word for word. It almost sounds as if he's admitting that they were, if not planning their exit, at least entertaining the idea earlier than they'd have us believe. Now, there have certainly been rumors to that effect but whether they're true or not, who knows.

Well I told you I was sad and still on lockdown, so I have just replayed where they are asked about blindsiding the queen, Harry goes on about how much he respects her etc funnily enough didn't say he loved her.
They both say that conversations went on over two years. Then the bit about conversations when they were in Canada, also that he told them that a statement would go out on the 7th January.

What I am taking out of this is that going by the timescales they talk about it had been the plan from day 1 to work in a different way. There had been discussions over 2 years, Which is before they were married.

At the Same time they are saying they left because they received no help or support and the press was against them. Others were jealous of Meghans popularity
Meghan is also saying that she gave up everything to marry him and do the work that went with it.
Lots of contradictions from them with confusing timelines.
If all these conversations had been going on since day 1 could that account for the alleged difficulties between the brothers. They are making out they left because of the difficulties but were the difficulties caused by their demands.

I have exhausted myself never mind anybody else.

Every time I think that Harry and Meghan can't possibly make things any worse, they do just that. I can't believe that Gayle King said anything without their say-so.

If William were to ring Harry to say "Nice weather for the time of year" or "Good result for Villa the other night", even that'd probably be broadcast all over CBS.

Every time I think that Harry and Meghan can't possibly make things any worse, they do just that. I can't believe that Gayle King said anything without their say-so.

If William were to ring Harry to say "Nice weather for the time of year" or "Good result for Villa the other night", even that'd probably be broadcast all over CBS.

Gayle King: William called last night and Harry and Meghan were so excited to finally start talking about something real and wanted to mend fences but all William wanted to talk about was soccer. He's not emotionally there for them at this difficult time...

So I had to be and had to share it with all of you.

Well, I flatly cannot watch any of that nonsense again. But if you can, I'd be very interested to hear what exactly was said. I do remember that part but certainly not word for word. It almost sounds as if he's admitting that they were, if not planning their exit, at least entertaining the idea earlier than they'd have us believe. Now, there have certainly been rumors to that effect but whether they're true or not, who knows.
Thankfully there are transcripts, unfortunately a lot of what they said is not clear at all.
Oprah: Did you blindside the Queen?
Harry: No. I’ve never blindsided my grandmother. I have too much respect for her.
Oprah: So where did that story come from?
Harry: I hazard a guess that it probably could have come from within the institution.
Oprah: Mmm.
Meghan: So, I remember when you talked to her several times about this over...
Harry: Two years.
Meghan: Two years. But even the night before, days before, with the statement coming out, I remember that conversation.
Oprah: So, how do you know she wasn’t blindsided? Because the way it was presented through the Press is that suddenly you made this announcement. She didn’t know it was coming.
Harry: No, I . . . when we were in Canada, I had three conversations with my grandmother and two conversations with my father and — before he stopped taking my calls — and he said, ‘Can you put this all in writing what your plan is?’
So since their little escapade to Canada was in 2019, 2 years would mean they started talking about it in... late 2017? So even before the wedding?

Can someone please make this make sense, because I can't? :lol:

Everyone can understand a family wanting to mend fences but Gayle King is talking about two future heads of state. Whatever is being discussed should be through lawyers from now on.

We don't want to end up listening to a cleverly edited recording of a private conversation between Harry Windsor & his relatives on CBS news.

Thankfully there are transcripts, unfortunately a lot of what they said is not clear at all.
So since their little escapade to Canada was in 2019, 2 years would mean they started talking about it in... late 2017? So even before the wedding?

Can someone please make this make sense, because I can't? :lol:

Certainly lends some credence to that story about this being the plan all along and about why, when HM told them they didn't have to accept titles or even work for the RF, they refused. If this were planned all along they'd know that they'd need those titles to open doors for them down the line.

I don't know if those stories are true or not but they were so prevalent that I suspect it's a case of where's there's smoke there's fire.

I came back to this moment and TBH, I interpreted it in a completely different way.
So from my point of view, Meghan wanted to say this, basically interrupted Harry (who tried to speak), then said "sorry" and touched his hand. So I interpreted it as a part of that apology, if that makes sense :flowers:

Fair enough we all interpret things differently but as you point out she made a dig again that she in her mind was treated differently to others.

It's a good question but honestly, I read that as "they aren't getting what they want from their little temper tantrum." As in, the RF aren't backing down on the no money, no security, no titles earlier than laid out in the LP, and certainly no slap on the wrist for the press for the stories that Meghan doesn't like. Pretty much as "they were unproductive because we made no headway on getting our way."

Which does lead to my next question and that is, Meghan likes to throw around or at least have her friends throw around for her the threat that she has proof or receipts or can back up her claims. What about the RF? What if they have proof, too that Harry and Meghan are indeed trying the blackmail tactic to get what they want? Now, I realize that in no world prior now would the RF have ever gone after one of their own legally but frankly, they may not have a choice if this continues. At a certain point they're going to get completely fed up with the threat to hold something over their heads, blackmail them, etc. and it'll be time to put up or shut up and then what? Will they actually go after Harry and Meghan legally if those threats are actually being explicitly made? And, if I'm honest, I don't think I'd be particularly surprised if they are given that their level of desperation to stay in the headlines seems to have increased exponentially as of late.

First thing that came to mind here was if Harry and Meghan have any sense at all they would *not* poke the bear. The BRF probably have some of the very best legal eagles around and, if needed, for constitutional law, there's Parliament. IF, that is, the royal family feels this would be the last resort. Petition Parliament to remove their ducal titles and sever all binds as if they're disowning them. The argument could be that one definition of treason is "the action of betraying someone or something." It's just a thought that went through my mind (still weak on the caffeine flow) but seriously, I think no matter what they do or what they threaten, they're going to run up against a very solid and unforgiving brick wall. The "Firm" and the Royal Family are not going to lower themselves to an lollapalooza of the drag down, knock out fight in the court of public opinion.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 -

A good start would be not going to the media every time you talk to a family member...

You’d think that would be a no- brainer. Of course- Harry said that while giving a back stabbing interview to begin with. Figures he might not see continuing to run to the media as an issue.

Unless he doesn’t want reconciliation and is only saying he does because he knows it would sound bad if he says he has no desire to reconcile with his family. (Or he only wants it if his family gives him and his wife everything they think they’re entitled to. Good luck with that.)

Last edited:
The Gayle King thing is something else. Vile. They are just vile. If this was a divorce I would be appalled by the side doing this.

Last edited:
Every time I see a part of this interview in writing I catch something new.

I don't know why Harry would think the idea that he blindsided The Queen came "from the Institution." I don't think that idea came from anywhere except people putting two and two together and getting four.

Working from memory, the Sussexes put their ideas out for the world to see as if they had already been approved. The Palace released a statement that there was still quit a bit to be worked through. The arrangement that was reached did not remotely resemble their original requests.

So Harry either 1. blindsided The Queen or 2. released the ideas into the world knowing they were not approved, trying to force her hand into giving him what he wanted or else make it look like she went back on her word.

I'm not sure why he thinks eliminating option 1 makes him look better.

Well the Gayle King comments make it clear H&M are not interested in a family getting back together on good term but that H&M are out for getting whatever they can from the RF. Leaking your private family calls to a journalist so she can on TV and reveal about it for all is not giving anyone privacy, not constructive and is effectively H&M trolling the RF.

I think H&M can't stand that the RF is not giving them all the fuss and attention they want and are determined to keep themselves in the forefront. I mean, Meghan wasn't in the RF for all that long so they will soon run out of dirt of the RF soon unless Harry is ready to spill any older family secrets.

I wonder if we are looking at the Netflix concept?

Which is basically a documentary of H&M exposing the BRF and the British press for being racist and how they forced both the BRF and the British press to admit that fact and to make amends.

In which case they may be in for a surprise!
Because Netflix may not be interested. It may simply be too poisonous and too risky for Netflix.
Having two rogue family members having an open feud and talking about it to select talk show hosts is one thing, paying them for producing a documentary about it, is a whole different ballgame! Because Netflix may be held liable to lawsuits - not to mention any possible public backlash.

I wonder if we are looking at the Netflix concept?

Which is basically a documentary of H&M exposing the BRF and the British press for being racist and how they forced both the BRF and the British press to admit that fact and to make amends.

In which case they may be in for a surprise!
Because Netflix may not be interested. It may simply be too poisonous and too risky for Netflix.
Having two rogue family members having an open feud and talking about it to select talk show hosts is one thing, paying them for producing a documentary about it, is a whole different ballgame! Because Netflix may be held liable to lawsuits - not to mention any possible public backlash.

Y'know, thinking back now, that Shaman and the Princess dog and pony show doesn't look so bad now eh? :whistling:

I must say it is a delightful pastime for me to sometimes read old threads (of all subjects) here on TRF. On days like today, when it is unseasonably cold and rainy, I will amuse myself with reading the old comments and seeing how wrong I was. (Truthfully, though, it is wonderful to see how perception of people and events changes over the years. It is a perk of being such a seasoned member.)

I amused myself this afternoon with reading part of the old thread from when the Sussexes first announced their decision and most shout out Nico for this comment, in response to Mbruno hoping everything would become clear in time:

Well just wait for the book and Oprah interview. I'm afraid it will come sooner or later.

:cool:

The Gayle King thing is something else. Vile. They are just vile. If this was a divorce I would be appalled by the side doing this.

This is appalling. I really don’t know what to say.

They seem a lot more interested in dragging their family through the mud, running to the press, being petty and vindictive than in running their foundation or producing something for Netflix.

I realize the entertainment world doesn’t think the way I do....but who would want to do business with these 2 now? This is one long temper tantrum. It’s embarrassing and very unprofessional behavior. Though IMO they’ve been unprofessional in public for over a year and a half now.

Every time I see a part of this interview in writing I catch something new.

I don't know why Harry would think the idea that he blindsided The Queen came "from the Institution." I don't think that idea came from anywhere except people putting two and two together and getting four.

Working from memory, the Sussexes put their ideas out for the world to see as if they had already been approved. The Palace released a statement that there was still quit a bit to be worked through. The arrangement that was reached did not remotely resemble their original requests.

So Harry either 1. blindsided The Queen or 2. released the ideas into the world knowing they were not approved, trying to force her hand into giving him what he wanted or else make it look like she went back on her word.

I'm not sure why he thinks eliminating option 1 makes him look better.

I think you are spot on with option 2 , then when they didnt cave in , stopped the money , they started this rubbish.

I think H&M can't stand that the RF is not giving them all the fuss and attention they want and are determined to keep themselves in the forefront. I mean, Meghan wasn't in the RF for all that long so they will soon run out of dirt of the RF soon unless Harry is ready to spill any older family secrets.

There might well be some family secrets from years ago that Harry could divulge. But it does come with a risk. There are plenty of very unflattering stories about Harry the press could drag up again as well. Although I'm sure they would issue a statement about being victims of the nasty press again whilst giving Oprah and Gayle half remembered, private titbits to tell the entire world on TV.

Then there's the risk that they end up becoming unsympathetic if they keep bitching about their ex family who aren't really doing the same.

I think the BRF have taken the "keep calm and carry on" approach knowing if they say nothing there is little that H&M can hit out at them for- if they turn around now and say that the RF aren't talking to them then the RF can point out they are leaking what is said to the press (who they apparently they want privacy from)

Certainly lends some credence to that story about this being the plan all along and about why, when HM told them they didn't have to accept titles or even work for the RF, they refused. If this were planned all along they'd know that they'd need those titles to open doors for them down the line.

I don't know if those stories are true or not but they were so prevalent that I suspect it's a case of where's there's smoke there's fire.

But, if Her Majesty knew that they were leaving, why did she grant them the titles?

Y'know, thinking back now, that Shaman and the Princess dog and pony show doesn't look so bad now eh? :whistling:

I know you're joking, Osipi, but no. This doesn't make ML and Verrett look better, at all. Maybe remotely more dignified, but not better. H&M have just sunk the bar to a troubled new low.

Also, ML is in no danger of being cut off, at least in the current Norwegian reign. We'll see what she does should that ever come up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom