The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Charles has money separate from the Duchy, I would think that Harry can expect to inherit at least half of that. Didn't the Queen Mother leave less money to Charles and William because they would have independent incomes?
I think that Harry was clealry anxious about money, and scared that he'd be living on less.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It would t surprise me if the Sissexes were costing more. Private jets, holidays...although a lot seem to be freebies. Meghan's wardrobe from accounts was more expensive than Kate's.
But Meghan was starting to gain a wardrobe while Kate had some 7 years ahead of her to build her own. Now, the private jets and holidays... didn't Amal Clooney step up and say she had covered part of the travel cost for the baby shower? If she had, then we can infer that Meghan paid for the rest of it. They had friends paying their private jets for them but surely not all of their travels?

Given the way Meghan wanted her child to be equal to "other grandchildren" without paying any mind to the specifics of the institutions that kept all those children, her own included, in style, I do find it very probable that she demanded that she and Harry be treated the same as "other son's family" - which would be a problem for Charles. King isn't just a title and the differences between Harry and Meghan, and William and Catherine could never be narrowed to, "Well, the one couple is king and queen and the other has to bow and curtsey to them". There was always more and I can see the Sussexes not liking it.

As I said in my much older posts, Roger Zelazny said it best about princes and their struggles. Something along the lines of, "What is having so much, yet scrambling for something just a little more, a tiny edge over the others if not madness?" I, for one, would be very happy and completely comfortable with 500 000 bucks. But then, my wardrobe doesn't cost about this much yearly and I actually have to cover my own expenses fully.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...
I think he said it in connection to the initial period of their courtship. He thought it was very important to say how stingly his family was by not providing security for his long-distance girlfriend. He kept talking about this period. I think it was about the early stages of their relationship, not the marriage.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...
I thought I had read somewhere that the queen had offered them a low key start and introduction to royal life allowing Meghan to continue her acting if she wished.
Why is Harry moaning anyway he was the one chatting up the film executive for voice over work.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
I think he said it in connection to the initial period of their courtship. He thought it was very important to say how stingly his family was by not providing security for his long-distance girlfriend. He kept talking about this period. I think it was about the early stages of their relationship, not the marriage.
I suppose that's possible... but when Meg came to England she was engaged to him so she'd have had his security around. I suppose it might be when she was visiting him in the UK and she wouldn't get security as she wasn't a royal or a fiancee. But then, honestly would someone have said "Oh she'll have to keep working as an actress because we're not going to pay for her security"? it wouldn't really make sense. She was working then....and she was staying iwht him during her visits to the UK so she'd be guarded by his people when with him. The only time she might have needed separate security as H's vistiing girlfriend, would be if she went out on her own in London or the like. Possibly H was told then "Sorry but if she's here visiting you, she wont get security adn if you want her to have a bodygard in London, you'll have to pay for it yourself". THAT Would make sense, but why say "she'll have to go on working as an actress"?
Old 03-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think that Harry was clealry anxious about money, and scared that he'd be living on less.
I agree he was anxious about it because I doubt Harry looks at the larger picture when making decisions.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I think if Harry was really cognizant of his financial situation, we wouldn't have seen them buying such an expensive home in such an exclusive area. My thinking is that, all his life, he's never had to worry about payments on things or budgeting to make ends meet and never had to really scrounge around in the couch for spare change to buy a 1/2 gallon of milk. Everything he's ever needed was right there for him and he's had his own security detail since he can remember and probably thought that living in the "real" world, those things would always be there for him.

I can see Charles saying to him "Harry, *I* don't even own a home worth that much money and have to pay for its upkeep. Your grandmother once made me go back outside to find a dog leash I'd lost because money doesn't grow on trees."

I think its going to be eye opening for Harry living in the "real" world with payments coming due, taxes to be paid, employees to be paid and sustaining a lifestyle that he took so much for granted all his life.

One thing too. With the moaning and groaning about Charles cutting him off and being "shocked" that he's not getting public funding for around the clock security anymore, it's a better reflection on the BRF, itself, for not allowing Harry to be a "scrounger" and a "sponge" off the taxpayer dime that we've heard so much. I think the majority of the people would think if he wanted out, that out means *out* and standing on his own two feet as a responsible adult.

I wish them luck that all goes well. I think they're going to need it.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think if Harry was really cognizant of his financial situation, we wouldn't have seen them buying such an expensive home in such an exclusive area.
I can see Charles saying to him "Harry, *I* don't even own a home worth that much money and have to pay for its upkeep. Your grandmother once made me go back outside to find a dog leash I'd lost because money doesn't grow on trees."

I think its going to be eye opening for Harry living in the "real" world with payments coming due, taxes to be paid, employees to be paid and sustaining a lifestyle that he took so much for granted all his life.

I wish them luck that all goes well. I think they're going to need it.
If he was asking about money during the time he and Meg were working royals, then he must have had some anxieties. Possibly she raised the issue with him and he raised it with Charles.. who probably said that while he'd always have enough to live on, he wouldn't have the same as William and he might have to depend on Will as King to help him out.
Bbut then against that, it seems like when Harry LEFT royal life, he seems to have thought that Charles would still have a boundless stream of money which he would let him have. So why worry a couple of years ago, and then walk out on royal life, STILL thinking that money does grown on trees and that his father had the ability and obligation to pour money into Harry's coffers? I suppose he just thinks that Charles has alwasy paid for him and that's what he's alwasy going to do..
Old 03-31-2021, 12:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I thought I had read somewhere that the queen had offered them a low key start and introduction to royal life allowing Meghan to continue her acting if she wished.
Why is Harry moaning anyway he was the one chatting up the film executive for voice over work.
I just find it hard to believe that Meghan could have continued working as an actress if she had been offered a "slow start" as a working royal. It would lead to too much controversy.. if she did a political acting role, or a lot of sex scenes.. or just if she got jobs and it was said that she only got them because she was a royal.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
[...]

Harry, though, was never expected to live and flourish in the "real" world at all. It pretty much was assumed that he'd follow the path that was set out for him since birth. He was born to live, eat, sleep and serve the people as a senior working royal for the "Firm". Harry getting married and then sailing off into the sunset for the sunny California climate was just about as unpredictable as the abdication of Edward VIII. Harry didn't need to learn to budget. Harry didn't need to learn how to earn money or prepare for any other kind of a career except perhaps for a military one.

This is something no one really saw coming from Harry until they were on the cusp of saying "sayonara, adios, gute nacht and catch ya on the flip side". I don't think even Harry and Meghan really thought out all the ins and outs of what *might* happen financially. It was kind of like dropping the bomb on Tokyo. No one realized what the damage from radiation would be until after the bomb was detonated.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

According to the Prince of Wales website - In 2020, Harry, William and their wives received a total of 5.6 million pounds ($7.7 million ) and in 2019, they received 5.05 million pounds ($7 million). In 2018, before Harry's marriage, they received a little less than 5 million pounds, so it doesn't seem to have gone up much - unless Charles started using his personal funds.
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/ann...ture-and-staff

ETA: I meant to say that between 2018 and 2019, there wasn't a large increase associated with Harry's marriage. There was a 10% increase between 2019 and 2020, which was probably due to splitting up the foundation.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Oh good grief. Now Harry and Meghanís representatives have issued a statement to let everyone know that he didnít get any money from the Queen Motherís estate. My goodness, do they really have nothing else to do?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-markle-latest
Old 03-31-2021, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
If the former, itís a hateful thing to have said; but the latter is almost as bad, because that was predicting doom for a marriage which had not yet occurred.
I don't think it's hateful to raise doubts, although it's possibly not very tactful. Before the Queen married Prince Philip, a lot of doubts were raised about whether or not Philip would fit in. I don't think it's that unusual for close friends and relatives to say, politely, are you sure this is going to work out, if the couple are from different cultures or religions, or there's a big age gap, or if the couple seem to have very different views and interests. That doesn't mean that things won't work out - they certainly have for the Queen and Prince Philip - but I don't think it's unreasonable for a concerned loved one to ask the question.

If someone had pointed out that Charles and Diana had nothing in common and that maybe they weren't suited, maybe they'd have thought a bit harder. Being different works for some couples, but it doesn't for others.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Oh good grief. Now Harry and Meghanís representatives have issued a statement to let everyone know that he didnít get any money from the Queen Motherís estate. My goodness, do they really have nothing else to do?

I never really fully got the whole: she set up trusts for her great grandchildren. I mean in total she had 12. I dont think 3 had been born when she died. How would that be fair.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't think it's hateful to raise doubts, although it's possibly not very tactful. Before the Queen married Prince Philip, a lot of doubts were raised about whether or not Philip would fit in. I don't think it's that unusual for close friends and relatives to say, politely, are you sure this is going to work out, if the couple are from different cultures or religions, or there's a big age gap, or if the couple seem to have very different views and interests. That doesn't mean that things won't work out - they certainly have for the Queen and Prince Philip - but I don't think it's unreasonable for a concerned loved one to ask the question.

If someone had pointed out that Charles and Diana had nothing in common and that maybe they weren't suited, maybe they'd have thought a bit harder. Being different works for some couples, but it doesn't for others.
We also know William advised not rushing anything as well. Which was advice that he himself had followed very carefully and got sold out by his brother for his troubles. It's completely understandable that various members might be worried about two very different ways of life and moving very fast even if the person in the relationship very often doesn't want to hear it.

[...]

RE: Harry's rep clarifying to Forbes that he didn't receive any of his Great Grandmother's estate. Really? That's where we're at now? Is it possible it's technically still held in trust that he can't easily access? It's a little pathetic to be saying this. "No Great Gran didn't leave me 14 million but I still had my mother's millions and Daddy was paying for me up to last year!" But I have to clarify I don't have as much as everyone thought I did. So it's totally fair to complain about not having any money. But I still bought a 16 bathroom mansion in the most expensive place in California. That Pa might have helped buy. They bought the house before the Netflix deal was announced.

Is this an April Fools satire? I know there was talk that she died in debt so didn't leave cash but other assets. Even assuming he didn't get anything probably Peter, Zara, Bea, Eugenie, the Chattos, A-Js etc (Louise and James weren't born) probably didn't get anything either and haven't complained about it publicly whilst also saying they wanted to be "financially independent".
Old 03-31-2021, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I never really fully got the whole: she set up trusts for her great grandchildren. I mean in total she had 12. I dont think 3 had been born when she died. How would that be fair.
I have no idea. I just think itís ridiculous that theyíre so concerned with the gossip floating around message boards abs social media that they have to go out of their way to issue a statement to the whole world that says he did t get anything from the Queen Mother. I mean, goodness, are they really that concerned with the fact checking happening after their Oprah train wreck? If so then Iíd have thought theyíd have tried to be more truthful to begin with rather than having to play defense now.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

This article is about Margaret and Diana, but hereís a thought-provoking quote:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...-book-excerpt/

Regarding Diana:

ďThe Queen invited newspaper editors to Buckingham Palace and politely asked them to give a modicum of privacy to the newest member of Ďthe Firm.íĒ

Does anyone know if she did something similar for Meghan?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-31-2021, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...-book-excerpt/

Regarding Diana:

“The Queen invited newspaper editors to Buckingham Palace and politely asked them to give a modicum of privacy to the newest member of ‘the Firm.’”

Does anyone know if she did something similar for Meghan?

No she did not because in all honesty, it didn't really help the situation with the press for Diana. I believe that because of the lack of response from the editors, that she chose not to do it for Sarah Ferguson, Timothy Laurence, Sophie Rhys-Jones, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Autumn Kelly, Catherine Middleton, Mike Tindall, Jack Brooksbank or Edo Mapelli-Mozzi either.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post

Why?? No one cares IMO. No one needs to know either.

Do they just want to be in the news that badly? Or- is this a way of complaining about somehow being cash poor since he didnít inherit from the QM.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
No she did not because in all honesty, it didn't really help the situation with the press for Diana. I believe that because of the lack of response from the editors, that she chose not to do it for Sarah Ferguson, Timothy Laurence, Sophie Rhys-Jones, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Autumn Kelly, Catherine Middleton, Mike Tindall, Jack Brooksbank or Edo Mapelli-Mozzi either.
Yes quite.

Camilla Tominey says in her "Harry, Meghan and Me" article that:

Quote:
The royal press pack is the group of dedicated writers who cover all the official engagements and tours on a rota system, in exchange for not bothering the royals as they go about their private business. It was a shame this ragtag bunch, of which I am an associate member, was never personally introduced to Meghan when the couple got engaged in November 2017.

I still have fond memories of a then Kate Middleton, upon her engagement to Prince William in November 2010, showing me her huge sapphire and diamond ring following a press conference at St Jamesís Palace with the words, ĎIt was Williamís motherís so it is very special.í

I replied that she might want to consider buying Ďone of those expanding accordion style file holdersí to organise all her wedding paperwork. (Reader, I had given birth to my second child less than four months earlier and was still lactating.)

Not meeting Meghan did not stop royal commentators like me writing reams about her being Ďa breath of fresh airí and telling practically every TV show I appeared on that she was the Ďbest thing to have happened to the Royal Family in yearsí
It seems to have been a Sussex choice for the press not to meet Meghan but it didn't stop positive articles being written and wouldn't have stopped negative ones being written.

If the DM can track down Edoardo's ex fiancťe's parents to ask them for a story nothing was going to stop them writing about Meghan's life but to start with a lot of it was positive.

Closed Thread