The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Ranvir Singh, GMB presenter also voiced her opinions and weigh into the Oprah's interview. She was criticising the British Royal Family not just as an institution, but also as a family. I'm sure many posters here would abhorred Ranvir Singh's views, but would not try to get her sacked from ITV. Both Piers Morgan, Alex Beresford and Ranvir Singh have the right to voice their opinions, because it's freedom of speech whether you like it or not.
All of them absolutely have the right to exercise their freedom of speech. But when they're doing it on an ITV programme – and might I just add that Piers Morgan has been allowed to exercise his idea of freedom of speech on GMB for a very long time – it's reflecting back upon the network. It's not an attack on free speech for ITV to not want to be associated with and/or held accountable for their views. It's not a human right to be able to exercise your freedom of speech on an ITV programme – or any other network or newspaper you're employed by for that matter

Old 03-28-2021, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Piers wasn't fired. He walked away. No one was stopping him from voicing his opinion on his show, his twitter or his column in a major paper. His freedom of speech is well heard. Literally everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
All of them absolutely have the right to exercise their freedom of speech. But when they're doing it on an ITV programme – and might I just add that Piers Morgan has been allowed to exercise his idea of freedom of speech on GMB for a very long time – it's reflecting back upon the network. It's not an attack on free speech for ITV to not want to be associated with and/or held accountable for their views. It's not a human right to be able to exercise your freedom of speech on an ITV programme – or any other network or newspaper you're employed by for that matter
Meghan herself made a complaint to OfCom which in some way or another influence ITV's decision not convincing Piers Morgan to come back. The ratings for GMB drops after Piers Morgan left, I guess he is having the last laugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...orning-britain
https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/18/gmbs-...rama-14267093/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14451563...s-morgan-quit/

The viewers like drama and controversy that Piers generated, regardless of his opinions. I recently was turned off by him, not just his views but also his aggressive interview style. Initially, I was quite torn and divided on this situation when the outrage happened until Ian Murray's resignation. (Check out Mahyar Tousi, a British political Youtuber/commentator who articulated the similar opinions better than I do )

Old 03-28-2021, 10:30 PM
Courtier

If this is true, and it is easily verifiable, I don’t know if they failed to do basic research on an important hire or if they want to peddle this conspiracy theory:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
Old 03-28-2021, 10:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
If this is true, and it is easily verifiable, I don’t know if they failed to do basic research on an important hire or if they want to peddle this conspiracy theory:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
You proposed an either/or scenario. There could be others. Perhaps they did the research, it did not matter to them, and has nothing to do with them wanting
to peddle a conspiracy theory.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Meghan herself made a complaint to OfCom which in some way or another influence ITV's decision not convincing Piers Morgan to come back. The ratings for GMB drops after Piers Morgan left, I guess he is having the last laugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...orning-britain
https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/18/gmbs-...rama-14267093/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14451563...s-morgan-quit/

The viewers like drama and controversy that Piers generated, regardless of his opinions. I recently was turned off by him, not just his views but also his aggressive interview style. Initially, I was quite torn and divided on this situation when the outrage happened until Ian Murray's resignation. (Check out Mahyar Tousi, a British political Youtuber/commentator who articulated the similar opinions better than I do )
I don't see what difference any of this makes? Baseline is that at no point have either Morgan or Murray's freedom of speech been violated. Morgan is perfectly free to express himself as he wishes (and evidently he still does), he's just been asked not to do so through the platform his GMB job gave him.

Murray wasn't silenced either. He was head of an industry body. After his dismissal of the Sussex claims about the British press, a vast amount of members of the organisations Murray was representing made it clear that his comments aren't representative of their views. So again, Murray is free to express himself, he's just been encouraged not to do so while signing his comments off as chief executive of the SoE.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:40 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know anything about British tv regulation, so I mean this as a sincere question. Was the complaint Meghan filed addressed directly to the tv station, along the lines of "I think you should fire Morgan because he's awful"? Or was it addressed to a regulatory authority, saying "You should punish this station because what Morgan said violated a rule"? If the latter, could the station have actually been punished for what Morgan said? If that's the case, then I think there are free speech concerns here. Though Meghan didn't make the rules, so it's not really her doing.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

Rod Liddle (Social Democratic Party, formerly from Labour Party, now an associate editor of The Spectator) has written a scathing opinion column on the Sunday Times about Harry's statement on BetterUp. Liddle also did criticise other Royal Family members for getting into admitted Oxbridge without exceptional grades.

Why thank you, Harry, for confirming that birth beats brains in America too
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...-too-xbwc6mhn8

Archive link to the full article: https://archive.vn/olzFs#selection-911.0-963.254
Old 03-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Perhaps part of the issue is that statement Harry issued trying to protect Meghan while they were dating. While admirable and understandable, it's not only not the style of the Firm, but William didn't put one out for Catherine even with a much longer period of harassment and intrusion.
Actually it is said he sent such a letter to the press.

‘Prince William is very unhappy at the paparazzi harassment of his girlfriend,’ read the statement on behalf of William. ‘He wants, more than anything, for it to stop. Miss Middleton should, like any other private individual, be able to go about her everyday business without this kind of intrusion.’
The statement concluded: ‘The situation is proving unbearable for all those concerned.’
Taken from this article https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/c...ddleton-709707
Old 03-29-2021, 08:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
So now, just because Meghan was unsufferably unkind in her own judgment, we should be so, too? I don't see that. What I think is that private things should stay behind private doors, that staff who feels their treatment is not thanked enough should go to work elsewhere but not sell their story to the gossip rags, that the media should report and not make up new stories from some breadcrumbs of information they are told by "sources" but be open about where their stories come from. I want a healthy and truthful environment for me as the reader and for the Royals as human beings in an ackward position.
And I feel that the healthy and truthful environment should start with those who are protected by the NDAs. The staff, who, by the way, didn't feel their treatment wasn't thanked enough but felt actually bullied by Meghan, didn't sell their story to the gossip rags but Meghan joyfully gossiped about these NDa-bound people with her friends, as confirmed by both Scobie and Janina.
No one should expect the staff to just move and take it nobly while Meghan keeps talking about them. And as far as I can see, they haven't actually talked. Meghan can't keep silent and then turns around and cries that she's a victim.
Meghan is responsible for providing a healthy and truthful environment as well. And you know, from what I've seen, when the atmosphere in a working team keeps souring, it's usually due to the boss.
The staff actually did what you suggested they should. The story just kept repeating with other staff.
What do you suggest Meghan should be doing? In this post, you only postulated what others should be doing but they are actually doing it. It wasn't their fault that the BP closed ranks around HRH when they complained formally.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
So now, just because Meghan was unsufferably unkind in her own judgment, we should be so, too? I don't see that. What I think is that private things should stay behind private doors, that staff who feels their treatment is not thanked enough should go to work elsewhere but not sell their story to the gossip rags, that the media should report and not make up new stories from some breadcrumbs of information they are told by "sources" but be open about where their stories come from. I want a healthy and truthful environment for me as the reader and for the Royals as human beings in an ackward position.
You think that BP has commissioned a formal third party investigation because one or two people were upset that Meghan didn’t thank them enough?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
You think that BP has commissioned a formal third party investigation because one or two people were upset that Meghan didn’t thank them enough?
For whatever reasons, BP took allegations seriously enough to warrant an investigation by a third party to get to the root of things. Its being responsible and protecting people on all levels that work or employ at BP. It could be one or two people or a whole lot of different things that have piled up that we don't know about. The main thing is that it is being investigated. I don't believe its solely because of Meghan but that Meghan does play a part in bringing it to light.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For whatever reasons, BP took allegations seriously enough to warrant an investigation by a third party to get to the root of things. Its being responsible and protecting people on all levels that work or employ at BP. It could be one or two people or a whole lot of different things that have piled up that we don't know about. The main thing is that it is being investigated. I don't believe its solely because of Meghan but that Meghan does play a part in bringing it to light.

Osipi, you are the voice of reason in this discussion.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Good post Osipi and like you I am pleased to see that the investigation is going forward. As Jason Knauf pointed out in his email to the head of BP HR, it was not clear to him and other palace staff how to report allegations of bullying when it involved the "principal" aka member of the BRF. I would hope that after the investigation that the recommendations will outline how staff are to proceed in the future when and if they encounter this behavior in the future.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Considering Harry had never met him before the wedding, and still hasnt,I do not think I am alone in thinking there was something going on there well before the press photographs. It is convenient for Meghan to now blame the press for her break with her father.
I think you're probably right. To be fair, Harry and Meghan didn't spend all that much time together before the wedding, either. Meghan was in Canada and Harry was in the UK, and they flew back and forth to visit a lot before Meghan moved to the UK. Thomas lived in Mexico, and probably didn't have an unlimited travel budget - he couldn't just fly up to Canada for a weekend to meet Harry when Harry was visiting Meghan. But Harry could certainly have made the trip to meet Thomas if all three were in agreement that he should. Of course, the press would have descended on Thomas's neighborhood in a way that the other residents probably wouldn't have appreciated, so maybe they all agreed that it just wasn't worth it. Still, I agree with you that Harry and Markle could have met several times and built a relationship before the wedding if they'd both wanted to, and Meghan had wanted them to. He could have flown to the UK after Meghan moved there and stayed at the palace for a while, where the media wouldn't be able to bother him.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:39 PM
Courtier

I thought at the time they should have flown both doria and Thomas to England and given them somewhere to stay away from the paps. They could have avoided the whole mess.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

At the time I was sympathetic to the difficulties of flying down to Mexico to visit Thomas and the complete uproar that it would have generated if it had been found out pre engagement. But now I think they should have tried to meet. We know they can get around without being seen if they want. Maybe things could have avoided getting this bad on the father front if any of the people involved had actually met up to talk pre wedding.

This doesn't excuse Thomas's behaviour either. We know that Harry did try to arrange for help getting to the UK at one point and he didn't have to call TMZ all the time the week before the wedding. I do think there were family difficulties before all this happened and the press just made it worse.

It's just a shame that the only person that the Sussexes appear to be speaking to out of both their families is Doria. That's a hell of a lot of people cut out.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

They had plenty of time to visit him between the engagement and the wedding, or to arrange for him to fly to London, but they didn't. It's quite unusual for anyone to get married without meeting their partner's parents first, unless they're already on bad terms.

OK, he should never have taken money from the paparazzi, but, if I remember rightly, the original pictures were only of him being measured for a suit, doing a bit of jogging, and reading a book about Britain. It's not like he blabbed a load of personal info, or sold photos of Meghan. Was it really worth falling out about?
Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
They had plenty of time to visit him between the engagement and the wedding, or to arrange for him to fly to London, but they didn't. It's quite unusual for anyone to get married without meeting their partner's parents first, unless they're already on bad terms.

OK, he should never have taken money from the paparazzi, but, if I remember rightly, the original pictures were only of him being measured for a suit, doing a bit of jogging, and reading a book about Britain. It's not like he blabbed a load of personal info, or sold photos of Meghan. Was it really worth falling out about?
I don't think the photos caused the falling out - Meghan still wanted him to walk her down the aisle. He was not disinvited, he choose not to attend the wedding. I think it was subsequent interactions with the media that started the falling out.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Gentry

I don't condone what Thomas has done in any way, but I do realize that if I suddenly became one of the most famous women in the world my family would struggle. Some would want to make some quick money, and others would deeply resent their personal life choices becoming tabloid fodder. It wouldn't be pretty.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Secretly flying to San Diego to meet Thomas was likely very doable (he's just over the border, and goes to California for healthcare; the Sussexes have managed to take vacations without tipping off the media in advance).

But I don't think Harry and Meghan could have ever imagined how it would all unravel so quickly.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

It's amazing how it's all unravelled. Harry used to be so close to William and Kate, and to his father. I don't get the impression that he has much contact with his old friends any more, either. And you can see from old pictures and videos that Thomas and Meghan were genuinely close at one time.

Closed Thread