The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Majesty

I don’t know about ‘PR spin’, Omar tweeted about that donation on his Twitter Page just as he also announces donations and charity projects from KP, BP etc. Also, none of the tabloids had printed anything about the donation, which is why I posted Scobie’s Tweet. It’s hardly a huge PR exercise if a donation is first announced by a Tweet via one royal reporter out of a dozen.

[...]

Old 03-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The post said "Meghan has donated £10K" I would take that to mean that Meghan had given £10k of her own money.....
This is what I took "Meghan has donated £10K" to mean. I thought, 'That's generous of her'. And now I learn it wasn't from her at all, but a donation from a pool of funds that seems to have been received from others to be donated for charitable purposes. A very different kettle of fish and misleading.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
This is what I took "Meghan has donated £10K" to mean. I thought, 'That's generous of her'. And now I learn it wasn't from her at all, but a donation from a pool of funds that seems to have been received from others to be donated for charitable purposes. A very different kettle of fish and misleading.
I agree. It is certainly misleading, and it becomes really tiresome where everything becomes about Meghan.
The point is, the donation has come from somebody else, which was directed elsewhere by Meghan. It was never hers to donate in the first place.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Majesty

The donation was from the profits of Together, the Hubb cookbook which was Meghan’s project with the Hubb ladies. She authorised the donation, via the Royal Foundation because it had been her project. And if she hadn’t suggested the cookbook to those women and been involved with it from the beginning, they would have been no money to donate anywhere to any charity in the first place.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I dont think so..not for a long time. Harry's admitted that his father stopped taking his calls a while ago. Considering that he has been very indulgent towards his son, I think that shows how angry and upset he is and how he feels that its not possible to talk sensibly to H. And now, Harry has humiliated him, insinuated that he or SOME member of his family, is a racist, that he wants to deprive his grandson of security... etc etc. I think it is very clear that the RF are furious and feel they can't trust H.. and they'll be very wary with him from now on.
I agree, especially since Gayle King reported on their conversation. Rebuilding trust will take a long time IMO
Old 03-25-2021, 07:42 PM
Majesty

As distinct from Charles own conversations with Jonathon Dimbleby in a book in which he blasted his own parents.

And how do we know that since Gayle King spoke that Harry and Charles’s haven’t spoken? We know next to nothing about contact between members of the Royal Family. And if we take Harry’s own words about he and his grandmother they certainly have an excellent relationship. So HM certainly trusts her grandson. As seen with Charles, familial relationships go up and down over the years.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I agree. It is certainly misleading, and it becomes really tiresome where everything becomes about Meghan.
The point is, the donation has come from somebody else, which was directed elsewhere by Meghan. It was never hers to donate in the first place.
After posting I hunted around Twitter for the source article and found it. The Harper's Bazaar article makes it clear that the money came from the Royal Foundation and goes on, "Her donation uses additional proceeds raised from her popular recipe book, Together: Our Community Cookbook, which she published in 2018 to benefit Hubb Community Kitchen".

I think it would be a very good idea if Meghan started tightening things up a bit. Everything she says and does seems to be rather loose, for want of a better word, which gives rise to ambiguity when precision and clarity is needed. Just look at all the dozens of pages of discussion that were generated by that Oprah interview, mainly because of her lack attention to detail about very important matters, which has had people questioning what she meant. Or maybe that was the intent, to keep her name in the news. I don't pretend to know, but I do think she needs better advice, and staff who can make sure the information that is released about them is accurate and unambiguous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As distinct from Charles own conversations with Jonathon Dimbleby in a book in which he blasted his own parents.

And how do we know that since Gayle King spoke that Harry and Charles’s haven’t spoken? We know next to nothing about contact between members of the Royal Family. And if we take Harry’s own words about he and his grandmother they certainly have an excellent relationship. So HM certainly trusts her grandson. As seen with Charles, familial relationships go up and down over the years.
Didn't Harry state in the Oprah interview that he and his father had started talking again?
Old 03-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think they can do so for a time.. but what If Harry's not very good at this being a face thing? What if he indiscreetly says something critical about his new employer? What if people DO start to question some fo the things that were said in the interview and begin to see him in a new light and he's less popular. Even if it is not exaclty hard work, Harry is new to having some job/commitment where he doesn't have staff minding him and making him appear to the best light. He may find endless re takes of a TV appearance tiresome and be told "suck it up and do it" and now he will have to..
I thoguht that he was basiclaly not bright but a good tempered guy.. now I can see the anger and volatilty adn hostility that simmer beneath...
That’s what happens when you make arch enemies out of the tabloids. They’re are not going to rest until they destroy any sympathy and likability that H&M have, which can have nothing but bad consequences for their popularity
Old 03-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Thank you for that. So, as the article makes clear, it was Meghan’s donation. From the additional proceeds from ‘Together’ the community cookbook that was very much her project.

The Royal Foundation kept the Sussex projects money under their umbrella when the Sussexes left GB as they had not able to use Sussex Royal as a Foundation and Archewell had not yet been created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Didn't Harry state in the Oprah interview that he and his father had started talking again?
Yes, but then Gayle came out after the interview had aired and said calls between Harry and his father and brother hadn’t been ‘productive’.
That doesn’t mean of course that they aren’t speaking to each other as of now.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
There is a difference between a personal donation by the couple and a donation from a charitable enterprise (whether a book with profits going to charity or a foundation). It is still a good cause to donate to and a good thing to do, but a book who's profit has to go to charity giving charity money is not the same as someone giving their own money. But, again, a good thing for a good cause. TBF, the tweet from Omid and the article do make it sound at first as it is from Meghan personally until you read further.

My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Grace Kelly’s son weighing in on the interview Diana’s son and his wife gave

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...kle-interview/
Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
That’s what happens when you make arch enemies out of the tabloids. They’re are not going to rest until they destroy any sympathy and likability that H&M have, which can have nothing but bad consequences for their popularity
Except the tabloids made Meghan their enemy – or their favourite punching bag – way before the Sussexes started hitting back.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Excellent, wise, and measured comments from HSH Prince Albert. But I do wish journalists would STOP asking heads of State and governments to weigh in on what is essentially a personal family matter for the British Royal family.

[...]

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-25-2021, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Excellent, wise, and measured comments from HSH Prince Albert. But I do wish journalists would STOP asking heads of State and governments to weigh in on what is essentially a personal family matter for the British Royal family.

[...]

Agree that it was a wise response and that it is not appropriate for journalists to ask another HoS and Head of Government for their opinion on the interview. I'm a bit surprised that he just didn't offer a simple message stating that it was a private family matter that he couldn't comment upon.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It sounds to me that journalists (?) are trying to bleed this interview and its repercussions until it can bleed no more.

As much as I do believe that the interview was a very bad mistake to make and all the grievances should have remained within the family itself, I also believe that the interview should not overshadow each and ever move the Sussexes make going forward.

The donation to Nottingham for example. That is part and parcel of what the Sussexes plans are going into the future. They did say that they had no intention of giving up their UK incentives and personal charities. They probably are restricted too by what they can and can't do with the remaining funds that were leftover from their incentives with the Royal Foundation. I have no reason to believe that they'd not take any kind of action that wasn't legal and above board.

It's a shame though that the interview can and does create questions about motive but I can't think that *everything* they do going forward is tainted by ulterior motives.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

[...]
That's how the big royal family around the world show their loyalty to HM&family (without H&M if course). ;-)
Even royals who are more or less mostly out of the spotlight did comment like the archduke of austria.
It's a way to comment for those who cannot not comment (the BRF).
So they might not all have close bonds, they do stand together when needed!

And it can be a signal to the Sussex, too. I doubt there will be many invitations for the couple in the future, but this is a human reaction not specifically royal.
People intend to stay out of trouble of others and prefer to strengthen who they consider to earn more respect than the "fallen".
Old 03-26-2021, 08:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Except the tabloids made Meghan their enemy – or their favourite punching bag – way before the Sussexes started hitting back.
this is the reality of joining a high profile family such as the RF. i hear this over and over, as if camilla and kate didn't get abuse when they joined the royal family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Agree that it was a wise response and that it is not appropriate for journalists to ask another HoS and Head of Government for their opinion on the interview. I'm a bit surprised that he just didn't offer a simple message stating that it was a private family matter that he couldn't comment upon.
i am surprised too, but what albert said wasn't controversial. one can say is basic common sense - private matters should be dealt in private.

michelle obama also was recently asked about the interview and also commented. she had a very classy reply saying that 'public service is about the people we serve, not about us' which i thought was also quite spot on.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Prince Albert was very moderate in his comments. He just said what a lot of people are saying.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

How the times have changed. There was a time when the Grimaldi were not considered equal by the BrF...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

This is what journalists do. Every time the Prime Minister or another minister gives a Covid briefing, you can guarantee that they'll be asked a load of questions about things which have nothing whatsoever to do with Covid. And, of course, it would make a great headline if someone high profile came down heavily on one side (seeing as Harry and Meghan have chosen to make this seem like a war) or the other. I thought Prince Albert's comments were very moderate and very sensible.

Closed Thread