The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every celebrity has people interested in them, and some of the fans take things really far; i follow a certain celeb (not Kardashian-famous, but known in certain music circles) and recently stumbled on a fansite for that person, which i started to read but was shocked to find out they don't just talk about the celeb, but also follow their family on social media, friends of their family, people who live in the same street where the celeb lives and, until the celeb checked the privacy settings on their social media, also followed them via geotagging to where they were travelling..and check on the people they knew if they had travelled to the same place

all to get a complete picture of what the celeb is doing and who they hang out with.

with 'fans' like these i can only applaud celebs like H&M trying not to show their young children, who knows what a 'fan' might do..

I think every celebrity has people interested in them, and some of the fans take things really far; i follow a certain celeb (not Kardashian-famous, but known in certain music circles) and recently stumbled on a fansite for that person, which i started to read but was shocked to find out they don't just talk about the celeb, but also follow their family on social media, friends of their family, people who live in the same street where the celeb lives and, until the celeb checked the privacy settings on their social media, also followed them via geotagging to where they were travelling..and check on the people they knew if they had travelled to the same place

all to get a complete picture of what the celeb is doing and who they hang out with.

with 'fans' like these i can only applaud celebs like H&M trying not to show their young children, who knows what a 'fan' might do..

Oh Wow... I did not know that some celebrities' fans took that far!!! I thought direct message or DM is intimate/private enough (almost invading personal space, given that you could also tagged celebrities).

For these consequences and other celebrity stalking video-taking, it is inevitable that celebrities including Harry & Meghan are avoiding to put clear photograph of their children's face on social media. Katherine Jenkins put a large emoji over her children face on instagram. Boris Johnson's newborn son, Wilfred's face was never shown on both Carrie Symonds and Boris' social media account (i.e. Wilfred was looking away from the camera). Their Christmas card was Dilyn (Jack Russell Cross) wearing a Christmas tinsel wreath. Perhaps in the future, Harry & Meghan's dogs will be main subjects (being photographed) of their Christmas cards.

And then on the opposite spectrum, there are celebrities whose children under aged 12 have social media accounts, despite age restriction at 13 :eek: (I'm guessing their celebrity parents set up the children's account)

:previous: it kind of shocked me (and i'm not easily shocked); i mean ofcourse loads of fans respond to celebs themselves on social media (often cringy stuff in itself), but that they actually know and try to contact entire personal social circles of celebs...would not have thought that happened.

ofcourse if celebs choose to have their private life on display that's fine, that's their choice, but like i said, i totally get that some want to keep a clear line between their public and their personal life.

For reigning royals the added difficulty is that by default their children have a semi-public life too, like in the BRF George will at some point be king, so it's understandable that there is an interest from the public in him and his siblings in that aspect, but it's good that that too is at the moment limited to specific photo ops imo

That may be so, but if the Sussexes were regarded by SM and the public in English-speaking countries at least, as conventional, stolid, dull and uninteresting, they wouldn't be seen by the media as newsworthy would they, and they are. And that is also a fact.

They divide opinion & have said/done controversial things so yes they do generate media interest. It makes money for the media & authors. It's a cash cow like Diana was. Or should that be click bait. And it's as cynical.

And is the relationship symbiotic?

At the same time polling indicates that there is little interest in their netflix/spotify work in the UK. Is there polling for other countries on this?

Last edited:
I always laugh when people say this. Do people ever grow tire of wishing this desperately :lol:

No one would care about Harry's wedding, he wasnt heir. No one would care about his baby, he wasnt heir. [.....]

The public don't care who is closest to the throne. They care about who is interesting to watch. And to talk about. Harry and Meghan's 'drama' makes Archie all the more interesting (not to mention being the bi-racial prince).

I don't think it's a question of downplaying the boy's importance it's just an acknowledgment of the reality of his position in the line of succession (similar to Beatrice in being the child of a second son) & the fact that day to day most people in the UK have no interest in royalty. Maybe North Americans are greatly interested? Is there some polling data about this?

There isn't the same amount of interest in royal weddings as there was in the past. Society & attitudes have moved on. That's not to minimise the interest in the 2011 & 2018 weddings it's just what it is.

Archie isn't a prince of course. For the moment at least. And he would probably be better off not being one regardless of the fact that we have enough of them already. We don't really need any more.

Last edited:
That's the thing, the only ones who are deeply interested in seeing him are their fans.
I have no interest in seeing the kid (except wish him the best of luck in life) but I think they are actually trying to drum up interest by playing with fire as they play these silly games that they do. either release a proper picture or don't at all- it's quite tiring to be honest.

And I don't think Archie is at any risk, they have security, let's be real here. If they are that worried about his security than, like I said above, they need to stop playing coy and leave him out of their professional life completely, and that includes adding him to their christmas card to their charities, not naming their charity after him and so on. -multiple celebrities manage to separate their home life from their work life.

Most of the people I see screaming (sort of) for his photo are the same ones saying he doesn't exist in the first place, or that he was born to a surrogate and Harry's sterile (they're not out on this yet). They are not the Sussex fans, they are the detractors. Most people who support the Sussexes tend to understand the lack of photos.

That's the thing, the only ones who are deeply interested in seeing him are their fans.
I have no interest in seeing the kid (except wish him the best of luck in life) but I think they are actually trying to drum up interest by playing with fire as they play these silly games that they do. either release a proper picture or don't at all- it's quite tiring to be honest.

And I don't think Archie is at any risk, they have security, let's be real here. If they are that worried about his security than, like I said above, they need to stop playing coy and leave him out of their professional life completely, and that includes adding him to their christmas card to their charities, not naming their charity after him and so on. -multiple celebrities manage to separate their home life from their work life.

I agree with most of this. Many celebs are able to keep their kids out of the spotlight, especially their babies--if they want to. As I have said before, the "public" don't need to see Archie. So what if fans/nonfans complain? Why do the royals release their cards with pictures of their families? It's about being seen in the right light; royals need to be "seen"--it's part of the job. It's not part of M and H's job, so those who care about these things shouldn't expect a card. Even though this one wasn't really "released", I strongly suspect that permission to share was given.

H and M seem to be trying to make a difference. While we don't yet know how Archewell will be structured, we can hope that it is a force for good in the world.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone here is saying that the danger royal and celebrity children are exposed to is acceptable. Or at least, I hope not. We're saying there's a huge difference between being interested in a famous family than mobbing or harassing them.

I have been looking forward to seeing another photo of Archie. [...]

[...]

H and M seem to be trying to make a difference. While we don't yet know how Archewell will be structured, we can hope that it is a force for good in the world.

[...]

With this past year being a transition year and also with the effects of the pandemic, its been a year of ups and downs. Going into the future, I am thinking that once established, just about all of Harry and Meghan's public activities will be focused, centered and under the umbrella of Archewell. Once it is firmly established and operational, there'll be a more distinct line between their public and private lives.

JMO of course. ?

I am no fan of the Sussexes but the last thing I'd criticize them for would be their Christmas card design and to an even less extent, their decision to keep their child out of the limelight. I would actually applaud them if they choose to never show Archie's face, and we never know how he looks like until he's an adult and decides that for himself. Heck I want all kids faces to be kept out of the internet, how much more those born to public personalities and are thus exposed to greater risk. It's simply no one's business, and everyone should be able to choose, as an adult, on how they present themselves.

Most of the people I see screaming (sort of) for his photo are the same ones saying he doesn't exist in the first place, or that he was born to a surrogate and Harry's sterile (they're not out on this yet). They are not the Sussex fans, they are the detractors. Most people who support the Sussexes tend to understand the lack of photos.

There are crazies on both sides, I tend to ignore them (especially those who paddle conspiracy theories, I don't have patience for that). My comment was about the more level headed ones, and from those the ones who talk and write and seem to crave to see Archie have been fans of the couple.

I agree with most of this. Many celebs are able to keep their kids out of the spotlight, especially their babies--if they want to. As I have said before, the "public" don't need to see Archie. So what if fans/nonfans complain? Why do the royals release their cards with pictures of their families? It's about being seen in the right light; royals need to be "seen"--it's part of the job. It's not part of M and H's job, so those who care about these things shouldn't expect a card. Even though this one wasn't really "released", I strongly suspect that permission to share was given.

[...]

[...]

As far as i can see, the ones who say "Oh great we'll see a picture of Archie" and "hes so cute, I want to see pics of him" are fans of the couple..
But - Harry and Meghan more or less made it clear when he was born that they didn't regard him as part of the deal for being seen by the press.... that yes they were then public figures.. but he was a baby and he wasnt..

Please note that several posts have been edited. Please refrain from comparing H&M with other royals as previously requested at the start of the thread.

Also, how other people carry out charitable work is unrelated to H&M and so off-topic.

If covid restrictions continue I don't foresee The Sussexes coming back for any events, assuming they are allowed to happen. Meetings, if needed, can be done by Zoom etc.

LaRae

If covid restrictions continue I don't foresee The Sussexes coming back for any events, assuming they are allowed to happen. Meetings, if needed, can be done by Zoom etc.

LaRae

what events woudl they need to come back for? Apart from the unveiling of Diana's statue which is supposed to be next summer. They're gone.. THey are settled in the US.. no need for them to come back.

what events woudl they need to come back for? Apart from the unveiling of Diana's statue which is supposed to be next summer. They're gone.. THey are settled in the US.. no need for them to come back.

Charity events, family events etc, it was already said this year they planned to spend some time in the UK until covid.

They are still part of the family, they still have a residence there. Your idea of need is likely different than theirs.

LaRae

I believe that they'll want to be present for any of the private family events for Phillip's 100th birthday too. Also as Pranter pointed out, they will likely want to have in-person visits with their patronages/charities if possible.

I believe that they'll want to be present for any of the private family events for Phillip's 100th birthday too. Also as Pranter pointed out, they will likely want to have in-person visits with their patronages/charities if possible.

True If Philip has any private ceremonies. I think he'll want to ignore the whole thing and will only do some kind of brief public apparerance, if pushed.

There are crazies on both sides, I tend to ignore them (especially those who paddle conspiracy theories, I don't have patience for that). My comment was about the more level headed ones, and from those the ones who talk and write and seem to crave to see Archie have been fans of the couple.

I must admit most people I know who support the couple aren't really fans, they just seem to oppose the bullying, lying an conspiracy theories. They (I) would have liked to see a photo, but most of us can understand why the couple chose not to.

I must admit most people I know who support the couple aren't really fans, they just seem to oppose the bullying, lying an conspiracy theories. They (I) would have liked to see a photo, but most of us can understand why the couple chose not to.

so they have relatively few fans then, if many of the poeple who support them aren't really fans....

And obviously Harry would want to see his father and other family...

so they have relatively few fans then, if many of the poeple who support them aren't really fans....

I believe most fans are active on Twitter and Instagram, and I'm not. Besides, not having fans doesn't mean they have no supporters. These people might not call themselves "fans" (whatever the criteria are), but they do support the couple in their ventures. I think that's more important. Fans and detractors are two opposites of the same coint. The majority are either supporters or indifferent. I think that would the same for the Cambridges for instance.

I believe most fans are active on Twitter and Instagram, and I'm not. Besides, not having fans doesn't mean they have no supporters. These people might not call themselves "fans" (whatever the criteria are), but they do support the couple in their ventures. I think that's more important. Fans and detractors are two opposites of the same coint. The majority are either supporters or indifferent. I think that would the same for the Cambridges for instance.

Good points all around Elenath and I believe that would apply to not only the Sussexes and Cambridges but the majority of the royals that we are discussing on this site.

So people who have no idea about the monarchy, how it operates, or use critical thinking about the couple shenanigans, and therefore assume that any criticism about Meghan and Harry must be because of lies or racism or bullying.

Like we said, it is mostly their fans who are waiting for a picture of Archie, not those of us who are not.

But we knew this already.

I think the majority are indifferent, if you support something than you are a sort of a fan. whether you are an informed fan or not is another matter, and most of the people who support them seem to do so with a great deal of ignorance.

ETA: and a HARD pass on that podcast. Some guests I would love to listen to - in other capacities, others it's best of they and their over privileged (at times wacky) mouth can keep quiet.
And apperantly Archie makes a voice appearance, which.. literally is what have been talking about for the last couple of days, ie his privacy.

Last edited:
So people who have no idea about the monarchy, how it operates, or use critical thinking about the couple shenanigans, and therefore assume that any criticism about Meghan and Harry must be because of lies or racism or bullying.

Like we said, it is mostly their fans who are waiting for a picture of Archie, not those of us who are not.

But we knew this already.

I think the majority are indifferent, if you support something than you are a sort of a fan. whether you are an informed fan or not is another matter, and most of the people who support them seem to do so with a great deal of ignorance.

It's comments like these that had me stop coming to this forum. I never said this:
any criticism about Meghan and Harry must be because of lies or racism or bullying.
. This is just as black and white as
whether you are an informed fan or not is another matter, and most of the people who support them seem to do so with a great deal of ignorance.
Not to mention it is insulting and unnecessary. Most of the detractors I encounter seem to think the BRF is like a version of Game of Thrones.

This is the definition of a fan
A fan or fanatic, sometimes also termed aficionado or enthusiast, is a person who exhibits strong interest or admiration for something or somebody, such as a celebrity or a sport or a sports team, a genre, a politician, a book, a movie or an entertainer.
This not how I consider myself.

I tried coming back here, and I was never that active, but you know what...keep it.

Cringe of course but strangely not as bad as i expected it to be (my expectations were not particularly high though).
Still, i really don't see the point. The sole thing i can see is that it's now totally irrelevant from a royal perspective. That's just entertainement.
From that, after all, if this very very light hearted programm can find some followers and they have a good time, well good for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom