The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Harry said this, apparently.

How nice of him that he’s comfortable about the lies that portray his father as a villainous b*****d. I give up on him.

Prince Harry said “I’m way more comfortable with The Crown than I am seeing the stories written about my family or wife or myself”

It is curious that, in this interview, which was recorded before the Palace's announcement about Harry's patronages and appointments, the Duke says that he never meant to step down from public service, but rather to step back.

Does he seriously think that living full-time in California and working as a producer for Netflix and Spotify are compatible with keeping a public life role in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth?

They really seem delusional in their insistence that not much changed or will change because they will continue to live a life of service... (as Meghan signed up for that)

And 'mental health' almost seems to have become an excuse for any decision they made; and one that you are clearly not supposed to argue with.

I liked this interview. But I like James (I don't like Oprah) and I'm more interested in hearing what Harry has to say. I will say supposedly this interview was taped before the Queen took away the patronages.

They really seem delusional in their insistence that not much changed or will change because they will continue to live a life of service... (as Meghan signed up for that)

And 'mental health' almost seems to have become an excuse for any decision they made; and one that you are clearly not supposed to argue with.

IMO a life of service as a non royal would invovle quiet dedication to some kind of hands on job.. not being a Netflix producer.. and giving donations that you publicise to charities, by times....

How nice of him that he’s comfortable about the lies that portray his father as a villainous b*****d. I give up on him.

Yip, and he sounded happy for the series to carry on. He looked perfectly serious when he said he would like Damian Lewis to play him in future episodes but then The Crown is one of Netflix's biggest (if not it's biggest) shows and Netflix is one of his paymasters so I'm not surprised he's promoting it.

This interview was a promotion for Netflix.

I think that’s part of the problem in the UK for Harry...this interview (well, the army course part) would have been perfect to promote Invictus. Instead, the segment was a promotion of Harry and Meghan, and not any specific project...it seems like they’re gearing up to be recognized widely in the American media so they can then promote their Netflix documentaries and podcast. After Oprah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both on “Ellen” next.

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is dreading it too.

I think that’s part of the problem in the UK for Harry...this interview (well, the army course part) would have been perfect to promote Invictus. Instead, the segment was a promotion of Harry and Meghan, and not any specific project...it seems like they’re gearing up to be recognized widely in the American media so they can then promote their Netflix documentaries and podcast. After Oprah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or both on “Ellen” next.

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is dreading it too.

I agree, he also slipped in that he and Meghan lie in bed at night and watch Netflix, these things were not said by accident.

I agree, he also slipped in that he and Meghan lie in bed at night and watch Netflix, these things were not said by accident.

well this is his life now, doing "promotions" for Netflix...

Yes, he did. And while I was a bit concerned that he seemed to care much more about himself than about his family; he did also stress that people know that The Crown is fiction 'loosely based on facts' - although he seemed to suggest that it shows a somewhat accurate picture of the lifestyle - while he apparently thinks that the perception of the public is that the media/tabloids portray the truth.

I'm afraid he is underestimating how much a tv-series like the Crown influences people's perception of the royal family and overestimates how seriously the tabloids are taken.

I liked this interview. But I like James (I don't like Oprah) and I'm more interested in hearing what Harry has to say. I will say supposedly this interview was taped before the Queen took away the patronages.

Yes, Harry referred to 'whatever the decision will be that they will make' (or something along those lines); so, it clearly wasn't made at the time the interview was taped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charities Need and like the publicity, which is why they always tweet about donations received.

Harry looks healthy and happy with his old friend in this interview, which is more than he did in London. If Harry and his wife were stifled and miserable in their positions and under fire from a vile press day and night for every single little thing they did and said, they are surely allowed to leave the RF without being accused of being traitorous and disloyal every five minutes. And surely Harry knew and knows the state of his own mental health better than any outsider does.

As for speaking about Archie, which wasn't much, most people including royals talk to others about their children at times. Diana did, Kate and William do. Why is Harry not allowed? Harry and Meghan wanted some privacy for themselves and their child. That meant not being probed and found fault with by the British tabloids all the time, not that they wished to remain silent about their lives and offspring for all time.

Yip, and he sounded happy for the series to carry on. He looked perfectly serious when he said he would like Damian Lewis to play him in future episodes but then The Crown is one of Netflix's biggest (if not it's biggest) shows and Netflix is one of his paymasters so I'm not surprised he's promoting it.

He’s a sell out to his own family, especially his father, who’s the one who suffered the most.

Americans will likely have no problem with that decision, but royal watchers will be cringing. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of Harry’s family is
dreading it too.

Most (and I mean the VAST majority) won’t give a damn about H and M; most Americans are not interested in the Royals, especially now.

I’m glad that, unless I see it here or on Twitter, that I have no idea what these two are up to....

Somebody:

Yes, he did. And while I was a bit concerned that he seemed to care much more about himself than about his family; he did also stress that people know that The Crown is fiction 'loosely based on facts' - although he seemed to suggest that it shows a somewhat accurate picture of the lifestyle - while he apparently thinks that the perception of the public is that the media/tabloids portray the truth.

I'm afraid he is underestimating how much a tv-series like the Crown influences people's perception of the royal family and overestimates how seriously the tabloids are taken.

I just take that Harry giving himself an out for selling his father out. He apparently claimed the British media is toxic, but I guess The Crown isn’t even though (as William has said) it has exploited his parents and vilified his father. I’m sad to say that, in his game of Limbo, Harry keeps showing us how low he can go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sussexes are in full PR swing as far i can see. And it's only the beginning.
Cringe, that's all i can say.
I suppose their fans will find, as usual, any possible excuses to find this rather unbritish, cheap and somewhat immodest (again from my very personnal pov) behaviour exciting.
I say : good for them.
IMO from a strictly , dynastical, historical and institutional perspectives (the reasons why i'm on this Forum from the start), the Sussexes are now definitely out of the picture.
They are semi-celebrities with some level of entertainment for a very targeted audience.
Why not, but don't call them Royals anymore ...

Which is kind of funny when you think that he and Meg were angry that the tabloids were so unfair and inaccurate in their portrayal of THEM...
Doesn't mind if the meida are unfair or inaccurate in their treatment of his grandmother or the rest of hte RF.. so long as he and Meg get good press...

Last edited:

The full quote gives a clearer picture of what the Prince said

“I’m way more comfortable with*The Crown*than I am seeing the stories written about my family or my wife or myself. Because… that [The Crown] is obviously fiction, take it how you will. But this is being reported on as fact because you’re supposedly news. I have a real issue with that"

The Sussexes are in full PR swing as far i can see. And it's only the beginning.
Cringe, that's all i can say.
I suppose their fans will find, as usual, any possible excuses to find this rather unbritish, cheap and somewhat immodest (again from my very personnal pov) behaviour exciting.
I say : good for them.
IMO from a strictly , dynastical, historical and institutional perspectives (the reasons why i'm on this Forum from the start), the Sussexes are now definitely out of the picture.
They are semi-celebrities with some level of entertainment for a very targeted audience.
Why not, but don't call them Royals anymore ...

But they are happy to bring the royals into their PR; because why else talk about his grandmother and their gift for Christmas to Archie.

I did like the 'army course' (and agree with the interviewer that Harry talked to him as he would talk to Archie); and agree with Intothesea that something like that would have been perfect for Invictus; however, this was about promoting 'Harry the prince' not about any of the 'service' they are doing - the contribution to their life of service would only be indirect as they use this media offensive to stay in the picture which they can use to further their own causes (including promoting issues close to their hearts and living a celebrity lifestyle).

Well they're celebrities now - they depend on publicity they generate for their projects. So this is what's to be expected of them. There's nothing wrong with that - they were unhappy in the royal family and now they're living their own lives. I have no problem with that. As long as they're not saying nasty things about the royals or whining about their lives as rich people. Whining about your life as a rich person is something all of Hollywood does and it's annoying. None of them had to go to work in minus zero degree weather they should be grateful for that. Moving on ...

I thought the interview was cute - nothing nasty a bit of fun about the queen giving Archie a waffle iron (really though? He said "Mummy I want a waffle iron for Christmas?" Well it's not the weirdest thing I've heard a celebrity say about their child on James' show) . But I thought the bits were cute, Harry was happy and upbeat and it's no different than James' interview with Paul McCartney or Elton John which I also liked.

So I'd say it was a good interview.

Last edited:
Most (and I mean the VAST majority) won’t give a damn about H and M; most Americans are not interested in the Royals, especially now

True, but we will still be subject to seeing them around now. Oprah and James Corden, People Magazine inset covers, this is just week #1. When the Oprah interview comes out, there will be likely a People cover story. Then talk about it on the morning shows, etc.

Harry will be in a media blitz, even if most Americans don’t follow him. I don’t follow many of the US shows and celebrities, but I can still see an image and usually say “oh, that’s so-and-so promoting xyz”.

I assume he knows this? His interview in South Africa made him sound skeptical of any media. But, he seemed to have changed his mind.

It is okay for him to decide what he wants to do, but I do think he’s in a predicament because he will have to talk about his family and media loves the idea of drama, so he may walk into a few traps where things he says will become the headline, and he’ll find himself in a familiar situation where he feels the media is unfair.

Last edited:
Interviews like these is the reason why I've never believed Harry and Meghan wanted privacy in the first place, what they wanted was a never-ending flattering press from the British media, and when it was clear they wouldn't get that, they run away to the US where many people still fawn over the fact that he was Diana's son (completely forgetting William in the process). If they truly wanted privacy, they could've move somewhere in the Midwest or the Northeast, instead of California.
Privacy and never ending flattery are two separate things.
Like all royals they want to control the narrative and give the press what they want to for ex. not listing Archie's godparents.
As for the never-ending flattery. I doubt the couple wanted that after a while it becomes sugary and like saccharine. Useless. However what the couple got was unfair and mentally damaging treatment by the press. The far opposite of never-ending flattery. No one deserves that!

Harry is not the producer or director of The Crown. He emphasised in the show with Corben that it was fiction, 'loosely based on facts'. He never at any stage said that The Crown was a truthful portrayal of it all. He didn't criticise his grandmother, in fact he contributed a lovely little story about his grandparents. And as a member of the BRF he is surely more able to judge if some aspects of royal life are portrayed accurately than any of us who look in from the outside.

Which is kind of funny when you think that he and Meg were angry that the tabloids were so unfair and inaccurate in their portrayal of THEM...
Doesn't mind if the meida are unfair or inaccurate in their treatment of his grandmother or the rest of hte RF.. so long as he and Meg get good press...
To reiterate what Prince Harry said-The Crown can be unfair in its portrayal of people as it is FICTION. They have poetic license to glorify or villify people as much as they want to.

However when the press tries to pass off factual information as fictious lies that is the proplem and that us wrong.

Stevie Wonder could see the point the Prince was trying to make.

To reiterate what Prince Harry said-The Crown can be unfair in its portrayal of people as it is FICTION. They have poetic license to glorify or villify people as much as they want to.

However when the press tries to pass off factual information as fictious lies that is the proplem and that us wrong.

Stevie Wonder could see the point the Prince was trying to make.

But its not ficiton. It is based on fact and a lot of people will beleive that it is fact....

True, but we will still be subject to seeing them around now. Oprah and James Corden, People Magazine inset covers, this is just week #1. When the Oprah interview comes out, there will be likely a People cover story. Then talk about it on the morning shows, etc.

Harry will be in a media blitz, even if most Americans don’t follow him. I don’t follow many of the US shows and celebrities, but I can still see an image and usually say “oh, that’s so-and-so promoting xyz”.

I assume he knows this? His interview in South Africa made him sound skeptical of any media. But, he seemed to have changed his mind.

It is okay for him to decide what he wants to do, but I do think he’s in a predicament because he will have to talk about his family and media loves the idea of drama, so he may walk into a few traps where things he says will become the headline, and he’ll find himself in a familiar situation where he feels the media is unfair.

If you don’t buy People, their being on the cover won’t matter. If you don’t watch Oprah, it won’t matter about the interview. If you don’t care about H and M and/or the BRF, Americans can avoid them. My country is in dire straights, so are most Americans. Under the best of circumstances, H and M would only generally be covered by celebrity or gossip magazines...under these terrible circumstances, that’s still how they’ll be covered. This media blitz is going to come off as tasteless... but most of us won’t be paying attention

If you don’t buy People, their being on the cover won’t matter. If you don’t watch Oprah, it won’t matter about the interview. If you don’t care about H and M and/or the BRF, Americans can avoid them. My country is in dire straights, so are most Americans. Under the best of circumstances, H and M would only generally be covered by celebrity or gossip magazines...under these terrible circumstances, that’s still how they’ll be covered. This media blitz is going to come off as tasteless... but most of us won’t be paying attention

They would not be doing this, if Americans weren't interested in them. They have to make money, they have their deal with Netflix to fulfil and if they don't have fans in teh US who will watch their stuff on TV and other media, then they will lose out. So they're not doing this with Oprah cos they want to chat to her, its to make money.. If most people ignore them, dont watch their shows etc, they're gonna fail at their money making...

Charities Need and like the publicity, which is why they always tweet about donations received.

Harry looks healthy and happy with his old friend in this interview, which is more than he did in London. If Harry and his wife were stifled and miserable in their positions and under fire from a vile press day and night for every single little thing they did and said, they are surely allowed to leave the RF without being accused of being traitorous and disloyal every five minutes. And surely Harry knew and knows the state of his own mental health better than any outsider does.

As for speaking about Archie, which wasn't much, most people including royals talk to others about their children at times. Diana did, Kate and William do. Why is Harry not allowed? Harry and Meghan wanted some privacy for themselves and their child. That meant not being probed and found fault with by the British tabloids all the time, not that they wished to remain silent about their lives and offspring for all time.
Exactly! For ex. the Cambridges have given similar interviews in the past where they discussed things like Christmas presents, what kind of shows their kids watch..etc.
Public figures and royals know people like insight into aspects of their lives not normally scene and as such share them on interviews just like this.

Gotcha - Harry is perfectly fine with his father being destroyed by the Crown because it’s “loosely based on facts”.

I think I’m done with him permanently now.

They would not be doing this, if Americans weren't interested in them. They have to make money, they have their deal with Netflix to fulfil and if they don't have fans in teh US who will watch their stuff on TV and other media, then they will lose out. So they're not doing this with Oprah cos they want to chat to her, its to make money.. If most people ignore them, dont watch their shows etc, they're gonna fail at their money making...

Denville, I think I know much more about my country than you do. I stand by everything I said. If you read what I wrote, I said MOST Americans don’t care about H and M or the Royals. Some people do...maybe that’s enough to make H and M money, because we have a population of over 320 million. That doesn’t mean Americans in general care.

Last edited:

I don't know. America may be in dire straits (quite frankly, most of the world is right now), but lots of people watch Oprah and/or read People magazine. In fact, during bad times, people tend to turn to gossip and entertainment even more as a form of stress relief and escapism.

I agree with what other posters said about Harry sounding skeptic about any kind of media in South Africa and now turning to a media blitz in America. Apparently, he is not against the media when he finds it friendly, which is pretty much the case with the US media outlets he is approaching.

In a way, Harry is more comfortable in America because, as Denville says, in the UK there are lots of people in the press/media who are openly anti-royalist or even anti-monarchist and will take advantage of anything to slam the Royals and accuse them of preferential treatment, misuse of public funds and things like that. In the US, since the RF plays no public role and royals are just seen as celebrities like any ordinary movie, music or sports stars, he doesn't have to deal with that.

Last edited:
Denville, I think I know much more about my country than you do. I stand by everything I said. If you read what I wrote, I said MOST Americans don’t care about H and M or the Royals. Some people do...maybe that’s enough to make H and M money, because we have a population of over 320 million. That doesn’t mean Americans in general care.

I'd agree with this. The people I work with and my family don't care at all about Harry or Meghan. I think it's a small percentage like me who loves history or remembers their mother that cares about them. I don't think the Oprah interview is going to get the great ratings they think it will just going by the people I know.

I watched the interview because I didn’t want to comment without seeing it and had the unexpected reaction of feeling sad about the whole thing.

They seem to want superstardom and piles of money, and justify those as essential parts of the philanthropy they wish to do. But that’s just not the case. You can totally make a success out of an organization without bandying your face around. Heck, one can even be a famous and critically acclaimed actor without becoming a celebrity (Daniel Day Lewis, hello, and a lot of British thespians). Same goes with nearly all these big name philanthropists, who were known for their talents first.

It was a fun enough interview, light, and sure it made Harry seem likable but he’s nearly always been that. But it’s so so so common. Like who wants this life, over the amazing heritage he was born with and the endless possibilities if only they were smart enough to know what to do with what they had and how to navigate those adversities.

It’s just sad, this made me sad.

I saw this mentioned on Sky News earlier. The same bulletin mentioned that the Queen, 94 years old and no doubt worried sick about Prince Philip, had spoken out about the importance of the vaccination programme, that Prince Charles and Camilla had been visiting medical staff, and that Sophie Wessex had trained as a volunteer at a vaccination centre. Meanwhile, Harry gives an interview about himself.

I've been treated for mental health problems myself in the past and am not unsympathetic, but "any husband and father" wouldn't just pack in a stressful job and a stressful life and run off to Hollywood, because most husbands and fathers are not in a financial position to do that.

I'm really finding Harry's behaviour quite frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom