The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. Yes I think that relatively few Americans take an interest in the RF or in the 2 of them paritcularly. But of those who do, I think they are more likely to favour them and to feel that if H and Meg ended up leaving royal life and striking out on their own, they are in the right, more attractive and interesting than the regular RF etc.

I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I don’t think you understand Americans much. You are severely underestimating the number of Americans who, if asked, would think Harry and Meghan are spoiled and entitled brats. Obviously, I think those Americans who are interested in them would side with and support them, but that’s not the issue. Neither is the issue that, of Americans who do follow the BRF, most support the Sussexes. For one thing, I don’t think it’s true, but the point is that we are speaking of Americans as a whole, period. As a whole, Americans do not care about or favor H and M.

I think it depends. Meghan in particular has a devout fan club who get offended even when you don't say anything negative about her. [.....] On the other hand lots of Americans like the royal family and don't like Meghan and Harry because they abandoned them when they were needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends. Meghan in particular has a devout fan club who get offended even when you don't say anything negative about her. On the other hand lots of Americans like the royal family and don't like Meghan and Harry because they abandoned them when they were needed.
Of course it depends. The USA is a vast place. YOu can't really generalise about such a huge population with a lot of different cultures within its borders.
But I think that of the people who DO take an interest (A minority) they seem to be more likely to think well of Harry and Meghan.. just as a lot of Americans who follow royalty prefer Diana to Charles and the BRF as a whole. They see H and Meg breaking out of what they think of as a "toxic" environment which stifled them and told them what to do.. and prevented them from making money as they wanted and leading their own lives. H and Meg did what Diana could/did not do... and moved ot the US to lead their own lives...
Of course some Americans who do follow the RF will be critical of them, see them as spoiled or silly. I think a lot of Americans who followed the story were taken aback about their using their visit to a military cemetery to garner them some notice.. so obviously not all Americans will like them.. but having said that it seems that the media there are quite favourable to them.. such as Gloria Steinem interviewing Meg and welcoming her back to the US..

I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I don’t think you understand Americans much. You are severely underestimating the number of Americans who, if asked, would think Harry and Meghan are spoiled and entitled brats. Obviously, I think those Americans who are interested in them would side with and support them, but that’s not the issue. Neither is the issue that, of Americans who do follow the BRF, most support the Sussexes. For one thing, I don’t think it’s true, but the point is that we are speaking of Americans as a whole, period. As a whole, Americans do not care about or favor H and M.

Americans are fascinated by the royals but overall we don't really care of them outside of the fun celebrations of babies, weddings, and some glitzy events. Yes interest grew with Meghan due to her being one of our own, but overall most still don't care. Heck I will say that about majority in the UK as well.

[.....]

Americans are fascinated by the royals but overall we don't really care of them outside of the fun celebrations of babies, weddings, and some glitzy events. Yes interest grew with Meghan due to her being one of our own, but overall most still don't care. Heck I will say that about majority in the UK as well.

[.....]

Yes the majority of UK people dont take that much interst in the RF.. but they are generally favourable to the idea of the monarchy and there's no serious move to get rid of it. Obviously the majority of Americans dont care one way or the other about the RF or Harry and Meg, why should they? But of the small set of people who do follow them, IMO they tend to favour them more than UK people do...Since they've left the UK they're still getting a lot of critiicsm from the press and I'd say that people got increasingly ciritcal of them since they left

Yes and no. Yes I think that relatively few Americans take an interest in the RF or in the 2 of them paritcularly. But of those who do, I think they are more likely to favour them and to feel that if H and Meg ended up leaving royal life and striking out on their own, they are in the right, more attractive and interesting than the regular RF etc.

It all depends I don't think (as an American) they are bad people, I wish them well and I hope they succeed. Whatever issues that caused them to leave I doubt will ever be truly known. I hope they have a happy life.

Harry and Meghan land a multi-year deal with Spotify.

"Today, we’re excited to announce a new multi-year partnership with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new production company, Archewell Audio. Read more about the heartwarming stories they plan to tell."

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-1...ll-audio-promises-podcasts-that-will-inspire/

Here is a teaser of their channel with Harry and Meghan giving a message.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2RfvSuWxcoyweXhNSeTbMR?si=uPA7gNBVRQ-5eavkuZDN0Q

I see the the Spotify deal has been announced this side of the new Year . It hasn't been confirmed by Omid, but we expect it soon.

It should be noted that Spotify have a very curious contract that they uphold - basically if you do anything we dont agree with they will pull the carpet out from under you. So they have been warned. It would be ironic if Meghan and Harry became victims of the culture they are so deeply investing in.

Last edited:
Harry's cousin Peter Phillips was doing commercials for China. Eugenie and Bea have outside business work. So does it depend on if they also have royal duties or not that it would be an issue?

It really depends on how deeply it conflicts with the guidelines setup by the palace.
If the royal family member has to physically appear in the media promoting it - ie. Peter Philips and Duchess of York it is in conflict with the guidelines.
If it is a money been made in the background, and very little people are aware of the royals involvement then it will pass.
However that been said H& M made it very clear from day one that they had no interest in following those guidelines. I do feel for the younger royals that are going about their lives in England and are rarely doing their utmost to stick to these rules, when M&H are bluntly doing whatever they want. There is really nothing stopping Beatrice, Eugenie , Zara, Peter and eventually Louise and James from doing the same now. It is a fast and easy way to make money.

Harry's cousin Peter Phillips was doing commercials for China. Eugenie and Bea have outside business work. So does it depend on if they also have royal duties or not that it would be an issue?

Peter Phillips has never been a working royal nor have Beatrice or Eugenie. They do not represent the queen.. and they do not receive any money from the Sovereign Grant... Even so, its very easy to stray into controversy when in business and to get critiicsed for crossing a line... and it has happened to Peter Phillips....

Peter Phillips also wasn't doing it in the UK (or another English speaking country) where it would have been a no-go from the start and the ad got swiftly pulled once it came to light. Bea and Eugenie work for a tech company and a gallery and don't openly trade on their titles whilst doing so. They aren't selling "Bea and Eugie" branded clothes or food products. If they tried to start HRH Princess Eugenie Gallery there would probably be trouble.

We'll see what the Spotify deal actually entails. There are plenty of similar channels at the moment., though obviously they have name recognition.

Last edited:

[.....]

Exactly....and, the only time the Royals are really covered IS for weddings, and big events (and even then, if it’s not about senior Royals, the coverage will be limited). It makes sense - we don’t have a Royal family, so why would the majority of Americans care about the BRF? It would be like the British public being fascinated with Presidential children.

Peter Phillips has never been a working royal nor have Beatrice or Eugenie. They do not represent the queen.. and they do not receive any money from the Sovereign Grant... Even so, its very easy to stray into controversy when in business and to get critiicsed for crossing a line... and it has happened to Peter Phillips....
Also should be noted that Peter Phillips and his sister Zara Tindall are not titled/styled like Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie. Based upon the statements that the Sussexes released in early 2020, they appeared to be very disappointed that they could not use the style HRH and the word "royal" for future business endeavors.

Peter Phillips also wasn't doing it in the UK where it would have been a no-go from the start and the ad got swiftly pulled once it came to light. Bea and Eugenie work for a tech company and a gallery and don't openly trade on their titles whilst doing so. They aren't selling "Bea and Eugie" branded clothes or food products.

We'll see what the Spotify deal actually entails. There are plenty of similar channels at the moment., though obviously they have name recognition.
Business is always a delicate set up and even minor royals have wound up in controversy and had to give up their business work. However apart from not being allowed to use HRH there is no real sanction that can be used on H and Meghan...Bea and Eugenie have ordinary if high class jobs, and as far as I know aren't invovled in business on their own account..

Hmm, I’m not sure how I feel about this....I suppose it might be ok as long as they don’t tell any stories about the BRF.

It really depends on how deeply it conflicts with the guidelines setup by the palace.
If the royal family member has to physically appear in the media promoting it - ie. Peter Philips and Duchess of York it is in conflict with the guidelines.
If it is a money been made in the background, and very little people are aware of the royals involvement then it will pass.
However that been said H& M made it very clear from day one that they had no interest in following those guidelines. I do feel for the younger royals that are going about their lives in England and are rarely doing their utmost to stick to these rules, when M&H are bluntly doing whatever they want. There is really nothing stopping Beatrice, Eugenie , Zara, Peter and eventually Louise and James from doing the same now. It is a fast and easy way to make money.
Sarah isn't a royal.. and there's nothing much the RF can do to stop her using her name and title to find work.. and its the same with Harry and Meghan. They're in the US, they have been told they cant use the style HRH.. there's nothing much the RF can do if they go very commerical or if they go very political.. except ignore them...

Business is always a delicate set up and even minor royals have wound up in controversy and had to give up their business work. However apart from not being allowed to use HRH there is no real sanction that can be used on H and Meghan...Bea and Eugenie have ordinary if high class jobs, and as far as I know aren't invovled in business on their own account..

Yes as I was editing in because I forgot on first post, if the HRH Princess Eugenie Gallery or HRH Beatrice Consultancy appeared I don't think it would go over well.

Harry and Meghan are allowed to use their names for things and obviously people know their connections but they've skated very close to the mark with how they were addressed during their political adventures, even without the HRH and just "DDoS".

Of course it depends. The USA is a vast place. YOu can't really generalise about such a huge population with a lot of different cultures within its borders.
But I think that of the people who DO take an interest (A minority) they seem to be more likely to think well of Harry and Meghan.. just as a lot of Americans who follow royalty prefer Diana to Charles and the BRF as a whole. They see H and Meg breaking out of what they think of as a "toxic" environment which stifled them and told them what to do.. and prevented them from making money as they wanted and leading their own lives. H and Meg did what Diana could/did not do... and moved ot the US to lead their own lives...
Of course some Americans who do follow the RF will be critical of them, see them as spoiled or silly. I think a lot of Americans who followed the story were taken aback about their using their visit to a military cemetery to garner them some notice.. so obviously not all Americans will like them.. but having said that it seems that the media there are quite favourable to them.. such as Gloria Steinem interviewing Meg and welcoming her back to the US..

I generally don't post, but read here. I consider myself to be fair and impartial. I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong. Most Americans generally don't care for them at all, other than a small minority. There are way too many issues and problems at the moment for Americans to linger too long on the likes of Meghan and Harry. I know that may be hard to believe, but it is so......Harry and Meghan are trying to do the work of British Royals here somewhat, and I'm sorry-- but that just isn't going to garner much attention. Good on them for their charitable contributions and endeavors-but most Americans try to do that as best as they can individually and quietly and move on with everyday life.

yes I've repeatedly stated that the vast majority of Americans dont pay any heed to them. But a minority do and of htat minority there are people who are ardent fans. If they didnt' have a following who liked them, there would not be disputes about them on social media and writers and journalists like Steinem would not bother with them....

…exclusive multi-year deal with Spotify!

"Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, have inked an exclusive multi-year deal with Spotify through newly formed production company Archewell Audio."

……………………

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...st-deal/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"At Spotify, Meghan and Harry are likely to feature diverse and underrepresented voices. Their first full podcast series is expected to be released next year as part of Spotify’s free, ad-supported product, which reaches 320 million people around the world." (via Billboard.com)

Looking forward to 2021 :flowers:

Last edited:
I generally don't post, but read here. I consider myself to be fair and impartial. I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong. Most Americans generally don't care for them at all, other than a small minority. There are way too many issues and problems at the moment for Americans to linger too long on the likes of Meghan and Harry. I know that may be hard to believe, but it is so......Harry and Meghan are trying to do the work of British Royals here somewhat, and I'm sorry-- but that just isn't going to garner much attention. Good on them for their charitable contributions and endeavors-but most Americans try to do that as best as they can individually and quietly and move on with everyday life.

I am an American and I have relatives in California, they are interested in them in California and don't have any negativity.but I would not say "most" Americans don't like them. Unless there is a visit to every household there is no way of knowing who dislikes them or anything about how 'most" feel. Some perhaps do not care about any royals or their relatives or what happens. And that might be a significant number. I disagree with you. I have never heard one negative thing about them here. There is more dislike of Trump and he is the subject of much criticism not the sussexes. I think they have their fans, they have people who dislike them from the get go and those who don't care. The percentages unless something truly definitive is done is not known.

Trending on Twitter!

Of note:

The same Prince Harry whom some keep insisting nobody cares about here in America, is currently trending on Twitter (last I checked at #10) in United States Trends! :flowers:

Of note:

The same Prince Harry whom some keep insisting nobody cares about here in America, is currently trending on Twitter (last I checked at #10) in United States Trends! :flowers:

nobody siad that "nobody cares about them in America". but if you look at any story about them on social media or the press, there has uusally been a lot of critical comments which I'd say are roughly 50% British posters and 50% Americans.

For now I think they are a niche, appealing to another niche, surfing on any royal related topic trending ("The Crown " etc ...).
Business wise I would say it's a good product, with potentials, but i can't see any global hoopla for them. It's definitely an american calibrated venture, like an upscale version of Sarah's weight watchers.
They have maybe found freedom but they are still in the process to find themselves i guess. Timing is not helping though.

Also should be noted that Peter Phillips and his sister Zara Tindall are not titled/styled like Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie. Based upon the statements that the Sussexes released in early 2020, they appeared to be very disappointed that they could not use the style HRH and the word "royal" for future business endeavors.

Yes I think they were indeed annoyed and upset about that... which shows how their minds were working IMO for the past year or more before that.. that they were thinking of coming to the US and making money out of their titles. Zara and Peter were never meant to be working royals.. they do get work, no doubt because of their connections but they're not and never were expected to represent the queen. Neither were the York girls in spite of their titles. And both Zara and Peter have been critiicsed over business ventures.. it is a highly difficult field to negotiate.... and its very easy to be accused of stepping over the line,.

Audio of Harry and Meghan podcasting

And now…we have audio of Harry and Meghan podcasting ?
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2RfvSuWxcoyweXhNSeTbMR

Exciting news all around. First Harry and Meghan's Netflix deal and now this "Archewell Audio" and Spotify collaboration!

“Do not fear failure but rather fear not trying.”
― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

As an artist/creative, I'm a "cup half full" rather than "half empty" type of person so I can't help but wish them much success in these two ventures and whatever else they have in store for the future :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm thrilled for Harry and Meghan. The Spotify deal is terrific news. I'm looking forward to hearing about this and other moves as the couple go forward into 2021.

It wasn't too many months after they left the UK that speculation on SM, including forums like this one, was that the Sussexes would inevitably crawl back to the UK with their tails between their legs, because they wouldn't be able to make a successful living in the US.

Instead the couple have bought a house in a fabulous area, signed up with two big players in the industry for possibly multi million dollars, and overall are doing very well in what is a terrible economic climate.

I wish them all the luck in the world going forward, both in their commercial endeavours in 2021 and their private lives. Well done, Harry and Meghan!

It seems like it's a very nice deal for them, and according to the trailer it should be a very positive podcast that should be pleasant to listen to. That's not really what I personally look for in podcasts (I'm more of a true crime and world events fan myself!) but I think that it will probably appeal to many people. Good for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom