The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thought out?
Yes. She reminded people that she's "better" than other celebrities, because she's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and then bum, here's something I'm giving to my dear, dear friend that you can buy (probably for an exorbitant amount of money.

I admit, I shrugged when I heard that Meghan had invested in some product, because this is the kind of thing she and Harry moved to the States for. Her giving one to Oprah so that she could shill for it is another matter. To me, that’s rather crass...

Apparently she asked to be included again, like the 19th Summit in August.

We don't really have confirmation of this - however I wonder how many people they phone actually says no. I wonder how many celebrities and organizations are not politely closing the doors.

Pleasantly Surprised!

Beautiful location - so serene √

Flawless look - she looked resplendent √

On point Message √
- I totally agree; we all should "support the collective well being" of everyone around us

Name dropping her pal Oprah for that extra oomph √
- I ain't mad; I'd name drop Oprah too if she were my friend

We haven't seen Meghan in a long while so **FOR ME, seeing her on "CNN Heroes" imparting the message she did, WORKED…

**I was pleasantly surprised :flowers:

It seems that in general the American audience love her. Those more invested in the (British) monarchy generally are less likely to be happy that someone is using 'their historic titles' to make a name and money for themselves.

Asking to be included…It's what we do!

Apparently she asked to be included again, like the 19th Summit in August.

In my opinion, there's nothing abnormal with asking (If she really did) to be included…

I, and all of my (Elementary to University and beyond) friends were taught to do just that—ask for whatever we desired. It's nothing for us (*Americans) to ask for that internship, that job, that promotion, that 'good word or two' to become part of 'the perfect' organization etc. In fact, just the other day, I phoned my friend and was like, friend, I see your website is gaining traction, kindly do me a favor; place my product on your website…

*Last I checked, Meghan is still an American :usaflag:

I don't know much about how things are done in the UK but Americans are taught at a very young age to be go-getters; it's the norm here!

I'll even piggy-back on what President Obama said just the other day, It's what we do! :flowers:

Last edited:
It seems that in general the American audience love her. Those more invested in the (British) monarchy generally are less likely to be happy that someone is using 'their historic titles' to make a name and money for themselves.

This is what I wish I was able to put into words myself. That's the crux of the entire thing. Is Meghan "cashing in" on her title deliberately? Is Meghan hanging her hopes on success with a title that she's seen previously as a working royal and her success with the launch of the cookbook for the Hubb kitchen and the success of the clothing for Smart Works? Is Meghan hanging her hopes that the "chutzpah" she acquired being a member of the British Royal Family will follow her as an independent influencer and philanthropist in the American sector where it's pretty much that Americans can and do equate "royalty" with "celebrity"?

I can only go by what my thoughts are and that is that the work and successes that Meghan has had up until the grand exodus to parts far, far away were connected to the institution of the monarchy and it's "Firm". There was no doubt that anything accomplished during that time was for the greater good and not for personal accolades and rewards and green dollars. For me, a person that is doing what Meghan is doing now since she's returned to the US, does hinge on personal ego and even with the most altruistic of intentions, one will question "what's in it for her".

I'm a person that for most of my life have avoided getting caught up in the "celebrity" fandom and following those people. Well.. OK... I was a huge fan of the fab four and that started my interest in all things British but... I digress. It's my opinion that whatever Harry and Meghan end up doing now, other than what is posted on here, is not really going to be on my radar and most definitely will not affect my bank account either. I'd be questioning where my money is *really* going.

As for the titles. Harry and Meghan, at this point, are within their rights to use their titles other than to "brand" something that is marketed commercially. I'm on the fence whether the use of the titles is actually promoting the "brand" of themselves as private individuals. This is something that I believe that the Queen and Parliament would be the right people to hash this all out and come to a decision. ?

I think that Americans have a generally more favorable view of Meghan, yes. Their leaving for the US is seen as less of a break with tradition and the family and more as a “self-care” move to take charge of their life and get out of a toxic situation. I know many people who usually don’t give two cents about the British Royal Family who were commenting things like “Yaaaaaas you go girl! You get yourself out of a toxic situation!”

I’d say in general most Americans don’t care one way or the other about her. She sure doesn’t come up in any of my real life discussions. Her wedding day was the exception.

Given that the US is a more individualistic society, she may have more support than in the UK....from the handful of people who pay attention.

But- I seriously don’t think people care that much. Between our presidential election mess, COVID....she’s pretty far down on the list of things people care about.

Ouch, that's... sad.

I was reminded today that I miss Meghan's public speaking ability, though in difference to feminism or girl education you can feel her heart is not in it, she sounded subdued and stilted. But that doesn't change the fact that the speech was very well written and nice. Though I did have a laugh around the "a meal is like a hug" because WTH? ?

She said “ a meal is like a hug”??? Lol Reminds me of some other overly poetic language Harry used recently. I really don’t go for overly saccharine, flowery language personally. It’s distracting. And eye- roll worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
She said “ a meal is like a hug”??? Lol Reminds me of some other overly poetic language Harry used recently. I really don’t go for overly saccharine, flowery language personally. It’s distracting. And eye- roll worthy.

but that's the way they both talk now. Waffly, gushy flowery...

I’d say in general most Americans don’t care one way or the other about her. She sure doesn’t come up in any of my real life discussions. Her wedding day was the exception.

Given that the US is a more individualistic society, she may have more support than in the UK....from the handful of people who pay attention.

But- I seriously don’t think people care that much. Between our presidential election mess, COVID....she’s pretty far down on the list of things people care about.

Yes, I know that most Americans don't care one way or the other but those who do are more likely to support her than not (from what I've seen) and references to Meghan in the American media seem to be positive.

Last edited:

As someone that really does enjoy her "comfort food", I can attest that at times, eating my comfort foods *do* feel like a warm hug! :D

I also remember a time when friends were in need and we took everything to make a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings over and that, for sure, felt like there was a huge hug fest going on there that I'll never forget.

So... Meghan's statement "a meal is like a hug" rings true for me in several ways. But that's just me. :whistling:

Yes, I know that most people don't care one way or the other but those who do are more likely to support her than not (from what I've seen) and references to Meghan in the American media seem to be positive.

That’s probably true.

Being an individualistic society, Meghan and Harry leaving plays better here. And Meghan is one of “us.”

That's not true at all. For one thing, most Americans don't care one way or the other about the monarchy. Those who do follow the monarchy, I would say are not fans of Meghan in particular. IMO, the ones who love her are those who either probably didn't even know who she was before she dated Harry and love the fairy tale aspect of it or those who did know who she was and loved the fairy tale aspect of it. Both probably already loved Harry to begin with.

Yes, I know that most people don't care one way or the other but those who do are more likely to support her than not (from what I've seen) and references to Meghan in the American media seem to be positive.

I think you may be under this impression because her "fans" are so vocal, but really, I think just as many Americans (if not more) think badly of her, for reasons we've already discussed many times in these threads. I would not, by any means, look to the American media to judge how she is viewed here. Overall, honestly, in a country of over 300 million people, very few care about Meghan......or Harry........or the BRF, and that's before the pandemic. Now? Forget it.

I think you may be under this impression because her "fans" are so vocal, but really, I think just as many Americans (if not more) think badly of her, for reasons we've already discussed many times in these threads. I would not, by any means, look to the American media to judge how she is viewed here. Overall, honestly, in a country of over 300 million people, very few care about Meghan......or Harry........or the BRF, and that's before the pandemic. Now? Forget it.

I totally agree with you about the media being any kind of barometer on her popularity. The media likes to think they speak for us. They don’t. I read way too many articles that explain what “we” think. As if “we” all agree.

I think she’s likely more popular here than the UK, but I also don’t think that’s saying much either.

Compared to non-Americans, the number of 'fans' seems to be much higher among the American audience. And as I said in the post you responded to, few care, so we are in agreement about that.

The fact that if any American shows references Meghan it is always in a positive manner, does suggest to me that she is more positively viewed in the States than in the UK; where we can find those who support her but also those who have a very negative opinion about how the couple behaves/d.

Of course, that doesn't mean that each and every American likes her (you and several others on this forum are examples of dissenting voices) but I believe this general tendency (Americans are more likely to be positive than non-Americans, especially comparing Americans that love the 'glamour' of royal/celebrity life or a particular royal versus those with an interest in 'the monarchy') is still true.

Can I point out about her doing a segment about people needing to use a charity to feed themselves in the middle of a global pandemic, and only a day later she gifts a food item to a woman who, I think, is richer than the Queen? and than we find out she invested in the company.

I don't know, it just doesn't sit right with me. It feels.. almost hypocritical to me.

…for me, the royal aspect was/is just a bonus!

Agreed; that is the general consensus here in America (going off of my own personal interactions and what I've seen on most social media platforms).

That's not true at all. For one thing, most Americans don't care one way or the other about the monarchy. Those who do follow the monarchy, I would say are not fans of Meghan in particular. IMO, the ones who love her are those who either probably didn't even know who she was before she dated Harry and love the fairy tale aspect of it or those who did know who she was and loved the fairy tale aspect of it. Both probably already loved Harry to begin with.

Agreed! Out of the two brothers, I believe Harry is more like his mother so naturally, my admiration of her also extended to him (Harry was/is the only royal on my radar). As for Meghan, I knew and liked her because of "The Tig" and her charitable works.

So ultimately, I liked Harry + I liked Meghan = The perfect match in my eyes!

In conclusion (speaking as an American), the royal aspect was/is just a bonus :flowers:

Last edited:

That's.. is actually not a bad poetic thing to say. On its own or in proper context.
I can actually say that sometimes a specific dish or drink can feel like a hug when i'm feeling down.

I used to say something of a similar nature when I was in the food industry.

Not quite, it was much more flowery than that; quote:
'And in moments of crisis, the warmth of a meal can feel as comforting as a much needed hug.'

Cup a Soup has the slogan "it's like a hug in a mug" which is what I thought of when I heard her say that.

There are members of the royal family that have used there titles inappropriately and they have been slapped down by HM and the press (Peter Phillips) and ended the endorsement. The reason that many of them don't get as much press for it is that they don't get as much press for anything good or bad as William, Harry and their wives do. Whilst many benefit from their connections they also aren't showing up on news programs or writing articles based on their titles either.

I think ML is a good comparison. Both have complained about the restraints of royal life and how they long to be free to do their own thing but it's incredibly clear that they want the title and perks to make money and be seen as a cut above the average person who has to make their own way outside of a family business. The title = the fairy dust even for republics.

There's also a difference between representing something greater than yourself or working on behalf of a charity (Together/Smart Works) and launching a two pronged strategy trying to show off your philanthropic side as a "royal" talking about feeding the poor whilst simultaneously your multi billionaire friend coos about the amazing gift you gave her that can be purchased right here, which you have a financial stake in.

There do seem to be more fans in the US audience but how that translates into people wanting to buy their stuff or actually participate in other things is difficult to say. I personally think that saying all Americans love her is as wrong as saying all British people hate her now. Most people don't care very much one way or the other.

And whilst they clearly weren't happy in The Firm their own original statement said they wanted to pursue financial independence which they weren't allowed to do as working royals and they ideally wanted a half in, half out agreement so it wasn't entirely a case of "escape toxic situation".

Last edited:
I'd rather they not involve Oprah in their plans. I can't stand Oprah [...]

Can I point out about her doing a segment about people needing to use a charity to feed themselves in the middle of a global pandemic, and only a day later she gifts a food item to a woman who, I think, is richer than the Queen? and than we find out she invested in the company.

I don't know, it just doesn't sit right with me. It feels.. almost hypocritical to me.

I am with you on this one, it just didn't sit right.
I do not have a problem with her investing in a business, but on one hand she is talking about feeding the poor and needy then it is this big hamper to one of the richest women in the world.
I know it was done for maximum publicity and I understand that, I just found it uncomfortable.

There is nothing appearing to be genuine in what they do it is all for publicity, a marketing ploy.

I have to agree that the back to back instances of a philanthropic message on one hand followed up by what is clearly a "plug" for something Meghan's invested in is what makes me wonder "what's in it for her". It taints even the most altruistic intentions. Makes me not even care to know just what "product" Meghan has invested in. :D

I totally agree with you about the media being any kind of barometer on her popularity. The media likes to think they speak for us. They don’t. I read way too many articles that explain what “we” think. As if “we” all agree.

I think she’s likely more popular here than the UK, but I also don’t think that’s saying much either.

To be honest, the media barely covers Harry and Meghan - it’s 99% entertainment media that does, like People. If there’s a Royal program on tv, the TV reporters will cover it, but that’s about it. There’s no reason to cover anyone in the BRF here as we don’t have a monarchy or a Royal family. When the media does review Royal specials, I do think it’s through the lens of “We got rid of the monarchy for a reason”, and these “journalists” tend to be anti- monarchy, so they (a la the Crown) will tend to assume the worst).

Even if M is more popular here, its among a tiny minority considering the population in this country, whereas she is quite unpopular in the UK as a fairly sizable majority in a much smaller population. That is to say, essentially, while M might appear to be popular in comparison to the UK, if we ignore the UK as a point of comparison, she’s not over here.

I am with you on this one, it just didn't sit right.
I do not have a problem with her investing in a business, but on one hand she is talking about feeding the poor and needy then it is this big hamper to one of the richest women in the world.
I know it was done for maximum publicity and I understand that, I just found it uncomfortable.

There is nothing appearing to be genuine in what they do it is all for publicity, a marketing ploy.

I said earlier that my problem was not with her investing in the product, but in gifting Oprah same so she could still. I hadn’t considered this at all - I do find it disturbing.

I have to agree that the back to back instances of a philanthropic message on one hand followed up by what is clearly a "plug" for something Meghan's invested in is what makes me wonder "what's in it for her". It taints even the most altruistic intentions. Makes me not even care to know just what "product" Meghan has invested in. :D

This investment may not even be a completely new endeavour of Meghan's. According to the article below she was looking to invest in small female-led entrepreneurial schemes because they don't get very much start-up investment in the first place. Meghan contacted Ms Mendoza after tasting her oat milk product in the summer when she'd been given it as a gift.

We don't know how much Meghan has invested, might be only a couple of thousand, but the boss (who has six employees) is clearly grateful, as she issued a statement saying so.

I doubt that Meghan thought 'Gee, I'm going to get wealthy and loads of publicity by getting into the oatmeal milk market here!' She is clearly sympathetic to small female led businesses who use natural products and are struggling in this climate and so decided to give a helping hand by investing in this one. The publicity via Oprah will hopefully help this woman's business and her workers.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s.../meghan-markle-invests-oat-milk-lattes-oprah/

Last edited:
It is also a local brand. Based right in their city Santa Barbara. She is supporting a small brand which is founded by women. Right up her alley.

H and M are trying to make their way in a very challenging world. Of course Meghan's people likely called to offer their client to the awards broadcast--that's the way celebrities work. Oat milk? I can't stand it--but if it's a local female entrepreneur I can see why Meghan wants to help out. It suits her own brand.

The bottom line for me, however, is that I personally dislike the PR games that the Sussexes play. Many would suggest that the Cambridges play the same games. Where the Cambridges seem to have developed a real committment to "royal" work in the interests of the people of the UK, however, the Sussexes are struggling to find a similar framework for their own philanthropic interests. The Sussexes end up being accused of having all kinds of selfish motives, in part because they make so many missteps. Perhaps they will in time develop a more effective strategy, and they won't need the games.

Yes and no. Yes I think that relatively few Americans take an interest in the RF or in the 2 of them paritcularly. But of those who do, I think they are more likely to favour them and to feel that if H and Meg ended up leaving royal life and striking out on their own, they are in the right, more attractive and interesting than the regular RF etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom