The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it sounds like they're trying to cover all the bases as far as Archewell is concerned with the trademark. I would think that the organization would have to be in force and actually bringing in funds before even thinking of awarding cash prizes/awards for anything. In the future, maybe but at the start of a brand new venture? I don't think so.

According to Roya Nikkhah, Harry has praised the Ministry of Defence for announcing that mental fitness will become mandatory in military training.

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
The Duke of Sussex has hailed today’s announcement by @DefenceHQ
that mental fitness will become mandatory in military training: “This is an amazing step forward for the British military and furthers the global leadership of our Armed Forces. There should be no difference between
7:05 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyaNikkhah
how we view our physical fitness and mental fitness and training both will help our service men and women excel, as well as being best prepared for what they may face, in any situation. Over the years it has been an honour to work alongside the service chiefs and the Ministry
7:07 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyaNikkhah
of Defence on projects such as HeadFIT, and I am delighted to see such a significant step... Mental fitness will become a daily practice adopted by all of us as a means to unlock potential in every aspect of our lives.”
7:09 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Harry has advocated for more mental health assistance for both vets and serving members of the armed forces for many years, so it's no surprise to see him welcome this. It's been a long time coming and he's obviously pleased.

Was there any kind of official statement, or did he just call her up and tell her that? Or maybe she called him? This seems like something that could have been a press release, but maybe they aren't doing that anymore.

According to Roya Nikkhah, Harry has praised the Ministry of Defence for announcing that mental fitness will become mandatory in military training.

The Duke of Sussex has hailed today’s announcement by @DefenceHQ
that mental fitness will become mandatory in military training: “This is an amazing step forward for the British military and furthers the global leadership of our Armed Forces. There should be no difference between
7:05 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyaNikkhah
how we view our physical fitness and mental fitness and training both will help our service men and women excel, as well as being best prepared for what they may face, in any situation. Over the years it has been an honour to work alongside the service chiefs and the Ministry
7:07 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @RoyaNikkhah
of Defence on projects such as HeadFIT, and I am delighted to see such a significant step... Mental fitness will become a daily practice adopted by all of us as a means to unlock potential in every aspect of our lives.”
7:09 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

So Jack Royson was actually the first to post about it, beating Roya by about 40 min (yes yes I checked the time stamp).
So I think he released a statement to the press via his PR

And he is getting a full blown snark evisceration on Jack's account.
I would argue that a very long statement. (Omid has it on his page, there's like 3 whole paragraphs), that being said, it's better written than his recent raindrops zoom - it actually sounds like Harry!. So whoever wrote this for him, good job!. except that final three lines...:ermm:

Causes that have something to do with veterans and the military is an area where Harry is very fluent and informed. Being in the military was a big part of his life even as a child. He dreamt of being in the military and played at being in the military as a kid. He served with gusto and I believe it was some of the best years of his life.

This is definitely an area that Harry excels in.

So Jack Royson was actually the first to post about it, beating Roya by about 40 min (yes yes I checked the time stamp).
So I think he released a statement to the press via his PR

And he is getting a full blown snark evisceration on Jack's account.
I would argue that a very long statement. (Omid has it on his page, there's like 3 whole paragraphs), that being said, it's better written than his recent raindrops zoom - it actually sounds like Harry!. So whoever wrote this for him, good job!. except that final three lines...:ermm:

Veterans’ issues, especially veterans’ mental health, is one of Harry’s real passion projects. I can always tell when he’s talking about one of “his” passion vs. one of Meghan’s that he’s just echoing (literally using some of her own words when talking about them)... very genuine, no “woke/enlightened buzzword salad” that makes little sense or makes him look ridiculous (I still cringe thinking about the raindrops!)... he sounds much more like “the old Harry” who wanted to be seen as “one of the blokes” and connect with them on their level.

Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.

Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13442044/meghan-markle-uk-most-popular-royal-worldwide/

I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.

I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.
rather extraordinary that Meghan's apparnetly more popular than the queen

Very well said. "Worldwide" survey means nothing to our royal family.

This was a lovely thought of Harry's and I'm sure it was much appreciated. Sick children can't gather together for awards etc in this climate anyway, but this charity has always had a special place in Harry's heart. His interaction with the families was always wonderfully natural.

Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.

I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!

Agree - they often pick the winner of the American election when they are yet to make an impact rather then someone who made an impact already.
I was recently informed that Time magazine barely has a readership and that it has less influence then TikTock so no hard feelings.

Did anyone really think they were going to be candidates - or even in the top 500?

I think the choice is a fabulous and inspired one.

Last edited:
I wonder if any of Harry or Meghan's charities has written to the Palace to have their patron changed. I hope they don't wait for March and then have a run for it. They are probably all waiting for the March decisions.

I was asked if the charities are getting annoyed been used by M&H as transport for their PR yet. Essentially the royals are using the charities for themselves when it should really be the other way around. Then again - any press is good press.

I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!

No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.

No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.

There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..

There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..

They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.

Say what you will about Hitler, and there is ALOT of not good things to say (which is something that I as a Jew am naturally aware of) but he did had:
real impact on people's lives (good and bad - my grandparents can attest to the horrific impact he had on their lives), inspired (He was a master speech giver people would not have followed him if he would not have inspired them) and in most cases people with real depth (one can of course debate as to what depth Hitler had)

They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.

I mean, Hitler, People guilty of terrorism, Stalin, Putin,... These are people who made an impact, a bad one, but one none the less.

Last edited:
It would have made more sense to me to have the 'essential workers' or the 'care workers' win; because it was Covid-19 that characterized this year worldwide -and they made the difference in many lives- much more so than the American elections.

Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13442044/meghan-markle-uk-most-popular-royal-worldwide/

This is surely a joke:

"OnBuy collated the results from data sourced from across the globe, via YouGov rankings, Google search volumes, Instagram and the Royal calendar, was normalised and weighted to establish a popularity score percentage for each of the British Royals."

What sort of bizarre methodology is that? What does normalised & weighted mean in this context?

Who are OnBuy?

In other news a straw poll of yaks have declared the Queen of Sheba to be the world's most popular royal based on tea leaf readings, twitter & youtube views.:lol:

Yougov is a serious polling company whereas this OnBuy is patently not. Now, if there is credible data from other countries on their views of individual members of the BRF then I would be interested to know.

Last edited:
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

Look at their surprise when they recognize him, very cool :flowers:

Think it's appearances like these that are really Harry's strength! (and he looks good..i know, i'm shallow)

PS. also trying to get this thread back on subject ;)

Last edited:
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

What an absolutely lovely appearance by Harry! The children seemed so surprised and excited. This is the sort of think that I think Harry is at his best at- no trying to sell anything, no "buzzwords" or jargon, just a very genuine and approachable bloke who is able to meet the kids where they're at and connect on that level. Well done!

Two of the nominees Fauci and Cuomo were recognized because of their work re: Covid. That overshadows a lot. And Trump was nominated. ANd Black Lives Matter. Major issues this year. I had no thought of Harry and Meghan possibly being nominated.

Last edited:

??????

They sourced: yougov (okay, but how? it has consistently showed her as one of the lest favorite), Google searches (nope!- first of all: unpopular infamous and controversial people tends to have higher google results than non problematic people; also if you don't know who the person is you are more likely to search for their name- as happened in 2017 when everyone went "Meghan Markle who?" upon the engagement announcement), and some ebay ripoff site called onbuy (so glad I was not drinking my wine while reading this my laptop would have gotten wet)

In other words ladies and gentlemen: this is what a paid PR puff article looks like!:whistling::whistling:
How so interesting that this article is being released this weekend, mere days after the tour and the "magnificent 7+Queen" pictures.

Sometimes the best PR line of defense is to do nothing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom