The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bothered by the phrase "the Sussex's rival scheme". I think it's fine if they want to hand out their own awards but they shouldn't be competing with the BRF. And they can't really in this matter - they can't hand out awards from some government their awards will just be awards that two private citizens are handing out. No different than if you or I handed out an award for something.

There is no real reason for doing this then self advertising. I stand to be corrected but does the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation had out Awards. They are the single most foundation for meaningful change and development in the would today and spur on numbers scientific and technology development with bursary and such. I know they they are involved in Earth Shot - but that is a once off for a particular project.
Awards only work when the requirement is personal achievement, as it then complete a goal recognition, ie Nobel Prize. When awards are only for show - it is normally only a advertisement ie Oscars.

When they try to compete with the Royal Family they hit wrong notes. They should try to do things that don't compete.

Who's saying this is going to be a 'rival scheme or set of awards' to any of the BRF's? Certainly the Sussexes' aren't. And if they wish to set up some awards for excellence in various areas, I think it's a great idea, and am looking forward to reading more about it and seeing it in operation in the future.

Who's saying this is going to be a 'rival scheme or set of awards' to any of the BRF's? Certainly the Sussexes' aren't. And if they wish to set up some awards for excellence in various areas, I think it's a great idea, and am looking forward to reading more about it and seeing it in operation in the future.

It's a direct quote from the article in The Sun.

Well, of course we all believe everything that is quoted in British tabloids news on the Sussexes! Especially as the Sun article sneers (of course) about 'woke' awards. It hasn't even been launched yet nor has Archewell, but the negativity of the British media towards this couple never ceases.

Last edited:
Well, of course we all believe everything that is quoted in British tabloids news on the Sussexes! Especially as the Sun article sneers (of course) about 'woke' awards. It hasn't even been launched yet nor has Archewell, but the negativity of the British media towards this couple never ceases.

*sigh* so if you don't believe the article don't read it.

If and when an official announcement comes out from the Sussexes about any awards they intend to launch then I will read it and believe it. Until then I don't need to read the Sun or Fail's own spins on anything to do with Harry and Meghan, no I don't.

Interesting if true given Harry's comments in the fake Greta phone call-

“And small steps or giving out prizes doesn’t make any difference these days.”

So the Sun picked through the Archewell filing papers where they copyright/trademark everything under the sun (the same way most business do, including the royal family!!!) and make a silly story out of one piece of it? Now people are in a tizzy? Again?!

Are we bored yet? The tabloids literally did this the last time they filed. They are so pathetically desperate for Harry and Meghan info they are grasping at anything.

Will the Sussexes do the 18865289 things listed on the filing? I doubt it but even if they did that’s their right.

Last edited:
has anyone seen this ?

Confused - but seems obvious that was released now.

Why would people pay attention to an out of touch and overprivileged prince who constantly whinge about how his life is so hard done by, while said prince got an enormous royal wedding, royal tours and now lives in a grand mansion with 16-bathrooms?

Because he might have an insider's view as well as dirt about the royal family and considering Netflix is the same company that produces "The Crown", I suspect that this is the only reason why Netflix is willing to shell out millions for him, because of his connection to Diana and the royal family.

After all, who wants to give him millions to talk about other subjects, when there are probably many people who are more knowledgeable and have more experience than him who can be hired for much cheaper?

Why would people pay attention to an out of touch and overprivileged prince who constantly whinge about how his life is so hard done by

Because somebody can be "an out of touch and overprivileged prince who constantly whinge about how his life is so hard done by" AND a victim and a good chap too?

Harry's story might be the story of a loose cannon to some; the story of a failing "influencer" with a failed "influencer mother" to others; and some like me follow the fate of Prince Harry and have outmost sympathies, because the story is going on since a long time and became part of out lives. And who knows, what Harry means to others?

Because somebody can be "an out of touch and overprivileged prince who constantly whinge about how his life is so hard done by" AND a victim and a good chap too?

Harry's story might be the story of a loose cannon to some; the story of a failing "influencer" with a failed "influencer mother" to others; and some like me follow the fate of Prince Harry and have outmost sympathies, because the story is going on since a long time and became part of out lives. And who knows, what Harry means to others?

The thing is, there are many people who got it worse than Harry, and they don't complain about it as much as he does. I think some people simply don't like it when people with privileges complains about their problems, especially when those problems seems trivial to most people.

Stuart Heritage has written an opinion piece on The Times, mocking Harry and Meghan's awards list by laying down the possible medals that the Sussexes should give out instead. Stuart Heritage mainly writes for The Guardian, followed by The Times and occasionally/rarely in The Telegraph. I'm not quite sure about his political position, but I think he's similar to Patrick Maguire (formerly at New Statesman, now The Times). The article is behind the paywall and I can only read up to the first award category.

Who will make Meghan and Harry’s honours list?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/who-will-make-meghan-and-harrys-honours-list-vvkmq0bjt

This is not the first time Stuart Heritage has mocked Harry & Meghan.

They dont have to "miss" Harry.. he is still giving journalists plenty to comment on and critiicise...

It was a joke... kinda like that article. ;)

They will mock and criticize them breathing. That’s not really saying much. This is a big example as they writing silly articles about standard trademarking practices. But ya know.. gotta fill those columns.

The thing is, there are many people who got it worse than Harry, and they don't complain about it as much as he does. I think some people simply don't like it when people with privileges complains about their problems, especially when those problems seems trivial to most people.

The thing is that what seems trivial to one person can be a dire situation for another. Having privileges doesn't mean life is any easier. The poem "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson comes to mind.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44982/richard-cory

Right now both Harry and Meghan are striving to establish themselves as private individuals that were once part of a royal institution and are trying to be relevant in today's world. I do think this "awards" thing kind of goes along the lines of "The Duke of Edinburgh Award" and "The Diana Award" schemes and perhaps it will be a good thing but I don't see it gaining traction and attention as much as the already established ones do. I don't think Harry and Meghan have retained the drawing power they once held as working royals. I hope to be proven wrong though.

Harry and Meghan have already denied this awards rumor created by the tabloids. They put out a statement yesterday.

Thanks, ACO. I must have missed that statement. ?

Harry and Meghan have already denied this awards rumor created by the tabloids. They put out a statement yesterday.

I think what made it believable was that they did that weird stunt where they tried to compete with the royals for their wreath laying ceremony. Bringing a photographer and dressing up was ridiculous. They should have just done some sort of volunteer work on November 11 if they wanted to go there.

Well that's not accurate:
We look forward to sharing more about Archewell's work in the weeks ahead but any suggestion that it is intended to rival the UK honours list is false," said the couple in the statement.

That's not a denial that any awards would not be given, but simply a denial that it was not going to "rival the UK honours list"

also Harry In January to fake Greta:

"Small steps or giving out prizes doesn't make a difference these days."

The jokes keep writing themselves. This is why I keep following, they need to hire ELF maybe he can still salvage their reputation, I mean he did it for Harry, before Harry screwed it up.

Well that's not accurate:

That's not a denial that any awards would not be given, but simply a denial that it was not going to "rival the UK honours list"

also Harry In January to fake Greta:

"Small steps or giving out prizes doesn't make a difference these days."

The jokes keep writing themselves. This is why I keep following, they need to hire ELF maybe he can still salvage their reputation, I mean he did it for Harry, before Harry screwed it up.

That's precisely what I wrote a few days ago, I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers ELF's approach to PR instead of Sunshine Sachs' way.

IMO, the biggest problem in all of this is not the team around them, it is the Principals themselves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ueens-honors-list/ar-BB1bI1ZA?ocid=uxbndlbing

Toya Holness, press secretary for Archewell, told Newsweek: "We look forward to sharing more about Archewell's work in the weeks ahead but any suggestion that it is intended to rival the U.K. honors list is false.

"Furthermore, the trademark application has followed the normal course of business for the U.S. Trademark process and any suggestion otherwise is also false."

A Sussex source told Newsweek there currently are no awards planned and the move simply was designed to protect a range of future options.

They said it was part of the routine procedure in filing trademark applications.

The source said: "Could Archewell at some point in the not too distant future give out grants to another organization, could it give out prizes?

"Of course it could. But we haven't got that in the planning. If you're creating a new philanthropic organization, to rule that out would be silly but it's not something that is in development."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ueens-honors-list/ar-BB1bI1ZA?ocid=uxbndlbing

Toya Holness, press secretary for Archewell, told Newsweek: "We look forward to sharing more about Archewell's work in the weeks ahead but any suggestion that it is intended to rival the U.K. honors list is false.

"Furthermore, the trademark application has followed the normal course of business for the U.S. Trademark process and any suggestion otherwise is also false."

A Sussex source told Newsweek there currently are no awards planned and the move simply was designed to protect a range of future options.

They said it was part of the routine procedure in filing trademark applications.

The source said: "Could Archewell at some point in the not too distant future give out grants to another organization, could it give out prizes?

"Of course it could. But we haven't got that in the planning. If you're creating a new philanthropic organization, to rule that out would be silly but it's not something that is in development."

Still not a denial that no awards would be given just that it would not "rival the U.K. honors list"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom