The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaming poor people for the corona virus when you're driving around in your SUV, living in your huge mansion and flying all over the world is galling. Whoever is advising them to say this needs to be fired.

Blaming poor people for the corona virus when you're driving around in your SUV, living in your huge mansion and flying all over the world is galling. Whoever is advising them to say this needs to be fired.

Nobody's advising them. Its probable that this is why they wanted to get out of the RF, because in the RF, they couldn't be semi political, they coud not easily just "sound off" without at least being told off a bit for going political, and they'd have to adhere to govt policy guidelines and use speech writers who were able to do this. but as "former working royals" there are no restrictions on them. they can write their own speeches, take any positon they like, within reason and use any advisers or friends that they like...

Nobody's advising them. Its probable that this is why they wanted to get out of the RF, because in the RF, they couldn't be semi political, they coud not easily just "sound off" without at least being told off a bit for going political, and they'd have to adhere to govt policy guidelines and use speech writers who were able to do this. but as "former working royals" there are no restrictions on them. they can write their own speeches, take any positon they like, within reason and use any advisers or friends that they like...

I thought they were using those fancy Sunshine Sachs PR folks? I’m sure their approach to PR is a world away from the PR of someone advising the royal family.

I thought they were using those fancy Sunshine Sachs PR folks? I’m sure their approach to PR is a world away from the PR of someone advising the royal family.
I dont know but advice for the RF is to keep away from too much personal information, that you dont have to share your private life with the public (except in very small doses) and that the emphasis should be on doing a good job, quietly, not putting yourself forward, supporting the queen and the institution, not promoting yourself, and when you are doing charity engagements to focus on the charity, not yourself...
Whereas for a "power couple" which the Sussexes seem to want to be, there is more of an emphasis on the couple themsleves, sharing information about their private life to interest the public.. and publicising what you do in a way that would be thought a bit improper for a working royal couple...

When I read the raindrops speech, I was immediately reminded of Sarah, Duchess of York, and her words in March.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...n-powerful-message-coronavirus-mother-nature/

That's what she wrote on Instagram:

"Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms… Like the spoilt children we are. She gave us time and she gave us warnings. She was so patient with us. She gave us fire and floods, she tried to warn us but in the end she took back control. She has sent us to our rooms and when she is finished clearing up our mess. She will let us out to play again. How will we use this time? Xxxx."

I didn't like the anthropomorphic imagery and even the cutesy factor of "Mother Nature" then and still don't like it. We humans have caused damage to nature and the environment, yes, it's true. All of us have used energy, wasted resources etc.

I'm really allergic to people like Harry preaching to others now. Just look at the huge house they're living in. What a waste of energy.

And nature was not created for humans to feel good in.

This speech is simply full of silly metaphors. He really has no idea what he's talking about. His only message is "I care, Meghan cares, why don't you?" Well, a lot of people care.

What Harry is missing is a good education at university where they could have taught him to research facts, become knowledgeable about a topic, form an opinion of his own and change it when necessary. Too many people talk about climate change but don't know anything about it.

Reading a speech like that is really intellectually painful. A whole bouquet of cliches. He doesn't sound like himself.

I don't want to compare him to others who speak competently about such matters, or initiate projects to change something. He certainly believes that this is him speaking from his heart. But it's hollow.

And I'm sorry to sound a bit cynical - if a PR counselor told him to go for the topic that most people will agree with him, they'd probably hit on a) compassion and b) the environment.

I can't express myself well enough in English but I'm very ambivalent about this new "enlightened" Prince Harry.

I used to love it in the '80s and '90s. It wasn't nasty and spiteful, just satirical in a funny-ish way. Prime Minister John Major's puppet was coloured grey, because people used to say how grey and boring he was. There used to be an advert with dancing milk bottles, and they recreated the advert showing vodka bottles dancing up to Boris Yeltsin. That sort of thing.

When I read the raindrops speech, I was immediately reminded of Sarah, Duchess of York, and her words in March.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...n-powerful-message-coronavirus-mother-nature/

"Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms… Like the spoilt children we are. She gave us time and she gave us warnings. She was so patient with us. She gave us fire and floods, she tried to warn us but in the end she took back control. She has sent us to our rooms and when she is finished clearing up our mess. She will let us out to play again. How will we use this time? Xxxx."

I didn't like the anthropomorphic imagery and even the cutesy factor of "Mother Nature" then and still don't like it. We humans have caused damage to nature and the environment, yes, it's true. All of us have used energy, wasted resources etc.

I'm really allergic to people like Harry preaching to others now. Just look at the huge house they're living in. What a waste of energy.

This speech is simply full of silly metaphors. He really has no idea what he's talking about. His only message is "I care, Meghan cares, why don't you?" Well, a lot of people care.

What Harry is missing is a good education at university where they could have taught him to research facts, become knowledgeable about a topic, form an opinion of his own and change it when necessary. Too many people talk about climate change but don't know anything about it.

Reading a speech like that is really intellectually painful. A whole bouquet of cliches. He doesn't sound like himself.

I don't want to compare him to others who speak competently about such matters, or initiate projects to change something. He certainly believes that this is him speaking from his heart. But it's hollow.

And I'm sorry to sound a bit cynical - if a PR counselor told him to go for the topic that most people will agree with him, they'd probably hit on a) compassion and b) the environment.

I can't express myself well enough in English but I'm very ambivalent about this new "enlightened" Prince Harry.

You expressed yourself very well, actually - I agree with everything you said. I really loathe the message that nature is punishing humanity. It proves that Harry, Meghan and anyone else who espouses this theory has no clue about how our planet works at all - no knowledge of plate tectonics, Vulcanism, etc....It’s just a loathsome motion that innocents are being sacrificed...

I suspect Harry’s knowledge of this subject is shallow, which is why he has to resort to platitudes and borrowing others’ quotes. He just comes off as hectoring and judgmental.

Harry certainly didn't rely on a PR firm to pick conservation as an interest others had in order to talk on the subject. He was helping to launch WaterBear, a Netflix channel that will encompass all matters to do with conservation, displacement of wildlife etc. when he spoke a few days ago.

He and William have long had an interest in conservation, following their father Prince Charles. I remember them appearing with him as teenagers and speaking about the dangers to wildlife. Harry spent a lot of time in Africa helping with the rehoming of displaced herds of elephants. He's patron of Parks Africa.

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harry-malawi-working-african-parks

Do you think that other members of the Royal family speak off the cuff about conservation (or anything else) as if they are experts? They are not. Neither Charles nor William studied the relevant subjects at university to be able to do so. They both employ large numbers of aides to write their speeches and to vet them before hand.

Harry has his heart in Africa where he's seen for himself what displacement of habitat for wildlife has done to the environment. And he speaks from the heart about it.

Last edited:

Sadly, I know many who have graduated from college and even hold high degrees in medical and environment fields.. and seemed to have not gotten that memo (ie of the part I bolded).

As I grow older, I have come to realize that while a university degree can be a great teaching tool (if you are willing to use the resources available to you), what is more important in life is simple basic common sense and critical thinking, add in the ability to introspect yourself, and gain some maturity.

No matter how many degrees one holds, if you do not have those abilities (even if you are in the art fields) you will always sound tone deaf and stupid.
Some have those from birth (old soul people) some experience stuff in life that brings them there.

and from one ESL (english as second language) to another, your english is wonderful!

Last edited:
I don’t give a darn whether Harry went to school for a specific education; what I do care about is how he expresses himself. As far as I’m concerned, Charles and William sound authentic and passionate; they speak like they normally do, not spouting purple prose and metaphors. They are relatable, and they don’t lecture people. Harry sounds like a phony, like someone wrote those words for him so that he’s sound impressive. Well, he doesn’t. His beliefs are sincere, I don’t doubt it, but he rings hollow...

Yes. Science says that. We get that already! But Harry should still show some sensitivity and compassion in his speeches.Parents With sick children don’t need to be given his hypocrisy and preaching right now. That’s the point many of us are trying to make.

Harry says earlier in the interview that the past twelve months have been a universally tough year for everyone. That is an acknowledgement. He is a compassionate man and no hypocrite.

And I don't believe that members of the general public, whether they have sick family members or not, pore over and dissect every single syllable in everything that a Royal says.

The tabloid media and SM certainly does with Harry and Meghan, however. There were critical remarks made about them both in July and August this year when they were privately just recovering from Meghan's miscarriage that, if they took notice of it all, were every bit as hurtful as anything Harry might say about the environment to someone with family sorrows.

Last edited:
Its also important to remember, IMO, that Harry and Meghan have a staff and if with all the money they are spending on PR people, advisors etc you would think they could find someone to check through what they plan to say before hand.
Everything M&H and most other royals says is dissected, the difference is most other royals speak very carefully or very generally so as to avoid upset. That is a skill H&M would do well to learn IMO, as it doesn't have to stop them doing and supporting good things.

Making comments like this, at a time like this when you are a living a millionaire lifestyle, is rather insensitive - even if they are scientifically true - doesn't make them the 'right' thing to say. Imagine if we all just spoke what was scientifically true - we would be right but I reckon we'd have no friends or people who love or respect us because we all have to moderate our comments by thinking about sensitivity and perception.

There is a HUGE difference between the below and Harry quoting someone (and therefore supporting that theory) that nature is punishing humanity for our sins. Humans have harmed Earth to a devastating and perhaps irreparable degree, but pandemics, etc.. that occur as a result are just that...results of, NOT punishments for, our behavior.

It’s easy to blame a bat, but is our wanton destruction of nature and the traditional habitats of species responsible for the pandemic gripping the world right now? Experts concur that the loss of biodiversity, mainly because of humans, is directly connected to the spread of deadly diseases like COVID-19. The only way to prevent these new diseases from ravaging us is to preserve intact our ecosystems and biodiversity, they caution.

Its also important to remember, IMO, that Harry and Meghan have a staff and if with all the money they are spending on PR people, advisors etc you would think they could find someone to check through what they plan to say before hand.
Everything M&H and most other royals says is dissected, the difference is most other royals speak very carefully or very generally so as to avoid upset. That is a skill H&M would do well to learn IMO, as it doesn't have to stop them doing and supporting good things.

Making comments like this, at a time like this when you are a living a millionaire lifestyle, is rather insensitive - even if they are scientifically true - doesn't make them the 'right' thing to say. Imagine if we all just spoke what was scientifically true - we would be right but I reckon we'd have no friends or people who love or respect us because we all have to moderate our comments by thinking about sensitivity and perception.

The issue is, saying that this pandemic is a punishment for human behavior is the furthest thing from science. Science would say likely that our behavior has encouraged the spread of viruses, etc.., not this almost Biblical proclamation that humanity is being ravaged because of our mistakes/bad choices, etc..

I agree with your first point, though I wouldn’t expect any changes. H and M hired people to make them look and sound good - and to their PR people, they do. Sunshine Sachs, etc.., it seems to me, don’t care about tailoring their words, etc.. to each individual client. In other words, H and M might just as well be John and Jane Doe, and they’d be saying the same things. That’s why H doesn’t sound like himself.

Judging by their speeches and interviews They don’t care All that much about personal messages that show real empathy for the public. It’s all buzz words and the current hot button issue of this week And being “Woke”

A hand waved “Yeah , it’s been a tough year for everyone” is tantamount to nothing.

Yeah, it's all buzz words and 'woke' sentiments with Harry, all right, the man who spontaneously lay down beside a paralysed woman in a crowd of people during a tour of Brazil so they could have a conversation, who inaugurated Invictus and who has raised millions for Sentebale. Maimed vets said they wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for him. But...No compassion there!

He and Meghan are merely cardboard cut-outs and butts for criticism by others. That's their role in life. These cardboard cutouts have no feelings so they are there to be endlessly criticised by the media, especially tabloids, and in social media for ever more, and none of it ever causes any hurt whatsoever to this couple.

You can believe they are paragons and faultless but I don’t:)

Since they got to this country I have seen little to recommend them and I have a right to my opinion

The couple is free to mostly disappear from the media but they themselves choose to put themselves forward time and time again. That's their choice not something inevitable.

Most of the criticism they receive is self-inflicted (although I am sure some of it is way out of order but the criticism here at TRF imho is not of that order). They chose to leave the 'firm' (but build on their profile they solely have based on the BRF) to 'make a professional income' by showcasing what they think is important without reckoning with the responsibility that comes from working within the royal system. They are doing it in away that many people perceive as contradictory; especially when they keep telling people that they need to be do-ers instead of say-ers, while they themselves are examples of being primarily say-ers instead of do-ers (given their lifestyle).

Last edited:
You can believe they are paragons and faultless but I don’t:)

Since they got to this country I have seen little to recommend them and I have a right to my opinion

I have never said they were faultless or paragons, either of them. Do I believe that they have deserved all the waves of hatred, criticism and negativity they have received from media and SM in the three years since their engagement and especially since they had the temerity to leave the ranks of working royals? No, I don't.

I think you are exaggerating somewhat. As I remember most People adored Harry because he is Diana’s son, the young handsome Soldier prince And Meghan Because she was going to be a fresh new face and voice in the Windsor’s to add some modernity. But they have turned many people off with their actions, choices and words. People have a right to question and criticize them if they wish. As the wise person above said they bring it mostly upon themselves.

The Tabloid media, internet racists and trolls will always be nasty, crude and make up things. That’s universal to all people who are in the limelight, esp Royal women ... the way they talk about Camilla is Vile, outrageous for instance. Harry and Meghan have 3 choices: shrug it off as trash like the majority of stars do, get out of the spotlight and internet completely or wage a pointless war and give them more ammunition So the cycle continues. But it will never change.

Yeah, it's all buzz words and 'woke' sentiments with Harry, all right, the man who spontaneously lay down beside a paralysed woman in a crowd of people during a tour of Brazil so they could have a conversation, who inaugurated Invictus and who has raised millions for Sentebale. Maimed vets said they wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for him. But...No compassion there!

He and Meghan are merely cardboard cut-outs and butts for criticism by others. That's their role in life. These cardboard cutouts have no feelings so they are there to be endlessly criticised by the media, especially tabloids, and in social media for ever more, and none of it ever causes any hurt whatsoever to this couple.

For some reason, you never use the quote function, so I assume you want to leave us guessing as to whom you are responding to.

In case you’re responding to ME, I love how you so conveniently ignored where I have said that Harry’s beliefs are sincere, genuine. I’ve said it more than once in fact, lol. I NEVER said he didn’t have compassion. He expresses himself extremely poorly, period - I’ve made it perfectly clear what my issue with that is.

Your last paragraph is ...I don’t even know where to begin. People have every right to criticize H and M, and why you are taking it so incredibly personally, I have no idea. Public figures have to learn to take criticism - something they haven’t learned. You act as if they are the only ones to have to deal with this...Harry’s father and step mother have dealt with far, far worse. So have others in the family.

Judging by their speeches and interviews They don’t care All that much about personal messages that show real empathy for the public. It’s all buzz words and the current hot button issue of this week And being “Woke”

A hand waved “Yeah , it’s been a tough year for everyone” is tantamount to nothing.

Sorry. That was what I was responding to.

[.....]

Meghan had at least three to four negative tabloid articles Per Day during her pregnancy and the birth of Archie, that is for over a year, as well as afterwards. As well as constant smears on SM since dating Harry.

And I react as I do because I happen to like have liked Harry since his teens. I hoped his wife would at least get an even break during her early marriage from British tabloids and SM but no, didn't happen did it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. That was what I was responding to.

[.....]

Meghan had at least three to four negative tabloid articles Per Day during her pregnancy and the birth of Archie, that is for over a year, as well as afterwards. As well as constant smears on SM since dating Harry.

And I react as I do because I happen to like have liked Harry since his teens. I hoped his wife would at least get an even break during her early marriage from British tabloids and SM but no, didn't happen did it?

Believe it or not, I loved Harry before all this - and I still think he’s essentially a good guy even though I don’t like a lot of what he says or has done. I also supported and defended Meghan vociferously in this forum before the Africa interview - and I liked her then; I thought she was wonderful. I also defended her letter in The NY Times - I do think people were unfair to her there. So for me, I believe I am unbiased - my criticism of them is not based on personal dislike or hate.

That’s true about no SM back then, but the media was brutal - and people still hate them, so much so that Charles’ Twitter account has had to close off comments to those they follow. I do think H and M get real hate as well - beyond mere criticism; some of the things people say are awful. Sadly people can hide behind their computer...

I really do think Harry is sincere in his desire to help - like you said, it’s something he learned from his father (and mother, too, in terms of helping people). I just think he doesn’t sound like himself - his PR people aren’t helping, IMO

Social media With it’s racist trolls and lying pap tabloids is toxic stuff that no one should take to heart ...If a tabloid rag says Elvis works at diner in Jersey or the Queen is going to die any minute Should we take that seriously? Those publications dog every celebrity, esp women. This couple are not special in that regard

If the Sussex’s were being slammed And in national newspapers or Times or Life then we could talk. But they aren’t. The serious press still mostly is speaks well of them. Adores them still in many cases.

[.....]

There is a HUGE difference between the below and Harry quoting someone (and therefore supporting that theory) that nature is punishing humanity for our sins. Humans have harmed Earth to a devastating and perhaps irreparable degree, but pandemics, etc.. that occur as a result are just that...results of, NOT punishments for, our behavior.

Just adding the link to where the quote you used is from, because it does matter.
https://en.unesco.org/courier/news-views-online/pandemics-humans-are-culprits
The article was written by:
"John Vidal

Journalist, author, and former environment editor of The Guardian newspaper"

I really do think Harry is sincere in his desire to help - like you said, it’s something he learned from his father (and mother, too, in terms of helping people). I just think he doesn’t sound like himself - his PR people aren’t helping, IMO
Harry may have a sincere desire to help but at the end of the day, whatever he does and says, is to earn money/build their brand.
That's why he has PR people who assist and spread the message.
And that's why there will always be criticism. Harry lectures other people for personal gain, Charles may lecture people too but not for personal gain.
And Harry has been caught countless times preaching water and drinking wine.

It will all continue because with leaving the RF, Harry became just an ordinary celebrity who has to stay relevant by gracing the public with his virtues, in Harry's case speeches that hopefully interest somebody and public charity.

There were people much more talented and clever who tried to reinvent the wheel regarding press coverage, so good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom