The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The royals on the balcony at the Cenotaph are at an official event, acting in support of the monarch. They’re present as part of the British Royal Family and are photographed as such. Harry and Meghan were acting as private individuals at the cemetery but they paid a photographer to come along and take pictures of them trying their best to visually represent the official nature of the British ceremony.

It would be completely different if Harry had come back to participate in the official ceremony. Or if the British government had asked him to represent the Queen at some sort of official ceremony in the US. But all these latest pictures show are two people (who could not have made it more clear that traditional, official royal life wasn’t for them) representing no one but themselves.

The current senior working royals will occasionally show activities of a “private” nature with the understanding that they’re still acting as public entities, and then only as relatively rare occurrences that always dovetail with their official duties.
Its a bit like 2 people who worked in a restaurant and who had walked out of their jobs, coming back and dressing in their waiting staff uniforms and going round the place again serving meals, when the thing is they dont work there any more. THe RF are photographed at teh Cenotaph because it is part of their jobs to be seen laying wreaths and representing the nation in mourning for those who have died. They need to be seen publicly working because that is the nature of their job.. and they recognise that as public figures there will be some interest in their private activities as well, so they usually allow some photographs at private events like holiday. Harry claimed in last November that he couldn't stand the public nature of his job, the way that cameras clicked when following him at work or at play, and now he's deliberately creating a job where none exists and getting a cameraman to come along and record it..

How would you guys feel if Harry and Meghan attended the Inauguration and inaugural Ball?

Just throwing it out there.

If they are attending as audience members (not as a special guest on stage or in "VIP front seat"), I do not mind. This would apply to any US presidents (Republican or Democrat). In other words, if they are within the crowds and not stand out, I don't have much to say.

Problems will arise if they are specially introduced in the audience or sit in VIP area (on/off stage) as HRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. This would bring in the accusation of using their title and royal connections into politics.

How would you guys feel if Harry and Meghan attended the Inauguration and inaugural Ball?

I would have no issue with it. Why should anyone?

Three words. Not going to happen. :D

Three words. Not going to happen. [emoji3]
Aren't there several different inauguration balls? If one of them invited them why shouldn't they be able to go.

I don't know who's idea it was but I can't lay the blame entire on their new PR company, there are still a lot of warning bells that should have rung with Harry and in cases like this the clients also have a say in which photos get released. He is also aware of how spin doctors work because the BRF do use them. This isn't the first time something like this has happen (see other PR "royal visits") but it is the most annoying.

I don't know who's advising them or what they're thinking, but I wish they could get some good advice from someone. This latest stunt comes very soon after Harry's unwise comments about American politics.

I do not think it is right to blame the PR firm they are working with. The PR firm may come up with the ideas, but at the end of the day, it is Harry and Meghan who are the "Principals". It is their decision, and the buck stops there. In this case, Sunshine Sachs could well have come up with the idea as they may not understand the UK sensitivity around Remembrance Sunday, but Harry ought to, and should have refused to do the photoshoot.

I know I have said it before, but I think H&M lack the maturity and judgement required. They have made several missteps along the way, which I do not want to necessarily list out. But I do think calm and collected thought and clarity of where they are trying to get to would help them tremendously.

I would have no issue with it. Why should anyone?

Depends on how one gets to these balls? I dont know enough to make a comment, if they are mainly for the winning team then its possible that if there ARE Inaugartion balls this time (and they're not put off because of Covid,) if Harry were to go, he'd be perceived as a Democrat supporter. Tha'ts fine if he really is a private person, married to an American and living in the USA. But if he's sitll keeping one foot inside the BRF, it is more problematic. I dont know if the balls are for the winning side or if they're just celebrity events.....

Last edited:
I do not think it is right to blame the PR firm they are working with. The PR firm may come up with the ideas, but at the end of the day, it is Harry and Meghan who are the "Principals". It is their decision, and the buck stops there. In this case, Sunshine Sachs could well have come up with the idea as they may not understand the UK sensitivity around Remembrance Sunday, but Harry ought to, and should have refused to do the photoshoot.

I know I have said it before, but I think H&M lack the maturity and judgement required. They have made several missteps along the way, which I do not want to necessarily list out. But I do think calm and collected thought and clarity of where they are trying to get to would help them tremendously.

Im not sure an American PR firm would come up iwth the idea of finding Commonwelath solders buried in teh US and suggesting that H and Meg are photographed at their graves on Rem Sunday. I think that was H's idea... possibly with some good motives of remembering the dead. I'll even say that maybe he felt he should do something to mark Rem Sunday and Meghan thought that if they do that, they should be seen doing it... and yes regardless of who came up iwht the idea, Meg and Harry are the ones who make the ulitimate decision on how they are portrayed.

I wouldn't like it - and I'm not one of those who hates everything they do. But it would be them getting involved in politics and wanting "half in and half out" as they seem to they should stay away from politics.

Aren't there several different inauguration balls? If one of them invited them why shouldn't they be able to go.

I know Obama had the most expensive and elaborate inauguration in history. I believe he had ten. But now that everyone mentions it - covid. And supposedly his first act in office is going to be to try to defeat covid. So I'd say there won't be any inauguration balls it would look bad if a lot of people were gathering this January. So I'll change my answer to saying the question is moot - there won't be an inauguration ball. We'll see if I'm right.

I know Obama had the most expensive and elaborate inauguration in history. I believe he had ten. But now that everyone mentions it - covid. And supposedly his first act in office is going to be to try to defeat covid. So I'd say there won't be any inauguration balls it would look bad if a lot of people were gathering this January. So I'll change my answer to saying the question is moot - there won't be an inauguration ball. We'll see if I'm right.

I suppose there may be some sort of celebration but its not going to be a lot of balls, but assuming that there are still inaugural balls in the future, like in 4 years time, and Harry goes ot one I just wouldnt be surprised. I'd say its all on a par with what Meghan wants for their lifestyle now... and he's going along with it...

Cant really see what's to loathe about it. If it is a political event, its kind of waht I'd expect Harry and Meg to do.. if it is a glitzy celeb event, the same. They've done more insensitiive things

They wouldn't and they won't (they're really not important enough). I'm guessing inauguration is gonna hella scaled back this time because of covid with clear request to not come to DC or step out unless absolutely necessary, as well as the ball (if the ball would even happen!- I can see it being canceling this year)

They wouldn't and they won't (they're really not important enough). I'm guessing inauguration is gonna hella scaled back this time because of covid with clear request to not come to DC or step out unless absolutely necessary, as well as the ball (if the ball would even happen!- I can see it being canceling this year)
but who gets to go to tehm? Eeven if they are cancelled this time, there are other years and Im sure they'll be back next election. But is it for the victorious party? Or for anyone?

I doubt there'll be much of a celebration this year; if there is, it will be scaled down.
But if the Sussexes were to attend one in the future, I wouldn't care.

I've never paid attention to who attends these things, so why start?

The official Inaugural balls are organized by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, and are largely funded by donors. Aside from big political names (members of the new government, etc.) they are a way of thanking major contributors, so unless the Sussexes donated a lot of money to the President's campaign or are affiliated with one of the groups involved, they are unlikely to get an invitation to one of the official balls. There are usually multiple unofficial balls, so it is possible they might make an appearance at one of those, depending on who they know.

They still seem to be trying to keep one foot in the royal family (keeping and continuing to use their titles, still keeping a few patronages for now, etc.) so I don’t think that would be appropriate since they are still TECHNICALLY representing the UK. If they totally renounced the titles and truly lived as private citizens, that would be a different story. Do I think they would attend if they were invited? Absolutely- it’s exactly the kind of event that would give them the attention they seem to crave.

That said, I suspect the inauguration will be VERY scaled-back this year, and I wonder if there will even be inaugural balls or other big events. So I don’t think they’ll be attending either way.

The official Inaugural balls are organized by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, and are largely funded by donors. Aside from big political names (members of the new government, etc.) they are a way of thanking major contributors, so unless the Sussexes donated a lot of money to the President's campaign or are affiliated with one of the groups involved, they are unlikely to get an invitation to one of the official balls. There are usually multiple unofficial balls, so it is possible they might make an appearance at one of those, depending on who they know.

You are absolutely correct. These Balls are basically "thank you" events and the President and his wife will attend each one for a few minutes, a small speech and a bit of dancing. The ones donating the largest amount will have the best tables, etc. It has been done this way for decades and a chance for political big-wigs to party and pat each other backs in lovely clothes. Really a fun time for all attending. Shame but this virus will definitely put a damper on all these events but I am sure, once isolations are lifted in future, all will go back to the political norm. JMO

Then Meg and Harry aren't likely to be invited *(if there were balls) unless they have made donations or been large supporters of Biden

Cant really see what's to loathe about it. If it is a political event, its kind of waht I'd expect Harry and Meg to do.. if it is a glitzy celeb event, the same. They've done more insensitiive things

I’m not asking anyone to agree ..I‘m rather annoyed with them, and I don’t want them having anything to do with any events celebrating the inauguration of our new President. That said, it’s moot, because as others have said, I don’t believe there will be anything like we usually see.

Last edited:
but who gets to go to tehm? Eeven if they are cancelled this time, there are other years and Im sure they'll be back next election. But is it for the victorious party? Or for anyone?

I have been to 3 and invited to 5. Lots of people are invited to the inauguration (actual invites) the majority going to supporters and of course you do have various types of famous people. You don't necessarily have to be a major donor (You do need money to buy tickets to the various events) but often are very active in local politics. Also if you have an "in" You have more opportunity to go to more exclusive events. You have the opportunity to purchase tickets to various other functions. You will not see many from the opposition at these events, why would one pay to go to events celebrating someone you do not support. There are always multiple balls. There wouldn't be a venue large enough for guest from all 50 states and territories so they are grouped and that is why there are usually about 10. The President and First Lady and Vice President and Spouse make a brief appearance at each. The tickets are not cheap and tbh are really not that much fun.

I doubt there will be balls or maybe 1 with social distancing or even virtual. I don't expect many events at all because the weather will force more events indoors. Not 100% sure the actual swearing in will happen as usual 1984 comes to mind if was so cold they cancelled outdoor swearing in.Reagan took the oath in the White House instead.

Last edited:
I personally find nothing funny about “Megxit” since it was coined long before they exited by the very vocally racist side of social media hoping Harry would divorce Meghan. And by that I truly mean a very ugly side who used gross terms like the “N word”. So the UK media using it just cemented thoughts for many...

I'm with you. I personally used the term "Sussexit" to avoid implying that the situation was all Meghan's fault--that is, the fault of someone considered to be at best an outsider and at worst...well, I don't even want to say it.

I think people read too much into the chosen word. Megxit was chosen because it's a funny take on the word Brexit, which in turn is funny because you say the word "exit". It wasn't created to be a jab at anyone- it was created because it was funny in the context of a current event. People are going to "blame" who they are going to blame or say what they will about particular people regardless of the word.

This is an opinion forum. None of us holds THE TRUTH in illuminated letters in our grasp. And everyone has an opinion on Harry and Meghan and their actions regarding Remembrance Day. Some people don't agree with them and some do. Some can't stand their actions, some understand them. That's life, surely.

Well yes of course but some things are so obviously ill judged that they need to be condemned for their crassness. I'd call that as close to truth as dammit but I take your point.

T
It's one of the biggest days in the UK's collective consciousness it's more than just Veterans Day, the closest we come to a shared sacred day really

Yes absolutely. Very well put.:flowers:

This is why people will feel very strongly about this.

I personally find nothing funny about “Megxit” since it was coined long before they exited by the very vocally racist side of social media hoping Harry would divorce Meghan. And by that I truly mean a very ugly side who used gross terms like the “N word”. So the UK media using it just cemented thoughts for many...

Well that seems a bit of a leap but it does comes across as very misogynistic. The duke I'm sure is capable of making his own decisions.

Last edited:
I think people read too much into the chosen word. Megxit was chosen because it's a funny take on the word Brexit, which in turn is funny because you say the word "exit". It wasn't created to be a jab at anyone- it was created because it was funny in the context of a current event. People are going to "blame" who they are going to blame or say what they will about particular people regardless of the word.

Except it was long used by a particular group for years in a nasty way about Meghan. The Sun, who are claiming to coin it, knew that as they used to quote them plenty and even did a whole article about those particular trolls awhile back. So yeah when I see it it just confirms what I think of that publication and many others that use it. To each their own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom