The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The leaking of the story about Harry being denied a wreath at the Cenotaph seems to have the grubby paws of Sunshine Sachs all over it.

I totally agree but SS have totally misjudged the situation if they think this will result in sympathy for Harry. No doubt in the USA this will be seen as the nasty old UK being mean to him again but in Britain it actually makes him look worse. He severely compromised Britain when he intervened in the US election under the guise of now being a private citizen. Does he not realise that if he was to be officially represented at any national event in the UK it would appear that the royal family and the UK government are sanctioning him and his wife in their behaviour? He wanted out so he has to adjust to being out even more so because he and Meghan seem intent in shooting their mouths off about all sorts of things the royal family cannot be associated with.

Last edited:
I am sure that Prince Harry would be able to find a wreath and attend a Veteran's Day service on Wednesday 11/11/20 to honor the service of American Veterans.

I wonder whether there would be a remembrance Sunday service by the British community in the larger LA area. Our church in Peru had one each year and it was the best attended service each year (I think it even topped Christmas Eve).

What bothers me is Harry's have the cake and eat it attitude. He gave up on the UK and moved to the US where he is now a resident. But, at the same time, he wants to retain his military appointments in the UK and take part in ceremonial events like the Remembrance Day service, albeit by proxy.

I think his motivation was genuinely sincere, but I don’t think Harry seems to understand what it meant when he divorced himself from the BRF as far as being a working Royal. I don’t think he understands what it meant to pack up and leave the UK, settling permanently in another country.
Assuming he truly meant to honor these heroically brave veterans who gave their lives, he can still do so here in America. Our Veteran’s Day is on November 11, and he can visit a veteran’s cemetery ..or honor the dead any way he sees fit. If he really intends to make a life in America, he might want to start not trying to live with one foot in the UK. I’m not saying that he can’t still love his native land, that he can’t still think of it as his home in his heart...but if he keeps doing things like this, it’s going to be hard for him to ever have a real home.

I cant see why he couldn't send a wreath privately to be placed there other than at the Days ceremonial wreath laying.

This must hurt Harry deeply. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.

He chose to do things his and Meghan's way instead of working in harmony with the Queen-so this price he must pay

I cant see why he couldn't send a wreath privately to be placed there other than at the Days ceremonial wreath laying.

Is that an option for the general public as well? It seemed it all was fenced off. So, if that would be an option for all private citizens, I guess he can ask a friend to do so.

Is that an option for the general public as well? It seemed it all was fenced off. So, if that would be an option for all private citizens, I guess he can ask a friend to do so.
its not fenced off, its in the middle of Whitehall. Obviously during the Remembance Ceremonies there are restrictions.. but if what he wanted to do was to lay a wreath, Im sure someone could have done it on some other day in Novmeber...

I placed a wreath at the unknow solider :) It was s strange moment. I couldn't afford to go home to my grandfathers funeral. So I brought a bouquet of flowers and went to Westminster to have my own private service. I lit a candle or two, said a prayer and then placed my bouquet on the tomb of the unknown solider. The guards or ushers didn't seem to mind at all. But then a group of Canadian tourists thought I was doing something official and stood around for a moment of silence. It was very odd, but I was very thankful for the small gesture.

its not fenced off, its in the middle of Whitehall. Obviously during the Remembance Ceremonies there are restrictions.. but if what he wanted to do was to lay a wreath, Im sure someone could have done it on some other day in Novmeber...

I saw pictures of fences around the Cenograph that were taken after the ceremony. Am I right in thinking it is in the middle of a road? So, it would be hard and odd for someone to place a wreath once it is cleared for traffic again? How long will the wreaths remain?

It is currently fenced off as BLM tried to burn the flag or damage the statue during the week. The fence was removed for today - unsure what they will do tonight.
Usually the move all the wreath up on the plinth area and traffics flows normally around it. Then new wreaths replace them on the 11th. However there is normally a lot more wrath's.

It is currently fenced off as BLM tried to burn the flag or damage the statue during the week. The fence was removed for today - unsure what they will do tonight.
Usually the move all the wreath up on the plinth area and traffics flows normally around it. Then new wreaths replace them on the 11th. However there is normally a lot more wrath's.

Anyway if a member of the RF wanted to have a wreath placed there, I am sure it would be done for them.. on a private basis....

I wonder whether there would be a remembrance Sunday service by the British community in the larger LA area. Our church in Peru had one each year and it was the best attended service each year (I think it even topped Christmas Eve).

TBH I don't know for certain if there is an annual one, but it does sound like an excellent idea. Unfortunately due to COVID 19 Los Angeles Co. is still in the purple tier, so attendance at religious services is limited now.

Honestly I believe that Prince Harry should he wish to attend one on Veteran's Day,should consider attending one in Santa Barbara or Ventura counties as both are in the lower red tier and there might be a little more flexibility.

A reminder that this is not the place for conspiracy theories or comparisons. Any further posts along those lines will be removed.

With travel restrictions I don't think it would have been advisable for Harry to travel. There are ceremonies for US veterans that Harry could attend or contribute to veterans causes.

"Poignantly, the cemetery the couple chose to visit is opposite the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System building, which was used by Meghan’s grandfather, Alvin Ragland, after he served in the U.S. Coast Guard."

Lovely.

How nice. So many veterans need help, they are ill and can't get medicine they need at times and some are homeless. It would be great if Harry and Meghan can welcome veterans to an event like sharing the holidays with them. I do see it as something to publicize to call attention to the needs of veterans and set up a charity fund.

I think that this was a very kind and respectable gesture, and I have no issues with them paying their respects. I also recognize that they're in between a rock and a hard place; if they HADN'T done anything to mark the day they would have been criticized for ignoring veterans and the fallen, which would be a really bad look seeing as how important veterans' issues are and always have been to Harry.

But I also get the criticism for again bringing along a photographer so they can publicize it. I also think that the rock and the hard place they find themselves between is their own doing. If they had faded into the background so they could live the private life they claim they so desperately wanted, I don't think it would be an issue. But they seem to be grasping for every opportunity to stay in the public eye, and I think are still doing their best to create their own version of the half-in, half-out scenario.

It is a rock and a hard place. The thing is they want to earn their keep and if they are not seen then they would be criticized for "doing nothing". If they do charity work they should be working and calling attention to it, they would not be able to "distance" themselves from it. And Harry has long been involved already with Invictus and there are other opportunities to help veterans. I would recommend choosing a few charities and doing substantial work with each of them. I don't think that they meant by "private life" that they would just retreat and never be seen. I think they can hope for a relatively private life but not completely private.

I think that this was a very kind and respectable gesture, and I have no issues with them paying their respects. I also recognize that they're in between a rock and a hard place; if they HADN'T done anything to mark the day they would have been criticized for ignoring veterans and the fallen, which would be a really bad look seeing as how important veterans' issues are and always have been to Harry.

But I also get the criticism for again bringing along a photographer so they can publicize it. I also think that the rock and the hard place they find themselves between is their own doing. If they had faded into the background so they could live the private life they claim they so desperately wanted, I don't think it would be an issue. But they seem to be grasping for every opportunity to stay in the public eye, and I think are still doing their best to create their own version of the half-in, half-out scenario.

That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere and the gesture is actually heartfelt, but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!

Last edited:
That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!
I dont see why he couldn't have gone to a cemetery or memorial to lay a wreath or flowers.. and done it privately. Or if tehere were any veterans memorail events to just go to them as private citizens....What is the point of taking a photographer along?

That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere and the gesture is actually heartfelt, but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!

It really does feel almost like they're trying to create their own little American Royal Family. Doing the exact same thing that the official RF is doing. But if you think about, that seems a bit like what they wanted when they were still official working royals- splitting off into their own household and their own royal foundation, etc.

I had hoped to avoid this but I just can't believe that such a day has been sullied by this publicity seeking individual.

Can I just point out that the focus of Remembrance Day is the service at the cenotaph in the presence of the monarch.

The duke knew that this would be a distraction from that. He didn't have to be photographed doing this & he certainly didn't have to have it published on Remembrance Day.

Utterly contemptible. He really is too bloody much.

Last edited:
LMAO At them trying to upstage the Royal Family's remembrance. Why would they need to hire PR to take a photo of them? So much for wanting privacy.

I really do want to like Harry & Meghan but Goodness.

It really does feel almost like they're trying to create their own little American Royal Family. Doing the exact same thing that the official RF is doing. But if you think about, that seems a bit like what they wanted when they were still official working royals- splitting off into their own household and their own royal foundation, etc.

It happens to be leaked earlier today that he was refused a wreath at the UK service, then tonight we see photographs of them attending a private ceremony.
I thought he hated cameras,
All very sad.

Really if they wanted to do this, they could have done this in private, they wanted all the PR to show it to the world1 this is an act, nothing more than that.

I had hoped to avoid this but I just can't believe that such a day has been sullied by this publicity seeking individual.

Can I just point out that the focus of Remembrance Day is the service at the cenotaph in the presence of the monarch.

The duke knew that this would be a distraction from that. He didn't have to be photographed doing this & he certainly didn't have to have it published on Remembrance Day.

Utterly contemptible. He really is too bloody much.

I know first hand about veterans so I am not going to say anything was ruined. The more attention is paid to veterans is a good thing for me.

That said. The announcement of the Biden Win really put full attention on that all day yesterday and is headline news today. In the US Veterans day is on November 11.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom