The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"There's also an exclusive interview with First Lady Melania Trump, in which she talks about her humble beginnings and her husband's Presidency, as well as a shoot with Contributing Editor Anaïs Gallagher and her boyfriend Julius Roberts, the dashing farmer behind the wildly popular @telltalefood Instagram account, in which they talk about how they got through lockdown."​

I remember when Anais Gallagher was born. The fact that she's old enough to be a contributing editor and live with a boyfriend makes me feel about 100!

There was a lot of talk about Harry and Meghan when they first jumped ship, but, with everything else that's going on now, I don't think too many people are that bothered about them. There's certainly no way that Parliament's going to take time out from dealing with the pandemic to remove their royal titles.

I remember when Anais Gallagher was born. The fact that she's old enough to be a contributing editor and live with a boyfriend makes me feel about 100!

There was a lot of talk about Harry and Meghan when they first jumped ship, but, with everything else that's going on now, I don't think too many people are that bothered about them. There's certainly no way that Parliament's going to take time out from dealing with the pandemic to remove their royal titles.

And maybe all they have to do is wait Alison H.

The number of articles coming out saying that the Sussexes will relinquish their Royal titles themselves has stepped up.

If Meghan is serious about a political career, to give up her Duchess title would be a grand launching move.

And better PR to give the titles up, than have them taken.

TIme will tell and a lot ahead.

Will they travel to the UK for Christmas, will the Duchess take the stand in London in January, is she making a documentary about her media battles, will the couple appear at next year's official events, will there be a primetime tell-all interview and on and on and on.

So many possibilities, and the only ones making the decisions are Meghan and Harry.

The Tatler poll has been picked up by Channel 5 News. Simon Vigar (Royal correspondent of Channel 5 news) is the reporter/commentator for the video in this tweet. He also interviewed the residence of Windsor on the street.

Channel 5 News @5_News
Prince Harry and Meghan are facing criticism after it emerged their tour of Africa cost nearly £250,000.
As they continue to ruffle some feathers in America, a new poll suggests two-thirds of Brits think they should lose their royal titles.
@simonvigar5 | #5News
2:23 AM · Sep 26, 2020·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut​

Unfortunately, I can only watched the first minute of the video. It's probably because I am not from the UK.

Last edited:
Would be very interesting to see the explanation of removing the Sussexes titles while maintaining others. 2021 shall be fascinating.

Would be very interesting to see the explanation of removing the Sussexes titles while maintaining others. 2021 shall be fascinating.

We know that only Parliament can remove the Sussex’s titles, but would they? Under what conditions would they consider it necessary? It is a slippery slope for sure.

If I were to guess, it would be because that the US lodged a complaint with the foreign office and the UK government “urged” the Queen to do so. It is extremely believable that someone as thin skinned as Trump would do so.

And why would the US President do that? Anything goes sideways it must be his fault???? wow did not know that.

Let's not speculate about the removal of the Sussex titles, whether or not a US representative will request it, whether or not Meghan is interested in running for US President, etc.

If it ANY of the above happens we will open a thread to discuss the topic.

But until that event happens.....

I doubt they'll travel to the UK for Christmas. Anyone arriving from the US has to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. And we're only allowed to meet up in groups of six, or one household if you have more than six people in your household, and, in many areas, no visitors are allowed at all unless it's in a public open space. Up to 30 people can attend church services, but it'd seem unwise for the Queen to do so, given her age. I don't think we'll be getting too many pictures from Sandringham this year :-( .

Last edited:
I doubt they'll travel to the UK for Christmas. Anyone arriving from the US has to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. And we're only allowed to meet up in groups of six, or one household if you have more than six people in your household, and, in many areas, no visitors are allowed at all unless it's in a public open space. Up to 30 people can attend church services, but it'd seem unwise for the Queen to do so, given her age. I don't think we'll be getting too many pictures from Sandringham this year :-( .

And I don't think Archie is going to physically meet his paternal cousins (George, Charlotte, Louis, Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena and Baby Brooksbank, due in early 2021) anytime soon. What is even sadder is that Harry and Eugenie were close growing up and would love to see their children :ermm:

Last edited:
Could I ask a question of our contributors from the USA, I believe Meghan made an appearance on America's got Talent to support an act. Would this appearance have taken place say 4 years ago, and if so would it have received any publicity.

Could I ask a question of our contributors from the USA, I believe Meghan made an appearance on America's got Talent to support an act. Would this appearance have taken place say 4 years ago, and if so would it have received any publicity.

If you are asking if Meghan was well enough known 4 years ago to make a special appearance on AGT? The answer would be no. Though they do have celebrities make special appearances on shows like this plenty.

If you are asking if a royal appeared on the show 4 years ago would it have got such publicity? Yes.

Are you asking if it would have been okay for a royal to do four years ago?

We have to remember Harry and Meghan are no longer working royals. They aren't held to the same guidelines any more. They have the same freedom as someone like Peter and Zara to appear on tv or host podcasts and such.

But they aren't the first royals (senior working royals) to appear on tv either. Kate and William did the Christmas special last year.

I know it was for charity but who can forget the 'Grand Knockout tournament' of the 1980's. If senior royals can do that, Meghan making a quick appearance on AGT to support a contestant like Archie, is not shocking.

Not only Andrew, Edward and Anne of all people shocked me, but even the Duke of Gloucester was one of the 4 dukes who served as judges.

Camilla, Sophie and Louise all also were on Strictly Come Dancing. Camilla a judge. Sophie and daughter guests in audience (this year I believe). Harry also attended X Factor years ago.

So yeah the royals have all done stuff like this before. Though as for Meghan? The “Archie” connection was pretty obvious to why it was done, but if you asking if she would have done a guest spot? Sure. She had on other shows like “Chopped” and such.

Would she got the global attention? Probably not but that’s life and hers has changed. Much like everyone’s has due to circumstances.

Camilla, Sophie and Louise all also were on Strictly Come Dancing. Camilla a judge. Sophie and daughter guests in audience (this year I believe). Harry also attended X Factor years ago.

So yeah the royals have all done stuff like this before. Though as for Meghan? The “Archie” connection was pretty obvious to why it was done, but if you asking if she would have done a guest spot? Sure. She had on other shows like “Chopped” and such.

Would she got the global attention? Probably not but that’s life and hers has changed. Much like everyone’s has due to circumstances.

Sophie and Louise appear as audience members at late November 2018 (Series 16 Week 10), after Louise' 15th birthday on 8th November. They made a cameo appearance in the audience after the first couple's performance.

Sophie and Lady Louise attended the show in late November, and cheered on contestants as they clapped along with huge smiles across their faces after Greame Swann and Oti Mabuse opened the night with their Quickstep. Sophie looked beautiful for the special occasion in a simple black dress, while Louise looked pretty in a purple lace dress.​

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...dy-louise-reason-strictly-come-dancing-visit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strictly_Come_Dancing_(series_16)#Week_10

On a side note: I can't believe Lady Louise is turning 17 this year!

Mike Tindall is the co-host of the podcast House of Rugby on JOE UK, along with James Haskell. I do think he got this opportunity, because he is a former Rugby Union player rather than the husband of the Queen's granddaughter.

Mike Tindall has also competed The Jump, which is a "British television series that followed celebrities as they tried to master various winter sports including skeleton, bobsleigh, snowskates, ski cross, and giant slalom". On most occasions, he was introduced as a former Rugby Union player. Apparently, he did ask for the Queen's permission.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jump-mike-tindall-had-permission-4738071

He has also appear on an episode A league of Their Own, which is a "British sports-based comedy panel game" broadcasted on sky. I did watch a video with just Mike talking. Although there was some discussion on the Royal Family, as a side note, sport is still the main topic.

Mike Tindall and Meghan are obviously different, despite both marry into the Royal family. Zara is not titled (she is not Lady Zara Tindall, had her father not decline an Earldom) and never once a Working Royal. Prince Harry is titled and was at one point expected to be full-time working royal, until they stepped down.

If the Mirror article is true, I think it's great that Mike Tindall did ask the queen for permission to appear as a celebrity on The Jump, even though he is not really using his royal connection to put on TV. He is more known for his rugby career.

In hindsight, I wish Royal Family members whether they are senior working or junior private citizens ask The Queen's permission or opinions before they sign up to appear on TV or other media.

Last edited:

Unlikely. But AGT is nothing like it used to be, still fairly big.
To be fair the singer, Archie, looked confused as to who this woman was.
and besides the usual suspects I haven't seen the US media covering this.
so it did not create the attraction she was probably aiming for.

probably because she was supposed to support the singer and the charity he is involved with, yet did what Meghan does best- make it about her rather than the cause.

This was a pure PR appearance, as most of of her appearances are, so that people won't forget she exists. It's actually interesting, and very sad, to watch someone who due to her royal connection has received near A-list status is still using C-list/influencer style PR tactics.

@ACO
Meghan was on Chopped Junior back in 2016 - as google tells me (also, I didn't even remember chopped had a junior show), i'm guessing SS or an agent managed to get her this gig- probably due to her blog. it is exactly the kind of low rated reality show c-list actors/influencers/basic bloggers try to get on to get their names out there - it rarely works.

Last edited:
Since the question was directed at American contributors, I'm guessing the question wasn't aimed at the royal angle (whether a royal would have done this 4 years ago) but whether Meghan was well enough known here four years ago to make such an appearance.

The answer, as my fellow Americans have said, is certainly not. I'm guessing her appearance on Chopped Junior was due to connections from her relationship with Cory Vitiello.

Since the question was directed at American contributors, I'm guessing the question wasn't aimed at the royal angle (whether a royal would have done this 4 years ago) but whether Meghan was well enough known here four years ago to make such an appearance.

The answer, as my fellow Americans have said, is certainly not. I'm guessing her appearance on Chopped Junior was due to connections from her relationship with Cory Vitiello.

You are correct, it wasn't aimed at the royal angle.

Last edited:
Although this link is to the Daily Mail, the original source is "The Sunday Times".

Royal aides have spoken to "The Sunday Times" about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their promises to The Queen.

Her Majesty was keeping Prince Harry's positions in the UK open for him in case he returned.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...olated-terms-deal-Queen-say-senior-aides.html

Thank you Sun Lion for the Daily Mail article. For anyone interested, here is the original Sunday Times article, that is behind a paywall: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-and-meghan-urged-to-drop-confusing-royal-titles-s2dcf7m7q

I agree with the "royal aid" that Harry and Meghan has broken the agreement "upholding the values of the Queen" by getting into the "muddy waters" of US presidential elections. Here is an extract from the Daily Mail article:
Members of the royal family are supposed to be politically neutral, and under the Sandringham accord - agreed in March when the pair quit their royal duties - the Sussexes vowed that 'everything they do will uphold the values of Her Majesty'.

However, according to The Sunday Times, royal aides have said that the couple's comments last week have broken their promise from earlier this year.

'The [royal] family are all wringing their hands, thinking: where is this going and does this abide by the deal to uphold the values of the Queen? The feeling is it's a violation of the agreement,' one source told the newspaper.

The sources say that if the agreement is deemed to have been violated, Prince Harry's chances of resuming his connections to the Royal Marines and other military posts he is said to hold dear could be under threat.

The arrangement the Sussexes have with the royal family will be reviewed after a year by The Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge.​

I also agree that there is going to be conflicts and issues if Trump does get re-elected and enters the UK for State Visit. This is unless Harry gets "completely airbrushed", which is not likely, because Harry is always the Queen's grandson and her heir's son.
Buckingham palace sough to distance itself from their remarks, with royal sources saying that the monarch had been embarrassed by the comments, asking what the Queen is supposed to say should Donald Trump have another presidential visit.

'If Trump is re-elected and makes another visit here, what is the Queen supposed to say when her grandson and his wife have effectively campaigned against him?' said a source.

A spokesman for the Sussexes said: 'The duke's message is not in reference to any specific political party or candidate, but is instead a call for decency in how we engage with each other.'​

On a side note, the next article with the heading "Do Meghan Markle and Prince Harry actually WANT to be stripped of their titles?" is written by the columnist Sarah Vine. She is the wife of Rt Hon. Michael Gove MP, who is currently the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office. I do sometimes wonder does Mr. Gove have the same view (in private) of Harry and Meghan? However, the Government and Cabinet has not been involved in these matters, because there are more important things to worry about.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think that either Harry or Meghan stopped to even think things through and realize that there may be repercussions from making the statements that they have "dipping their little toes" into US politics.

The *did* promise to uphold the "values of the Queen" and the Queen values her family being apolitical. Even without being "working royals", with Trump's remarks, it clearly shows that members of the Queen's family have caused reasons for friction in the future should Trump win the presidency again in November.

This couple needs to sit down and weigh consequences of any actions they may take before jumping on a bandwagon and opening their mouths.

There's no indication that Harry wants to return to full time duties in the UK. He appears to be settled in California, thanks.

What is more, we don't know exactly what the aides said to the Sunday Times before the Fail put its own special twist on the situation (after all they are being sued by Meghan.) And we heard how in the Trump press conference how the Daily Mail correspondent lied to the President, stating that Meghan had endorsed Biden, when she hadn't. That's the sort of viability that newspaper has!

Nor do we know whether the aides at BP, not exactly supporters and friends of the Sussexes, are reflecting the views of the Queen, Harry's grandmother, or his father, the Prince of Wales, about the remarks on the Time show.

And if, by some chance, they ARE reflecting anger from the two royals most deeply concerned, what exactly are they going to do to 'punish' Harry and Meghan?

* Cut them off from Charles's money? That's already irrelevant. He's no longer funding them. While Charles was funding the couple they had a hold over them. That is now gone.

* Insist that they pay back the renovations money for Frogmore Cottage? Already been paid. Pull the Cottage away after they've paid for the renovations? Extremely doubtful.

* Pull Harry's dukedom? Then he will simply revert back to being Prince Harry, a styling by which he has been known all his life. And Meghan will become Princess Henry. Those stylings are better known in the US than Duke and Duchess anyway. And the Press may well ask why another Duke in the Royal Family retains his title.

*Uncouple Harry completely from the Royal Family with an announcement that he is to no longer to be regarded as a son of the POW and grandson of the Queen? Extremely unlikely, and the same questions could be asked of another Duke as to why that hasn't been done.

* Send a Royal envoy over to Montecito to blast both of them personally? Extremely unlikely and what if the envoy was refused entry to their home? Embarrassing? And zoom calls have limited impact.

What is more if Meghan and Harry feel that they did not violate the agreement and that the Palace is holding them to account unfairly, then that opens up the possibility of the couple doing a tell all TV interview in the US about their past as royals, for mega bucks, and probably a book or two with photos as well. These would sell all over the world.

If there is enough resentment and anger there, then Harry may very well tell all he knows about his parents' marriage for instance and the way his mother was treated, as well as what has gone on before and since he married.

That's over thirty years of recollections, good and more importantly, bad. Meghan can add her impressions of officials and the RF too.

It would finish his relationships within the family for good no doubt about it , but Harry might well react in that way if he feels he and his wife are being unfairly treated as private persons in another country. Harry may feel that game is worth the candle. And unlike Diana's interview with Martin Bashir, that won't be sorted with a divorce and NDA.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think that either Harry or Meghan stopped to even think things through and realize that there may be repercussions from making the statements that they have "dipping their little toes" into US politics.

The *did* promise to uphold the "values of the Queen" and the Queen values her family being apolitical. Even without being "working royals", with Trump's remarks, it clearly shows that members of the Queen's family have caused reasons for friction in the future should Trump win the presidency again in November.

This couple needs to sit down and weigh consequences of any actions they may take before jumping on a bandwagon and opening their mouths.

IMO, they understand the consequences of their actions better than you and I. They have chosen to go down the “woke” celebrities path and don’t really care how it reflects on the BRF and the UK.

Thank you Sun Lion for the Daily Mail article. For anyone interested, here is the original Sunday Times article, that is behind a paywall: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-and-meghan-urged-to-drop-confusing-royal-titles-s2dcf7m7q

I agree with the "royal aid" that Harry and Meghan has broken the agreement "upholding the values of the Queen" by getting into the "muddy waters" of US presidential elections. Here is an extract from the Daily Mail article:
Members of the royal family are supposed to be politically neutral, and under the Sandringham accord - agreed in March when the pair quit their royal duties - the Sussexes vowed that 'everything they do will uphold the values of Her Majesty'.

However, according to The Sunday Times, royal aides have said that the couple's comments last week have broken their promise from earlier this year.

'The [royal] family are all wringing their hands, thinking: where is this going and does this abide by the deal to uphold the values of the Queen? The feeling is it's a violation of the agreement,' one source told the newspaper.

The sources say that if the agreement is deemed to have been violated, Prince Harry's chances of resuming his connections to the Royal Marines and other military posts he is said to hold dear could be under threat.

The arrangement the Sussexes have with the royal family will be reviewed after a year by The Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge.​

I also agree that there is going to be conflicts and issues if Trump does get re-elected and enters the UK for State Visit. This is unless Harry gets "completely airbrushed", which is not likely, because Harry is always the Queen's grandson and her heir's son.
Buckingham palace sough to distance itself from their remarks, with royal sources saying that the monarch had been embarrassed by the comments, asking what the Queen is supposed to say should Donald Trump have another presidential visit.

'If Trump is re-elected and makes another visit here, what is the Queen supposed to say when her grandson and his wife have effectively campaigned against him?' said a source.

A spokesman for the Sussexes said: 'The duke's message is not in reference to any specific political party or candidate, but is instead a call for decency in how we engage with each other.'​

On a side note, the next article with the heading "Do Meghan Markle and Prince Harry actually WANT to be stripped of their titles?" is written by the columnist Sarah Vine. She is the wife of Rt Hon. Michael Gove MP, who is currently the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office. I do sometimes wonder does Mr. Gove have the same view (in private) of Harry and Meghan? However, the Government and Cabinet has not been involved in these matters, because there are more important things to worry about.

A different article AC21091968 than the one linked by you above I think.

"The Australian" newspaper has reproduced the UK Times article in today's Sunday paper.

A report by Roya Nikkhah and Tim Shipman.

Some quotes from a named friend of the Duke of Edinburgh.

A balanced article with pros and cons re the recent "voting" video by the couple.

I think you can open it and read it once - like I did - but once closed it can’t be re-opened unless you sign up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, too many people want to politicise anything and everything now. It's amazing how many people are using the coronavirus pandemic to try to score political points, for example. But it doesn't have to be like that. If Harry and Meghan want to get involved with "woke" causes, they can do so without sticking their noses into the election. But that doesn't seem to be what they want.

What irritates the most for me is the undertones of some articles (like a recent one from Hugo Vickers in the Telegraph) wants Harry to abandon Meghan and Archie and come back to the UK. Do they really think hurting a child is a good look for the House of Windsor? Divorcing Meghan without cause - unless it's adultery - Harry would never recover from that. It would be like when Charles hooking up with Camilla on Diana's watch. Camilla still hasn't fully recovered from the homewrecker image otherwise she would be called Princess of Wales now.

What irritates the most for me is the undertones of some articles (like a recent one from Hugo Vickers in the Telegraph) wants Harry to abandon Meghan and Archie and come back to the UK. Do they really think hurting a child is a good look for the House of Windsor? Divorcing Meghan without cause - unless it's adultery - Harry would never recover from that. It would be like when Charles hooking up with Camilla on Diana's watch. Camilla still hasn't fully recovered from the homewrecker image otherwise she would be called Princess of Wales now.

I don't know why anyone thinks Prince Harry will return to his old UK life Madame Verseau - or that he should return.

By all accounts he was not happy in that for many years.

I see he and Meghan staying in California and following an evermore diverging path from his brother...and being happy in it.

Once the monies were repaid, and all dependence on money from the POW changed, it was obvious they were walking away from any ' controls' or restrictions placed on them, and fair enough.
They have already done the interview opening up their issues, the book, well there are mixed thoughts on that one.
AS for keeping true to the Queen, anybody who ready the website statement when they left IMO would be under no illusions that they were going to hold to that.

I have said this before but the people in the UK do not care about them anymore , the latest video talking about voting, my friends and I didn't even discuss. When I think how we sat round the television all day watching them with our wedding hats on and drinking champagne ( sparkling wine to be honest ) it is quite sad.

I do not think they will take the titles away. If they wanted true independence and freedom they would not use them but that is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Due to covid a face to face Sandringham meeting might not be possible. What would there be to discuss, they have achieved financial independence, they do not want to do royal duties.
End of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom