The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Because most people on this forum are very sceptical about certain sources, especially tabloids (Mail, Mirror, Express, Sun) or other opinion pieces . Even a poll conducted by certain newspaper publication is considered bias due to political or social leaning of the readers and columnists.

On the subject of Meghan choice of life and how it may impact the British public, she still mostly uses the Duchess of Sussex title. The name of Dukedom of Sussex is based on the historic county of Sussex, which now includes West Sussex and East Sussex. There are some resident of Sussex who do not want Harry and Meghan dragging their name of their county (in a negative light) into America, whether in politics or other controversial topics. And don't get me started on the Remembrance Day cemetery tribute

This could potentially explain why in a YouGov poll that 54% of UK adults who lived in rest of South (including West Sussex and East Sussex), that is outside London believed that Harry and Meghan should be stripped of their royal title. The other possible reason is that generally speaking, the South West and South East (outside London) are more supportive of the monarchy compare to other parts of the UK.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_3
That's all fair comment. Very well put.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Because most people on this forum are very sceptical about certain sources, especially tabloids (Mail, Mirror, Express, Sun) or other opinion pieces . Even a poll conducted by certain newspaper publication is considered bias due to political or social leaning of the readers and columnists.

On the subject of Meghan choice of life and how it may impact the British public, she still mostly uses the Duchess of Sussex title. The name of Dukedom of Sussex is based on the historic county of Sussex, which now includes West Sussex and East Sussex. There are some resident of Sussex who do not want Harry and Meghan dragging their name of their county (in a negative light) into America, whether in politics or other controversial topics. And don't get me started on the Remembrance Day cemetery tribute

This could potentially explain why in a YouGov poll that 54% of UK adults who lived in rest of South (including West Sussex and East Sussex), that is outside London believed that Harry and Meghan should be stripped of their royal title. The other possible reason is that generally speaking, the South West and South East (outside London) are more supportive of the monarchy compare to other parts of the UK…
Interesting…

I'm guilty of only choosing to "waste my time on" Harry and Meghan (the persons themselves), their endeavors, charities, etc., so I'm a little bit in the dark when it comes to any of the Royal historical nuances…but I can appreciate learning something new…

"The more you know!"

Old 12-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Majesty

If most posters on the Forum are (in my view quite rightly) 'very sceptical' of stories from notorious British tabloids, which routinely infer falsehoods and print untrue stories, how is it that immediately any tale regarding the Sussexes appears in any of them it is seized on and discussed avidly by posters who dislike the couple, especially on certain threads like this one?
Old 12-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Just because a member posts a criticism it does not mean that they dislike the couple.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjovie View Post
Interesting…

I'm guilty of only choosing to "waste my time on" Harry and Meghan (the persons themselves), their endeavors, charities, etc., so I'm a little bit in the dark when it comes to any of the Royal historical nuances…but I can appreciate learning something new…

"The more you know!"

Well if you have a look back through the forums you'll find lots of interesting discussion from many of us on here about the Sussexes. For the most part well informed & respectful of difference.

More interesting than individual members of the royal family from my perspective is the history, culture & politics associated with the British Monarchy. Which is so important to many of us here on our rainy little island.

I agree that it's good to learn something new & maybe end up seeing things from a different perspective. Possibly! Enjoy your time on TRF.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Just because a member posts a criticism it does not mean that they dislike the couple.
Yes indeed. It's about behaviour not personalities.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well this poll from a tabloïd can be dismissed then !
Case closed, we can go back to our lives !
so Meghan IS very popular? isn't very popular??
Old 12-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
so Meghan IS very popular? isn't very popular??
To summarize : it depends on the source, and who shares it
Old 12-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Majesty

That poll wasn't originally from a tabloid, actually. And, with regard to all the other untruths and hurtful inferences printed about this couple in tabloid newspapers I hope that posters here and everywhere else will please consider the source of these stories before leaping to instant conclusions, and criticism.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That poll wasn't originally from a tabloid, actually. And, with regard to all the other untruths and hurtful inferences printed about this couple in tabloid newspapers I hope that posters here and everywhere else will please consider the source of these stories before leaping to conclusions, and criticism.
You're so right ! And Onbuy is of course a stellar and impeccable source concerning polls ...
Old 12-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Whatever the provenance of OnBuy it was you who stated that the online service was a tabloid, which it isn't and has never been.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

That's the rub surely. The data from this study is not based on any credible methodology as compared to something like yougov.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary?
Old 12-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

A number of posts have been deleted or edited as they were either off topic, involved bickering and point scoring between members, or added nothing to the discussion. Any further posts along those lines will also be deleted.

In addition, I suggest that all members take a few minutes to look at the moderator/administrator instructions on the first page of this thread to review what topics are not permitted.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That poll wasn't originally from a tabloid, actually. And, with regard to all the other untruths and hurtful inferences printed about this couple in tabloid newspapers I hope that posters here and everywhere else will please consider the source of these stories before leaping to instant conclusions, and criticism.
Quite correct, also with regards other members of the family, we should not jump to conclusions and put our own spin on the ' stories'.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Quite correct, also with regards other members of the family, we should not jump to conclusions and put our own spin on the ' stories'.
Very true. Not underestimate but also overestimate the current role of the Sussexes.
It works both ways.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Agreed!
No to jumping to conclusions or putting spins on stories
The Sussexes do have a lot in store for 2021; certainly looking forward to future discussions…

So yes to FAIR and BALANCED posts and discussions
Old 12-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjovie View Post
Agreed!
No to jumping to conclusions or putting spins on stories
The Sussexes do have a lot in store for 2021; certainly looking forward to future discussions…

So yes to FAIR and BALANCED posts and discussions
I agree but on all threads, not just the Sussex threads.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree but on all threads, not just the Sussex threads.
Well yes indeed.

And as for spin, well we could start with nonsense polls. Whatever they say. Plenty of those in the tabloids unfortunately.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

Questions can be so easily loaded on polls.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Administrator

And on that note, let's move back to the topic of the thread which is to discuss NEWS and CURRENT EVENTS, not a debate about one another, what we post or the merits (or lack thereof) of Polls.