The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1901  
Old 12-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.
rather extraordinary that Meghan's apparnetly more popular than the queen
__________________

  #1902  
Old 12-11-2020, 05:21 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.
Very well said. "Worldwide" survey means nothing to our royal family.
__________________

  #1903  
Old 12-11-2020, 05:30 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 20,378
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337306381800660992
__________________
#ΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΑΣΦΑΛΕΙΣ! #StaySafe! and the 2021!!
  #1904  
Old 12-11-2020, 06:56 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,379
This was a lovely thought of Harry's and I'm sure it was much appreciated. Sick children can't gather together for awards etc in this climate anyway, but this charity has always had a special place in Harry's heart. His interaction with the families was always wonderfully natural.
  #1905  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:18 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.
I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!
  #1906  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,606
Agree - they often pick the winner of the American election when they are yet to make an impact rather then someone who made an impact already.
I was recently informed that Time magazine barely has a readership and that it has less influence then TikTock so no hard feelings.
  #1907  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.
Did anyone really think they were going to be candidates - or even in the top 500?

I think the choice is a fabulous and inspired one.
  #1908  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,606
I wonder if any of Harry or Meghan's charities has written to the Palace to have their patron changed. I hope they don't wait for March and then have a run for it. They are probably all waiting for the March decisions.

I was asked if the charities are getting annoyed been used by M&H as transport for their PR yet. Essentially the royals are using the charities for themselves when it should really be the other way around. Then again - any press is good press.
  #1909  
Old 12-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!

No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.
  #1910  
Old 12-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.
There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..
  #1911  
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..

They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.
  #1912  
Old 12-11-2020, 09:17 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.
Say what you will about Hitler, and there is ALOT of not good things to say (which is something that I as a Jew am naturally aware of) but he did had:
real impact on people's lives (good and bad - my grandparents can attest to the horrific impact he had on their lives), inspired (He was a master speech giver people would not have followed him if he would not have inspired them) and in most cases people with real depth (one can of course debate as to what depth Hitler had)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.
I mean, Hitler, People guilty of terrorism, Stalin, Putin,... These are people who made an impact, a bad one, but one none the less.
  #1913  
Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
It would have made more sense to me to have the 'essential workers' or the 'care workers' win; because it was Covid-19 that characterized this year worldwide -and they made the difference in many lives- much more so than the American elections.
  #1914  
Old 12-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13...yal-worldwide/
This is surely a joke:

"OnBuy collated the results from data sourced from across the globe, via YouGov rankings, Google search volumes, Instagram and the Royal calendar, was normalised and weighted to establish a popularity score percentage for each of the British Royals."

What sort of bizarre methodology is that? What does normalised & weighted mean in this context?

Who are OnBuy?

In other news a straw poll of yaks have declared the Queen of Sheba to be the world's most popular royal based on tea leaf readings, twitter & youtube views.

Yougov is a serious polling company whereas this OnBuy is patently not. Now, if there is credible data from other countries on their views of individual members of the BRF then I would be interested to know.
  #1915  
Old 12-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337306381800660992
Look at their surprise when they recognize him, very cool

Think it's appearances like these that are really Harry's strength! (and he looks good..i know, i'm shallow)

PS. also trying to get this thread back on subject
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
  #1916  
Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337306381800660992
What an absolutely lovely appearance by Harry! The children seemed so surprised and excited. This is the sort of think that I think Harry is at his best at- no trying to sell anything, no "buzzwords" or jargon, just a very genuine and approachable bloke who is able to meet the kids where they're at and connect on that level. Well done!
  #1917  
Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.
Two of the nominees Fauci and Cuomo were recognized because of their work re: Covid. That overshadows a lot. And Trump was nominated. ANd Black Lives Matter. Major issues this year. I had no thought of Harry and Meghan possibly being nominated.
  #1918  
Old 12-11-2020, 04:13 PM
adjovie's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: New Jersey, United States
Posts: 34
The most popular royal worldwide!

"Meghan Markle is the most popular royal worldwide, according to huge study."

https://twitter.com/womanandhome/sta...75339701448704

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/ro...to-huge-study/

…obviously
  #1919  
Old 12-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13...yal-worldwide/
Lol, nice try
Seems that the Sun is not such a controversial source after all.
Depending on the subject i presume ...
  #1920  
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjovie View Post
"Meghan Markle is the most popular royal worldwide, according to huge study."

https://twitter.com/womanandhome/sta...75339701448704

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/ro...to-huge-study/

…obviously


They sourced: yougov (okay, but how? it has consistently showed her as one of the lest favorite), Google searches (nope!- first of all: unpopular infamous and controversial people tends to have higher google results than non problematic people; also if you don't know who the person is you are more likely to search for their name- as happened in 2017 when everyone went "Meghan Markle who?" upon the engagement announcement), and some ebay ripoff site called onbuy (so glad I was not drinking my wine while reading this my laptop would have gotten wet)


In other words ladies and gentlemen: this is what a paid PR puff article looks like!
How so interesting that this article is being released this weekend, mere days after the tour and the "magnificent 7+Queen" pictures.

Sometimes the best PR line of defense is to do nothing!
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021 JessRulz Current Events Archive 874 03-07-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names biography birth britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness coronation daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs japan jewellery kensington palace książ castle list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen louise royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex suthida taiwan thai royal family united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×