The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.
rather extraordinary that Meghan's apparnetly more popular than the queen

Old 12-11-2020, 05:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I'm not sure a worldwide survey has much relevance to support in the UK (the threads title). But I suppose if your trying to develop a global brand for commercial purposes it might be useful, especially if those rumors of a reality show are correct.
Very well said. "Worldwide" survey means nothing to our royal family.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337306381800660992
Old 12-11-2020, 06:56 AM
Majesty

This was a lovely thought of Harry's and I'm sure it was much appreciated. Sick children can't gather together for awards etc in this climate anyway, but this charity has always had a special place in Harry's heart. His interaction with the families was always wonderfully natural.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.
I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 AM
Royal Highness

Agree - they often pick the winner of the American election when they are yet to make an impact rather then someone who made an impact already.
I was recently informed that Time magazine barely has a readership and that it has less influence then TikTock so no hard feelings.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Since I put up the original post I thought I'd add that they have picked the four finalists for Time's Person of The Year and Harry and Meghan weren't among them. I think it was both presidential candidates which happens most years, BLM and Corona workers. I wasn't surprised - it's about who makes the most news not who is the most popular. With all that was going on Harry and Meghan weren't in the news as much as other subjects.
Did anyone really think they were going to be candidates - or even in the top 500?

I think the choice is a fabulous and inspired one.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Royal Highness

I wonder if any of Harry or Meghan's charities has written to the Palace to have their patron changed. I hope they don't wait for March and then have a run for it. They are probably all waiting for the March decisions.

I was asked if the charities are getting annoyed been used by M&H as transport for their PR yet. Essentially the royals are using the charities for themselves when it should really be the other way around. Then again - any press is good press.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I think it is less about who is in the News and more about people who make real impact on people's lives, people who inspire and in most cases people with real depth.
Neither of those fit Meghan. Because in someways they did make news, but they don't really hold much of the above.

I'm actually upset Corona workers did not win, I am very pro Biden and Harris and the positive change they will make, but.. this was not the usual election year, essential workers deserved the honor!

No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
No. People like Hitler who didn't inspire and had no positive impact have won in the past. Time themselves say it has nothing to do with inspiration and is all about who made the news. They have for decades. I figured either Biden or Trump would win. They made the headlines the most. Though I think the corona workers should have won, too.
There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There's making the news for solid if awful reasons and making the news because you gave up being royal to become a celebrity and move abroad..

They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Say what you will about Hitler, and there is ALOT of not good things to say (which is something that I as a Jew am naturally aware of) but he did had:
real impact on people's lives (good and bad - my grandparents can attest to the horrific impact he had on their lives), inspired (He was a master speech giver people would not have followed him if he would not have inspired them) and in most cases people with real depth (one can of course debate as to what depth Hitler had)

Quote:
They've actually had quite a few awful people win. Stalin won one year. People guilty of terrorism have won. They themselves say it has nothing to do with being good, just being in the headlines most. So it has nothing to do with being good.
I mean, Hitler, People guilty of terrorism, Stalin, Putin,... These are people who made an impact, a bad one, but one none the less.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Majesty

It would have made more sense to me to have the 'essential workers' or the 'care workers' win; because it was Covid-19 that characterized this year worldwide -and they made the difference in many lives- much more so than the American elections.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13...yal-worldwide/
This is surely a joke:

"OnBuy collated the results from data sourced from across the globe, via YouGov rankings, Google search volumes, Instagram and the Royal calendar, was normalised and weighted to establish a popularity score percentage for each of the British Royals."

What sort of bizarre methodology is that? What does normalised & weighted mean in this context?

Who are OnBuy?

In other news a straw poll of yaks have declared the Queen of Sheba to be the world's most popular royal based on tea leaf readings, twitter & youtube views.

Yougov is a serious polling company whereas this OnBuy is patently not. Now, if there is credible data from other countries on their views of individual members of the BRF then I would be interested to know.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"The Duke of Sussex surprised some of our previous WellChild Award winners on a recent zoom call. See the moment for yourself & hear their thoughts on why the #WellChildAwards, in association with @GSK, are so important. Watch the full video & nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards"

Look at their surprise when they recognize him, very cool

Think it's appearances like these that are really Harry's strength! (and he looks good..i know, i'm shallow)

PS. also trying to get this thread back on subject
Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

What an absolutely lovely appearance by Harry! The children seemed so surprised and excited. This is the sort of think that I think Harry is at his best at- no trying to sell anything, no "buzzwords" or jargon, just a very genuine and approachable bloke who is able to meet the kids where they're at and connect on that level. Well done!
Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Two of the nominees Fauci and Cuomo were recognized because of their work re: Covid. That overshadows a lot. And Trump was nominated. ANd Black Lives Matter. Major issues this year. I had no thought of Harry and Meghan possibly being nominated.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Commoner

The most popular royal worldwide!

"Meghan Markle is the most popular royal worldwide, according to huge study."

https://twitter.com/womanandhome/sta...75339701448704

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/ro...to-huge-study/

…obviously
Old 12-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan Duchess of Sussex comes in first in a worldwide weighted survey of the popularity of British royals. She is followed by Kate Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen. Harry is fourth. Sun reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13...yal-worldwide/
Lol, nice try
Seems that the Sun is not such a controversial source after all.
Depending on the subject i presume ...
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjovie View Post
"Meghan Markle is the most popular royal worldwide, according to huge study."

https://twitter.com/womanandhome/sta...75339701448704

https://www.womanandhome.com/life/ro...to-huge-study/

…obviously

They sourced: yougov (okay, but how? it has consistently showed her as one of the lest favorite), Google searches (nope!- first of all: unpopular infamous and controversial people tends to have higher google results than non problematic people; also if you don't know who the person is you are more likely to search for their name- as happened in 2017 when everyone went "Meghan Markle who?" upon the engagement announcement), and some ebay ripoff site called onbuy (so glad I was not drinking my wine while reading this my laptop would have gotten wet)

In other words ladies and gentlemen: this is what a paid PR puff article looks like!
How so interesting that this article is being released this weekend, mere days after the tour and the "magnificent 7+Queen" pictures.

Sometimes the best PR line of defense is to do nothing!

Closed Thread