The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that a term that we could apply to both Harry and Meghan at this time is that they are very much still "amateurs" at the game they are playing in setting up their "new life".

Harry comes from a background of service and over the years has had some wonderful success in areas that he's passionate about. He also had people behind him to aid and abet his endeavors so that they fit into the framework of what the "Firm" required of him. Meghan, too, had her own areas of philanthropy and I do believe that she was sincere in what she was doing. The concept of fitting into the framework of what the "Firm" expected of the both of them didn't mesh with their ideas and off to California they went.

Now they're on their own and have to establish themselves somehow, someway, during a pandemic. Without the solid framework of the "Firm" underneath them, it may seem as they're grasping at straws and coming across in ways that don't seem genuine or sincere and even just throwing out "buzz words" and being "woke" shows me that they're learning what works and what doesn't work for them. Trial and error. It'll be a long while before I think I'd proclaim them as being "professional" philanthropists but what the hay.. they're trying at least. They very well could have decided to live a totally hedonistic lifestyle among the rich and famous and celebrity circles but I've seen no evidence of that at all. So basically, they're trying. Can't fault them for that.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Its clearly an experiment, this new life in Montecito and it is interesting to see how this couple will deal with the cards they have been given. We have not heard the last from team Sussex, I am sure and I also wish them well.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
But, she did not have to give up everything the way Harry seems to have done. She still had her friends, she still travelled to America/Canada to see them and they to see her. Her mother came to visit. She gave up her place of residence and her acting career, that was all.

Harry on the other hand, has given up his family (let's face it how many times have Charles and the Queen seen Archie, in person) all of his friends, his place in the RF, his entire life (as he knew it) to that point, his residence and his military appointments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Meghan had to give up her acting and her life in LA and Canada. Of course she could travel to see people in America, because there was no Covid then. Hary can't go to the UK right now because of Covid
[...]
Her life in Canada was always going to be temporary for the duration of time Suits was being filmed.
She seemed to have been fine skipping her LA life and moving straight to Montecito.
They still choose in January, pre covid, not to bring Archie with them.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
They very well could have decided to live a totally hedonistic lifestyle among the rich and famous and celebrity circles but I've seen no evidence of that at all. So basically, they're trying. Can't fault them for that.
I agree with you post but this part is unproven yet really. No one (apart from the idiotic) are living a publicly hedonistic party lifestyle at the moment. All the glitzy events that they might have turned up at have been cancelled.

It might well be that they won't turn up at any/many "rich and famous" events in the future but its equally likely that they will IMO, if only because they'll need to network for their foundation, their brand and any Netflix shows and it's a good way to get some glamourous publicity.

They obviously weren't falling out of nightclubs in the UK but some of their private events (which *were* obviously their own business on their personal time) did contribute to some of the negative headlines in 2018. Obviously that was pre Archie.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

And now for something very sweet...a little boy in Santa Barbara mistook Prince Harry for one of the employees at Big Wave Dave's Christmas Tree lot. Might be worth looking into for a part time position if it comes with a decent discount.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ittle-boy.html
Quote:
Meghan and Prince Harry came into my work today and we sold them their Christmas Tree,' he tweeted. 'It was anticlimactic, but a very, very interesting experience.'James, whose Twitter handle is @imaJaaaaaames, claimed that the couple had arranged to have the lot cleared, but there was another family still inside when they arrived.
'We had our lot empty when they got there — their agent promoted them a good time to come instead of us shutting it down,' he explained. '
'There was one family in there and their stoked little son ran through trees up to Harry and asked if he worked here not knowing who that is.'
Old 12-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
And now for something very sweet...a little boy in Santa Barbara mistook Prince Harry for one of the employees at Big Wave Dave's Christmas Tree lot. Might be worth looking into for a part time position if it comes with a decent discount.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ittle-boy.html
Am I reading this correctly that they arranged for the area to be cleared before they arrived. Please tell me I have read this wrong.
That is what people do to promote themselves and make themselves appear special. When they were In London the two of them were seen shopping for a Xmas tree at the market no sign of an area being cleared.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Am I reading this correctly that they arranged for the area to be cleared before they arrived. Please tell me I have read this wrong.
That is what people do to promote themselves and make themselves appear special. When they were In London the two of them were seen shopping for a Xmas tree at the market no sign of an area being cleared.
That is just America. They shut down shops when famous people enter...at least in California. I doubt they would do it in New York. Happened to a friend of mine...a shol she went into in LA was shut after she entered and she turned around to find she was the only one in the store. They thought she was Mischa Barton.,
It's just a different life. Leave them to it. They will soon be irrelevant.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

That really made me laugh! I don't think I look like anyone famous, but imagine a whole shop being closed because you'd walked in and been mistaken for someone else.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post

This is what James (the employee) shared via social media.

Quote:
James, whose Twitter handle is @imaJaaaaaames, claimed that the couple had arranged to have the lot cleared, but there was another family still inside when they arrived.
'We had our lot empty when they got there — their agent promoted them a good time to come instead of us shutting it down,' he explained. '
So I am reading two things from his statement. First, that the couple arranged to have the lot cleared. Second, that their agent told them when it would be a better time for them to come. I'm guessing the better time would be when foot traffic was slow?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I agree with you post but this part is unproven yet really. No one (apart from the idiotic) are living a publicly hedonistic party lifestyle at the moment. All the glitzy events that they might have turned up at have been cancelled.

It might well be that they won't turn up at any/many "rich and famous" events in the future but its equally likely that they will IMO, if only because they'll need to network for their foundation, their brand and any Netflix shows and it's a good way to get some glamourous publicity.

They obviously weren't falling out of nightclubs in the UK but some of their private events (which *were* obviously their own business on their personal time) did contribute to some of the negative headlines in 2018. Obviously that was pre Archie.
I dont think they're interested in a party lifestyle per se.. What they want most is to be glamourous, famous and noticed in their working life..and they could not really achieve that in the UK. Or in Canada so once they got to Canada they were on the move towards LA.
(Having said that of course what got Meghan a lot of bad publicity in the UK was the Baby shower where she flew to America...which looked Hollywoody and extravagant and self indulgent.. Possibly if they had stayed in the UK, there would have been other events like that...which would have been "luxury private life...)
I think that given their desire for privacy, they DONT really want a lifestyle where they are always out partying.. but they DO want a lifestyle where their work is public and noticed by the press and they get admiration for it. They want public notice and they want to control how they get it. I think that Meg was taken aback to find that in the UK, the RF are not immune from very negative press and that she could not control unkind tabloid headlines.
I think that possibly they did not mind having some luxurious "self indulgent" parties like the baby shower, but they didn't want the press chasing them during them.. they just wanted a bit of admiring coverage afterwards.. but didn't realise that it looked very self indulgent to UK people)
So by stepping out of the RF, and the limitations that that imposed on her....she could at least try to control what access the media had to them and to keep away media people who might not be nice about them...
Old 12-05-2020, 04:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
This is what James (the employee) shared via social media.

So I am reading two things from his statement. First, that the couple arranged to have the lot cleared. Second, that their agent told them when it would be a better time for them to come. I'm guessing the better time would be when foot traffic was slow?
That is also true of really famous people, that they go to places at times they know footfall is low. Never to a local cafe at lunch time, don't go shopping on a Saturday. But that is for exceptionally famous people, but I don't see them as that anymore...certainly not Meghan and not Harry in the US.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Courtier

If one feel that they are so important, that everything and everyone had to be cleared out , so they can walk in and have photos made of them, there is something really wrong with their EGO. The Queen would have never demanded something like this, because she has class. It must be very stressful to be this important ha ha. Maybe I have to try this the next time I will go to the store, lets see how far this will get me?
Old 12-05-2020, 01:06 PM
Majesty

Why would you need your agent to coordinate that you go and buy a Christmas tree. They really think high of themselves/have a sense of enormous self-importance
Old 12-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Why would you need your agent to coordinate that you go and buy a Christmas tree. They really think high of themselves/have a sense of enormous self-importance
Everything they do goes is opposite their stated wish of just wanting to be Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor and reflects their desire still to be Duke and Duchess of Sussex
Old 12-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
That is just America. They shut down shops when famous people enter...at least in California. I doubt they would do it in New York. Happened to a friend of mine...a shol she went into in LA was shut after she entered and she turned around to find she was the only one in the store. They thought she was Mischa Barton.,
It's just a different life. Leave them to it. They will soon be irrelevant.
Oh my goodness!! What did she say to them? Did she tell them she was not Mischa Barton?
Old 12-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Oh my goodness!! What did she say to them? Did she tell them she was not Mischa Barton?
Well she went up to them and said, I am sorry are you closing? They said we thought you would like to shop in privacy. She asked why? Anyway however this conversation panned put they revealed that they thought she was Mischa Barton and she said they had made a mistake but she was flattered. She felt compelled to buy something though after all the hassle. And it wasnt a cheap shop.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

it is their business model to get noticed otherwise they are forgotten soon. you can be super famous and do your shopping in the grocery store just like everyone else, without being photographed or even actively seen. a good example is sean penn, oscar winning actor who does a lot of charity but choses not to show off his private life, it is boring anyway. his basis to go public are his movies and projects.
H&M don't have any basis, the RF is gone, although they still cling onto it by using Duke and Duchess but this will wear out eventually, and then there is nothing.
So they have to do something or be seen or think about what to do and say every damn day because otherwise they will be history soon in an environment like LA.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

The RF is not gone. They are still royals, they are still Duke and Duchess. They are simply private citizens like Beatrice and Eugenie.

What people mean is they desperately hope to be proven right that Harry is a 'nothing because he isn't heir' and he will vanish from memory. Just like 'his wedding will be nothing because he isn't heir'. And 'there will be no interest in his son' because he isn't heir. One of these days you have to be right???

Newspapers don't care about royals because they are 'working royals'. They care about what sells newspapers.

Harry and Meghan are actively supporting their charities. As they said they would continue to do when they left. And their titles help bring PR to those charities and causes.

Them vanishing benefits no one but those who are desperate for them to be a non-entity.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The RF is not gone. They are still royals, they are still Duke and Duchess. They are simply private citizens like Beatrice and Eugenie.

What people mean is they desperately hope to be proven right that Harry is a 'nothing because he isn't heir' and he will vanish from memory. Just like 'his wedding will be nothing because he isn't heir'. And 'there will be no interest in his son' because he isn't heir. One of these days you have to be right???

Newspapers don't care about royals because they are 'working royals'. They care about what sells newspapers.

Harry and Meghan are actively supporting their charities. As they said they would continue to do when they left. And their titles help bring PR to those charities and causes.

Them vanishing benefits no one but those who are desperate for them to be a non-entity.
No, the RF isn't gone.. but Harry is gone from it. So he can do what he likes its of no consequence to the RF.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Another is that the general public dislikes them and will not welcome them if they return. I remember similar comments were said before their return in March. That wasn’t the case then and I doubt it will be in the future...
Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 AM
Serene Highness

There was a comment in this morning's paper about how much happier Harry looked when he was falling out of nightclubs. OK, by 36 I think most people are past falling out of nightclubs, but William, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are in a similar age group and they all seem happy. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Harry look happy. I think it was in that photo of Archie wearing a cute woolly hat with bobbles, which must have been over a year ago.

Closed Thread