The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 02:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
The “raindrop” concept isn’t a new one for the Sussexes. In an interview with Marie Claire about voting, Meghan said, "One of my favorite quotes, and one that my husband and I have referred to often, is from Kate Sheppard, a leader in the suffragist movement in New Zealand, who said, 'Do not think your single vote does not matter much. The rain that refreshes the parched ground is made up of single drops,'" Meghan continued. "That is why I vote."

http://https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a33572727/meghan-markle-why-im-voting-marie-claire/

I had a feeling that the idea originated from Meghan. There are certain things that Harry says that just scream “Meghan” for me and this was one of them. It just feels very flowery and buzzword-y.
Based on the above, this idea seems to have originated from the woman Meghan quoted, Kate Sheppard. It looks like both H and M have to use other people’s quotes to express their ideas...

Old 12-03-2020, 02:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Based on the above, this idea seems to have originated from the woman Meghan quoted, Kate Sheppard. It looks like both H and M have to use other people’s quotes to express their ideas...
I do not think there is anything wrong in using a famous quote to express you ideas, as long as you attribute the quote to the original author.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
What the Telegraph said summed things up very well. We don't have the information to be sure exactly how this pandemic started, and it's probably unlikely that the Chinese authorities will ever make it clear to the WHO and international scientists, but proper care was clearly not taken at the wet markets and it seems likely that that did start it.

But Harry sounded like a 17th century preacher saying that the bubonic plague was God's punishment for everyone being miserable sinners who didn't heed the word of the Lord and cavorted about at rude plays at Restoration theatres. And saying that he worries about bringing new life into the world, a few months after his unborn child died? I'm sure he didn't mean it to sound like that, but he needs to think more carefully before he opens his mouth.
Watching the video and everything he was quoting was more the the bolded interpretation and not really "scientists believe human cruelty with animals and lack of any care at the wet markets probably started the virus and shows how devastating our lack of reverence for nature is". It was "vengeful Mother Nature is punishing us for not looking after the planet" The equivalent of fire and brimstone televangelism. Watch this video platform and click on the links to donate to these charities and ease your guilt!

Again to be fair he's far from the only person I've seen using the quote in that way, it was extremely popular at one point and I do think he means well, it's just there are ways to use it that don't come across as preachy or insensitive. Or you know, reframe it for the positive in "change the way we interact with nature" or "opportunities in darkness to grow". Between that and not really sounding like himself when he talks his actual message is getting lost.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:25 AM
Serene Highness

An awful lot of rubbish has been spouted about this virus - people are going on about it being The Great Resetting and the decline of meaningless capitalism and a chance to reconnect with nature and spend more time with your family. 25,000 UK jobs are probably going to be lost after a number of High Street stores collapsed this week. I'm not sure that seeing it as the decline of meaningless capitalism is going to be much consolation to the 25,000 people who won't have a wage coming in. It's very tactless.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:23 AM
Royal Highness

It appears that some of Meghan's letter to the NYT was plagiarized. Including the parts of the miscarriage - the publishers of the books where it has been claimed it, was taken from might seek legal advise.

The book where the miscarriage quote comes from is Stephanie Tong's Chasing Light,
extract:
"I clutched her tightly and cried into her. As I tenderly held my first born in my arms, I was saying goodbye to my third."
Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Don't they all?
Of course they do. Meghan talks a lot of waffle and Harry's learned it from her...
Old 12-03-2020, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course they do. Meghan talks a lot of waffle and Harry's learned it from her...
Whatever sells and helps them with their compassionate brand!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whatever sells and helps them with their compassionate brand!
Precisely. To tel the truth, I think the best thing that could happen woudl be that Americans ignore them.. and they start to realise that unless they are working royals they are not of any importance..but although most Americans dont think highly of titles, there is still a "lure" if someone has a title and is related to the queen.. and so its not going ot happen. They'll be considered newsworthy. but they're not that bright, either of them and they continually both of them say things that are just silly or empty.. whether going on about their own feelings or just mouthing cliches. So I think that people will criticise them more and more and the British Press will still give them a roasting....
But it seems veyr plain to me that Meghan is the one who has "taught" Harry to go all "friends of the Earthy" and he's dutifully learned all this stuff and probalby at present believes in it...
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It appears that some of Meghan's letter to the NYT was plagiarized. Including the parts of the miscarriage - the publishers of the books where it has been claimed it, was taken from might seek legal advise.

The book where the miscarriage quote comes from is Stephanie Tong's Chasing Light,
extract:
"I clutched her tightly and cried into her. As I tenderly held my first born in my arms, I was saying goodbye to my third."
Can you please post the link?

Ouch, that is a terrible look...it’s essentially outright theft.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

extract:
I really wish conspiracy twitter would stay there. Every time Meghan says or writes something a certain group claims unfounded plagiarism. This one is particularly sad like the NYT wouldn’t throughly research.

Anyways since this has been some weird attempt to dismiss her tragedy, someone took the time to research the odd allegation.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-tha...ut-miscarriage

I know Meghan triggers certain individuals but... really?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Courtier

Blaming poor people for the corona virus when you're driving around in your SUV, living in your huge mansion and flying all over the world is galling. Whoever is advising them to say this needs to be fired.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Blaming poor people for the corona virus when you're driving around in your SUV, living in your huge mansion and flying all over the world is galling. Whoever is advising them to say this needs to be fired.
Nobody's advising them. Its probable that this is why they wanted to get out of the RF, because in the RF, they couldn't be semi political, they coud not easily just "sound off" without at least being told off a bit for going political, and they'd have to adhere to govt policy guidelines and use speech writers who were able to do this. but as "former working royals" there are no restrictions on them. they can write their own speeches, take any positon they like, within reason and use any advisers or friends that they like...
Old 12-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Nobody's advising them. Its probable that this is why they wanted to get out of the RF, because in the RF, they couldn't be semi political, they coud not easily just "sound off" without at least being told off a bit for going political, and they'd have to adhere to govt policy guidelines and use speech writers who were able to do this. but as "former working royals" there are no restrictions on them. they can write their own speeches, take any positon they like, within reason and use any advisers or friends that they like...
I thought they were using those fancy Sunshine Sachs PR folks? I’m sure their approach to PR is a world away from the PR of someone advising the royal family.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I thought they were using those fancy Sunshine Sachs PR folks? I’m sure their approach to PR is a world away from the PR of someone advising the royal family.
I dont know but advice for the RF is to keep away from too much personal information, that you dont have to share your private life with the public (except in very small doses) and that the emphasis should be on doing a good job, quietly, not putting yourself forward, supporting the queen and the institution, not promoting yourself, and when you are doing charity engagements to focus on the charity, not yourself...
Whereas for a "power couple" which the Sussexes seem to want to be, there is more of an emphasis on the couple themsleves, sharing information about their private life to interest the public.. and publicising what you do in a way that would be thought a bit improper for a working royal couple...
Old 12-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Can you please post the link?

Ouch, that is a terrible look...it’s essentially outright theft.

Here's a link to an excerpt from the book.

https://books.google.se/books?id=4PL...rd.%22&f=false
Old 12-03-2020, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
Here's a link to an excerpt from the book.

https://books.google.se/books?id=4PL...rd.%22&f=false

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Commoner

When I read the raindrops speech, I was immediately reminded of Sarah, Duchess of York, and her words in March.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...mother-nature/

That's what she wrote on Instagram:

"Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms… Like the spoilt children we are. She gave us time and she gave us warnings. She was so patient with us. She gave us fire and floods, she tried to warn us but in the end she took back control. She has sent us to our rooms and when she is finished clearing up our mess. She will let us out to play again. How will we use this time? Xxxx."

I didn't like the anthropomorphic imagery and even the cutesy factor of "Mother Nature" then and still don't like it. We humans have caused damage to nature and the environment, yes, it's true. All of us have used energy, wasted resources etc.

I'm really allergic to people like Harry preaching to others now. Just look at the huge house they're living in. What a waste of energy.

And nature was not created for humans to feel good in.

This speech is simply full of silly metaphors. He really has no idea what he's talking about. His only message is "I care, Meghan cares, why don't you?" Well, a lot of people care.

What Harry is missing is a good education at university where they could have taught him to research facts, become knowledgeable about a topic, form an opinion of his own and change it when necessary. Too many people talk about climate change but don't know anything about it.

Reading a speech like that is really intellectually painful. A whole bouquet of cliches. He doesn't sound like himself.

I don't want to compare him to others who speak competently about such matters, or initiate projects to change something. He certainly believes that this is him speaking from his heart. But it's hollow.

And I'm sorry to sound a bit cynical - if a PR counselor told him to go for the topic that most people will agree with him, they'd probably hit on a) compassion and b) the environment.

I can't express myself well enough in English but I'm very ambivalent about this new "enlightened" Prince Harry.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

I used to love it in the '80s and '90s. It wasn't nasty and spiteful, just satirical in a funny-ish way. Prime Minister John Major's puppet was coloured grey, because people used to say how grey and boring he was. There used to be an advert with dancing milk bottles, and they recreated the advert showing vodka bottles dancing up to Boris Yeltsin. That sort of thing.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diotima View Post
When I read the raindrops speech, I was immediately reminded of Sarah, Duchess of York, and her words in March.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...mother-nature/

That's what she wrote on Instagram:

"Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms… Like the spoilt children we are. She gave us time and she gave us warnings. She was so patient with us. She gave us fire and floods, she tried to warn us but in the end she took back control. She has sent us to our rooms and when she is finished clearing up our mess. She will let us out to play again. How will we use this time? Xxxx."

I didn't like the anthropomorphic imagery and even the cutesy factor of "Mother Nature" then and still don't like it. We humans have caused damage to nature and the environment, yes, it's true. All of us have used energy, wasted resources etc.

I'm really allergic to people like Harry preaching to others now. Just look at the huge house they're living in. What a waste of energy.

And nature was not created for humans to feel good in.

This speech is simply full of silly metaphors. He really has no idea what he's talking about. His only message is "I care, Meghan cares, why don't you?" Well, a lot of people care.

What Harry is missing is a good education at university where they could have taught him to research facts, become knowledgeable about a topic, form an opinion of his own and change it when necessary. Too many people talk about climate change but don't know anything about it.

Reading a speech like that is really intellectually painful. A whole bouquet of cliches. He doesn't sound like himself.

I don't want to compare him to others who speak competently about such matters, or initiate projects to change something. He certainly believes that this is him speaking from his heart. But it's hollow.

And I'm sorry to sound a bit cynical - if a PR counselor told him to go for the topic that most people will agree with him, they'd probably hit on a) compassion and b) the environment.

I can't express myself well enough in English but I'm very ambivalent about this new "enlightened" Prince Harry.
You expressed yourself very well, actually - I agree with everything you said. I really loathe the message that nature is punishing humanity. It proves that Harry, Meghan and anyone else who espouses this theory has no clue about how our planet works at all - no knowledge of plate tectonics, Vulcanism, etc....It’s just a loathsome motion that innocents are being sacrificed...

I suspect Harry’s knowledge of this subject is shallow, which is why he has to resort to platitudes and borrowing others’ quotes. He just comes off as hectoring and judgmental.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Harry certainly didn't rely on a PR firm to pick conservation as an interest others had in order to talk on the subject. He was helping to launch WaterBear, a Netflix channel that will encompass all matters to do with conservation, displacement of wildlife etc. when he spoke a few days ago.

He and William have long had an interest in conservation, following their father Prince Charles. I remember them appearing with him as teenagers and speaking about the dangers to wildlife. Harry spent a lot of time in Africa helping with the rehoming of displaced herds of elephants. He's patron of Parks Africa.

https://www.royal.uk/prince-harry-ma...-african-parks

Do you think that other members of the Royal family speak off the cuff about conservation (or anything else) as if they are experts? They are not. Neither Charles nor William studied the relevant subjects at university to be able to do so. They both employ large numbers of aides to write their speeches and to vet them before hand.

Harry has his heart in Africa where he's seen for himself what displacement of habitat for wildlife has done to the environment. And he speaks from the heart about it.

Closed Thread