The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1721  
Old 12-01-2020, 03:49 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......



Exactly. This is one of my biggest problems with them in general since January and you've said it in one paragraph.

I do think the channel is a positive one, although by nature it's a lot of talking not doing Harry . It's also something that fits in well with the BRF role and what his father and brother are currently "doing" as well. But then I get grumpy about the "Independent Harry and Meghan Monarchy of Montecito" have you cake and make a lot of money off it stuff (even though yes I know he wasn't paid for this video). And the lecturing tone.

Anyway. No doubt a heartfelt message that he believes in but I did giggle at the raindrop thing. He'd do better to use his father as a speech role model and not whoever is currently writing for him. Charles sounds less like he's lecturing but knowledgeable, passionate and like himself.
"Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......"

"but"?, not sure what the but is for in regards to Charles, can you please elaborate.
__________________

  #1722  
Old 12-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
"Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......"

"but"?, not sure what the but is for in regards to Charles, can you please elaborate.
Sorry. It was nothing in regards to Charles. His video was very good, full stop.

I was trying to lead into the quote about Harry and Meghan still wanting to be "Working Royals" by themselves without actually working for the BRF and/but the problems and complications with that as opposed to the built in platform and "duty" aspect Charles and others have but I completely mangled it. I'll edit it.
__________________

  #1723  
Old 12-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,688
Several posts have been deleted as they appear to be discussing other members and not the actual topic of the thread.

Members are encouraged to discuss the topic in a mature, considered and constructive way in order to promote a balanced discussion and one in which people can engage properly with one another.
__________________
JACK
  #1724  
Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Sorry. It was nothing in regards to Charles. His video was very good, full stop.

I was trying to lead into the quote about Harry and Meghan still wanting to be "Working Royals" by themselves without actually working for the BRF.

I don't know the context of the quote, but honestly I can't understand what they mean by that. Harry and Meghan can do charity work or even become social activists in the US, but they cannot be "working royals" in California. What I mean is that the designation "working royal" only makes sense in a monarchy where royals have an official role.


When Harry and Meghan moved out of the UK, we discussed here if they could be be "working royals" in Canada and I argued that would be problematic even in a Commonwealth realm like Canada since, although the Queen is the Queen of Canada, the Canadian constitution assigns official representation duties on behalf of the Crown to the Governor General and the provincial Lieutenant Governors, rather than other members of the BRF (except during short-term visits or tours). It would be even more problematic (in fact, it would make no sense at all) for Harry and Meghan to seek any kind of official "working" role in a republic like the US where they have no constitutional status whatsoever.
  #1725  
Old 12-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 519
A great metaphor is great, but it has to click right away for people. While this quote: "Every single raindrop that falls from the sky relieves the parched ground. What if every single one of us was a raindrop, and if every single one of us cared?" sounds really pretty, I see a few issues with it:
- it's very easy to misquote it and twist it into something else (and that's a big 'no' in public speaking since forever) that will sound absurdly stupid
- doesn't sound like something Harry would actually say and think of himself (another big 'no' - stick to something that you know works and is natural)
- sounds pretty damn funny from someone who spends the pandemic in a $15million mansion

This year is pretty damn unprecedented in a history - and if someone like Harry wants to edify 'normal' people, they really need to look at it from all the angles to not sound so out of touch. Like in SO MANY cases since their marriage, the Sussexes come to us with a great message and completely miss the correct tone for it, which could easily be avoided if they surrounded themselves with better employees.

Next time they'll flight by private plane (and we know they will) the article will just write itself. "We all have to be raindrops to put out a fire caused by yet another private plane flight by Prince Harry", "Do as I say not as I do Prince Harry flying by private plane again", etc. It's like he's handing the media the ammunition by himself.
  #1726  
Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't know the context of the quote, but honestly I can't understand what they mean by that. Harry and Meghan can do charity work or even become social activists in the US, but they cannot be "working royals" in California. What I mean is that the designation "working royal" only makes sense in a monarchy where royals have an official role.


When Harry and Meghan moved out of the UK, we discussed here if they could be be "working royals" in Canada and I argued that would be problematic even in a Commonwealth realm like Canada since, although the Queen is the Queen of Canada, the Canadian constitution assigns official representation duties on behalf of the Crown to the Governor General and the provincial Lieutenant Governors, rather than other members of the BRF (except during short-term visits or tours). It would be even more problematic (in fact, it would make no sense at all) for Harry and Meghan to seek any kind of official "working" role in a republic like the US where they have no constitutional status whatsoever.
In my view, what H&M appear to be trying to do is build a "compassionate" brand. That involves doing a degree of public service (eg, volunteering at food banks), publicly supporting charitable endeavours and certain causes (the environment, women's empowerment), supporting veterans etc, all of which could be monetised through media and publishing deals and when possible, speaking engagements.

It is a carefully calibrated strategy that has been developed by somebody like Sunshine Sachs over time. Perhaps this is why a photographer is never far, whether they are volunteering or at a cemetery and the online chats supporting various causes continue to drop ever so often. Additionally, in the business, out of sight is indeed out of mind, which is why what may appear an unnecessary details about their plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas will keep appearing.

Oprah is probably somebody they see as a role model for building such a compassionate brand, and who may or may not have helped connect them with people who could help them.
  #1727  
Old 12-02-2020, 02:27 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In my view, what H&M appear to be trying to do is build a "compassionate" brand. That involves doing a degree of public service (eg, volunteering at food banks), publicly supporting charitable endeavours and certain causes (the environment, women's empowerment), supporting veterans etc, all of which could be monetised through media and publishing deals and when possible, speaking engagements.

It is a carefully calibrated strategy that has been developed by somebody like Sunshine Sachs over time. Perhaps this is why a photographer is never far, whether they are volunteering or at a cemetery and the online chats supporting various causes continue to drop ever so often. Additionally, in the business, out of sight is indeed out of mind, which is why what may appear an unnecessary details about their plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas will keep appearing.

Oprah is probably somebody they see as a role model for building such a compassionate brand, and who may or may not have helped connect them with people who could help them.
I definitely think that you're right about them wanting to build their "compassionate" brand, and building a brand does indeed include a lot of marketing. So that's going to mean that they'll need to be photographed doing charity activities and meeting with others, will need to be seen collaborating with other individuals and organizations with similar goals and projects, etc. I think that after Archewell officially gets off the ground we're going to seeing and hearing a lot more from Harry and Meghan.

I think what's so confusing right now though is that a. they haven't actually launched anything yet besides the vague Archewell website and b. they are still using their British royal titles in everything that they do. Every time they call themselves Prince Harry or Meghan, Duchess of Sussex or The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, it really seems like they are still trying to connect the work they are doing as private citizens to their roles as royals, which in turn gives the impression that they are still trying to be "working royals" in the US. I know that I have been constantly harping on the fact that they need to give up the titles, but... it's time for them to give up the titles. (which I don't think that they want to do nor will ever do...). I could maybe see using them if they had settled in Canada, South Africa, or another Commonwealth country, but they chose to permanently move to the US, and it just seems rather silly to be using them in a place where the Queen has no sovreignty and their titles aren't "officially" recognized like they are in the UK. If they want to live in the US as Americans, and if Harry wants to become an American someday (which is likely IMO seeing as that's where he's decided to settle with his family) they need to give them up at least in a professional capacity.
  #1728  
Old 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I think what's so confusing right now though is that a. they haven't actually launched anything yet besides the vague Archewell website and b. they are still using their British royal titles in everything that they do. Every time they call themselves Prince Harry or Meghan, Duchess of Sussex or The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, it really seems like they are still trying to connect the work they are doing as private citizens to their roles as royals, which in turn gives the impression that they are still trying to be "working royals" in the US. I know that I have been constantly harping on the fact that they need to give up the titles, but... it's time for them to give up the titles. (which I don't think that they want to do nor will ever do...). I could maybe see using them if they had settled in Canada, South Africa, or another Commonwealth country, but they chose to permanently move to the US, and it just seems rather silly to be using them in a place where the Queen has no sovreignty and their titles aren't "officially" recognized like they are in the UK. If they want to live in the US as Americans, and if Harry wants to become an American someday (which is likely IMO seeing as that's where he's decided to settle with his family) they need to give them up at least in a professional capacity.
The part I bolded, to me, is the crux of the matter. It's as if they're establishing their own "court" and whatever they do, they'll do it along the model of how they did things when they were working royals for the "Firm". The problem though is that without the backing of the "Firm" and with the way they exited the "Firm", as private citizens, the interest in and the scope of whatever they want to accomplish has lost its foundation which gave Harry and Meghan their appeal to begin with. That being actual working royals and representing Crown and Country.

I do believe they have expected their "fame" and "influence" as working royals to carry over into whatever they decide to do once settled in the US. I don't believe it'll be anywhere near what they could have done within the "Firm" as even with using their "royal" titles, its been clearly notated by most people that they're on their own and basically, in the US, part of the celebrity culture where foundations and causes are actually a dime a dozen these days.

I wish them well with whatever they do decide to do but I can't help but think that they've really missed the mark by not remaining within the fold of the "Firm" which is a solid global platform and they could have accomplished so much more to make a difference.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #1729  
Old 12-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 458
With Title comes Responsibility and a certain willingness, to put duty before oneself. I think this is lacking here. The Title it seems is the most important thing, this is by what they want to be known by, anything less they wont except. Actually kind of sad.
  #1730  
Old 12-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In my view, what H&M appear to be trying to do is build a "compassionate" brand. That involves doing a degree of public service (eg, volunteering at food banks), publicly supporting charitable endeavours and certain causes (the environment, women's empowerment), supporting veterans etc, all of which could be monetised through media and publishing deals and when possible, speaking engagements.

It is a carefully calibrated strategy that has been developed by somebody like Sunshine Sachs over time. Perhaps this is why a photographer is never far, whether they are volunteering or at a cemetery and the online chats supporting various causes continue to drop ever so often. Additionally, in the business, out of sight is indeed out of mind, which is why what may appear an unnecessary details about their plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas will keep appearing.

Oprah is probably somebody they see as a role model for building such a compassionate brand, and who may or may not have helped connect them with people who could help them.
I think this is spot on. Unfortunately, it comes across as artificial - ie: Harry’s recent speech. As I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn’t sound like Harry at all, but rather as if it’s from a script - a script that his and Meghan’s PR people wrote for them. IMO, this and other “speeches, chats, declarations”, etc.. sound so inauthentic that their message is getting lost.

H and M may very genuinely be concerned about these issues, but they seem to be shouting “We CARE” at the top of their lungs - by the way they talk (not just speeches, but off-hand remarks about how others aren’t doing enough), by their publicizing their compassion, their concern (from the photographer at the cemetery to letting the world know they’d called HM to wish her a happy birthday, even though she didn’t want that).

Oh, and it seem to me they also want to remind people that they are still Royal - hence the photographer, hence the publicizing the phone call...Speaking of:

Osipi:

Quote:
I do believe they have expected their "fame" and "influence" as working royals to carry over into whatever they decide to do once settled in the US. I don't believe it'll be anywhere near what they could have done within the "Firm" as even with using their "royal" titles, its been clearly notated by most people that they're on their own and basically, in the US, part of the celebrity culture where foundations and causes are actually a dime a dozen these days.
I agree. Additionally, they fail to grasp that Americans as a whole are not impressed by titles. Our country was founded on the notion of self-determination, and that meant ridding ourselves of the hereditary monarchy and all that goes with it. We’ve got that Puritan work ethic that drives us (not always positively; we work too hard much of the time, which is why our quality of life and lifespans are not as great as in other countries). [...]
  #1731  
Old 12-02-2020, 03:41 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 711
The Telegraph has also picked Harry's virtual interview up, but this time on COVID-19. It's behind a paywall, so I don' know if the 'Somebody said to me its almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what weve done' quote is taken out of context or not.

Duke of Sussex suggests coronavirus was rebuke from mother nature
Harry says: 'Somebody said to me its almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what weve done'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...mother-nature/
  #1732  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Telegraph has also picked Harry's virtual interview up, but this time on COVID-19. It's behind a paywall, so I don' know if the 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done' quote is taken out of context or not.

Duke of Sussex suggests coronavirus was rebuke from mother nature
Harry says: 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...mother-nature/
He’s trending on Twitter because of this - the NY Post has picked it up as well.

To be fair, Harry is quoting someone who made that comment (so obviously he agrees with it, but he didn’t actually say that). I’m not happy. Not only is that obscenely disrespectful to the hundreds of thousands who’ve died, this makes Harry seem like the universe’s biggest conspiracy theorist.
  #1733  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:16 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 399
That... is not the metaphor I would choose to describe a disease killing thousands of people's loved ones. Nature is not an angry parent sending us to our rooms. Nor is it at all appropriate to describe someone's death as "teaching us a lesson," unless it's his own loved one and he would like to describe it that way.

"Somebody said to me at the beginning of the pandemic, it's almost as though mother nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behaviour to really take a moment and think about what we've done. Its certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."

Nature did not get angry at us and give us the coronavirus to send us to our rooms like naughty children. Wow. What a wildly inaccurate understanding of the world he is showcasing.
  #1734  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 901
He's far from the only person I've heard say this (or quote this), it was common in certain circles at the beginning of the pandemic, along with celebrating cleaner air measurements and saying "this is why COVID had to happen". However I thought it had died down now as the death toll mounted and it became clear how many people were losing their jobs and everything else.

He should definitely have known better than to say it like that rather than saying "this has given us a wake up call about....and a chance to build back better...think about what's really important...." type phrases. Especially as his father and brother had the virus.
  #1735  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 82
Reading all of Harry's recent comments, I think he needs to rehire ELF back considering he did wonders to Harry's image back in 2012-2014.
  #1736  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Reading all of Harry's recent comments, I think he needs to rehire ELF back considering he did wonders to Harry's image back in 2012-2014.
Given that he decided to step away from royal life; he probably should no longer 'work on his image' but just live his life - and in doing so make sure that he is not doing anything that might do damage to his family that they are still building their lives on.
  #1737  
Old 12-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
That... is not the metaphor I would choose to describe a disease killing thousands of people's loved ones. Nature is not an angry parent sending us to our rooms. Nor is it at all appropriate to describe someone's death as "teaching us a lesson," unless it's his own loved one and he would like to describe it that way.

"Somebody said to me at the beginning of the pandemic, it's almost as though mother nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behaviour to really take a moment and think about what we've done. It’s certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."

Nature did not get angry at us and give us the coronavirus to send us to our rooms like naughty children. Wow. What a wildly inaccurate understanding of the world he is showcasing.
Just a reminder that Harry borrowed that statement...

My first thought was that he seemed to be equating Coronavirus to one if the 10 plagues in the Bible, just replace God with Mother Nature. Open mouth, insert foot...that should be Harry’s motto. The idea that Nature is punishing innocent people just to make a point is actually sickening and frightening.
  #1738  
Old 12-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Given that he decided to step away from royal life; he probably should no longer 'work on his image' but just live his life - and in doing so make sure that he is not doing anything that might do damage to his family that they are still building their lives on.
Though he can never the private and anonymous Mr Harry Mountbatten. He will always be known as Prince Harry to the entire world, regardless of what his formal title is. Like his mother always was known as ”Princess Diana” among the general public everywhere in the world, despite never being a Princess in her own right... Harry is a global superstar from the moment he was conceived and that will never go away. Many journalists still has a job because of his existence. He must come to terms with that. His image must be blank and polished wether he lives in Los Angeles, London, Sarajevo or Ulan Bator, to not cause damage to the monarchy.

He is not his own best friend at the moment. Rather the opposite...
  #1739  
Old 12-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 458
Is he for real? He is blaming the people for causing this?, well he really needs help and fast. So let me understand this, Mother Nature is teaching us a lesson, because we caused this, so this is punishment for the world and we need to suck it up. Well he is not the first one to make such a stupid comment, someone else was the target and was blamed for it, because they had nothing else to say, as for they in that case it was the media. So for every person who sadly died from this virus, the families and the rest of the world need to say sorry, we did it and someone needs to pay? Lesson learned? I feel someone is getting unhinged. This suggestion about natures rebuke, is an insult to every person and especially the one's who died from this virus. And the one's who caught this virus and came out on the other side and are OK, should they feel guilty? Well I had it and one of my children, believe me I felt like getting hit by a fast moving train. I am sure someone will delete this post ,because they feel something negative is said about dear Harry. Well so be it.
  #1740  
Old 12-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 458
I just listen to an interview given by Harry. Well we should all be raindrops and other things, he also said Mother Nature punished us for bad behavior, hence the Pandemic. He also said his view's on climate have changed since he is a father and he worries about bringing in a new life into this world, since the planet will be on fire. What message will this be for Meghan, since she just suffered a miscarriage, which is extremely painful for a mother. I know very well how she feels. I don't want to appear nasty, because it is not meant this way, but is he saying this is also mother nature's punishment?, so not acceptable.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020- JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 291 01-02-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones bridal gown british royal family british royals buckingham palace canada coronavirus daisy dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie hereditary grand duchess stphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume historical drama history hypothetical monarchs introduction jewellery jewelry jumma king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mail mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepalese royal family northern ireland norway plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen mathilde resusci anne royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress settings speech stuart suthida thailand tips united states of america von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×