The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
To those who follow the reportas and reactions to M&H's łosoś. Are there voices critisizing the RF for not offering public support? Do people expect the RF to say something publicly?
I haven't encountered an article that directly criticise the royal family for not publicly supporting Meghan. However, I found a spike article by Brendan O'Neill on how some people criticised the royal family for being stiff-upper-lips in previous instances. The criticism isn't just narrowing down to the Royal Family, but also those who likes to keep their emotion themselves.

Quote:
The pressure to reveal all is very strong. Anyone who keeps things to themselves, or shares them only with their intimate circle of friends and family, is seen virtually as disordered. They’re ‘in denial’. Consider how the stiff upper lip of the rest of the royal family is so often demonised, and medicalised, these days. Stoicism is out, self-revelation is in. But we lose so much when we erase the line between private life and public life. When we advertise our private thoughts, emotions and experiences to a detached audience, our private life loses its meaning. It becomes performative, something we do to please others rather than to satisfy our own deeper needs. The private sphere is where we can be open, honest, frank, reflective. Raising the curtain on this world to outsiders will denude it of its sanctity and deprive us of a space in which we can truly be ourselves.
The whole spike article is basically criticising Meghan and other celebrities, mostly on the privacy issues and revealing private emotions out. I know that some may abhor Brendan's view, so I posted the related part in quote section.
Do we really need to know about Meghan Markle’s miscarriage?
Harry and Meghan are now invading their own privacy.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/1...s-miscarriage/

Old 11-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
To those who follow the reportas and reactions to M&H's łosoś. Are there voices critisizing the RF for not offering public support? Do people expect the RF to say something publicly?
No. Most people were focused on the article itself and support of Meghan and Harry.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I haven't encountered an article that directly criticise the royal family for not publicly supporting Meghan. However, I found a spike article by Brendan O'Neill on how some people criticised the royal family for being stiff-upper-lips in previous instances. The criticism isn't just narrowing down to the Royal Family, but also those who likes to keep their emotion themselves.

The whole spike article is basically criticising Meghan and other celebrities, mostly on the privacy issues and revealing private emotions out. I know that some may abhor Brendan's view, so I posted the related part in quote section.
Do we really need to know about Meghan Markle’s miscarriage?
Harry and Meghan are now invading their own privacy.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/1...s-miscarriage/
Well apparently, for one, Prince William doesn't agree O' Neil's views on the stiff upper lip approach. He's said publicly several times over the past few years that he beieves the stiff upper lip in internalising everything can be psychologically damaging.

https://www.newsweek.com/prince-will...entary-1505470
Old 11-27-2020, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do find the contrast in public reaction to Meghan’s revealing her miscarriage and other royals or members of the royal family who revealed their miscarriages or losses very telling. I do want to say that the vast majority of reactions that I’ve seen have been sympathetic and supportive, but on social media and in online comments I HAVE seen people saying things along the lines of “why does she have to go out and say their private business? Don’t they want their privacy?” and others mocking her words or calling her an attention-seeker. When Zara Phillips revealed her miscarriages I didn’t see anyone criticizing her or making light of it, same with Sophie and her ectopic pregnancy.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I do find the contrast in public reaction to Meghan’s revealing her miscarriage and other royals or members of the royal family who revealed their miscarriages or losses very telling. I do want to say that the vast majority of reactions that I’ve seen have been sympathetic and supportive, but on social media and in online comments I HAVE seen people saying things along the lines of “why does she have to go out and say their private business? Don’t they want their privacy?” and others mocking her words or calling her an attention-seeker. When Zara Phillips revealed her miscarriages I didn’t see anyone criticizing her or making light of it, same with Sophie and her ectopic pregnancy.
my 2cts on this (mind you, personally i think you should let each person grieve the way they choose), i think the reaction we see might indeed be different to when the other two ladies talked about their loss, but reactions (as far as i know, mind you, i don't read daily mail, twitter and such) are not about the fact *that* she spoke out about her loss, but the way *how* she did.

this seems a recurring thing with many of the reactions the Sussexes ger, whether it is this, or a visit to a cemetary, or dispensing food etc:
- *that* they do is, again afai can tell, appreciated and encouraged
- *how* they do it, occassionally raises questionmarks
Old 11-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:

This is just my theory, but I think it's because Zara already revealed her pregnancy, so she had no other choice but to reveal her miscarriage. With Meghan, people had no idea that she was pregnant and therefore, she wasn't obliged to share her miscarriage to the public.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Majesty

[.....]

A NZ article on the different reactions to Meghan's loss and those of Zara and Sophie. And again it should be noted that Meghan has received unstinted backing for her article from heads of organisations that actually work with bereaved parents and their families due to miscarriages.

There are no whinges from them regarding Meghan's phraseology in her letter, only praise for getting the message out there.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/p...-is-very-wrong
Old 11-27-2020, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
No, I haven seen a thing about it. I think everyone understands that this is a private matter...
Old 11-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
So did they do anything for Thanksgiving that I missed? Served food or something?
I believe all "Missions" etc. didn't have the usual monster charity Thanksgiving events out of an abundance of caution. They did their best to ensure their usual guests where otherwise taken care of. COVID still dictates how we behave and, if it doesn't it should. Were this not true, I am sure they would have rolled their sleeves up.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you for all your answers. I'm happy that no one expects the BRF to make statements. Months after the loss it would be only for the rags.
As for difference in reactions to the announcements it's all about why and how. Zara didn't have a choice and Sophie spent some time in a hospital and had to postpone her scheduled engagements.
Meghan didn't have to announce her miscarrige, though I think it's good to publicily speak about it.
Zara and Sophie had official announcements - the way BRF always uses to communicate with people. Meghan chose the article in one of the most popular newspapers in the world. For me that's a bit attention-seeking.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Majesty

It's perhaps forgotten, I think, that neither Harry or Meghan have had any IG or Twitter Page operating for months. Archewell is still not launched. I have a feeling that if it had been, Meghan would have posted her letter via Archewell.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness

[...]

I also think that it IS a good idea to ask people if they are ok....Although she referenced the Africa interview, I'm choosing not to focus on that. The entire world is going through an historic pandemic, where people are often isolated.....for many months at a time. Making sure loved ones are ok, are doing well, is necessary.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Most of the criticism was actually about how Meghan made her miscarriage public, i.e. in a NYT op-ed piece bringing up George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and the South Africa tour.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Most of the criticism was actually about how Meghan made her miscarriage public, i.e. in a NYT op-ed piece bringing up George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and the South Africa tour.
Yes I mean its better to tell about it to the Sunday times and BBC news

How dare she mention her struggles including her tour?

[...]
Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Administrator

A reminder of the Mod Note posted a couple of days ago:

With regard to Privacy, the discussion has gone round and round in circles for months. Meghan and Harry are not going to live a quiet life completely hidden from the public, so let’s refrain from bringing up that topic every single time they do an interview, or make an appearance in the media.

Members are asked to stop bringing up the Privacy debate all the time - thank you.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:57 AM
Commoner

I am very sympathetic about their loss - I do think it is good that she revealed her miscarriage in hopes of encouraging others to share their grief in order to help them come to terms with it. I just wish I didn't always feel that she is not sincere - that she is performing. She just hits me the wrong way.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousewood View Post
I am very sympathetic about their loss - I do think it is good that she revealed her miscarriage in hopes of encouraging others to share their grief in order to help them come to terms with it. I just wish I didn't always feel that she is not sincere - that she is performing. She just hits me the wrong way.
I think you really phrased a conflicting feeling I have been having as well. I was very moved by the piece and wholeheartedly believe that it is genuine... but it’s a bit of a “boy who cried wolf” syndrome. So much of what the Sussexes have done has been self-serving or to seek attention and paint themselves as victims, so when they do put out something that is very heartfelt and sincere it’s difficult to take them seriously, and I feel like I’m constantly looking for ulterior motives.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think you really phrased a conflicting feeling I have been having as well. I was very moved by the piece and wholeheartedly believe that it is genuine... but it’s a bit of a “boy who cried wolf” syndrome. So much of what the Sussexes have done has been self-serving or to seek attention and paint themselves as victims, so when they do put out something that is very heartfelt and sincere it’s difficult to take them seriously, and I feel like I’m constantly looking for ulterior motives.
Its less of 'cried wolf' and more of the usual double standards.

They are hardly the only royals who have ever sued for breach of privacy. Or demanded/wanted privacy. Others are 'just protecting their children', 'entitled to their down time'. The Sussexes are liars, secrative, denying the people the right to see their kid.....

[......]

Some people will not be happy with this couple until they slither down the hole where they are never heard from again that people claimed they would disappear in when they left royal life.

[......]
Old 11-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Its less of 'cried wolf' and more of the usual double standards.

They are hardly the only royals who have ever sued for breach of privacy. Or demanded/wanted privacy. Others are 'just protecting their children', 'entitled to their down time'. The Sussexes are liars, secrative, denying the people the right to see their kid.....

[......]

Some people will not be happy with this couple until they slither down the hole where they are never heard from again that people claimed they would disappear in when they left royal life.

[......]
All that being said, I do hope they will be able to have a second child. Most people recover from their grief following a miscarriage, though they always carry sadness for what might have been. A successful pregnancy and baby would go a long way to recovery.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you, but perhaps the difference was that Zara and Sophie did not sue for Invasion of privacy and moan about the lack of same all the time the way that Meghan has. And, perhaps that is why their revelations did not evoke as much controversy.

Closed Thread