The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rkle-left.html

A question?
Why was Frogmore Cottage left by the previous tenants (who ever they were)?
In such a terrible state,whereby the Sussexes had to spend millions to get it habitable again?

I'm assuming it's stood empty for years?

Old 11-24-2020, 05:28 PM
Courtier

I think there is even a claim that the royal staffs who used to live in Frogmore Cottage (before Harry and Meghan) move back to the property, after the Sussexes left the UK.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:40 PM
Majesty

In the 1920s/30s the Grand Duchess Xenia, George V's cousin, used to live at the Cottage. It began to be neglected then. It was used as Staff quarters after Xenia left and eventually, in the 1960s I think, it was converted into five flatlets for staff. However, nothing was done to the structure for years, and it was overflowing with asbestos, dry rot etc.

Everything from the wiring to the plumbing had to be fixed, and of course it had to be converted back to a sole occupancy home. Nobody has lived in it since Harry and Meghan left until now.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Courtier

I wonder why they picked Frogmore House for Harry and Meghan. It was an awful expensive fix up.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Courtier

I think it was their obsession with "privacy", again - they thought Windsor would be quieter than London.

I believe there were plans to renovate it anyway, to be fair - although I don't know what would have happened to it had Harry and Meghan not moved in.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I wonder why they picked Frogmore House for Harry and Meghan. It was an awful expensive fix up.
I thought so too, especially since they could have moved into KP without all the fuss.
But it was said at the time that they preferred to live in Windsor.

As far as the lease and payment for renovations, well...we really don't know who paid for what, do we?

I think the whole business about the Sussexes repaying the money was contrived to quiet outrage about them leaving so soon after all the work was done. Who knows if they repaid it or didn't, if they handed the keys to the Brookbanks willingly...or if they didn't?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I thought so too, especially since they could have moved into KP without all the fuss.
But it was said at the time that they preferred to live in Windsor.

As far as the lease and payment for renovations, well...we really don't know who paid for what, do we?

I think the whole business about the Sussexes repaying the money was contrived to quiet outrage about them leaving so soon after all the work was done. Who knows if they repaid it or didn't, if they handed the keys to the Brookbanks willingly...or if they didn't?
I would say they didn't. It was probably 'suggested to them.

They didn't want to live in KP...but I think Windsor in the end proved too isolating. It is very quiet there and they arent really that quiet.

Whatever it's gone now and the family have moved on. I find it said to see when people do but so necessary.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Majesty

BP would have denied that the lump sum had been paid back if it hadn't. And the accounts for Sovereign Grant expenditure are completely open. Every July the accounts are checked by audit and a report appears for public perusal.

If the Sussexes haven't paid, and I believe that they have, then it will be shown when the accounts are published in July 2021. The tabloids keep a sharp eye on these and publish articles on them every year.

And what evidence is there that Harry and Meghan have been forced to hand the keys of FC back and give them to Eugenie and Jack? That sounds like speculation I've read on anti Sussex Tumblr sites to me.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
BP would have denied that the lump sum had been paid back if it hadn't. And the accounts for Sovereign Grant expenditure are completely open. Every July the accounts are checked by audit and a report appears for public perusal.

If the Sussexes haven't paid, and I believe that they have, then it will be shown when the accounts are published in July 2021. The tabloids keep a sharp eye on these and publish articles on them every year.

And what evidence is there that Harry and Meghan have been forced to hand the keys of FC back and give them to Eugenie and Jack? That sounds like speculation I've read on anti Sussex Tumblr sites to me.
Didn't say forces. Said suggested. You don't really know how they tend to operate do you? An iron fist in a velvet glove. They would have smoothly done it.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

All very possible. We do not know, and truth be told, we do not need to know whact actually went on, and who paid what. All we know is that the Sovereign Grant expenditure on FC of £2.4m has been repaid by the BRF. Whether that was Harry or the Queen or Eugenie who repaid it, we do not know, adn do not need to know.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 AM
Courtier

I hope they did actually pay back the money themselves after signing that deal with Netflix and spending a lot of money on a mansion in California.

It wouldn't have surprised me if it was "suggested" that they hand the keys to a young couple who wanted to be in Windsor and were suitable tenants. However a couple of different sources said HM/Crown Estates were initially blindsided by the deal - which does seem to be how Harry and Meghan have operated. But who knows?

At the time it was said they wanted their own space (possibly not being on top of William and Kate) and that they loved Windsor because it was where they spent so much of their "courtship" in privacy.

But then there are also stories of them feeling slighted and upset as well because it used to be a servants house, especially that they didn't get their own court there. It may have seemed like a good idea at first and not worked out well. Although they didn't exactly give it much time and may have already been planning their escape.

The difference between FC and their home in Montecito is pretty apparent, even allowing for a change in country and culture.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sadly every photo I have seen of Frogmore Cottage is of the rear of the house and no updated photo of the front. Unless someone has it and would like to share.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

It seems Meghan suffered a miscarriage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/o...GrnvXYcmKspz04
Old 11-25-2020, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

No, Meghan had the miscarriage in July on this year.

The sudden privacy of the delay of the trial had me suspecting something of this nature. Not the miscarriage but that Meghan is newly pregnant, again, and with her now medical history they are being very careful.

My heartbreaks for them.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It seems Meghan suffered a miscarriage last year. The article doesn't say exactly when but sounds around their Africa trip.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/o...GrnvXYcmKspz04
The Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet quotes what Meghan has written in the NYT saying that it was in Los Angeles and during the month of July.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:21 AM
Courtier

It's brave of her to speak out about it. So many people still don't feel able to speak about miscarriage - I think Zara speaking out publicly was a very positive thing to do, and now Meghan.

Whenever any celeb couple marry, especially Royals, there's always a lot of speculation about when they're going to start a family, and people need to remember that, unfortunately, having children is not that easy for everyone, and that it's extremely insensitive to keep going on about it. We know that Edward and Sophie struggled to conceive, and, although it's never been said, it seems likely that Albert and Charlene did too.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Zara though only announced the first miscarriage because she had already announced the pregnancy so she had to announce the miscarriage. She only spoke about the second one after she had safely delivered Lena.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It's sad for any couple. But how very private of her to share this with no need other than bringing attention again to the 'are you ok' saga in South Africa, shifting the attention to herself.
I am aware that this is a very controversial topic (see Chrissy Teigen) but I don't like the constant choosing of privacy when it suits and abandoning it when it can be instrumentalised for a personal agenda.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I feel very sorry for Meghan and Harry. I hope that they will be able to overcome these difficult moments.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It's sad for any couple. But how very private of her to share this with no need other than bringing attention again to the 'are you ok' saga in South Africa, shifting the attention to herself.
I am aware that this is a very controversial topic (see Chrissy Teigen) but I don't like the constant choosing of privacy when it suits and abandoning it when it can be instrumentalised for a personal agenda.
It is a very private matter, and I dont think she needs to tell people - as she's now a private person. Even as a royal there's no need to tell people. but if it helps her to deal with the process its Ok..

Closed Thread