The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Sovereign Grant paid the refurbishment because Harry and Meghan were going to be working royals - just as it is paying for the refurbishment of BP and paid for the refurbishment of William and Catherine's apartment at KP.

Eugenie isn't a working royal and so will be responsible for any repairs etc herself.

It is quite simple - Sovereign Grant used for Crown Estate properties used by working royals. Private financing needed for any property, Crown Estate or otherwise used by non-working royals. Private financing needed for any non-Crown Estate property e.g. Anmer Hall.

So Sovereign Grant for Apartment 1a at KP and Frogmore when William and Harry were working royals but when Harry stepped back he had to repay the refurbishment costs.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it known how long this arrangement will last, I.e. is it something temporary while Eugenie and Jack are house hunting in Windsor or their chosen house is going through renovations, or is it something more permanent? I can’t imagine that barring some emergency situation H&M and Archie would be returning to the UK with all that’s going on with COVID for at least another 9 months to a year.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Sovereign Grant paid the refurbishment because Harry and Meghan were going to be working royals - just as it is paying for the refurbishment of BP and paid for the refurbishment of William and Catherine's apartment at KP.

Eugenie isn't a working royal and so will be responsible for any repairs etc herself.

It is quite simple - Sovereign Grant used for Crown Estate properties used by working royals. Private financing needed for any property, Crown Estate or otherwise used by non-working royals. Private financing needed for any non-Crown Estate property e.g. Anmer Hall.

So Sovereign Grant for Apartment 1a at KP and Frogmore when William and Harry were working royals but when Harry stepped back he had to repay the refurbishment costs.
I don't think Harry had to pay anything. In fact when he did pay it back many in the press all but said no one asked him to and even acted offended that he did. Harry and Meghan decided to do themselves because they clearly didn't want to feel like they owed something to the UK. They volunteered it.

That said who knows what Eugenie will pay. My guess she will just deal with the typical upkeep. Harry and Meghan paid years of rent upfront. I will guess they are letting their cousins live their rent free until they find a place of their own.

Or maybe after sometime they will buy them out the lease? Time will tell.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Majesty

According to Chris Ship Frogmore Cottage remains the Sussexes property.
When they come to the UK they will stay with the Brooksbanks and share the property. And the arrangement has been discussed with other members of the Royal Family, (presumably the Queen and perhaps Prince Charles.)

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisship...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 11-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Nobility

Frogmore Cottage is not now, never has been, and never will be, the Sussex's property.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 PM
Majesty

No, neither is Highgrove Charles's property. Or Anmer the Cambridges'. Nor is Royal Lodge owned by Andrew. Nevertheless, these houses remain their homes. As does Frogmore Cottage remain the home for when Harry and Meghan are in the UK. And it was the Sussexes who made the arrangements for the Brooksbanks to move in and to share when they themselves visit the UK, with the agreement of the Queen.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It’s as much their property as the other homes of the royals are the “private property” of them. All that means if it’s their home. They leased it. They put up years of rent, apparently. So that’s a contract.

So whatever arrangements made seems to be good. Glad it worked out.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that if or when the Sussexes come to the UK, they will just stay in Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace.

But, what happens to Nottingham Cottage or Ivy Cottage?
Who will live there now?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But, what happens to Nottingham Cottage or Ivy Cottage?
Who will live there now?

I wouldn't be surprised if another palace staff member begins to live in either of the two cottages.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Majesty

Ivy Cottage and Nott Cott will revert to being used by KP staff, I would guess.

As for staying at BP or Windsor, it would seem odd that the info that has been given to Royal Correspondents etc is that the Sussexes and Brooksbanks will share Frogmore during Harry and Meghan's visits if the intention is that the Sussex family go elsewhere.

You would think that would increase the mistrust RRs already complain of when info they're given later turns out to be blatant misrepresentation, as with William's Covid scare.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, neither is Highgrove Charles's property. Or Anmer the Cambridges'. Nor is Royal Lodge owned by Andrew. Nevertheless, these houses remain their homes. As does Frogmore Cottage remain the home for when Harry and Meghan are in the UK. And it was the Sussexes who made the arrangements for the Brooksbanks to move in and to share when they themselves visit the UK, with the agreement of the Queen.
I'm confused. No one ever said these were those people's property, did they? Or implied that Frogmore isn't the Sussex's home?

I was merely responding to a tweet from a Royal reporter, supplied by you, that saying that Frogmore would remain the Sussex's property. Frogmore isn't the Sussex's property. I was making the point that if the source of the story is a tweet from a person who think that the Sussexes own the property, it comes from someone who doesn't understand the relationship between the party and the house, and therefore probably doesn't have much of an idea what is going on to start with.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I'm confused. No one ever said these were those people's property, did they? Or implied that Frogmore isn't the Sussex's home?

I was merely responding to a tweet from a Royal reporter, supplied by you, that saying that Frogmore would remain the Sussex's property. Frogmore isn't the Sussex's property. I was making the point that if the source of the story is a tweet from a person who think that the Sussexes own the property, it comes from someone who doesn't understand the relationship between the party and the house, and therefore probably doesn't have much of an idea what is going on to start with.
Curryong is right. It’s actually called subletting and is quite popular. The Sussexes are subletting to the Brooksbanks.

The property may not be the Sussexes in technicalities, but they’ve paid decades of rent as well as the refurbishment of it out of pocket. It is essentially their’s to do with as they see fit until the government says other wise (and given that they’ve got their money and have other things going on atm, I doubt they care).
Old 11-20-2020, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Chris Ship is the Royal Editor for ITV in Britain, has been so for several years, and presents Royal Rota, giving weekly news of the royals. He's a Royal correspondent just as the others, Jobson, English, Palmer etc, are and I'd suggest he knows as much about the Royal Family as they do.

Even the BP spokesman today referred to Frogmore Cottage as 'the private residence of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex'. He and everyone else commenting on the situation, including Ship, surely doesn't have to qualify every statement by going into the nuts and bolts of every leaseholder in the RF, every property gifted by the sovereign etc, when stating something about royal residences.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Thank you for that, @Iluvbertie.

Might anybody know if a long leasehold on Frogmore Cottage was purcahsed by the Queen or the PoW from the Crown Estate prior to it being refurbished for H&M? This was the arrangement used for Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park, where the long lease was purchased at commercial terms. My guess is that is what the arrangement actually was.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:37 AM
Aristocracy

We know all the sordid details about Meghan not getting along with her birth family. It seems she didn’t enjoy living with/near her in-laws in the larger palaces, either - if they’d been happy there, they would have stayed put. Harry may have had some input into that decision, but I think it shows that when Meghan doesn’t want a certain living arrangement, she’s more than capable of asserting herself. There’s nothing wrong with that at all - I wouldn’t want to live under the same roof as my in-laws, either, no matter how big a roof it was.

Frogmore’s plenty large for two families by normal people standards, but it’s a lot smaller than the palaces she and Harry didn’t want to share with closer relatives. Harry probably knows Eugenie well enough, but he can’t have spent much time with Jack, and Meghan can’t have spent much time with either of them. If they’re actually assuming they’ll like sharing Frogmore with Eugenie and Jack better than they liked sharing a much larger home with Harry’s immediate family, I think they’re being unrealistic and this arrangement won’t last long. I don’t mean that as a reflection on Eugenie or Jack, but I doubt they’re all that different than the rest of Harry’s relatives that Harry and Meghan didn’t want to live with, and whatever reasons they had for that desire will still apply.

More likely, I don’t think they intend to stay there for any length of time. Or at least, I don’t think Meghan does. I just can’t imagine her being ok with living with her husband’s cousins during in-person visits with her husbands parents, grandparents, and brother that are likely to be very tense. Frankly, I don’t believe she agreed to any such thing, or if she did, it was with no intention of every actually doing it. Staying at the palace would be even worse, so I think the end result is going to be that she never or almost never returns.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think that if or when the Sussexes come to the UK, they will just stay in Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace.
When they last visited in March 2020, I think H&M stayed at The Goring Hotel. Perhaps they may find BP or Windsor not up to their standards, or may be concerned about surveillance.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:52 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
We know all the sordid details about Meghan not getting along with her birth family. It seems she didn’t enjoy living with/near her in-laws in the larger palaces, either - if they’d been happy there, they would have stayed put. Harry may have had some input into that decision, but I think it shows that when Meghan doesn’t want a certain living arrangement, she’s more than capable of asserting herself. There’s nothing wrong with that at all - I wouldn’t want to live under the same roof as my in-laws, either, no matter how big a roof it was.

Frogmore’s plenty large for two families by normal people standards, but it’s a lot smaller than the palaces she and Harry didn’t want to share with closer relatives. Harry probably knows Eugenie well enough, but he can’t have spent much time with Jack, and Meghan can’t have spent much time with either of them. If they’re actually assuming they’ll like sharing Frogmore with Eugenie and Jack better than they liked sharing a much larger home with Harry’s immediate family, I think they’re being unrealistic and this arrangement won’t last long. I don’t mean that as a reflection on Eugenie or Jack, but I doubt they’re all that different than the rest of Harry’s relatives that Harry and Meghan didn’t want to live with, and whatever reasons they had for that desire will still apply.

More likely, I don’t think they intend to stay there for any length of time. Or at least, I don’t think Meghan does. I just can’t imagine her being ok with living with her husband’s cousins during in-person visits with her husbands parents, grandparents, and brother that are likely to be very tense. Frankly, I don’t believe she agreed to any such thing, or if she did, it was with no intention of every actually doing it. Staying at the palace would be even worse, so I think the end result is going to be that she never or almost never returns.
Harry and Meghan don’t live in Frogmore and haven’t since March (and didn’t they stay in a hotel then?). Archie hasn’t been there in nearly a year. They’ve made it abundantly clear that they’ll only be using frogmore IF they return to the UK on an extended basis, which, barring some catastrophe, is not likely to happen. I highly doubt they’ll be cohabitating.

This is just letting someone subletting a house. Not two families cohabitating.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Wakanda View Post
Harry and Meghan don’t live in Frogmore and haven’t since March (and didn’t they stay in a hotel then?). Archie hasn’t been there in nearly a year. They’ve made it abundantly clear that they’ll only be using frogmore IF they return to the UK on an extended basis, which, barring some catastrophe, is not likely to happen. I highly doubt they’ll be cohabitating.

I agree, but others were posting about H&M staying there if/when they visited. I thought that came from the article, but apparently it didn't. I just don't think they're ever going to visit.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Harry. Even if he'd truly rather live in LA, which I doubt, he'd surely like to visit his family occasionally.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Wakanda View Post

I have to agree with you, this seems to be a simple subletting arrangement.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That is incorrect. Highgrove is a personal purchase of Charles' , as is P. Anne's home. The castle of May is also privately owned, as is Sandringhsm (by the monarch).

Harry and Meghan will never stay there. If they return to England, they will stay in a hotel in London. Windsor is not a convenient drive if you are doing engagements in London. Close, but traffic is a pain and all those royals who live there also keep a pied de Terre. Wouldn't surprise me if Ivy Cottage is kept as a potential for both fsmilies to crash at if needed but seeing as Harry and Meghan stayed at a grossly expensive hotel rather than Notts Cott last time they were here, I would say not.

Closed Thread