The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Just to advise that posts relating to royal fashion/designers have been moved to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...yals-9996.html thread.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It could be worse. Instead of getting a photo released by a charity/organization where Harry put some time in, we could be getting a gazillion photos of Harry and Meghan out at the local hot spot hobnobbing with the great and the good of celebrity culture or pictures of them sailing along on their brand hew sailboat with Archie is cute life jacket and sailor hat as mom and dad soak up the California sunshine.

We really haven't seen much of Harry and Meghan out on the town or shopping and things that usually bring celebrities to the forefront of glossy magazine covers. They've basically been keeping their private, social life private and what we do see, right or wrong, pertains to how they want their public lives to go.

I give them kudos for not being "front and center" in the glamorous, celebrity packed glitz world that we know exists. That's to their credit.
It would be a bit difficult for them to do this at present when there are no glam events or socialite goings on, at least not ones that are publicised. And I dont think they want their private life whether glamourous and social, or quietly being at home, to be publicized. So they are not going to do that. What they want is for their working life to be more glamorous than a visit to a baby centre in provincial England, they want to be influencers on the political scene and the celebrity charity circuit, and that is what they are publicizing. "Look at us, we do meaningful charity work in the US and mix with the great and good here..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That's how I see it too. They *are* going to be out there front and center when it comes to something they're involved with and want to draw public attention to but I do believe that if it really was "all about them", we'd be seeing quite a different story in pictures and events. Even with the pandemic.

I still chuckle over the fact that they got "formally" engaged over cooking a roast chicken in the kitchen and to this day, its how I imagine they prefer their private "at home" life to be.
THey don't want their "at home private life" to be publicized and possibly they dont have much taste for parties and clubbing. but they DO want to be noticed and go to glamourous events for "charity" and politics. They clearly didn't greatly enjoy UK life where there weren't that many red carpet charity things, and where their working life might well consist of trips abroad which can be tiring, and a lot of dull stuff in charity centres in the duller cities of England with the RF's social life of shooting, fishing, barbeques at Balmoral etc. After the first Christmas I don't get the feeling that they mixed all that much with the RF and probably Meg felt that she had not intended to sign up for a social life of wet weather, wellies and sitting round the piano at Balmoral...

Old 11-19-2020, 05:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
THey don't want their "at home private life" to be publicized and possibly they dont have much taste for parties and clubbing. but they DO want to be noticed and go to glamourous events for "charity" and politics. They clearly didn't greatly enjoy UK life where there weren't that many red carpet charity things, and where their working life might well consist of trips abroad which can be tiring, and a lot of dull stuff in charity centres in the duller cities of England with the RF's social life of shooting, fishing, barbeques at Balmoral etc. After the first Christmas I don't get the feeling that they mixed all that much with the RF and probably Meg felt that she had not intended to sign up for a social life of wet weather, wellies and sitting round the piano at Balmoral...
I don't think Meghan is particularly into horses as well, which is one of the main hinderance, as the Queen enjoys horse riding and horse racing. Having said that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie may not be keen on horses either. I guess they might be into other outdoor activities or even cars (like Peter Phillips/Autumn Phillips/James, Viscount Severn).

Your post also highlighted the drastic difference between big cities and rural villages as well as regions/counties in the UK. Whilst the senior working royals have their offices in London, their downtimes are mostly in rural areas. There is a phrase called "London/Westminster bubble" or "Surburban/Great cities bubbles", not just politically, but also culturally speaking. Also I think Meghan's activism in gender/racial equality would not be well received in working class areas or rural regions. This is especially after she took part in a campaign to decolonise the curriculum. It might sit well in University towns and large cities (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Brighton, Sheffield, Liverpool etc.). However, given that working-class boys have been one of the worst performing groups in schools and university placements, I don't think "white privilege" and "male privilege" sits well.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...ties-p8znzs5gl

I also don't think Meghan would enjoy doing engagements similar to those completed by The Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex, Duke of Gloucester etc. where there are no glamorous red carpet events or major media coverage, but local charities & causes with local newspaper coverage.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I don't think Meghan is particularly into horses as well, which is one of the main hinderance, as the Queen enjoys horse riding and horse racing. Having said that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie may not be keen on horses either. I guess they might be into other outdoor activities or even cars (like Peter Phillips/Autumn Phillips/James, Viscount Severn).

Your post also highlighted the drastic difference between big cities and rural villages as well as regions/counties in the UK. Whilst the senior working royals have their offices in London, their downtimes are mostly in rural areas. There is a phrase called "London/Westminster bubble" or "Surburban/Great cities bubbles", not just politically, but also culturally speaking. Also I think Meghan's activism in gender/racial equality would not be well received in working class areas or rural regions. This is especially after she took part in a campaign to decolonise the curriculum. It might sit well in University towns and large cities (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Brighton, Sheffield, Liverpool etc.).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...ties-p8znzs5gl

I also don't think Meghan would enjoy doing engagements similar to those completed by The Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex, Duke of Gloucester etc. where there are no glamorous red carpet events or major media coverage, but local charities & causes with local newspaper coverage.
That's a very good point about Megahn's type of activisim. I hadn't thought of that...
Basically I think that Meghan isn't a party animal or has outgrown her "clubbing" days..and prefers a quiet private life.. and certainly not one which is on the cover of the tabloids next morning.. so its not greatly to her credit that she and Harry have not been seen out dancing every night (not that that's possible right now anyway). But i DO believe that in her working life she wanted something a lot more sophisticated than that which usually falls to a member of the RF who isn't the heir. Anne, Edward etc dont get much publicity and I think that Meghan had envisaged a lot more glamour in her working life than foreign tours to places which are stressful and tiring, and the rest of the time spent visiting a northern town or some out of the way place and opening a clinic in a back street.. I think she thought there would be a lot of favourable press attention and didn't realize that the RF don't always get good press and often get quite mean coverage... That she'd go to Wimbledon and get a whole block of seats because she was a Princess. Or that there would be sophisticated people invited to dinner to hear her wisdom..!
And it wasn't really nearly as grandiose a life as she had expected...
Then in her down time, she was given a house in the country, not a London pad and I suppose it was expected that she'd turn up to Balmoral or Sandringham and tolerate a muddy weekend with the queen -. I think that the queen is less likely now to insist that most of the RF turn up for Xmas etc. in the country but there's still a certain amount of duty visits and Meghan didn't enjoy them and she and Harry seem to have avoided them in the last year...
I agree that not all royals may love the country and horsey sports but out of respect and affection for the queen they do make the duty visits and make the best of them.. but Meghan after her first Christmas before she got married, didn't enjoy that sort of thing and tried to avoid it...
Old 11-19-2020, 05:34 AM
Serene Highness

She thought she would be the star, the new Diana.
That was not going to happen.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:51 AM
Royal Highness

okay - it looks like Harry and Meghan have started asking around for endorsement deals. Rather Sunshine Sachs is on their behalf. I cant see anything online - but PR people in America seem to think it is funny. (unsure why - trying to find out)
So Meghan and Harry want to be paid to wear specific clothes, watches and jewelry. And this might also include Archie.
I am told celebrities get better salaries this way then movies and that this is how David Beckham made a lot of his money. if there is any truth in this - looks like they have moved on to part 2 of how to make money. Don't you also have to appear in the commercial - or was this the way it was done in the 1990's. Now you just post it online or slip it to Omid?
I understand that royals have done this in the past, so they might have precedence. It is just we might have a situation where designers will be bidding to have their clothes at royal events.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
okay - it looks like Harry and Meghan have started asking around for endorsement deals. Rather Sunshine Sachs is on their behalf. I cant see anything online - but PR people in America seem to think it is funny. (unsure why - trying to find out)
So Meghan and Harry want to be paid to wear specific clothes, watches and jewelry. And this might also include Archie.
I am told celebrities get better salaries this way then movies and that this is how David Beckham made a lot of his money. if there is any truth in this - looks like they have moved on to part 2 of how to make money. Don't you also have to appear in the commercial - or was this the way it was done in the 1990's. Now you just post it online or slip it to Omid?
I understand that royals have done this in the past, so they might have precedence. It is just we might have a situation where designers will be bidding to have their clothes at royal events.

Where did you see this? Do you have a link?

LaRae
Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Although completely unconfirmed it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as this is one of the most lucrative ways for famous people to make money. To discuss your general points:

There is precedence in that Zara is a brand ambassador for various luxury products but she doesn't turn up at Trooping wearing Musto for example and doesn't use her connection mother or grandmother to promote them.

Peter Philips got into trouble for using "member of the BRF" on his endorsements in China and it was swiftly pulled.

There would certainly be an outcry if it openly became a "designers are bidding to dress Meghan for whichever event she came back for". And that would be another reason they aren't invited back for the glamourous big days in the family calendar that they obviously do want to be involved with.

I think this is partly what HM/Charles/William were trying to avoid when they nixed the half in half out plan and (attempted to) ban the couple using HRH and their titles for commercial ventures. They didn't want "Official tour of Oceania sponsored by Chanel and Rolex" or "Trooping sponsored by Gucci" etc.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Aristocracy

Does he not realise that his actions and his words contradicts each other?

Does he not realise how ridiculous and hypocritical he sound?

Quote:
Prince Harry claims service should be done 'in quiet' when 'people aren't looking' as he joins star-studded veterans fundraiser - one week after being slammed over 'publicity stunt' photoshoot on Remembrance Sunday
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...hotoshoot.html
Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Does he not realise that his actions and his words contradicts each other?

Does he not realise how ridiculous and hypocritical he sound?

if he's said that, he really is pretty stupid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Although completely unconfirmed it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as this is one of the most lucrative ways for famous people to make money. To discuss your general points:

There is precedence in that Zara is a brand ambassador for various luxury products but she doesn't turn up at Trooping wearing Musto for example and doesn't use her connection mother or grandmother to promote them.

Peter Philips got into trouble for using "member of the BRF" on his endorsements in China and it was swiftly pulled.

T.
There is a difference with Zara in that she is an untitled junior member of the RF, who has never worked for the Firm. Harry left working for the firm because - well IMO largely because they were told that they COULDNT do money making things and be working senior royals. And while it has helped Zara that she's a granddaughter of the queen.. she is also an expert horsewoman and has some fame in her own rights. As you say, though Peter Phillips has crossed lines in some of his business work.. and there's always a danger when minor royals are seen to be using their social status and connection with the RF in their attempts to make a living.. There's a fine line and its easy to cross it.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
if he's said that, he really is pretty stupid....
He did said it, according to this tweet released from Bob Woodruff Foundation
Bob Woodruff Foundation @Stand4Heroes
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, said it best, "Service is what happens in the quiet and the chaos." Every dollar is impactful – this year more than ever – so if you can, please #donatenow to our veterans at https://standup.bobwoodrufffoundation.org #SUFH2020 #Stand4Heroes
1:14 PM · Nov 19, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/Stand4Heroes/sta...46733436641282

I watched the video on the Daily Mail and "Service is what happens in the quiet and the chaos." was said by Prince Harry.
Quote:
I wanted to honor the legacy of these men and women who have given up so much - from time with family to birthdays missed and even births missed.

Some lost their limbs and others lost their lives. It's for that reason that I created the Invictus Games - to give injured servicemen and women a platform to excel and reaffirm their values of resilience, of community and strength, which are inherent in each and every one of us.

For the whole world, this year has been and continues to be incredibly hard,' he said. 'But we've also seen incredible resilience and purpose.

As far as I see it, service is what happens in the quiet and in the chaos. It's what happens when people aren't looking and it's about how we take care of each other every single day.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:08 AM
Majesty

Harry was referring in that statement to his and other vets' service careers, and his devotion to that in creating the Invictus Games, in appealing for donations. The Bob Woodruff Foundation which aims to help vets, quoted it so obviously thought it was fine.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
He did said it, according to this tweet released from Bob Woodruff Foundation
Bob Woodruff Foundation @Stand4Heroes
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, said it best, "Service is what happens in the quiet and the chaos." Every dollar is impactful – this year more than ever – so if you can, please #donatenow to our veterans at https://standup.bobwoodrufffoundation.org #SUFH2020 #Stand4Heroes
1:14 PM · Nov 19, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/Stand4Heroes/sta...46733436641282

I watched the video on the Daily Mail and "Service is what happens in the quiet and the chaos." was said by Prince Harry.

really? A man who takes a photographer with him to a private act of remembrance says that service is done quietly?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
really? A man who takes a photographer with him to a private act of remembrance says that service is done quietly?
Harry performed quietly enough in his ten years of service in the armed forces and also in the chaos of war on active service.

Anyone would think that he took a hundred celebrities and a rock band with him to the LA cemetery instead of his wife and one photographer, when he left flowers on Commonwealth graves.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry performed quietly enough in his ten years of service in the armed forces and also in the chaos of war on active service.

Anyone would think that he took a hundred celebrities and a rock band with him to the LA cemetery instead of his wife and one photographer, when he left flowers on Commonwealth graves.
it doesn't matter how many. One photographer or 100, it was unnecessary and it is pretty stupid of him now just after that event to refer to service as being quiet and unnoticed. As I've said before yes charity and service SHOULD be done quietly, without fanfare or advertisement. Sadly, that isn't a message that resonates well in today's world.. where with some people everything trey do no matter how meaningless or trivial, winds up on social media and charity has become big business and a way of celebs getting their faces in the paper....
Old 11-19-2020, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Charities are set up to help various sections of the community who need assistance. To give that assistance doesn't just require volunteers, but also donations. And just because people are famous doesn't automatically mean that they are insincere about helping with worthwhile causes. In fact some celebrities have given millions to charities of all types and set up their own Foundations to help others.

I don't know how these organisations are to assist those who need it if they get no publicity for their cause, and that requires public figures, whether they are well known locals, celebrities, sports people, etc or royals getting involved. How else are these charities to get donations?
Old 11-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

No surprise the Daily Mail takes what Harry says out of context and spin it!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Charities are set up to help various sections of the community who need assistance. To give that assistance doesn't just require volunteers, but also donations. And just because people are famous doesn't automatically mean that they are insincere about helping with worthwhile causes. In fact some celebrities have given millions to charities of all types and set up their own Foundations to help others.

I don't know how these organisations are to assist those who need it if they get no publicity for their cause, and that requires public figures, whether they are well known locals, celebrities, sports people, etc or royals getting involved. How else are these charities to get donations?
There are always going to be people who will give large donations. and there are people who will give small donations and give their time.. which can be more valuable. I don't say all celebs are insincere about this sort of thing, but a lot of them are doing it because it is "expected" now of a rich celeb that he has some charity work that is supposed to be "giving back to the community".. and it gets him or her attention.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Majesty

There are plenty of celebrities who give generously of both their time and their money and are absolutely sincere in wanting to help others.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Majesty

I'm sure there are, but its expected of movie stars and music stars and so on now that they have "foundations" and "help others." So by the law of averages, many are no doubt doing it simply because its expected.

Closed Thread