The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the provenance of OnBuy it was you who stated that the online service was a tabloid, which it isn't and has never been.

That's the rub surely. The data from this study is not based on any credible methodology as compared to something like yougov.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary?

A number of posts have been deleted or edited as they were either off topic, involved bickering and point scoring between members, or added nothing to the discussion. Any further posts along those lines will also be deleted.

In addition, I suggest that all members take a few minutes to look at the moderator/administrator instructions on the first page of this thread to review what topics are not permitted.

Last edited:
That poll wasn't originally from a tabloid, actually. And, with regard to all the other untruths and hurtful inferences printed about this couple in tabloid newspapers I hope that posters here and everywhere else will please consider the source of these stories before leaping to instant conclusions, and criticism.

Quite correct, also with regards other members of the family, we should not jump to conclusions and put our own spin on the ' stories'.

Quite correct, also with regards other members of the family, we should not jump to conclusions and put our own spin on the ' stories'.

Very true. Not underestimate but also overestimate the current role of the Sussexes.
It works both ways.

Agreed!
No to jumping to conclusions or putting spins on stories :sad:
The Sussexes do have a lot in store for 2021; certainly looking forward to future discussions…

So yes to FAIR and BALANCED posts and discussions :flowers:

Last edited:
Agreed!
No to jumping to conclusions or putting spins on stories :sad:
The Sussexes do have a lot in store for 2021; certainly looking forward to future discussions…

So yes to FAIR and BALANCED posts and discussions :flowers:

I agree but on all threads, not just the Sussex threads.

I agree but on all threads, not just the Sussex threads.

Well yes indeed.

And as for spin, well we could start with nonsense polls. Whatever they say. Plenty of those in the tabloids unfortunately.

And on that note, let's move back to the topic of the thread which is to discuss NEWS and CURRENT EVENTS, not a debate about one another, what we post or the merits (or lack thereof) of Polls.

I would say they are both polarizing. Popular? Maybe more in America than in England but even then many American's don't care about the Royal Family.

Anderson Cooper and Kelly Ripa are hosting CNN Heroes right. On stage they just announced that Meghan was their special guest. Not sure if she will be there in person or on video, but she will be there on the show tonight.

I think it is more likely to be via video link, but anyway, Good. I'll be interested to hear what Meghan has to say.

To me when she says "we" it seems to refer to "Harry and I" rather than all the 'heroes' in the US feeding the needy. I'm trying hard not to look at the negative in everything they do but we know about the work/photo opportunities they've done during the pandemic.

I believe that Meghan's 'we' refers to the grateful public who are not only honouring emergency and health workers but volunteers and others (the 'quiet heroes feeding the hungry') during the pandemic.

Just because there were photos doesn't mean that either Harry or Meghan were insincere publicity hounds when they have tried to help in various ways in this crisis.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that the debate relating to the Sussex's desire for a certain level of privacy whilst continuing public lives is now deemed repetitive as per the Mod note a few weeks ago. It is not a topic we wish to have reignited in the threads, although members are free to discuss it amongst one another by private message.

To me when she says "we" it seems to refer to "Harry and I" rather than all the 'heroes' in the US feeding the needy. I'm trying hard not to look at the negative in everything they do but we know about the work/photo opportunities they've done during the pandemic.

And yet thats what you do.

She repeats 'we the community', 'we the people', we..... Its quite clear she is talking about the general public, not herself.

And even if she was talking about her and Harry what's wrong with that :ermm:

She wasn't saying 'Look at all the good we have done'. She is saying 'we have seen all the good the others have done'. So even if you think she means her and Harry she is literally saying 'we recognize all the work charities and front line workers are doing'. How is this any different then standing outside and clapping? This woman can't even thank workers and charities without being called selfish and self absorbed.

Do you have a problem with other Private citizens working and making money during the past nine months? Or just them?

Apparently she asked to be included again, like the 19th Summit in August.
Ouch, that's... sad.

I was reminded today that I miss Meghan's public speaking ability, though in difference to feminism or girl education you can feel her heart is not in it, she sounded subdued and stilted. But that doesn't change the fact that the speech was very well written and nice. Though I did have a laugh around the "a meal is like a hug" because WTH? ?

Harry would not be Harry Mountbatten Windsor if the Sussex title was dropped. He would simply go back to being Prince Harry of Wales, which he has been from birth, as one of the two sons of the Prince of Wales. (Edward VIII abdicated as King-Emperor he wasn't addressed as 'Mr Windsor' but as Prince Edward (temporarily) until he was given the Dukedom.)

The address 'Mountbatten-Windsor' would never be used by any sons of the Prince of Wales. It simply isn't Harry's surname, so why would he use it?

I disagree and my response is here.

Last edited:
Apparently she asked to be included again, like the 19th Summit in August.

Where was this stated?

Meghan also reportedly gave Oprah a pricey basket. She opened it on a video and gave a plug to the makers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-hamper-coffee-blends-mark-day-Christmas.html

Meghan is an investor in the brand. Just announced.

https://fortune.com/2020/12/14/meghan-markle-exclusive-first-investment-clevr-blends/

I wonder if Oprah knew. It also confuses me that youtubers have to inform you if there is a promotion coming their way.
yep - we are going to see a lot of these announcements early next year. It seems that they have a lot of fingers in every pot. Not a bad thing - dividing the risk.

At this point, they're just influencers with famous friends. Which is their prerogative, I guess. I don't believe for a second that Oprah instagrams every Christmas gift she gets, or that Meghan didn't ask her to post this one.

The problem is that people who are constantly shilling some random thing or other (seriously, oat milk lattes?) to make money for themselves aren't likely to be going seriously when they talk about charitable issues, because everyone knows better than to take anything they say at face value.

I wonder if Oprah knew. It also confuses me that youtubers have to inform you if there is a promotion coming their way.
yep - we are going to see a lot of these announcements early next year. It seems that they have a lot of fingers in every pot. Not a bad thing - dividing the risk.

She would have to know, she opened it on camera and told everyone exactly what it was, which she doesn't do every time one of her famous friends sends her something as far as I can see.

It seems there's been a 1-2 punch today. A CNN appearance to remind us they're serious philanthropist Royals who will be doing (pseudo) Royal Events that are more to their liking than what they were doing before. Even though they had many important projects that where tailored to their interests in the UK, just more restrictions, but fine.

And a perfectly co-ordinated "look at this awesome gift Meghan gave me and you can buy it too" which she invested in for their commercial arm.

Whilst you have to say "includes paid promotion" on youtube/Insta etc if a company is sponsoring you, I don't think you have to announce you're doing a favour to a friend who just happens to have a financial stake in the lovely gift you just enthused about.

Last edited:
They have to - if they got paid for it, and I doubt Oprah was. But there might be more promotional videos coming from influencers, plenty of them in California.

It seems there's been a 1-2 punch today. A CNN appearance to remind us they're serious philanthropist Royals who will be doing (pseudo) Royal Events that are more to their liking than what they were doing before. Even though they had many important projects that where tailored to their interests in the UK, just more restrictions, but fine.

And a perfectly co-ordinated "look at this awesome gift Meghan gave me and you can buy it too" which she invested in for their commercial arm.
Well, as far as strategy goes, this isn't a bad one. While I might personally not agree with trying to sell "her" products by posing as a philanthropist and thanking the frontline workers/communities for their action during a global pandemic, this is a well thought out action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom