The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one feel that they are so important, that everything and everyone had to be cleared out , so they can walk in and have photos made of them, there is something really wrong with their EGO. The Queen would have never demanded something like this, because she has class. It must be very stressful to be this important ha ha. Maybe I have to try this the next time I will go to the store, lets see how far this will get me?

Why would you need your agent to coordinate that you go and buy a Christmas tree. They really think high of themselves/have a sense of enormous self-importance :ermm:

Why would you need your agent to coordinate that you go and buy a Christmas tree. They really think high of themselves/have a sense of enormous self-importance :ermm:

Everything they do goes is opposite their stated wish of just wanting to be Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor and reflects their desire still to be Duke and Duchess of Sussex :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is just America. They shut down shops when famous people enter...at least in California. I doubt they would do it in New York. Happened to a friend of mine...a shol she went into in LA was shut after she entered and she turned around to find she was the only one in the store. They thought she was Mischa Barton.,
It's just a different life. Leave them to it. They will soon be irrelevant.

Oh my goodness!! What did she say to them? Did she tell them she was not Mischa Barton?

Oh my goodness!! What did she say to them? Did she tell them she was not Mischa Barton?

Well she went up to them and said, I am sorry are you closing? They said we thought you would like to shop in privacy. She asked why? Anyway however this conversation panned put they revealed that they thought she was Mischa Barton and she said they had made a mistake but she was flattered. She felt compelled to buy something though after all the hassle. And it wasnt a cheap shop.

it is their business model to get noticed otherwise they are forgotten soon. you can be super famous and do your shopping in the grocery store just like everyone else, without being photographed or even actively seen. a good example is sean penn, oscar winning actor who does a lot of charity but choses not to show off his private life, it is boring anyway. his basis to go public are his movies and projects.
H&M don't have any basis, the RF is gone, although they still cling onto it by using Duke and Duchess but this will wear out eventually, and then there is nothing.
So they have to do something or be seen or think about what to do and say every damn day because otherwise they will be history soon in an environment like LA.

The RF is not gone. They are still royals, they are still Duke and Duchess. They are simply private citizens like Beatrice and Eugenie.

What people mean is they desperately hope to be proven right that Harry is a 'nothing because he isn't heir' and he will vanish from memory. Just like 'his wedding will be nothing because he isn't heir'. And 'there will be no interest in his son' because he isn't heir. One of these days you have to be right???

Newspapers don't care about royals because they are 'working royals'. They care about what sells newspapers.

Harry and Meghan are actively supporting their charities. As they said they would continue to do when they left. And their titles help bring PR to those charities and causes.

Them vanishing benefits no one but those who are desperate for them to be a non-entity.

The RF is not gone. They are still royals, they are still Duke and Duchess. They are simply private citizens like Beatrice and Eugenie.

What people mean is they desperately hope to be proven right that Harry is a 'nothing because he isn't heir' and he will vanish from memory. Just like 'his wedding will be nothing because he isn't heir'. And 'there will be no interest in his son' because he isn't heir. One of these days you have to be right???

Newspapers don't care about royals because they are 'working royals'. They care about what sells newspapers.

Harry and Meghan are actively supporting their charities. As they said they would continue to do when they left. And their titles help bring PR to those charities and causes.

Them vanishing benefits no one but those who are desperate for them to be a non-entity.
No, the RF isn't gone.. but Harry is gone from it. So he can do what he likes its of no consequence to the RF.

Another is that the general public dislikes them and will not welcome them if they return. I remember similar comments were said before their return in March. That wasn’t the case then and I doubt it will be in the future...

There was a comment in this morning's paper about how much happier Harry looked when he was falling out of nightclubs. OK, by 36 I think most people are past falling out of nightclubs, but William, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are in a similar age group and they all seem happy. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Harry look happy. I think it was in that photo of Archie wearing a cute woolly hat with bobbles, which must have been over a year ago.

People see what they want to see and what those individuals want you to see. I’ve seen plenty videos of Harry in good spirits but we also know in recent months they been in a personal hell with the tragic loss.

We don’t know these people or what’s going on behind the scenes. Whether it is you, me, or The Queen... a snapshot never tells the whole story.

It is also telling the papers miss playboy wild child Harry. I bet they do...

Another is that the general public dislikes them and will not welcome them if they return. I remember similar comments were said before their return in March. That wasn’t the case then and I doubt it will be in the future...

While it is true that the Sussexes' popularity has dropped according to the Oct. YouGov poll, I do agree that the general public would be welcoming when they make a return trip to the UK.

How do you know that the general public dislikes them, I live in the UK and I wouldn't say that is the general feeling.
Among those who care I would say there is a mixture of sadness, and disappointment in them. I think they would be welcomed back in their roles as a support to the queen and Charles.
The British public would not like them using their position for personal gain. That is the difference.
IMO of course.

We don't know... that is the point. My comment was more about how some claimed the general public disliked them and wouldn't welcome them back when they were doing their final engagements. That was not the case.

Even now we have consistent comments about how the public has apparently soured on them and would not take well to them returning. Let's see how that plays out because they will eventually return to the UK and I expect the standard reaction.

Between the Global pandemic and floundering economies and incredible social injustices I really Seriously doubt the majority of people On the street Care enough to waste emotion getting angry about the actions of the Queens grandson and his wife or even really care if they come back. Serious Royal followers And Rabid Diana fans Excepted. Unless it’s to roll their eyes about Overly privileged titled men in expensive suits men sitting beautiful warm homes preaching at them.

Between the Global pandemic and floundering economies and incredible social injustices I really Seriously doubt the majority of people On the street Care enough to waste emotion getting angry about the actions of the Queens grandson and his wife or even really care if they come back. Serious Royal followers And Rabid Diana fans Excepted. Unless it’s to roll their eyes about Overly privileged titled men in expensive suits men sitting beautiful warm homes preaching at them.

You have hit the nail on the head there, totally agree.
We have too much serious stuff going on just now.
The national debt, covid, vaccine, unemployment, bankruptcy.
Harry and Meghan are free to make their own choices we should leave them to it. We reap what we sow.

A man has to grow up sometime and can't be falling out of nightclubs forever. Plus, Harry is only seen in random photos. I would fine it difficult to believe that the photo of Archie in the hat with Harry was the only time he smiled in over a year. Peter is divorced now, so it is not sunshine and roses for him, arguably, he is the unhappiest one. I don't think everybody thinks the same way about Harry, I think he still has fans and he is not "out of the family " and neither are his wife and son.

Off course their are people who would excuse Harry if he started juggling hamsters in the street wearing a mankini And then people who would find fault And complain if he made it Somehow made it rain hot Donuts and margaritas. Most people if they give a carp at at all However just want him to find a focus/passion in life, be seen having a decent Supportive relationship with his paternal family and live a happy useful mostly out of the spotlight.

Why does he need to disappear? That part I don't get. I think that if he finds something or that is he and his wife do, I am all for it. He could not disappear if he calls attention to worthy causes. I think he is great with helping veterans and I would like that to be his focus.. This year is not a true picture of how things will turn out for them due to COVID restrictions. I hope he and his paternal family support one another and they support his family as well.

There are individuals who want Harry and Meghan to be unseen for some reason. It is apparently a major sin they haven’t fallen off the planet.

You have hit the nail on the head there, totally agree.
We have too much serious stuff going on just now.
The national debt, covid, vaccine, unemployment, bankruptcy.
Harry and Meghan are free to make their own choices we should leave them to it. We reap what we sow.

All this is part of why they just aren’t a big deal in America. Even under the best or normal circumstances, the vast, vast majority of Americans don’t care about the Royals. Companies do because H and M have titles and are names, but that only helps regarding getting hired to make speeches, etc.. Will most Americans watch a Netflix production because H and M produced it? I doubt it. Would they buy products produced by H and M (such as things they talked about at the time of Megxit, like napkins, etc ..)? I don’t think so.

As to the public reaction when Harry returns, I don’t think a warm reception by those who show up to see him will be an indication of popularity. Charles and Camilla are warmly greeted (or were, pre-pandemic) in appearances, but they aren’t popular at all. People who dislike or hate them haven’t bothered to show up - and the same will go for H.

There was a comment in this morning's paper about how much happier Harry looked when he was falling out of nightclubs. OK, by 36 I think most people are past falling out of nightclubs, but William, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are in a similar age group and they all seem happy. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Harry look happy. I think it was in that photo of Archie wearing a cute woolly hat with bobbles, which must have been over a year ago.

He seemed very happy when he was doing that strictly zoon chat with his friend, but yes until then the last he seemed happy was in that christmas picture with Archie.

There are individuals who want Harry and Meghan to be unseen for some reason. It is apparently a major sin they haven’t fallen off the planet.

Happy to explain it again ? The problem several of us have is them 'living of their status as it relates to the BRF' while not being willing to serve the country as a working member of that same BRF. With such a position comes an enormous responsibility that they completely set aside.

So, if they truly wanted to serve; they should have done so within the framework of the BRF which provided ample opportunity to do so. If they do not primarily want to serve the people but instead do as they please but still crave their 'fame' garnered by their position within the BRF, that goes against everything a royal family stands for.

Now they've decided to prioritize a professional income and doing their own thing, they should do so without monetizing of or using their fame based on their family relations to the BRF. Unfortunately, that's not the case. If they would earn a professional income completely unrelated to their fame/relation to the BRF, while living a less 'rich and famous lifestyle', they could 'on the side' also showcase some of the causes they are passionate about (and which do not conflict with their close family ties to the British monarch).

Last edited:

I know I’ve been a tough critic of theirs, but I don’t think that they should remain “unseen.” For me, and I think many others here would agree, they’re private citizens now and are free to make their own income now in whatever legal way they wish... and their chosen way of doing that is to go the global celebrity philanthropist route. There’s nothing wrong with that, they can do a lot of good with it, and obviously to do this they are going to need to be seen and heard and live public lives. That’s perfectly understandable, you shouldn’t expect them to hide under a rock.

My issue (and again, I know many who would agree with this) is that they decided to walk away from life as working royals and yet are still using their titles as they try to build their own income and profile as private citizens. Additionally, many of the topics they’ve chosen to champion are very politically charged. Again, nothing wrong for them to do that now that they are private citizens, but they are still using their titles to promote these views, and that feels kind of slimy and disrespectful since it’s well-known that the royal family stays out of politics. They’ve also created this narrative that they left the UK to get out of the prying eyes of the hateful media, and so it does paint them as a bit hypocritical for still trying to court the media... they don’t have a problem with the media, they just want to have the upper hand and control the narrative.

My big issue is obviously the titles. I think the Queen wasn’t as harsh on them as she needed to be in terms of the use of titles. IMO (and of course my opinion doesn’t even matter!) is that they shouldn’t be able to use the titles at all for any personal money-making ventures. They walked away from the family so they obviously wanted to be “private citizens” in a way,, and they have decided to settle permanently outside of the UK... so using their British titles is a bit ridiculous. But I think they know that it’s the titles that get them the connections and attention and that “Harry Mountbatten-Windsor” or “Meghan Markle” just doesn’t have the same weight as “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”

Harry would not be Harry Mountbatten Windsor if the Sussex title was dropped. He would simply go back to being Prince Harry of Wales, which he has been from birth, as one of the two sons of the Prince of Wales. (Edward VIII abdicated as King-Emperor he wasn't addressed as 'Mr Windsor' but as Prince Edward (temporarily) until he was given the Dukedom.)

The address 'Mountbatten-Windsor' would never be used by any sons of the Prince of Wales. It simply isn't Harry's surname, so why would he use it?

In the US a Prince trumps a Duke anyway, so even if he dropped the Sussex title it wouldn't make any difference in terms of rank. And when Charles becomes King Harry and Meghan will be a King's son and daughter in law, whatever they called themselves, and everybody would know it anyway.

Why does he need to disappear? That part I don't get. I think that if he finds something or that is he and his wife do, I am all for it. He could not disappear if he calls attention to worthy causes. I think he is great with helping veterans and I would like that to be his focus.. This year is not a true picture of how things will turn out for them due to COVID restrictions. I hope he and his paternal family support one another and they support his family as well.

I agree with this. If anything, this move out should be an incentive to get involved with more charity work.

The debate regarding the Sussexes having styles and titles whilst not being active members of the Royal Family - and living a new life overseas - has been had on numerous occasions throughout the last few months.

It has been deemed a repetitive and off-topic discussion for quite some time now and members are asked NOT to bring the subject up UNLESS the situation changes.

Further posts seeking to bring the topic up again will be deleted without notice.

I'm sure that post Covid both Harry and Meghan will indeed get stuck into a good deal of charity work. Looking forward to it!

According to The Sun the couple plan to launch their own awards. (I'm going to await to see if the couple make an official announcement.)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13401399/harry-meghan-woke-honours-america/

They hope to celebrate “charitable service, education, science, literature, racial justice, gender equity, environmental stewardship, youth empowerment, health and mental health”, papers filed in the US reveal.
Winning firms, charities and individuals can expect the right-on couple’s seal of approval. We’ve also mocked up a snowflake medal to show how they might be rewarded.
While the Queen hands out gongs twice a year, the Sussexes’ rival scheme would be run by their Arche-well foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom