The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is a fact that habi5ate destruction has contributed to this, as it displaced the bats.

Harry is just s free thinking California rich preacher now. Who cares.

Well as long as they stress they don't speak for the royal family anymore they can say what they want.

Reading all of Harry's recent comments, I think he needs to rehire ELF back considering he did wonders to Harry's image back in 2012-2014.

Didn't ELF left on his own accord? he stepped down shortly before the wedding I believe.:whistling:

That... is not the metaphor I would choose to describe a disease killing thousands of people's loved ones. Nature is not an angry parent sending us to our rooms. Nor is it at all appropriate to describe someone's death as "teaching us a lesson," unless it's his own loved one and he would like to describe it that way.

"Somebody said to me at the beginning of the pandemic, it's almost as though mother nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behaviour to really take a moment and think about what we've done. It’s certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."

Nature did not get angry at us and give us the coronavirus to send us to our rooms like naughty children. Wow. What a wildly inaccurate understanding of the world he is showcasing.

"It’s certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."
There I edited it for him.

Is he for real? He is blaming the people for causing this?, well he really needs help and fast. So let me understand this, Mother Nature is teaching us a lesson, because we caused this, so this is punishment for the world and we need to suck it up. Well he is not the first one to make such a stupid comment, someone else was the target and was blamed for it, because they had nothing else to say, as for they in that case it was the media. So for every person who sadly died from this virus, the families and the rest of the world need to say sorry, we did it and someone needs to pay? Lesson learned? I feel someone is getting unhinged. This suggestion about natures rebuke, is an insult to every person and especially the one's who died from this virus. And the one's who caught this virus and came out on the other side and are OK, should they feel guilty? Well I had it and one of my children, believe me I felt like getting hit by a fast moving train. I am sure someone will delete this post ,because they feel something negative is said about dear Harry. Well so be it.

To be fair, I remember sometime in May (maybe April?) when everyone was talking about how the virus started, a scientist pointed out that it may be due to humans behavior towards nature, I can't remember the exact info but it was an american scientist, I think, who worked in China a few years ago and issued a warning that something would happen- I can't remember if he was also talking about the wet markets in relation to it (sorry this year is like an entire decade of our lives at this I barely remember last week:lol:)

So I get the overall sentiment he is trying to pass with that stupid comment, and I may even agree with that.
What he should have done was quote actual research from scientists to back it up and phrase it better, similar to how @Heavs said.
Because unlike his father, he doesn't have decades long of experience of talking about the environments. and he doesn't have someone with expertise to bounce off and to provide that info.

Well as long as they stress they don't speak for the royal family anymore they can say what they want.

I think BP has been a great job of stressing that for them.

This quote from the Telegraph article is perfect and was what Harry should have said:
"The Prince was making an important point – that this, of all years, has served as a devastating illustration of what can happen when humans do not take due care and responsibility with the natural world, and that it is on all of us to redouble our efforts to combat climate change and respect what’s left of the planet."

Last edited:
What the Telegraph said summed things up very well. We don't have the information to be sure exactly how this pandemic started, and it's probably unlikely that the Chinese authorities will ever make it clear to the WHO and international scientists, but proper care was clearly not taken at the wet markets and it seems likely that that did start it.

But Harry sounded like a 17th century preacher saying that the bubonic plague was God's punishment for everyone being miserable sinners who didn't heed the word of the Lord and cavorted about at rude plays at Restoration theatres. And saying that he worries about bringing new life into the world, a few months after his unborn child died? I'm sure he didn't mean it to sound like that, but he needs to think more carefully before he opens his mouth.

UNESCO. 'Human behaviour causing lessening of biodiversity are culprits in epidemics and pandemics.'

https://en.unesco.org/courier/news-views-online/pandemics-humans-are-culprits

'Halt destruction of nature or suffer even worse pandemics, say world's top scientists.' (Apparently the scientific community don't disagree with the quoted remark of Harry's from his Waterbear interview.) Guardian newspaper April 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/halt-destruction-nature-worse-pandemics-top-scientists

Article from the World Economic Forum on the subject.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/covid-19-nature-deforestation-recovery/

Last edited:
Obviously human carelessness and greed has resulted in the current climate crisis, which includes things like pandemics. But phrasing it in the way he did (or agreeing with the person who phrased it so poorly) was definitely in poor taste on Harry’s part. It definitely does sound a bit like “you deserved this.”

I see. So in other words Harry is wrong even when he's right. Ie Sentiments backed by most of the scientific community, and when he is speaking on the launch of a channel dedicated to trying to heal the planet and which includes a charity he has worked with as patron for years.

Obviously human carelessness and greed has resulted in the current climate crisis, which includes things like pandemics. But phrasing it in the way he did (or agreeing with the person who phrased it so poorly) was definitely in poor taste on Harry’s part. It definitely does sound a bit like “you deserved this.”

You've hit the nail on the head. I think everyone, or most people, agree with Harry's sentiments. But saying of the disease that's killed tens (hundreds?) of thousands, "That's good old Mother Nature sending us naughty children to our rooms, then, eh?" was in such poor taste he's outdone himself.

I'm afraid what you've quoted Harry as saying is paraphrasing as he didn't say exactly that, and he was quoting somebody else anyway, as he made clear.

''It has been a tough year for everybody,” Prince Harry said. “Someone said to me at the beginning of the pandemic that it’s almost as though Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behavior, to really take a moment and think about what we’ve done.

He added: “It’s certainly reminded me, as it has probably reminded all of us, how interconnected we all are. Not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her but we rarely give anything back."

Last edited:
But He chose to repeat a tone deaf Unfeeling quote And that’s all people will know. Humans are destroying the planet that’s obvious but when you have an elderly parent or child suffering with you helpless beside them you don’t need to be hearing that. He needs to think And have a modicum of tact and sensitivity Before he waxes poetic .

What the Telegraph said summed things up very well. We don't have the information to be sure exactly how this pandemic started, and it's probably unlikely that the Chinese authorities will ever make it clear to the WHO and international scientists, but proper care was clearly not taken at the wet markets and it seems likely that that did start it.

But Harry sounded like a 17th century preacher saying that the bubonic plague was God's punishment for everyone being miserable sinners who didn't heed the word of the Lord and cavorted about at rude plays at Restoration theatres. And saying that he worries about bringing new life into the world, a few months after his unborn child died? I'm sure he didn't mean it to sound like that, but he needs to think more carefully before he opens his mouth.
Well I completely agree with you ! He should stop telling anything.

He’s trending on Twitter because of this - the NY Post has picked it up as well.

To be fair, Harry is quoting someone who made that comment (so obviously he agrees with it, but he didn’t actually say that). I’m not happy. Not only is that obscenely disrespectful to the hundreds of thousands who’ve died, this makes Harry seem like the universe’s biggest conspiracy theorist.

Thank you Betsypaige for letting us know about the New York Post article and the twitter reaction (hence Harry was trending on it). Here is the link to the article if anyone is interested (I'm sure some may have already saw it), that is not behind the paywall and contains more Harry's quote in his virtual interview

https://nypost.com/2020/12/02/princ...utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Well I completely agree with you ! He should stop telling anything.

Citizen Harry is entitled to his opinion. We all are to our's!

This is the mystery of democracy: Everybody is somewhat mal-informed, but in the end it turns out, that democracy works in the long run better, than any other political system.

So, Citizen Harry sounds in his inconsistencies not different from "Joe the Plumber" or "Dan the Dentist".

BUT: It is a bit de-mystifying for the monarchy, the whole Harry thingy, isn't it? Royals are really well advised to avoid the topics of the day!

Thank you Betsypaige for letting us know about the New York Post article and the twitter reaction (hence Harry was trending on it). Here is the link to the article if anyone is interested (I'm sure some may have already saw it), that is not behind the paywall and contains more Harry's quote in his virtual interview

https://nypost.com/2020/12/02/princ...utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow

You're welcome! I'm sorry, I should have posted the link to the Post article.......but it essentially said the same thing, so..

Amaryllus:

But He chose to repeat a tone deaf Unfeeling quote And that’s all people will know. Humans are destroying the planet that’s obvious but when you have an elderly parent or child suffering with you helpless beside them you don’t need to be hearing that. He needs to think And have a modicum of tact and sensitivity Before he waxes poetic .

Exactly. I DID make the point here and on Twitter as well that Harry didn't say that "bedroom" comment, BUT it still doesn't matter. His referencing it is sufficient for me to believe he believes that "theory" - it's essentially like "liking" a tweet. It's an asinine thing to say no matter who said it, and Harry repeating it is really unfortunate. It actually reminds me - I'm sorry for the American TV reference - about an episode of the Golden Girls, one of the best comedies of all time. They did an episode where one of the main characters, Rose, had to be tested for AIDS, and she was worried about the results (this was late 80's).

The part I bolded is the truth. Mother Nature is not punishing humanity for our sins by inflicting Coronavirus on us, same way she's not punishing us by sending tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc... Intentional or not, Harry's comment is leveling guilt at all of us, as if WE are responsible for this vicious virus. That is why people are angry with him.

Blanche: Hey, wait a minute, are you saying this should be me and not you?!

Rose: No, no, I’m just saying that I’m a good person. Hell, I’m a goody two shoes!

Blanche: AIDS is not a bad person’s disease, Rose. It is not God punishing people for their sins!

Rose: You’re right, Blanche —

Blanche: Well you’re...... straight I’m right!

You've hit the nail on the head. I think everyone, or most people, agree with Harry's sentiments. But saying of the disease that's killed tens (hundreds?) of thousands, "That's good old Mother Nature sending us naughty children to our rooms, then, eh?" was in such poor taste he's outdone himself.
According to worldometer it's almost 1.5 million deaths worldwide.

I'm afraid what you've quoted Harry as saying is paraphrasing as he didn't say exactly that, and he was quoting somebody else anyway, as he made clear.

''It has been a tough year for everybody,” Prince Harry said. “Someone said to me at the beginning of the pandemic that it’s almost as though Mother Nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behavior, to really take a moment and think about what we’ve done.

He added: “It’s certainly reminded me, as it has probably reminded all of us, how interconnected we all are. Not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her but we rarely give anything back."
No one here misquoted him, this is exactly the quote we're talking about. And while it might be actually based in science, it doesn't mean it's not insensitive :ermm: There is a difference between "human behavior might have influenced the pandemic" and "Mother Nature sent us to our rooms" when talking about a deadly pandemic that killed almost 1.5 milion people in the world. Somebody's brother, sister, mother, grandfather or a dear friend. Somebody's husband, wife, significant other.

I guess some things do sound better from a $15M mansion in California.

Given that he decided to step away from royal life; he probably should no longer 'work on his image' but just live his life - and in doing so make sure that he is not doing anything that might do damage to his family that they are still building their lives on.

but he has to build his image.. he has to earn a living and he can only do that by all this stuff....

His money would last a lot longer If he just lived an “Regular“ upperclass lifestyle instead of trying to keep up with Hollywood set. They aren’t even at that level to begin with. But suspect it’s not up to him in the least.

His money would last a lot longer If he just lived an “Regular“ upperclass lifestyle instead of trying to keep up with Hollywood set. They aren’t even at that level to begin with. But suspect it’s not up to him in the least.

They have taken on a large house, and want to live as wealthy philanthropists and that takes money. That's why they left England, to earn a bigger income and to do their charity work in the way that they're now doing. He's not going to lead the "quiet simple life of rich Americans" as Michael puts it in the Godfather.. He and Meghan have chosen a way of life that is going to need a large income so he has to be seen doing things...So theyve got the Netflix dealing and maybe more commerical ventures in due course...

The “raindrop” concept isn’t a new one for the Sussexes. In an interview with Marie Claire about voting, Meghan said, "One of my favorite quotes, and one that my husband and I have referred to often, is from Kate Sheppard, a leader in the suffragist movement in New Zealand, who said, 'Do not think your single vote does not matter much. The rain that refreshes the parched ground is made up of single drops,'" Meghan continued. "That is why I vote."

http://https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a33572727/meghan-markle-why-im-voting-marie-claire/

I had a feeling that the idea originated from Meghan. There are certain things that Harry says that just scream “Meghan” for me and this was one of them. It just feels very flowery and buzzword-y.

The “raindrop” concept isn’t a new one for the Sussexes. In an interview with Marie Claire about voting, Meghan said, "One of my favorite quotes, and one that my husband and I have referred to often, is from Kate Sheppard, a leader in the suffragist movement in New Zealand, who said, 'Do not think your single vote does not matter much. The rain that refreshes the parched ground is made up of single drops,'" Meghan continued. "That is why I vote."

http://https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a33572727/meghan-markle-why-im-voting-marie-claire/

I had a feeling that the idea originated from Meghan. There are certain things that Harry says that just scream “Meghan” for me and this was one of them. It just feels very flowery and buzzword-y.

Based on the above, this idea seems to have originated from the woman Meghan quoted, Kate Sheppard. It looks like both H and M have to use other people’s quotes to express their ideas...

Based on the above, this idea seems to have originated from the woman Meghan quoted, Kate Sheppard. It looks like both H and M have to use other people’s quotes to express their ideas...

I do not think there is anything wrong in using a famous quote to express you ideas, as long as you attribute the quote to the original author.

Watching the video and everything he was quoting was more the the bolded interpretation and not really "scientists believe human cruelty with animals and lack of any care at the wet markets probably started the virus and shows how devastating our lack of reverence for nature is". It was "vengeful Mother Nature is punishing us for not looking after the planet" The equivalent of fire and brimstone televangelism. Watch this video platform and click on the links to donate to these charities and ease your guilt!

Again to be fair he's far from the only person I've seen using the quote in that way, it was extremely popular at one point and I do think he means well, it's just there are ways to use it that don't come across as preachy or insensitive. Or you know, reframe it for the positive in "change the way we interact with nature" or "opportunities in darkness to grow". Between that and not really sounding like himself when he talks his actual message is getting lost.

An awful lot of rubbish has been spouted about this virus - people are going on about it being The Great Resetting and the decline of meaningless capitalism and a chance to reconnect with nature and spend more time with your family. 25,000 UK jobs are probably going to be lost after a number of High Street stores collapsed this week. I'm not sure that seeing it as the decline of meaningless capitalism is going to be much consolation to the 25,000 people who won't have a wage coming in. It's very tactless.

It appears that some of Meghan's letter to the NYT was plagiarized. Including the parts of the miscarriage - the publishers of the books where it has been claimed it, was taken from might seek legal advise.

The book where the miscarriage quote comes from is Stephanie Tong's Chasing Light,
extract:
"I clutched her tightly and cried into her. As I tenderly held my first born in my arms, I was saying goodbye to my third."

Of course they do. Meghan talks a lot of waffle and Harry's learned it from her...

Whatever sells and helps them with their compassionate brand!

Whatever sells and helps them with their compassionate brand!
Precisely. To tel the truth, I think the best thing that could happen woudl be that Americans ignore them.. and they start to realise that unless they are working royals they are not of any importance..but although most Americans dont think highly of titles, there is still a "lure" if someone has a title and is related to the queen.. and so its not going ot happen. They'll be considered newsworthy. but they're not that bright, either of them and they continually both of them say things that are just silly or empty.. whether going on about their own feelings or just mouthing cliches. So I think that people will criticise them more and more and the British Press will still give them a roasting....
But it seems veyr plain to me that Meghan is the one who has "taught" Harry to go all "friends of the Earthy" and he's dutifully learned all this stuff and probalby at present believes in it...

It appears that some of Meghan's letter to the NYT was plagiarized. Including the parts of the miscarriage - the publishers of the books where it has been claimed it, was taken from might seek legal advise.

The book where the miscarriage quote comes from is Stephanie Tong's Chasing Light,
extract:
"I clutched her tightly and cried into her. As I tenderly held my first born in my arms, I was saying goodbye to my third."

Can you please post the link?

Ouch, that is a terrible look...it’s essentially outright theft.

extract:

I really wish conspiracy twitter would stay there. Every time Meghan says or writes something a certain group claims unfounded plagiarism. This one is particularly sad like the NYT wouldn’t throughly research.

Anyways since this has been some weird attempt to dismiss her tragedy, someone took the time to research the odd allegation.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-th...-her-New-York-Times-article-about-miscarriage

I know Meghan triggers certain individuals but... really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom