The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry’s heart is in the right place, but sometimes his prose is so very purple, lol...I think sometimes the way he verbalizes things hurts the message he’s trying to get across (I rolled my eyes at the raindrop comment; his speech was generally fine after that, but that comment almost made me not want to read the rest of it)

Harry’s heart is in the right place, but sometimes his prose is so very purple, lol...I think sometimes the way he verbalizes things hurts the message he’s trying to get across (I rolled my eyes at the raindrop comment; his speech was generally fine after that, but that comment almost made me not want to read the rest of it)

He seems to be influenced by his wife regarding this, I don't remember Harry ever used such flowery language before Meghan.

Harry did not do a lot of things before Meghan But here he is on the Daily Fail talking about rain drops.

The quote that really jumped out at me was, “For me it’s about putting the do’s behind the say’s, and that is something that WaterBear is going to be doing: capitalising on a community of doers. There’s a lot of people that say, but this is about action.” The Sussexes have been “saying” a lot- telling us we need to vote, stop being racist, be kind, get off social media, ask people if they’re ok, on and on and on... but actually really haven’t been “doers” themselves. Most of what they’ve been “doing” is lecturing from their $14 million mansion in California. I know that COVID-19 has taken opportunities from them to actually put actions behind the words that they may normally have taken, but I feel like even with a chance they would still be doing a lot of lecturing with less actions behind them.

When they were “working“ Royals They had a every opportunity and indeed a duty to act ...visit small and big organizations doing all sorts of varied wonderful things for the country and Maybe even the world, promote individuals who make the world a better place as well Mix with world leaders . But They could not speak and endorse exactly what they wanted all the time with no interference so they took their toys and stomped off. So They now can speak freely and endorse want but they lost the opportunity to be the change they want to see in the world. They had a professional structure In place and people to help, advise and coordinate them into being Useful and focused. They chose to give it up.

When they were “working“ Royals They had a every opportunity and indeed a duty to act ...visit small and big organizations doing all sorts of varied wonderful things for the country and Maybe even the world, promote individuals who make the world a better place as well Mix with world leaders . But They could not speak and endorse exactly what they wanted all the time with no interference so they took their toys and stomped off. So They now can speak freely and endorse want but they lost the opportunity to be the change they want to see in the world. They had a professional structure In place and people to help, advise and coordinate them into being Useful and focused. They chose to give it up.

I definitely think this is one of the biggest downsides to them leaving the fold. It was a very sad coincidence that COVID-19 happened right when they were trying to venture out on their own and probably prevented many of the actions that they WOULD have been doing otherwise, but members of the royal family were still able to be active and involved in the charities and patronages they support, whether through Zoom calls or masked in-person events, while H&M were sitting inside lecturing us from their couch.

He seems to be influenced by his wife regarding this, I don't remember Harry ever used such flowery language before Meghan.

I don’t recall it, either. All I know is that it doesn’t sound like Harry, it doesn’t sound like anything he’d say - not the topic, but how he expresses himself now. As a result, I’m sorry to say, he comes across to me as inauthentic, as if he’s reading from a script. He would be far more effective speaking plainly, from his heart. Before his fans take umbrage, I’m not saying he doesn’t believe in the subject matter - I’m talking sorry about how he communicates, which IMO does not work for him.

Reactions: Fem
The quote that really jumped out at me was, “For me it’s about putting the do’s behind the say’s, and that is something that WaterBear is going to be doing: capitalising on a community of doers. There’s a lot of people that say, but this is about action.” The Sussexes have been “saying” a lot- telling us we need to vote, stop being racist, be kind, get off social media, ask people if they’re ok, on and on and on... but actually really haven’t been “doers” themselves. Most of what they’ve been “doing” is lecturing from their $14 million mansion in California. I know that COVID-19 has taken opportunities from them to actually put actions behind the words that they may normally have taken, but I feel like even with a chance they would still be doing a lot of lecturing with less actions behind them.

That quote bothered me, too, because it implied that overall people aren’t doing enough. Judging people, especially in a pandemic when hundreds if thousands have died and many are dealing with that grief, as well as life under COVID, is a bad look.

Didn't prince Charles just launched a similar channel initiative?

And I completely agree with acdc1 comment about the sussex being more talkers than doers; look there is nothing wrong with talkers... I love philosophy (it's an important branch of life) which is all about thinking and talking, but you gotta know what you are talking about when you'r a talker and not a doer, otherwise you come across like the sussex's- hypocritical and preaching.

Didn't prince Charles just launched a similar channel initiative?

And I completely agree with acdc1 comment about the sussex being more talkers than doers; look there is nothing wrong with talkers... I love philosophy (it's an important branch of life) which is all about thinking and talking, but you gotta know what you are talking about when you'r a talker and not a doer, otherwise you come across like the sussex's- hypocritical and preaching.

Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent.

Exactly. This is one of my biggest problems with them in general since January and you've said it in one paragraph.

I do think the channel is a positive one, although by nature it's a lot of talking not doing Harry ;). It's also something that fits in well with the BRF role and what his father and brother are currently "doing" as well. But then I get grumpy about the "Independent Harry and Meghan Monarchy of Montecito" have you cake and make a lot of money off it stuff :rolleyes: (even though yes I know he wasn't paid for this video). And the lecturing tone.

Anyway. No doubt a heartfelt message that he believes in but I did giggle at the raindrop thing. He'd do better to use his father as a speech role model and not whoever is currently writing for him. Charles sounds less like he's lecturing but knowledgeable, passionate and like himself.

Last edited:
Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......

Exactly. This is one of my biggest problems with them in general since January and you've said it in one paragraph.

I do think the channel is a positive one, although by nature it's a lot of talking not doing Harry ;). It's also something that fits in well with the BRF role and what his father and brother are currently "doing" as well. But then I get grumpy about the "Independent Harry and Meghan Monarchy of Montecito" have you cake and make a lot of money off it stuff :rolleyes: (even though yes I know he wasn't paid for this video). And the lecturing tone.

Anyway. No doubt a heartfelt message that he believes in but I did giggle at the raindrop thing. He'd do better to use his father as a speech role model and not whoever is currently writing for him. Charles sounds less like he's lecturing but knowledgeable, passionate and like himself.

"Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......"

"but"?, not sure what the but is for in regards to Charles, can you please elaborate.

"Yes, it's his own initiative called RE:TV. His speech was extremely passionate and eloquent. But......"

"but"?, not sure what the but is for in regards to Charles, can you please elaborate.

Sorry. It was nothing in regards to Charles. His video was very good, full stop.

I was trying to lead into the quote about Harry and Meghan still wanting to be "Working Royals" by themselves without actually working for the BRF and/but the problems and complications with that as opposed to the built in platform and "duty" aspect Charles and others have but I completely mangled it. I'll edit it.

Several posts have been deleted as they appear to be discussing other members and not the actual topic of the thread.

Members are encouraged to discuss the topic in a mature, considered and constructive way in order to promote a balanced discussion and one in which people can engage properly with one another.

Sorry. It was nothing in regards to Charles. His video was very good, full stop.

I was trying to lead into the quote about Harry and Meghan still wanting to be "Working Royals" by themselves without actually working for the BRF.

I don't know the context of the quote, but honestly I can't understand what they mean by that. Harry and Meghan can do charity work or even become social activists in the US, but they cannot be "working royals" in California. What I mean is that the designation "working royal" only makes sense in a monarchy where royals have an official role.

When Harry and Meghan moved out of the UK, we discussed here if they could be be "working royals" in Canada and I argued that would be problematic even in a Commonwealth realm like Canada since, although the Queen is the Queen of Canada, the Canadian constitution assigns official representation duties on behalf of the Crown to the Governor General and the provincial Lieutenant Governors, rather than other members of the BRF (except during short-term visits or tours). It would be even more problematic (in fact, it would make no sense at all) for Harry and Meghan to seek any kind of official "working" role in a republic like the US where they have no constitutional status whatsoever.

Last edited:
A great metaphor is great, but it has to click right away for people. While this quote: "Every single raindrop that falls from the sky relieves the parched ground. What if every single one of us was a raindrop, and if every single one of us cared?" sounds really pretty, I see a few issues with it:
- it's very easy to misquote it and twist it into something else (and that's a big 'no' in public speaking since forever) that will sound absurdly stupid
- doesn't sound like something Harry would actually say and think of himself (another big 'no' - stick to something that you know works and is natural)
- sounds pretty damn funny from someone who spends the pandemic in a $15million mansion

This year is pretty damn unprecedented in a history - and if someone like Harry wants to edify 'normal' people, they really need to look at it from all the angles to not sound so out of touch. Like in SO MANY cases since their marriage, the Sussexes come to us with a great message and completely miss the correct tone for it, which could easily be avoided if they surrounded themselves with better employees.

Next time they'll flight by private plane (and we know they will) the article will just write itself. "We all have to be raindrops to put out a fire caused by yet another private plane flight by Prince Harry", "Do as I say not as I do Prince Harry flying by private plane again", etc. It's like he's handing the media the ammunition by himself.

I don't know the context of the quote, but honestly I can't understand what they mean by that. Harry and Meghan can do charity work or even become social activists in the US, but they cannot be "working royals" in California. What I mean is that the designation "working royal" only makes sense in a monarchy where royals have an official role.

When Harry and Meghan moved out of the UK, we discussed here if they could be be "working royals" in Canada and I argued that would be problematic even in a Commonwealth realm like Canada since, although the Queen is the Queen of Canada, the Canadian constitution assigns official representation duties on behalf of the Crown to the Governor General and the provincial Lieutenant Governors, rather than other members of the BRF (except during short-term visits or tours). It would be even more problematic (in fact, it would make no sense at all) for Harry and Meghan to seek any kind of official "working" role in a republic like the US where they have no constitutional status whatsoever.

In my view, what H&M appear to be trying to do is build a "compassionate" brand. That involves doing a degree of public service (eg, volunteering at food banks), publicly supporting charitable endeavours and certain causes (the environment, women's empowerment), supporting veterans etc, all of which could be monetised through media and publishing deals and when possible, speaking engagements.

It is a carefully calibrated strategy that has been developed by somebody like Sunshine Sachs over time. Perhaps this is why a photographer is never far, whether they are volunteering or at a cemetery and the online chats supporting various causes continue to drop ever so often. Additionally, in the business, out of sight is indeed out of mind, which is why what may appear an unnecessary details about their plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas will keep appearing.

Oprah is probably somebody they see as a role model for building such a compassionate brand, and who may or may not have helped connect them with people who could help them.

In my view, what H&M appear to be trying to do is build a "compassionate" brand. That involves doing a degree of public service (eg, volunteering at food banks), publicly supporting charitable endeavours and certain causes (the environment, women's empowerment), supporting veterans etc, all of which could be monetised through media and publishing deals and when possible, speaking engagements.

It is a carefully calibrated strategy that has been developed by somebody like Sunshine Sachs over time. Perhaps this is why a photographer is never far, whether they are volunteering or at a cemetery and the online chats supporting various causes continue to drop ever so often. Additionally, in the business, out of sight is indeed out of mind, which is why what may appear an unnecessary details about their plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas will keep appearing.

Oprah is probably somebody they see as a role model for building such a compassionate brand, and who may or may not have helped connect them with people who could help them.

I definitely think that you're right about them wanting to build their "compassionate" brand, and building a brand does indeed include a lot of marketing. So that's going to mean that they'll need to be photographed doing charity activities and meeting with others, will need to be seen collaborating with other individuals and organizations with similar goals and projects, etc. I think that after Archewell officially gets off the ground we're going to seeing and hearing a lot more from Harry and Meghan.

I think what's so confusing right now though is that a. they haven't actually launched anything yet besides the vague Archewell website and b. they are still using their British royal titles in everything that they do. Every time they call themselves Prince Harry or Meghan, Duchess of Sussex or The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, it really seems like they are still trying to connect the work they are doing as private citizens to their roles as royals, which in turn gives the impression that they are still trying to be "working royals" in the US. I know that I have been constantly harping on the fact that they need to give up the titles, but... it's time for them to give up the titles. ? (which I don't think that they want to do nor will ever do...). I could maybe see using them if they had settled in Canada, South Africa, or another Commonwealth country, but they chose to permanently move to the US, and it just seems rather silly to be using them in a place where the Queen has no sovreignty and their titles aren't "officially" recognized like they are in the UK. If they want to live in the US as Americans, and if Harry wants to become an American someday (which is likely IMO seeing as that's where he's decided to settle with his family) they need to give them up at least in a professional capacity.

I think what's so confusing right now though is that a. they haven't actually launched anything yet besides the vague Archewell website and b. they are still using their British royal titles in everything that they do. Every time they call themselves Prince Harry or Meghan, Duchess of Sussex or The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, it really seems like they are still trying to connect the work they are doing as private citizens to their roles as royals, which in turn gives the impression that they are still trying to be "working royals" in the US. I know that I have been constantly harping on the fact that they need to give up the titles, but... it's time for them to give up the titles. ? (which I don't think that they want to do nor will ever do...). I could maybe see using them if they had settled in Canada, South Africa, or another Commonwealth country, but they chose to permanently move to the US, and it just seems rather silly to be using them in a place where the Queen has no sovreignty and their titles aren't "officially" recognized like they are in the UK. If they want to live in the US as Americans, and if Harry wants to become an American someday (which is likely IMO seeing as that's where he's decided to settle with his family) they need to give them up at least in a professional capacity.

The part I bolded, to me, is the crux of the matter. It's as if they're establishing their own "court" and whatever they do, they'll do it along the model of how they did things when they were working royals for the "Firm". The problem though is that without the backing of the "Firm" and with the way they exited the "Firm", as private citizens, the interest in and the scope of whatever they want to accomplish has lost its foundation which gave Harry and Meghan their appeal to begin with. That being actual working royals and representing Crown and Country.

I do believe they have expected their "fame" and "influence" as working royals to carry over into whatever they decide to do once settled in the US. I don't believe it'll be anywhere near what they could have done within the "Firm" as even with using their "royal" titles, its been clearly notated by most people that they're on their own and basically, in the US, part of the celebrity culture where foundations and causes are actually a dime a dozen these days.

I wish them well with whatever they do decide to do but I can't help but think that they've really missed the mark by not remaining within the fold of the "Firm" which is a solid global platform and they could have accomplished so much more to make a difference.

With Title comes Responsibility and a certain willingness, to put duty before oneself. I think this is lacking here. The Title it seems is the most important thing, this is by what they want to be known by, anything less they wont except. Actually kind of sad.

I think this is spot on. Unfortunately, it comes across as artificial - ie: Harry’s recent speech. As I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn’t sound like Harry at all, but rather as if it’s from a script - a script that his and Meghan’s PR people wrote for them. IMO, this and other “speeches, chats, declarations”, etc.. sound so inauthentic that their message is getting lost.

H and M may very genuinely be concerned about these issues, but they seem to be shouting “We CARE” at the top of their lungs - by the way they talk (not just speeches, but off-hand remarks about how others aren’t doing enough), by their publicizing their compassion, their concern (from the photographer at the cemetery to letting the world know they’d called HM to wish her a happy birthday, even though she didn’t want that).

Oh, and it seem to me they also want to remind people that they are still Royal - hence the photographer, hence the publicizing the phone call...Speaking of:

Osipi:

I do believe they have expected their "fame" and "influence" as working royals to carry over into whatever they decide to do once settled in the US. I don't believe it'll be anywhere near what they could have done within the "Firm" as even with using their "royal" titles, its been clearly notated by most people that they're on their own and basically, in the US, part of the celebrity culture where foundations and causes are actually a dime a dozen these days.

I agree. Additionally, they fail to grasp that Americans as a whole are not impressed by titles. Our country was founded on the notion of self-determination, and that meant ridding ourselves of the hereditary monarchy and all that goes with it. We’ve got that Puritan work ethic that drives us (not always positively; we work too hard much of the time, which is why our quality of life and lifespans are not as great as in other countries). [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Telegraph has also picked Harry's virtual interview up, but this time on COVID-19. It's behind a paywall, so I don' know if the 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done' quote is taken out of context or not.

Duke of Sussex suggests coronavirus was rebuke from mother nature
Harry says: 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/01/duke-sussex-suggests-coronavirus-rebuke-mother-nature/

The Telegraph has also picked Harry's virtual interview up, but this time on COVID-19. It's behind a paywall, so I don' know if the 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done' quote is taken out of context or not.

Duke of Sussex suggests coronavirus was rebuke from mother nature
Harry says: 'Somebody said to me it’s almost as though we've been sent to our rooms to think about what we’ve done'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/01/duke-sussex-suggests-coronavirus-rebuke-mother-nature/

He’s trending on Twitter because of this - the NY Post has picked it up as well.

To be fair, Harry is quoting someone who made that comment (so obviously he agrees with it, but he didn’t actually say that). I’m not happy. Not only is that obscenely disrespectful to the hundreds of thousands who’ve died, this makes Harry seem like the universe’s biggest conspiracy theorist.

Last edited:
That... is not the metaphor I would choose to describe a disease killing thousands of people's loved ones. Nature is not an angry parent sending us to our rooms. Nor is it at all appropriate to describe someone's death as "teaching us a lesson," unless it's his own loved one and he would like to describe it that way.

"Somebody said to me at the beginning of the pandemic, it's almost as though mother nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behaviour to really take a moment and think about what we've done. It’s certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."

Nature did not get angry at us and give us the coronavirus to send us to our rooms like naughty children. Wow. What a wildly inaccurate understanding of the world he is showcasing.

He's far from the only person I've heard say this (or quote this), it was common in certain circles at the beginning of the pandemic, along with celebrating cleaner air measurements and saying "this is why COVID had to happen". However I thought it had died down now as the death toll mounted and it became clear how many people were losing their jobs and everything else.

He should definitely have known better than to say it like that rather than saying "this has given us a wake up call about....and a chance to build back better...think about what's really important...." type phrases. Especially as his father and brother had the virus.

Last edited:
Reading all of Harry's recent comments, I think he needs to rehire ELF back considering he did wonders to Harry's image back in 2012-2014.

Reading all of Harry's recent comments, I think he needs to rehire ELF back considering he did wonders to Harry's image back in 2012-2014.

Given that he decided to step away from royal life; he probably should no longer 'work on his image' but just live his life - and in doing so make sure that he is not doing anything that might do damage to his family that they are still building their lives on.

That... is not the metaphor I would choose to describe a disease killing thousands of people's loved ones. Nature is not an angry parent sending us to our rooms. Nor is it at all appropriate to describe someone's death as "teaching us a lesson," unless it's his own loved one and he would like to describe it that way.

"Somebody said to me at the beginning of the pandemic, it's almost as though mother nature has sent us to our rooms for bad behaviour to really take a moment and think about what we've done. It’s certainly reminded me about how interconnected we all are, not just as people but through nature. We take so much from her and we rarely give a lot back."

Nature did not get angry at us and give us the coronavirus to send us to our rooms like naughty children. Wow. What a wildly inaccurate understanding of the world he is showcasing.

Just a reminder that Harry borrowed that statement...

My first thought was that he seemed to be equating Coronavirus to one if the 10 plagues in the Bible, just replace God with Mother Nature. Open mouth, insert foot...that should be Harry’s motto. The idea that Nature is punishing innocent people just to make a point is actually sickening and frightening.

Last edited:
Given that he decided to step away from royal life; he probably should no longer 'work on his image' but just live his life - and in doing so make sure that he is not doing anything that might do damage to his family that they are still building their lives on.

Though he can never the private and anonymous Mr Harry Mountbatten. He will always be known as Prince Harry to the entire world, regardless of what his formal title is. Like his mother always was known as ”Princess Diana” among the general public everywhere in the world, despite never being a Princess in her own right... Harry is a global superstar from the moment he was conceived and that will never go away. Many journalists still has a job because of his existence. He must come to terms with that. His image must be blank and polished wether he lives in Los Angeles, London, Sarajevo or Ulan Bator, to not cause damage to the monarchy.

He is not his own best friend at the moment. Rather the opposite...

Last edited:
Is he for real? He is blaming the people for causing this?, well he really needs help and fast. So let me understand this, Mother Nature is teaching us a lesson, because we caused this, so this is punishment for the world and we need to suck it up. Well he is not the first one to make such a stupid comment, someone else was the target and was blamed for it, because they had nothing else to say, as for they in that case it was the media. So for every person who sadly died from this virus, the families and the rest of the world need to say sorry, we did it and someone needs to pay? Lesson learned? I feel someone is getting unhinged. This suggestion about natures rebuke, is an insult to every person and especially the one's who died from this virus. And the one's who caught this virus and came out on the other side and are OK, should they feel guilty? Well I had it and one of my children, believe me I felt like getting hit by a fast moving train. I am sure someone will delete this post ,because they feel something negative is said about dear Harry. Well so be it.

I just listen to an interview given by Harry. Well we should all be raindrops and other things, he also said Mother Nature punished us for bad behavior, hence the Pandemic. He also said his view's on climate have changed since he is a father and he worries about bringing in a new life into this world, since the planet will be on fire. What message will this be for Meghan, since she just suffered a miscarriage, which is extremely painful for a mother. I know very well how she feels. I don't want to appear nasty, because it is not meant this way, but is he saying this is also mother nature's punishment?, so not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom