The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
What 'leak to a sympathetic journalist'? What, about Harry's wreath being refused? That appeared in an article by Roya Nikkah in the Times. I can't imagine that Roya is sympathetic to the Sussexes!

The little snipe about the wreath was leaked by BP men in grey to emphasise how apart Harry is from the rest of the Royal Family, the family's black sheep and outlaw. I don't believe that was a friendly gesture in any way, shape or form.

It may have backfired however, as some sympathy for Harry has been expressed on Twitter and by various commenters such as on Loose Women.
To be honest any comments from Loose Women panel is nothing to be impressed with.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
So someone on twitter has made a note about the wreath laid by the royals from David Dimbleby's commentary during the Remembrance Sunday ceremony.

Prince Charles
The Monarch's Wreath (not Elizabeth Windsor's wreath)
Prince of Wales Wreath (not Prince Charles' wreath)

Capt of the Intelligence Corps (on behalf of Prince Phillip)
Consort Wreath (not Prince Phillip's nor Duke of Edinburgh's wreath)

(Monarch/Soverign, Consort and Prince of Wales counted as a specified role within the Monarchy. The three represent the nation)

Prince William
Royal Air Force Wreath (not Duke of Cambridge's wreath)

Prince Edward
Royal Wessex Yeomanry Wreath (not Earl of Wessex' wreath)

Princess Anne
The Royal Navy Wreath (not Princess Royal's wreath)

Prince Edward of Kent
The Field Marshall Wreath (not Duke of Kent's wreath)

None of the above are personal wreath. The royals laid the wreaths on behalf of those institution, they were representing them.

I wonder, if the story of rejected wreath is true, whose wreath was it that was supposed to be laid "on behalf of Harry"? The Duke of Sussex' Wreath?

That is excellent information. Thank you for that. As you say on who's behalf is Harry's wreath being laid.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
What 'leak to a sympathetic journalist'? What, about Harry's wreath being refused? That appeared in an article by Roya Nikkah in the Times. I can't imagine that Roya is sympathetic to the Sussexes!

The little snipe about the wreath was leaked by BP men in grey to emphasise how apart Harry is from the rest of the Royal Family, the family's black sheep and outlaw. I don't believe that was a friendly gesture in any way, shape or form.

It may have backfired however, as some sympathy for Harry has been expressed on Twitter and by various commenters such as on Loose Women.
Apart from Jane Moore and Janet Street-Porter, most of the panellists have been very sympathetic towards Harry and Meghan, even after their exit as senior working royals. From watching snippets of Loose Women clips beginning at Harry & Meghan's engagement, the Loose Women have often viewed Harry as a vulnerable individual, who walked behind Diana's coffin. It would not surprised me if they view Diana, Harry and Meghan as victims of "men in grey suit" and the cliche "old, male, pale and stale" archaic monarchy. Saira Khan was initially a supporter of Harry and Meghan, but ever since the accusation of racism as the main source of "Sussex's exit", she has been quite against them.
[...]

In terms of twitter, it depends on who the accounts are. The Sussex squad or Meghan supporters may make the most noises (including Omid Scobie), but so do Meghan's critics, who usually replied under royal correspondents' tweets.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Majesty

I believe the "Harry's wreath" story is totally bogus and just meant to cause him further grief. Harry grew up in the BRF and being who he is I think he couldn't wait to be old enough to perform what he considers to be a Sacred Duty.

No one is going to convince me that Harry doesn't know who and what every single wreath is laid for. Harry's Wreath is just one more vicious canard intended to keep the perception of Harry's co-called arrogant entitlement to the forefront.

As to Harry and Meghan visiting the military cemetery on Remembrance Day? Well that's a no-brainer as he has marked Remembrance Day every year of his life one way or another. Leaving the UK doesn't change who he is and what he believes.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As to Harry and Meghan visiting the military cemetery on Remembrance Day? Well that's a no-brainer as he has marked Remembrance Day every year of his life one way or another.
Fair point, but it is just the accompanying fashion / celebrity photographer and multiple pictures being released that people are commenting on
Old 11-10-2020, 04:29 AM
Majesty

^^^^^ I would point out that the BRF are well and truly photographed every year with special attention to the ladies wardrobe and jewelry. This year was no different

I think they got lucky with only the one and Harry wasn't even wearing a black suit.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
^^^^^ I would point out that the BRF are well and truly photographed every year with special attention to the ladies wardrobe and jewelry. This year was no different

I think they got lucky with only the one and Harry wasn't even wearing a black suit.
Except Harry & Meghan took a photographer along for this "private visit", and then had their office send the pictures around to the media.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Its hardly the same thing, the women of the RF are photographed as part of the ceremony..... Meghan and Harry went to "mark the occasion of Rem Sunday" but took along a professional photographer. They are now private people. Private people may visit graves on Remembrance day, but they dont take along a photographer and publicise their actions...
Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 AM
Serene Highness

No one is saying they should not have acknowledged Remembrance Sunday, and if they felt it required a photograph to prove it had happened then fair enough but a series of photographs all issued to the media. I just found the whole thing uncomfortable to look at. That is probably not the right word to use but it is how it made me feel.
Attention seeking.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The difference is that they do not issue multiple photographs, the media take them and publish them. There are times when it is ridiculous how many photographs are published especially on line of the same person at the same event.
There was a whole series of photographs issued of Harry and Meghan at the cemetery not just one, and as they now insist of having control and only use their choice of photographer they must have agreed it.
It was issued like a royal visit.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
By the way, Arthur Edwards, photographer for the Sun newspaper, a tabloid, was allowed to lay a wreath at the ceremony, on behalf of readers of the newspaper, who had contributed to the Poppy Appeal.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/131429...smaller-covid/

The Sun editors, no friends of Harry and Meghan, must have been highly delighted that their representative was allowed to place a wreath but Prince Harry wasn't.

I don't see the problem with that - he was laying the wreath in the name of a group of people who donated. Harry wanted to lay a wreath in his own name according to the Times.

If Harry and Meghan wanted to do something it would have been better to wait for 11/11 and volunteer at the VFW or some other organization that caters to the military. Going to the cemetery dressed up with a professional photographer on a day no one celebrates in the US just seems odd. If they were going to do that as a private visit they should have left the photographer at home.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I don't see the problem with that - they were laying the wreath in the name of a group of people who donated.

If Harry and Meghan wanted to do something it would have been better to wait for 11/11 and volunteer at the VFW or some other organization that caters to the military. Going to the cemetery dressed up with a professional photographer on a day no one celebrates in the US just seems odd. If they were going to do that as a private visit they should have left the photographer at home.
The Poppy collections are very much down this year so people can't easily get hold of poppies or make donations in the way they used to, so if the Suns readers made a contribution I think its Ok that they should be able to have a wreath laid on behalf of them.
I agree, if Harry wants to show solidarity with the military and veterans he can certainly keep in touch with the UK 's vet organizations but he's in the US now. He's living there and he's not a rep member of the BRF any more with a role to play. he is in essence an American resident and if he is concerned about military people there are plenty of US organizations he could join and help out with and attend their services. And if he felt on Rem Sunday that he wanted to go somewhere to honour the British or Commonwealth war dead, he could certainly do so but without a photographer...
Old 11-10-2020, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Had they not gave a photographer or release the photos, they would have been accused of having done nothing. Plain and simple.

Critics and detractors would have had a field day. 'War veteran Prince Harry does nothing to observe Remembrance Sunday?" " Duke of Sussex- Invictus games founder has forgotten about Vets since moving to the US"....etc etc.

On this very forum the couple has been accused numerous times "preaching to people" from the luxurious comforts of their California mansion. Now the couple has actually gotten out and done something. They observed Remembrance Sunday in a most modified and dignified way- and yet they are criticized.

As was said by someone earlier. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

As far as I’m concerned, Harry and Meghan have earned every bit of criticism over this PR stunt. However sincere he is about honoring the dead, I can not take his comments seriously when his agenda is to show the world how much he cares. He did it with that phone call to the Queen on her birthday....It’s ugly behavior. If H and M’s real priority was to pay tribute to war dead, they would have done so just as H and M Mountbatten-Windsor, not with a photographer trailing them in a photo shoot.

Quote:
Piers Morgan was quick to criticise the pair.

He wrote on Twitter: “My god, they've even turned Remembrance Sunday into another self-publicity stunt. Have they no shame?”

Royal commentator Dan Wootton also took a swipe at Meghan and Harry over the visit.

He said in a Twitter post: “How lucky that a photographer happened to be here to capture this deeply personal moment.”
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-news-cenotaph

I agree with Richard Palmer.

Quote:
The rift between the palace and Harry and Meghan is likely to deepen again. Why the need to take a PR photographer and publicise your “private” act of remembrance?
https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...676471808?s=21
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Had they not gave a photographer or release the photos, they would have been accused of having done nothing. Plain and simple.

Critics and detractors would have had a field day. 'War veteran Prince Harry does nothing to observe Remembrance Sunday?" " Duke of Sussex- Invictus games founder has forgotten about Vets since moving to the US"....etc etc.

On this very forum the couple has been accused numerous times "preaching to people" from the luxurious comforts of their California mansion. Now the couple has actually gotten out and done something. They observed Remembrance Sunday in a most modified and dignified way- and yet they are criticized.

As was said by someone earlier. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
It's simply not damned if they do and damned if they don't. Most posters on the forum do not object Harry and Meghan paying tribute to ex-serviceman on Remembrance Sunday. What they do object is the sheer number of photographs (7 in total) of Harry and Meghan in the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Had the photos been in similar format as these politicians, the response would have been different. Apologies for quoting myself on post #1040 with some edits.

Quote:
I know that there are politicians who released photos of themselves paying tribute in Whitehall Cenotaph or local war memorial. However, these photos were not just the politicians themselves, but also veterans, volunteers, locals and the memorial itself.
Prime Minister: https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/sta...92713580597249
Leader of the Opposition: https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/sta...94691371118592
Speaker of the House of Commons: https://twitter.com/LindsayHoyle_MP/...72794507960323
Andrew Bowie, Conservative MP for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine (at Local memorial): https://twitter.com/AndrewBowie_MP/s...64836707921923
Yvette Cooper, Labour MP for Normanton, Pontefract, Castleford & Knottingley (at Local memorial):
https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/s...57783144243202
Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council (outside parliament, picture not on remembrance service): https://www.instagram.com/p/CHXkFiSJ1_A/
Some of these photographs were probably not taken by photographers. George Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford (heir to the Duke of Marlborough) did not post photos of himself at all, but silhouettes of fallen soldiers and wreaths on the gardens of Blenheim Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHTM43YgFN3/

Some of the social media comments (that I have read) towards Arthur Edwards from the "Sussex Squads" have been ludicrous. Dare I say these comments were much worse than most posts in this forum. They actually compared Harry's plea in laying a wreath on personal behalf during the Remembrance service to Arthur Edwards laying a wreath behalf of The Sun readers at the end of the service (where members of the public were free to do so).
Old 11-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
It's simply not damned if they do and damned if they don't. Most posters on the forum do not object Harry and Meghan paying tribute to ex-serviceman on Remembrance Sunday. What they do object is the sheer number of photographs (7 in total) of Harry and Meghan in the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Had the photos been in similar format as these politicians, the response would have been different. Apologies for quoting myself on post #1040 with some edits.

Some of these photographs were probably not taken by photographers. George Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford (heir to the Duke of Marlborough) did not post photos of himself at all, but silhouettes of fallen soldiers and wreaths on the gardens of Blenheim Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHTM43YgFN3/

Some of the social media comments (that I have read) towards Arthur Edwards from the "Sussex Squads" have been ludicrous. Dare I say these comments were much worse than most posts in this forum. They actually compared Harry's plea in laying a wreath on personal behalf during the Remembrance service to Arthur Edwards laying a wreath behalf of The Sun readers at the end of the service (where members of the public were free to do so).
I object to any photos of H and M at the cemetery, not just the number. You can’t compare photos taken at official ceremonies to those taken at private moments. The former are always going to be published, the latter rarely.

I really resent Harry using the heroic, sacrificing war dead to further his agenda of proving he cares. I don’t see much about him anymore that is wholly genuine; the more I think about this, the angrier I get. This is so ridiculous ..H and M could have “personally recognize[d] the occasion without publicizing their doing so. Sheesh, they even have their spokesperson detailing exactly what they did (ooh, flowers picked from their own garden, lol) just to be sure everyone knows how caring they are.

Quote:
”It was important to the Duke and Duchess to be able to personally recognize Remembrance in their own way, to pay tribute to those who have served and to those who gave their lives,” their spokesperson said in a statement, according to the U.K. Express.

“The couple laid flowers that the Duchess picked from their garden at the gravesites of two Commonwealth soldiers, one who had served in the Royal Australian Air Force and one from the Royal Canadian Artillery,” the spokesperson added
I also read this today.. I can’t say I’m surprised (Seward goes into more detail)...I will say that Roberta Fiorito, who I’ve never heard of, is off her rocker if she thinks H and M’s popularity in the US has “skyrocketed”.

Quote:
Appearing as a guest on the Royally Obsessed podcast, Seward, a royal commentator and biographer who has written 18 books, explained: "We [Majesty] stopped having Harry and Meghan on the cover a while ago.

"It just wasn't selling, the magazine wasn't selling when they were on the cover," she said.

"HELLO! magazine actually told me the same thing. Obviously there are some beautiful pictures of them.

"I would like to have them on the cover but it just doesn't seem to work."

Of which co-host Roberta Fiorito agreed, she said: "It is interesting because I feel like their popularity here skyrocketed. So it's interesting to see the perception over in the UK."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...lling-22972607
Old 11-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

When looking at these unfortunate pictures, one realizes again what they had in mind: the big entrance at the handpicked, big and important events, such like Remembrance Sunday, refresh their position and value and then off again, making the big bugs off their position and value until the next time.
I'm glad the BRF stand firm with their decision to be either in or out, and as a result we see pictures desperately trying to refresh a position or value that has gone since they decided to leave.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Courtier

To be honest, the Daily Mail are not fans of the couple and have not been almost from the outset. As I see it anyway.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Agreed. While I believe that the Sussexes decision to lay a wreath and a couple of bouquets was acceptable. However it is their decision to take and release several photographs of themselves that makes me uncomfortable. IMHO one or two photos would have been sufficient but releasing seven photos is excessive.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point, but it is just the accompanying fashion / celebrity photographer and multiple pictures being released that people are commenting on
I think I understand why people think the photographs were self-serving but throughout his life, Harry has demonstrated a genuine appreciation of the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives in the service of their country. However, perhaps I missed a post, but do you think you would feel differently if he were living in Canada (a commonwealth country) or Wales or Scotland?

In my opinion, he is still a public figure and a member of the royal family. I don't see anything wrong with him sending a public signal of his continued commitment to honoring the memories of his nation's heroes - even if he doesn't live in a commonwealth country.

Closed Thread