The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Yep...one photographer is one too many.

Oh, and so much for their desire for privacy. It seems that H and M are documenting every bit of their life for public consumption
I totally agree. I'm over these two!

Old 11-09-2020, 05:39 AM
Serene Highness

I only saw that Harry did anything for Remembrance Day thanks to comments here, so I googled not knowing what to expect. My instant reaction was cringe--they looked so very staged. From a PR perspective, it would have been better to look less formal and release a couple of photos. Would have been even better if they honored someone they knew or whose family they have a connection with, and highlight that in the stories, just to make it less staged. :/

Old 11-09-2020, 05:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
I only saw that Harry did anything for Remembrance Day thanks to comments here, so I googled not knowing what to expect. My instant reaction was cringe--they looked so very staged. From a PR perspective, it would have been better to look less formal and release a couple of photos. Would have been even better if they honored someone they knew or whose family they have a connection with, and highlight that in the stories, just to make it less staged. :/
Or how about not release any photos at all? What they do as private individuals is - private. It just looked awfully staged...and while i didn't take much heed of the story that Harry had been told he couldn't have a wreath placed on his behalf, I do now think that yes they've put out these stories just like they took a photographer to a cemetary to photograph them...
Old 11-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think if the Sussexes had a social media platform that they used such as Instagram (I realise SussexRoyal is no longer used) then they could have posted one image and made a remark about marking the day. It would not have been dissimilar to what was shared on Kensington Royal or as another poster mentioned the members of parliament.

But to release so many photos, and have them look so staged, just sends the wrong message IMO.

They chose to leave and live in California, to no longer be working members of the royal family and this decision ultimately has consequences. I don’t judge them in this decision and do believe they made it with the best interest of their family life at the heart of it. But they, particularly Harry I feel, need to appreciate that this has hurt many people. The armed forces that he represented, the British people as well as his family will have been so disappointed by his choice. For all their sakes it is time to start using a little tact and consideration for others.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:03 AM
Majesty

I thought that mabye they HAD settled down a bit and mabye they were going to become more private, do a litlte charity work but not appear on Zoom every week or have stories in the media. But it seems I was wrong..
Old 11-09-2020, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Hmm but he made a point of going to the graves of Commonwealth soldiers...and on the same day as the remembrance was taking place in the UK.. as if he was trying to emphaisise that he was doing the same as his royal relatives in GB..
The time that M&H visited the cemetery in California would be very close to the evening in London. The fact that Harry paid his respects at the L.A. cemetery on U.K. Remembrance Day makes sense to me. Despite the fact he's living in L.A. and restricted regarding travel due to the pandemic, doesn't mean he has no right to practice meaningful Remembrance Day customs in his current country of residence. It certainly makes sense that Harry would seek out the graves of Commonwealth soldiers at the L.A. cemetery.

Harry exists as a separate human being with his own feelings and experiences. He served in the British military with distinction for ten years. Remembrance Day has significant and personally emotional meaning for Harry. To suggest that he's emphasizing anything other than dutifully and devotedly paying his respects to fallen soldiers is rather offensive.

Harry's words in the military podcast, Declassified, are very sincere and poignant:
"I wear the Poppy to recognize all those who have served; the soldiers I knew, as well as those I didn't. The soldiers who were by my side in Afghanistan, those who had their lives changed forever, and those that didn't come home. I wear it to celebrate the bravery and determination of all our veterans, and their loved ones, especially those in our Invictus family. These are the people and moments I remember when I salute, when I stand at attention and when I lay a wreath at the Cenotaph... Remembrance Day for me is a moment for respect and for hope. Respect for those who came before us and hope for a safer world. Even when we can't all be together, we always remember together.”
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...itary-podcast/

A friend and veteran, Dean Stott, whom Harry served with in the British military posted this statement in support:
“Prince Harry served his country in combat. Since leaving the military he has gone above and beyond for the veteran community and continues to do so. If anyone has earned the right to lay a wreath at the cenotaph, then it is him.”
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...nce-day-photo/
Old 11-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Royal Highness

I can completely understand why the palace refused their request. The Queen hold the Remembrance Services as sacrosanct. Everything from divorces, family arguments and everything in between was placed on hold or told to be moved aside for Remembrance Day by order.
Harry knows this - so his actions show very bad judgement. I simply do not know what he was hoping for. Personal I think the rejection was what was wanted and expected.

I have been told by a number of people that Harry simply needs to wait around. Prince Charles has promised to give him his half half royal life as soon as he is King. All he has to do is wait. But H& M are worried about his popularity and reputation at the moment so I expect more PR like this so that it can be used later.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 AM
Serene Highness

Q1. How do we know the story of being refused the wreath is correct?

Secondly I was just thinking how quiet the forums have been lately but once again we are back debating their actions, they have made the event about them again.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I can completely understand why the palace refused their request. The Queen hold the Remembrance Services as sacrosanct. Everything from divorces, family arguments and everything in between was placed on hold or told to be moved aside for Remembrance Day by order.
Harry knows this - so his actions show very bad judgement. I simply do not know what he was hoping for. Personal I think the rejection was what was wanted and expected.

I have been told by a number of people that Harry simply needs to wait around. Prince Charles has promised to give him his half half royal life as soon as he is King. All he has to do is wait. But H& M are worried about his popularity and reputation at the moment so I expect more PR like this so that it can be used later.
I would like to know the source for Charles giving him what they want once he is king. Nobody else has mentioned that, if so they should be lying low not aggravating people.
The British public might have another opinion on that.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
In all online publication, they credit the photos to Lee Morgan/PA.
According to his website, he's a Afro-American/Brazilian professional photographer specializes in fashion and celebrity portraiture, currently residing LA and his client list include Vogue.

So yes, it can be confirmed that it's not paps photo.
Thanks!

Good grief, this is really pathetic. I wouldn’t be surprised if Harry doesn’t care that he was turned down about the wreath, that he was perfectly happy with the media knowing that he’d asked. His and Meghan’s need to prove they care - about anything - only makes them look narcissistic and shallow. They care only about appearances. I’m disgusted.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:31 AM
Royal Highness

I have wondered that myself to be honest. Time will tell.
Nothing to do with the British public, Charles he can do what he wants. It will of course be spanned for PR benefits on both sides.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

It's very unseemly that an argument should have broken out over Remembrance Sunday, of all things. I think the last time this happened was in 1981, when Michael Foot, the then leader of the Opposition, turned up at the Cenotaph in a scruffy old coat instead of being respectfully dressed. That was nearly 40 years ago. Everyone else - Royals, politicians, religious leaders, other dignitaries - knows that this is not time for making personal points or airing personal differences.

I'm sure that Harry genuinely wanted to pay his respects, but doing it in this publicity-seeking way is not at all appropriate. And presumably the story about his request to have a wreath laid in Whitehall being denied was leaked to the press by him, because I can't see that it would have been leaked by anyone at this end.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I just reread this thread and it is just hilarious.
Even when the couple does what their critics suggest they are criticized.

The more I think of it the more genius of a move this was.
It now looks simply vindictive of BP to decide not to honor the Duke's request to lay a wreath on his behalf given his longstand support for veterans and he himself being one. But even so had they done that, I'm sure the couple's detractors would be asking why they didn't do something in honor of the day.

So Harry did a most honorable gesture by observing the Remembrance Sunday where he was located. He covered bases by honoring servicemen of the commonwealth and at a location that had ties to Meghan's grandfather's service.
Well done Harry & Meghan!
That is interesting that there is a link to Meghan relatives.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
In all online publication, they credit the photos to Lee Morgan/PA.
According to his website, he's a Afro-American/Brazilian professional photographer specializes in fashion and celebrity portraiture, currently residing LA and his client list include Vogue.

So yes, it can be confirmed that it's not paps photo.
Quote:

What people ? People in the know? I’m skeptical ..but if it’s true, that’s a mistake.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Royal Highness

The people been members of the royal rota, including TV royal correspondents. Like I said - time will tell. There must be a reason why some feel this way, or they might be speculating just as we do.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have wondered that myself to be honest. Time will tell.
Nothing to do with the British public, Charles he can do what he wants. It will of course be spanned for PR benefits on both sides.
I have a different view on it being nothing to do with the British people. I would also like to put in a reminder the posters were saying on the forums that they left because it had been made clear there was no place for them, no role for them to play, so they left. The photo of the 4 had been the last straw etc etc, yet here we are now saying Charles has asked them to wait and they will get back.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The people been members of the royal rota, including TV royal correspondents. Like I said - time will tell. There must be a reason why some feel this way, or they might be speculating just as we do.
These are the same people that get roasted on here for their articles in the tabloids or Twitter feeds. The clickbait that posters love to talk about.

Going by Kate's face at the commonwealth servjce if she has a say in it there will be no chance
Old 11-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Aristocracy

These two...
IMO a photo of a wreath they laid on the 11th with couple meainingful words would be much better. Or a grand gesture - donation or sth to organisation working with vetetans. Or buying flowers for the graves and helping local florists.
They could also go, pay respects privately and say nothing. Or, when questioned, say they did "celebrate" the day in this or that way.
It was never about being private individuals, it was about having their own royal family.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Courtier

It's weird they dressed formally and staged their own "Remembrance Day" photo shoot especially considering Veteran's Day in the US is on a different day. If they wanted to honor vets why not volunteer on Veteran's Day to work at an organization serving them? That would have been better.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I would like to know the source for Charles giving him what they want once he is king. Nobody else has mentioned that, if so they should be lying low not aggravating people.
The British public might have another opinion on that.
I find it hard to beleive that Charles woudl be any more willing than the queen was to allow them to be half in and half out. He might be willing ot allow some flexibility but I think that money making activities and living abroad for long periods would be out. If he DID want to hold on to them.. because he needs them as royal workers, he would harldy want them to be causing controversy, in their "free" periods, and the way they've behaved in the past year shows that he CANT rely on them to err on the side of caution and to put the monarchy before their own wishes. The more they do these kinds of things, the more the public will turn against them and the message Ch will get form the public is "even if you feel you need these two as workers, do wihtout them - we dont want to see them..."

Closed Thread