The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they did actually pay back the money themselves after signing that deal with Netflix and spending a lot of money on a mansion in California.

It wouldn't have surprised me if it was "suggested" that they hand the keys to a young couple who wanted to be in Windsor and were suitable tenants. However a couple of different sources said HM/Crown Estates were initially blindsided by the deal - which does seem to be how Harry and Meghan have operated. But who knows?

At the time it was said they wanted their own space (possibly not being on top of William and Kate) and that they loved Windsor because it was where they spent so much of their "courtship" in privacy.

But then there are also stories of them feeling slighted and upset as well because it used to be a servants house, especially that they didn't get their own court there. It may have seemed like a good idea at first and not worked out well. Although they didn't exactly give it much time and may have already been planning their escape.

The difference between FC and their home in Montecito is pretty apparent, even allowing for a change in country and culture.

Sadly every photo I have seen of Frogmore Cottage is of the rear of the house and no updated photo of the front. Unless someone has it and would like to share.

No, Meghan had the miscarriage in July on this year.

The sudden privacy of the delay of the trial had me suspecting something of this nature. Not the miscarriage but that Meghan is newly pregnant, again, and with her now medical history they are being very careful.

My heartbreaks for them.

It's brave of her to speak out about it. So many people still don't feel able to speak about miscarriage - I think Zara speaking out publicly was a very positive thing to do, and now Meghan.

Whenever any celeb couple marry, especially Royals, there's always a lot of speculation about when they're going to start a family, and people need to remember that, unfortunately, having children is not that easy for everyone, and that it's extremely insensitive to keep going on about it. We know that Edward and Sophie struggled to conceive, and, although it's never been said, it seems likely that Albert and Charlene did too.

Zara though only announced the first miscarriage because she had already announced the pregnancy so she had to announce the miscarriage. She only spoke about the second one after she had safely delivered Lena.

It's sad for any couple. But how very private of her to share this with no need other than bringing attention again to the 'are you ok' saga in South Africa, shifting the attention to herself.
I am aware that this is a very controversial topic (see Chrissy Teigen) but I don't like the constant choosing of privacy when it suits and abandoning it when it can be instrumentalised for a personal agenda.

I feel very sorry for Meghan and Harry. I hope that they will be able to overcome these difficult moments.

It's sad for any couple. But how very private of her to share this with no need other than bringing attention again to the 'are you ok' saga in South Africa, shifting the attention to herself.
I am aware that this is a very controversial topic (see Chrissy Teigen) but I don't like the constant choosing of privacy when it suits and abandoning it when it can be instrumentalised for a personal agenda.

It is a very private matter, and I dont think she needs to tell people - as she's now a private person. Even as a royal there's no need to tell people. but if it helps her to deal with the process its Ok..

Even when she is mourning a child people have to attack her really :bang:

Miscarriages are one of the most painful things a woman can go through. And for her husband as well. To even talk about it with people you love is hard. To open up about it to the public is even worse.

The stigma about talking about miscarriages and the depression is still alive.

One could hope people could set aside their dislike of Meghan to actually feel some compassion for a couple who have lost a child.

Its important people like Meghan and others in the spotlight actually discus struggles like this. It helps people realize that its not a shame to be hidden.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very private matter, and I dont think she needs to tell people - as she's now a private person. Even as a royal there's no need to tell people. but if it helps her to deal with the process its Ok..

That’s also an issue. Miscarriage is deeply personal but it doesn’t have to be a secret. There is still such a stigma around talking about it. Women are encouraged to walk around in silent pain about it. People grieve and heal in their own ways.

Miscarriages are one of the most painful things a woman can go through. And for her husband as well. To even talk about it with people you love is hard. To open up about it to the public is even worse.

Sad it's people who criticize 'agenda' who push that stigma a step forward.

One could hope people could set aside their dislike of Meghan to actually feel some compassion for a couple who have lost a child. Zara talks about her miscarriage (yes it was public because her pregnancy was known but she didn't need to speak about it) 'Oh she is so brave'. Kate speaks about things like her HG 'oh she is such a strong woman'. Meghan? 'Oh just trying for attention'.

Its important people like Meghan and others in the spotlight actually discus struggles like this. It helps people realize that its not a shame to be hidden.

I am sure the other poster Duke of Marmelade does have compassion, too,
just like I have.
but whatelse he says is simply true, too. especially as those two pretend they want to keep their privacy but choose when to use it to get attention-
simply been seen since M. entered the stage.

Miscarriage appear to be more frequent as we are able to spot pregnancies sooner now. I was told that more then 50% of early pregnancies are actually miscarried.

Should you announce this to the world - not mine to answer. Yes there is need for a breaking for a stigma. But it really depends on the person, some people need to mourn this in private while others feel the need to talk. No way is correct or wrong. People deal with things differently. And I would like to point out that openly mourning a miscarriage usually involves within the family and close circle and not the world media.

I dont think anyone thinks that a miscarriage is soemthing shameful that has to be hidden and many women would not want to talk about it. If Meghan does, that's Ok.. but neither she nor any other woman should feel obliged to do so.

It's courageous to speak up ... i guess.
I mean, the lines are so blurred with them, i don't know what to think. This kind of information is totally unexpected from a member of the BRF because, in a way, it's so unbritish to share in public such an intimate topic.
Is it good or bad ? I simply can't tell. As usual with the Sussexes i'm so ill at ease with the method. But it's maybe just me.
Anyway it's a difficult moment for any family, whatever the status, so my deepest sympathies are, naturally, with them.

Last edited:
That’s also an issue. Miscarriage is deeply personal but it doesn’t have to be a secret. There is still such a stigma around talking about it. Women are encouraged to walk around in silent pain about it. People grieve and heal in their own ways.
Where is there a stigma about it??

Where is there a stigma about it??

The stigma comes from the fact that, in some traditional cultures, a woman who has trouble getting pregnant or suffers a miscarriage when she is pregnant is seen as "defective". That is based on a concept in those cultures that a woman's main purpose in life is to procreate and, if she cannot do it, she is a "failure".

It may sound far-fetched, but it is real in many parts of the world and in many families.

My sympathies for their loss.

Last edited:
The stigma comes from the fact that, in some traditional cultures, a woman who has trouble getting pregnant or suffers a miscarriage when she is pregnant is seen as "defective". That is based on a concept in those cultures that a woman's main purpose in life is to procreate and, if she cannot do it, she is a "failure".

It may sound far-fetched, but it is real in many parts of the world and in many families.

I dont think that many people in the western world fee/think like that, and I dont think that most western women who are public figures feel that they can't talk about reproductive issues publicly.. However it is sad for Meghan and I hope she is OK

I dont think that many people in the western world fee/think like that, and I dont think that most western women who are public figures feel that they can't talk about reproductive issues publicly.. However it is sad for Meghan and I hope she is OK

It is not a western country, but Masako's troubles in Japan illustrate my point.

Meghan's sharing of she and Harry's grief at her miscarriage is something deeply painful and sharing the experience will give a lot of couple's permission to show their grief too as it is often callously dismissed as 'NBD, you can always have another or at least try again!'

Well sorry, it is a big deal and by Meghan including Harry's pain, they validate husbands and partners own grief which is often glossed over as if it didn't really affect them.

I don't remember such harsh accusations of attention seeking when Zara decided to do the same in the UK. Both couples came from the same position in hoping that sharing their stories might give others in the same situation validation of their grief.
Even GMB were supportive of their decision to share and Piers Morgan even admitted that he calls them out when he thinks they deserve it, but this was different.

There are definately attitudes about this projected in western cultures today. . Look at the HGDs of Lux. Further there is an expectation from even the most progressive monarchies that the heir will have children.

LaRae

Let’s try and keep the discussion about Meghan and not start bringing in comparisons to other members of the BRF. Thanks.

On the one hand, my heart breaks for them, Hack on twitter even their biggest criticizers have shared their sympathies.

On the other hand, the entire letter left me.. confused, I guess, as to what it was about, was it about the miscarriage? racism? being kind? taking another swipe and those of us who obviously misunderstood her SA interview..:ermm:
There was a salad of things (and not even too well written), and it left a bad taste in my mouth like she was using the miscarriage to have her letter published, that she is so desperate to have her voice heard on anything heard.

One could hope people could set aside their dislike of Meghan to actually feel some compassion for a couple who have lost a child.

No one is attacking her. We are just confused. they want privacy for their private life, but go on to share such private information in an extremely odd way, the entire essay was unfocused.
You can feel hurt for them while also side eye this essay and question their reasons for publishing it, given it violates their privacy, and it is not merely about the miscarriage but a bunch of other topics.

I know no advanced western country in which a miscarriage is a viewed as a shame, but people do understand and accept it is, as Nico said, "Intimate". And so when it is coupled with announcing it to the world (usually you would share it with friends and family) while mixing in a buttload of other unrelated topics, it raised eyebrows and a bit of a question mark as to the motives.
Now add in that so many other, low rated, celebrities have been doing this too, sharing their miscarriages experiences, this feels like another bandwagon.

To people saying: 'why is Meghan Markle sharing her story if she doesn't want negative media attention?' It is very simple: there is a difference between sharing your own pain, and having others cause it. You have a right to your own truth. And a right to tell it.
- Matt Haig

And that fully sums up my opinion.

I thought so too, especially since they could have moved into KP without all the fuss.
But it was said at the time that they preferred to live in Windsor.
I think this decision might've been a mix between their fondness of Windsor (now long gone), wanting to have a little bit of space (in more ways than one...) and privacy. Not to mention, looking at the cost of renovating apartment 1A, the costs might've been comparable - if apartment 1 would be available for them, as was speculated.

Oh my lord, no one is attacking anyone here. I have all the sympathy in the world for Meghan and Harry (and their respective families, who - I do hope - didn't find out about it from the The New York Times...), because that's a terrible thing to go through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Do I get an icky feeling that she decided to:
a. bring up the damned SA interview that she'll never, ever be able to fully defend?
b. shared this info in The New York Times with the usual word salad bringing up racism, inequality and probably 10 other social issues?
Well, yeah. I do.

I think this is an awful thing that happened for no reason to people who do not deserve it. I also think she's using it to gain sympathy and exposure. One can think both of those things at the same time.

I am not a fan of Meghan’s, but I have no issue with the piece, which I did think was quite moving. It seems to me that the main object of the piece was to speak to our loneliness, pain and division in this horrible year, and she chose to share her most private pain in so doing. I have no problem with that at all. I did roll my eyes a little at the reference to the Africa interview, but I’m not going to make a big deal out of that as it’s hardly the focus of this article.

I think this decision might've been a mix between their fondness of Windsor (now long gone), wanting to have a little bit of space (in more ways than one...) and privacy. Not to mention, looking at the cost of renovating apartment 1A, the costs might've been comparable - if apartment 1 would be available for them, as was speculated.

b. shared this info in The New York Times with the usual word salad bringing up racism, inequality and probably 10 other social issues?
Well, yeah. I do.

I think this is an awful thing that happened for no reason to people who do not deserve it. I also think she's using it to gain sympathy and exposure. One can think both of those things at the same time.
Why is there stuff about the SA interview? where is this information? DID she write a letter to the N Y Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom