The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Majesty

If Harry had gone privately to memorial services in LA etc, after it was known that his wreath was refused at the Cenotaph, then social and other media would have created a narrative about Harry and his wife sulking at home and not doing anything to recognise Remembrance Day.

Harry is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in a lot of these situations. If he tries to show that he has remembered the Fallen and proves it with a few photos then he is accused of copying the Royal family and being a publicity hog about it. If he doesn't appear then he has turned his back on dead comrades etc.

Harry spoke in that podcast to fellow vets on how much Remembrance Day meant to him and how honoured he was to wear the uniform on that day and other occasions. I don't believe he was insincere or visiting the cemetery for publicity of any kind.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

To let it be known that he did mark and observe the day.
If he did not do this as others mentioned he would have been heavily criticized.
Harry- who served in Afghanistan, is pro-Vet, who founded the Invictus games did not mark this day?!?
The horror!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
A most appropriate choice for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont see why he couldn't have gone to a cemetery or memorial to lay a wreath or flowers.. and done it privately. Or if tehere were any veterans memorail events to just go to them as private citizens....What is the point of taking a photographer along?

Old 11-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If Harry had gone privately to memorial services in LA etc, after it was known that his wreath was refused at the Cenotaph, then social and other media would have created a narrative about Harry and his wife sulking at home and not doing anything to recognise Remembrance Day.

Harry is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in a lot of these situations. If he tries to show that he has remembered the Fallen and proves it with a few photos then he is accused of copying the Royal family and being a publicity hog about it. If he doesn't appear then he has turned his back on dead comrades etc.

Harry spoke in that podcast to fellow vets on how much Remembrance Day meant to him and how honoured he was to wear the uniform on that day and other occasions. I don't believe he was insincere or visiting the cemetery for publicity of any kind.
They could have announced that they had made a private act of remembrance.
He claims to hate cameras but he was happy for photographs to be taken.
Putting a wreath on the stand is IMO what visiting dignitaries do.
They are using PR , which degrades remembrance Sunday which is about honouring those who fell for our freedom.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I know first hand about veterans so I am not going to say anything was ruined. The more attention is paid to veterans is a good thing for me.
Remembrance Day for the British is about the cenotaph service. I'm sure our American friends can appreciate that. Or at least attempt to understand the sensitivities around this issue.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I beg to differ on so many levels but I will just take one.

I actually respect the couple for releasing the photo hours AFTER the Queen and other members of the riyal family participated in Remembrance Sunday.

That way he cannot be accused of upstaging anyone. Not that he could have given that as a former serviceman he has a right to observe Rememberance Day and lay a wreath!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I had hoped to avoid this but I just can't believe that such a day has been sullied by this publicity seeking individual.

Can I just point out that the focus of Remembrance Day is the service at the cenotaph in the presence of the monarch.

The duke knew that this would be a distraction from that. He didn't have to be photographed doing this & he certainly didn't have to have it published on Remembrance Day.

Utterly contemptible. He really is too bloody much.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Aristocracy

Good luck on trying to create a Royal Family here. Majority of Americans do not even follow the Royal Family and him being denied makes sense he is no longer a working Royal. Why do they need cameras for this photo op?

Those titles need to be shanked.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I know first hand about veterans so I am not going to say anything was ruined. The more attention is paid to veterans is a good thing for me.

That said. The announcement of the Biden Win really put full attention on that all day yesterday and is headline news today. In the US Veterans day is on November 11.
We call it remembrance Sunday, but November 11th is remembrance day. We remember those who died in all conflicts for our freedom.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Really if they wanted to do this, they could have done this in private, they wanted all the PR to show it to the world1 this is an act, nothing more than that.
I don't even see how their supporters can defend this.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Also why not wait until November 11? Which is Veteran's day here in America, it just seems they want to upstage the Royals in England.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:37 PM
Majesty

Harry is not only an ex serviceman, a vet, but twice served in combat zones. He's probably sadly seen more dead and dying British service personnel with his own eyes than most of us will thankfully ever see.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Jerk move by House Windsor for not letting a wreath by Harry be lain. It would also have been a symbol that the family was still working things out. Harry served in a combat zone so he has the right to honor the fallen. I have no problem about the photographer there; the press would have twisted it that Harry didn't care and there is no photographic evidence. The Sussexes may be seen on US Veterans Day. Meghan's maternal grandfather apparently served in the US Coast Guard.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I admire your loyalty Curryong but I do feel that this has been very badly handled. Remembrance Day is not about the duke.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Harry finally got the exact situation he has hinted that for years he desired. A chance to mark the most private moments in life without the glare of the camera following him.

Frankly, I didn't believe The Times story about him requesting to have a wreath laid because he should know that he is no more entitled to that than any other retired service member. I couldn't imagine in what world he would have made such a request. Until he showed up and had his own private wreath-laying, complete with personal publicity photos.

I'm not sure where people get the idea he "would have been criticized" for not marking this day publicly. This is not a day marked publicly in the United States where this man is a resident. That is like saying he would have been criticized for not publicly marking Trooping the Colour... there is nothing to publicly mark. Only the most self-egrandized of persons could possibly think to create a public ceremony of something that is not a public event here. There's also the fact that... he wasn't criticized for it. The day's media was over in the UK. He had only been criticized for his laughable request as Harry Citizen to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Now this is just pathetic .
Old 11-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Harry is not only an ex serviceman, a vet, but twice served in combat zones. He's probably sadly seen more dead and dying British service personnel with his own eyes than most of us will thankfully ever see.
Of course & why would anyone dispute that. With respect that's not the issue though.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Majesty

No, it isn't about any individual members of the BRF. It is about the Fallen in two World Wars and more recent conflicts. Which Harry, as an ex service man, who served in combat, has every right to observe and honour. Have any of the courtiers who knocked back his request for a wreath to be laid at the Cenotaph ever seen a shot fired in anger?
Old 11-08-2020, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I think that this was a very kind and respectable gesture, and I have no issues with them paying their respects. I also recognize that they're in between a rock and a hard place; if they HADN'T done anything to mark the day they would have been criticized for ignoring veterans and the fallen, which would be a really bad look seeing as how important veterans' issues are and always have been to Harry.

But I also get the criticism for again bringing along a photographer so they can publicize it. I also think that the rock and the hard place they find themselves between is their own doing. If they had faded into the background so they could live the private life they claim they so desperately wanted, I don't think it would be an issue. But they seem to be grasping for every opportunity to stay in the public eye, and I think are still doing their best to create their own version of the half-in, half-out scenario.
Yes I do agree with the last sentence and that the couple do want to be in a "half-in/half out" mode.
To be honest since the couple made it clear they were stepping back from senior royal duties, I don't believe that Prince Harry would have been criticized for not making a public gesture regarding Remembrance Sunday. I find this to be especially true during a pandemic year when so many of these types of events were scaled back. He's made private visits in the past when he was volunteering with veterans in the UK, so he could have opted to keep their visit to the Los Angeles National Cemetery completely private.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, it isn't about any individual members of the BRF. It is about the Fallen in two World Wars and more recent conflicts. Which Harry, as an ex service man, who served in combat, has every right to observe and honour. Have any of the courtiers who knocked back his request for a wreath to be laid at the Cenotaph ever seen a shot fired in anger?
This is why it was so utterly distasteful to have a photoshoot at a cemetery on Remembrance Sunday.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

And it's not even Remembrance Sunday in America. Harry could have laid his own wreath, but he chose to no longer be a Working Royal.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
We call it remembrance Sunday, but November 11th is remembrance day. We remember those who died in all conflicts for our freedom.
True the actual date for Remembrance day is the 11th and many observe a 2 minute silence then. But in order to have a public rememBbrance servce with the RF and the veterans in attendance, it is held on the Sunday nearest to 11th, which falls on the 8th this year.

Closed Thread