The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is currently fenced off as BLM tried to burn the flag or damage the statue during the week. The fence was removed for today - unsure what they will do tonight.
Usually the move all the wreath up on the plinth area and traffics flows normally around it. Then new wreaths replace them on the 11th. However there is normally a lot more wrath's.
Anyway if a member of the RF wanted to have a wreath placed there, I am sure it would be done for them.. on a private basis....

Old 11-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I wonder whether there would be a remembrance Sunday service by the British community in the larger LA area. Our church in Peru had one each year and it was the best attended service each year (I think it even topped Christmas Eve).

TBH I don't know for certain if there is an annual one, but it does sound like an excellent idea. Unfortunately due to COVID 19 Los Angeles Co. is still in the purple tier, so attendance at religious services is limited now.

Honestly I believe that Prince Harry should he wish to attend one on Veteran's Day,should consider attending one in Santa Barbara or Ventura counties as both are in the lower red tier and there might be a little more flexibility.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

A reminder that this is not the place for conspiracy theories or comparisons. Any further posts along those lines will be removed.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan today at LA National Cemetery.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...201419278?s=21
Old 11-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Courtier

With travel restrictions I don't think it would have been advisable for Harry to travel. There are ceremonies for US veterans that Harry could attend or contribute to veterans causes.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Harry can go buy a wreath and do his own cenotaph memorial at one of the many memorials around California. No doubt he can document it for a magazine or two.
Good guess: their personal recognition included a photographer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Old 11-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

"Poignantly, the cemetery the couple chose to visit is opposite the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System building, which was used by Meghan’s grandfather, Alvin Ragland, after he served in the U.S. Coast Guard."

Lovely.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:56 PM
Courtier

How nice. So many veterans need help, they are ill and can't get medicine they need at times and some are homeless. It would be great if Harry and Meghan can welcome veterans to an event like sharing the holidays with them. I do see it as something to publicize to call attention to the needs of veterans and set up a charity fund.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

A most appropriate choice for today.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that this was a very kind and respectable gesture, and I have no issues with them paying their respects. I also recognize that they're in between a rock and a hard place; if they HADN'T done anything to mark the day they would have been criticized for ignoring veterans and the fallen, which would be a really bad look seeing as how important veterans' issues are and always have been to Harry.

But I also get the criticism for again bringing along a photographer so they can publicize it. I also think that the rock and the hard place they find themselves between is their own doing. If they had faded into the background so they could live the private life they claim they so desperately wanted, I don't think it would be an issue. But they seem to be grasping for every opportunity to stay in the public eye, and I think are still doing their best to create their own version of the half-in, half-out scenario.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Courtier

It is a rock and a hard place. The thing is they want to earn their keep and if they are not seen then they would be criticized for "doing nothing". If they do charity work they should be working and calling attention to it, they would not be able to "distance" themselves from it. And Harry has long been involved already with Invictus and there are other opportunities to help veterans. I would recommend choosing a few charities and doing substantial work with each of them. I don't think that they meant by "private life" that they would just retreat and never be seen. I think they can hope for a relatively private life but not completely private.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Courtier

acdc1 I agree with you.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I think that this was a very kind and respectable gesture, and I have no issues with them paying their respects. I also recognize that they're in between a rock and a hard place; if they HADN'T done anything to mark the day they would have been criticized for ignoring veterans and the fallen, which would be a really bad look seeing as how important veterans' issues are and always have been to Harry.

But I also get the criticism for again bringing along a photographer so they can publicize it. I also think that the rock and the hard place they find themselves between is their own doing. If they had faded into the background so they could live the private life they claim they so desperately wanted, I don't think it would be an issue. But they seem to be grasping for every opportunity to stay in the public eye, and I think are still doing their best to create their own version of the half-in, half-out scenario.
That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere and the gesture is actually heartfelt, but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!
Old 11-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!
I dont see why he couldn't have gone to a cemetery or memorial to lay a wreath or flowers.. and done it privately. Or if tehere were any veterans memorail events to just go to them as private citizens....What is the point of taking a photographer along?
Old 11-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
That's what it comes across as "Team Sussex Independent Royalty" which, ok that's a... choice. I do think Harry is sincere and the gesture is actually heartfelt, but bringing your own photographer to a private event to mimic what your family are doing at an official national event and make it your own official event.... Yes rock and a hard place and all, it's just.. Team Sussex Independent Royalty, we really are royalty, honest! Take us seriously, look at us. Please!
It really does feel almost like they're trying to create their own little American Royal Family. Doing the exact same thing that the official RF is doing. But if you think about, that seems a bit like what they wanted when they were still official working royals- splitting off into their own household and their own royal foundation, etc.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

I had hoped to avoid this but I just can't believe that such a day has been sullied by this publicity seeking individual.

Can I just point out that the focus of Remembrance Day is the service at the cenotaph in the presence of the monarch.

The duke knew that this would be a distraction from that. He didn't have to be photographed doing this & he certainly didn't have to have it published on Remembrance Day.

Utterly contemptible. He really is too bloody much.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

LMAO At them trying to upstage the Royal Family's remembrance. Why would they need to hire PR to take a photo of them? So much for wanting privacy.

I really do want to like Harry & Meghan but Goodness.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
It really does feel almost like they're trying to create their own little American Royal Family. Doing the exact same thing that the official RF is doing. But if you think about, that seems a bit like what they wanted when they were still official working royals- splitting off into their own household and their own royal foundation, etc.
It happens to be leaked earlier today that he was refused a wreath at the UK service, then tonight we see photographs of them attending a private ceremony.
I thought he hated cameras,
All very sad.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Really if they wanted to do this, they could have done this in private, they wanted all the PR to show it to the world1 this is an act, nothing more than that.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I had hoped to avoid this but I just can't believe that such a day has been sullied by this publicity seeking individual.

Can I just point out that the focus of Remembrance Day is the service at the cenotaph in the presence of the monarch.

The duke knew that this would be a distraction from that. He didn't have to be photographed doing this & he certainly didn't have to have it published on Remembrance Day.

Utterly contemptible. He really is too bloody much.
I know first hand about veterans so I am not going to say anything was ruined. The more attention is paid to veterans is a good thing for me.

That said. The announcement of the Biden Win really put full attention on that all day yesterday and is headline news today. In the US Veterans day is on November 11.

Closed Thread