The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What bothers me is Harry's have the cake and eat it attitude. He gave up on the UK and moved to the US where he is now a resident. But, at the same time, he wants to retain his military appointments in the UK and take part in ceremonial events like the Remembrance Day service, albeit by proxy.
The working royal thing can be a bit vague as Prince Michael has attended the Cenotaph over the years either on a balcony or laying a wreath and he also has been given official military appointments by the Queen BUT I do agree with you about Harry. Prince Michael hasn't walked away from the royal family and has always been on call when the Queen has needed him (thus his GCVO award). Harry has stepped away and gone to live abroad so he cannot have it both ways.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The DM picked up the story from The Times.

Whether true or not it does make sense ... non-working royals don't lay wreaths. Prince Michael of Kent has more service in the army than Harry and he never lays a wreath. This is simply protocol, I suspect.
Prince Michael actually has laid a wreath quite a few times over the years. The last time was in 2018 and last year he was on a balcony.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Majesty

I suppose this is the right thread?

Harry recently spoke to vets on their podcast Declassified and reminisced about what Remembrance Day means to him. In the light of his being refused a wreath at the Cenotaph in London, he will wear a poppy and remember the fallen from his home in California.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...mbrance-sunday
Old 11-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...nied-t2wtght2m

I understand a request by Harry that a wreath be laid on his behalf at the Cenotaph was declined. I think that is very much the right decision, as he is no longer a serving member of the BRF.
Why am I not surprised this is being leaked today of all days.. hasn't Roya been historically pro Sussex?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Royal Highness

Harry can go buy a wreath and do his own cenotaph memorial at one of the many memorials around California. No doubt he can document it for a magazine or two.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Harry can go buy a wreath and do his own cenotaph memorial at one of the many memorials around California. No doubt he can document it for a magazine or two.

I am sure that Prince Harry would be able to find a wreath and attend a Veteran's Day service on Wednesday 11/11/20 to honor the service of American Veterans.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Remembrance Day is surely just too important to be dragged into discussions about individual members of the royal family.

I think it would be appropriate to leave this for another day.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I imagine it hit Harry right between the eyes just how "different" his life is now. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Harry's wish to lay a wreath by proxy at the Cenotaph was well meant and sincere as he does sincerely care and work passionately for veterans and I don't see that changing.

It isn't about Harry finding somewhere in the US to pay his respects. Its not about Harry wanting "half in, half out through the back door" but a gentle reminder that in so many ways, he can't go home again and have things how they were. I believe this will happen to Harry every now and then when things that he used to do that meant something to him can only be things of the past.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I imagine it hit Harry right between the eyes just how "different" his life is now. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Harry's wish to lay a wreath by proxy at the Cenotaph was well meant and sincere as he does sincerely care and work passionately for veterans and I don't see that changing.

It isn't about Harry finding somewhere in the US to pay his respects. Its not about Harry wanting "half in, half out through the back door" but a gentle reminder that in so many ways, he can't go home again and have things how they were. I believe this will happen to Harry every now and then when things that he used to do that meant something to him can only be things of the past.
Well sais, Osipi. I guess just a reminder of all the things he probably had not thought through, when he threw his toys out of the pram.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Royal Highness

I assume that Harry's request was sincerely meant.

I also think it's an example of wanting or maybe hoping for various "half-in, half-out" exceptions or not to put too fine a point on it, the Big Royal Occasions with Pomp And Circumstance. At least a little. And very possibly something they didn't think through or hoped would be allowed after a while.

Yes I do realise people like Prince Michael of Kent have laid wreaths before and (Bea and Eugenie sometimes attended with Andrew previously though didn't lay wreaths) and he isn't an official full time working royal, but he has never had so dramatic an exit from the family, complete with moving to a different country.

Perhaps if things had been handled differently it might have been possible, but as it stands, no. I'm glad it didn't as it would have completely overshadowed an already overshadowed but still very moving service in the media.

I hope he can find somewhere to lay his own wreath and possibly attend Remembrance/Veterans Day services in person or online if that is something he does want to do.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The leaking of the story about Harry being denied a wreath at the Cenotaph seems to have the grubby paws of Sunshine Sachs all over it.
I totally agree but SS have totally misjudged the situation if they think this will result in sympathy for Harry. No doubt in the USA this will be seen as the nasty old UK being mean to him again but in Britain it actually makes him look worse. He severely compromised Britain when he intervened in the US election under the guise of now being a private citizen. Does he not realise that if he was to be officially represented at any national event in the UK it would appear that the royal family and the UK government are sanctioning him and his wife in their behaviour? He wanted out so he has to adjust to being out even more so because he and Meghan seem intent in shooting their mouths off about all sorts of things the royal family cannot be associated with.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I am sure that Prince Harry would be able to find a wreath and attend a Veteran's Day service on Wednesday 11/11/20 to honor the service of American Veterans.
I wonder whether there would be a remembrance Sunday service by the British community in the larger LA area. Our church in Peru had one each year and it was the best attended service each year (I think it even topped Christmas Eve).
Old 11-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What bothers me is Harry's have the cake and eat it attitude. He gave up on the UK and moved to the US where he is now a resident. But, at the same time, he wants to retain his military appointments in the UK and take part in ceremonial events like the Remembrance Day service, albeit by proxy.
I think his motivation was genuinely sincere, but I donít think Harry seems to understand what it meant when he divorced himself from the BRF as far as being a working Royal. I donít think he understands what it meant to pack up and leave the UK, settling permanently in another country.
Assuming he truly meant to honor these heroically brave veterans who gave their lives, he can still do so here in America. Our Veteranís Day is on November 11, and he can visit a veteranís cemetery ..or honor the dead any way he sees fit. If he really intends to make a life in America, he might want to start not trying to live with one foot in the UK. Iím not saying that he canít still love his native land, that he canít still think of it as his home in his heart...but if he keeps doing things like this, itís going to be hard for him to ever have a real home.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Majesty

I cant see why he couldn't send a wreath privately to be placed there other than at the Days ceremonial wreath laying.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

This must hurt Harry deeply. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.

He chose to do things his and Meghan's way instead of working in harmony with the Queen-so this price he must pay
Old 11-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I cant see why he couldn't send a wreath privately to be placed there other than at the Days ceremonial wreath laying.
Is that an option for the general public as well? It seemed it all was fenced off. So, if that would be an option for all private citizens, I guess he can ask a friend to do so.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is that an option for the general public as well? It seemed it all was fenced off. So, if that would be an option for all private citizens, I guess he can ask a friend to do so.
its not fenced off, its in the middle of Whitehall. Obviously during the Remembance Ceremonies there are restrictions.. but if what he wanted to do was to lay a wreath, Im sure someone could have done it on some other day in Novmeber...
Old 11-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

I placed a wreath at the unknow solider :) It was s strange moment. I couldn't afford to go home to my grandfathers funeral. So I brought a bouquet of flowers and went to Westminster to have my own private service. I lit a candle or two, said a prayer and then placed my bouquet on the tomb of the unknown solider. The guards or ushers didn't seem to mind at all. But then a group of Canadian tourists thought I was doing something official and stood around for a moment of silence. It was very odd, but I was very thankful for the small gesture.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
its not fenced off, its in the middle of Whitehall. Obviously during the Remembance Ceremonies there are restrictions.. but if what he wanted to do was to lay a wreath, Im sure someone could have done it on some other day in Novmeber...
I saw pictures of fences around the Cenograph that were taken after the ceremony. Am I right in thinking it is in the middle of a road? So, it would be hard and odd for someone to place a wreath once it is cleared for traffic again? How long will the wreaths remain?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Royal Highness

It is currently fenced off as BLM tried to burn the flag or damage the statue during the week. The fence was removed for today - unsure what they will do tonight.
Usually the move all the wreath up on the plinth area and traffics flows normally around it. Then new wreaths replace them on the 11th. However there is normally a lot more wrath's.

Closed Thread