The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can give my opinion, which is that ideally charity work shoudl be done privately. In today's world, however it has become a way for celebs to get noticed...
And with regard to the RF as I pointed out, they are there to publicise the charity, but Harry and Meg walked out of the RF and royal life. Harry said that he found being photographed and watched by the meida stressful.. so why embark on a new career where he er brings a photographer along with him when he does a memorial event? or where he can expect the press or other photographers to take pics of him doing his charity work?

Them leaving the working royal life has nothing to do with what they do now on their own time.

First off is there anything proving this was a photo call? From what Ive seen this was not a ‘staged’ event. Having the media grossly intrude in your private life does not mean you are never going to deal with them again in more appropriate settings. They never said they were going to go live in a cave. They made it pretty clear they would continue with charitable causes.

Not sure why it is such a horrible thing when they do what the rest of them do ...somehow they are wrong and get accused of all sorts of nasty things ...the double standard is disgusting.

LaRae

They are not hermit crabs. Royals aren't the only people on earth allowed to do charity work and bring attention to it.

It was mentioned upthread that the media follows them and is privy to everything. That is just simply not true. How many times have Harry and/or Meghan done something and the press know after the fact? Quite often these days. Heck they didn't even know Harry was in Compton 5 days ago.

They are public figures. You can be private and still do public things. Happens every day.

Really? The rest of the family didnt get that memo evidently ...not to mention other high profile folks!

When you are trying to gather support or make a charity known you want ppl to know about it!

They are doing charity work their own way, who are you to say they must or must not do XYZ?

LaRae

They can do whatever they want (clearly!) and both fans and non fans are going to discuss it.

The BRF on official engagements are there more to officially acknowledge others charity efforts and yes help publicise them. That's literally their job whether they want to or not or whether it interests them. Unless they're the current flavour of the year with the press they often don't get much personal credit for doing it. I was once told we were Princess Anne's 2nd engagement of the day and she had three. None of them appeared in the national press although we thought it was a worthwhile visit and everyone was proud and there was more interest locally.

Celebs often do charity events come under more scrutiny as to their motives when they get publicity from it, that's the nature of the game, especially as they were official event photos not from someone's phone.

Them leaving the working royal life has nothing to do with what they do now on their own time.

First off is there anything proving this was a photo call? From what Ive seen this was not a ‘staged’ event. Having the media grossly intrude in your private life does not mean you are never going to deal with them again in more appropriate settings. They never said they were going to go live in a cave. They made it pretty clear they would continue with charitable causes.

Not sure why it is such a horrible thing when they do what the rest of them do ...somehow they are wrong and get accused of all sorts of nasty things ...the double standard is disgusting.

LaRae
There's no need for them to put themselves through all this strain if they hate being photographed. They have enough money to lead a completely private life, keep the press and photographers and random snappers at a distance. And since they left the RF, and seem to have felt very ill at ease there, its odd that they are now doing much the same things that they would have done as working royals.

And since they left the RF, and seem to have felt very ill at ease there, its odd that they are now doing much the same things that they would have done as working royals.

The difference, IMO, is the primary objective behind the charitable acts. Whilst part of the BRF, this was very much part of the day job, with a view to highlighting the work of certain charities, and help them raise financing. Now, perhaps, it it is still work, but with a view to keeping themselves in the press so they do not completely slip out of public conscienceness. It is about building a brand on charity, "the caring angle" to quote Diana and philanthropy. That brand will then probably be monetised for private gain.

The difference, IMO, is the primary objective behind the charitable acts. Whilst part of the BRF, this was very much part of the day job, with a view to highlighting the work of certain charities, and help them raise financing. Now, perhaps, it it is still work, but with a view to keeping themselves in the press so they do not completely slip out of public conscienceness. It is about building a brand on charity, "the caring angle" to quote Diana and philanthropy. That brand will then probably be monetised for private gain.

yes but they didn't like beng part of the RF. They didn't want, one presumes, to go to charity events as a royal and publicize the charity. They didn't want the press following them when they worked. Now they've left, they can get out of that treadmill.. they can utterly refuse a life where there are clicking cameras which have upset Harry in the past. So why do they take a photographer on a memorial visit to a cemetery? Why do they go to charity places knowing that pics will be taken and put on the internet?

There's no need for them to put themselves through all this strain if they hate being photographed. They have enough money to lead a completely private life, keep the press and photographers and random snappers at a distance. And since they left the RF, and seem to have felt very ill at ease there, its odd that they are now doing much the same things that they would have done as working royals.

Except they never said this. Their issue was the extreme attention and intrusion.

Felt ill at ease based on what?

Since both them have done charity work for decades it is not at all odd that they continue to do so. It woukd be odd if they didnt.

LaRae

yes but they didn't like beng part of the RF. They didn't want, one presumes, to go to charity events as a royal and publicize the charity. They didn't want the press following them when they worked. Now they've left, they can get out of that treadmill.. they can utterly refuse a life where there are clicking cameras which have upset Harry in the past. So why do they take a photographer on a memorial visit to a cemetery? Why do they go to charity places knowing that pics will be taken and put on the internet?

I think we both know that the camera following them around is what they need to keep their "brand" in the public gaze. These appearances could either be formally organised as in the case of the Remembrance Day photoshoot or informally where they consent to have a charity publicise their involvement or post their pictures.

There could be a few reasons to explain why they are at ease now, but seemed to be so bothered by the media previously.

> Might it be an issue of control? They are comfortable as long as they decide when these pictures are taken, and therefore released. Though the obvious question that follows is how photographers at royal engagements, and therefore, in a controlled environment, were more jarring than those in California?

> This is for private profit, so they are happy to have themselves photographed

> The media was never a real issue, it was just that she just did not like playing second fiddle to William and Catherine, C&C and HM, and so played on Harry's dislike of the media to weaponise him, leading to the unfortunate outbursts on the Tom Bradby interview in Africa.

I suspect the answer is a combination of all three.

As far as I can see, they do a couple of things, maybe 2 or 3 since Lockdown, and it is always revealed by someone. So they know this is going to happen.. the only way they could stop it is by insisting that people sign non disclosure agreements with teeth, and I agree, Meg and harry aren't going to do that. They took a photographer with them to do the walk in the cemetery.. so I can't imagine that they want their charity acts to be kept private.

In this case the Instagram post is by the organization itself, so not a random stranger, so it was clear from the start that this would be actively publicized. As it was done by the organization and not released by Harry and Meghan themselves it took a little while for it to get noticed but it was bound to be found out (that was part of the purpose for the organization).

LaRae
The reason is that they themselves chose to LEAVE the royal family. As a member of the royal family, you are part of a greater whole that contributes to the nation - while, especially if you are not the direct heir, having the freedom to champion the causes that you think are important from that broader perspective. Once you step down and instead start monetizing and publicizing based on your membership of the royal family that becomes tacky because it can no longer be about the greater good (you just put that responsibility aside) but primarily is to serve yourself. That's not what royal families are for.

So, it's not double standards; it's applying different standards based on completely different situations.

There could be a few reasons to explain why they are at ease now, but seemed to be so bothered by the media previously.

> Might it be an issue of control? They are comfortable as long as they decide when these pictures are taken, and therefore released. Though the obvious question that follows is how photographers at royal engagements, and therefore, in a controlled environment, were more jarring than those in California?

> The media was never a real issue, it was just that she just did not like playing second fiddle to William and Catherine, C&C and HM, and so played on Harry's dislike of the media to weaponise him, leading to the unfortunate outbursts on the Tom Bradby interview in Africa.

I believe you are absolutely right about their motivations.:flowers:
They are fine being photographed, as long as they say where, when, and how.

I think we both know that the camera following them around is what they need to keep their "brand" in the public gaze. These appearances could either be formally organised as in the case of the Remembrance Day photoshoot or informally where they consent to have a charity publicise their involvement or post their pictures.

You hit the nail on the head, Muriel!

I think it’s certainly a combo of them wanting to be in control of the media narrative (they don’t seem to mind the attention when it’s positive and coming from them), the whole private income aspect, not wanting to play second fiddle, and I would also add Meghan’s dislike of living in the UK.

I don’t quite understand this approach to volunteering. If he wanted to be low-key about it, he could just use the name Harry Windsor or whatever it says on his driver’s license, and most Americans wouldn’t think anything of it. Masks are a big help for staying unrecognized. If he wanted to use his fame to gain recognition for the charity - not a bad goal at all - he could have posed for some pictures and posted them himself. I don’t think this middle ground of making sure the charities know he's a prince and letting them publicize that or not however they choose is necessarily wrong, but I do think it’s kind of strange. Maybe he did try to fly under the radar and someone figured it out. That would make more sense.

I don’t quite understand this approach to volunteering. If he wanted to be low-key about it, he could just use the name Harry Windsor or whatever it says on his driver’s license, and most Americans wouldn’t think anything of it. Masks are a big help for staying unrecognized. If he wanted to use his fame to gain recognition for the charity - not a bad goal at all - he could have posed for some pictures and posted them himself. I don’t think this middle ground of making sure the charities know he's a prince and letting them publicize that or not however they choose is necessarily wrong, but I do think it’s kind of strange. Maybe he did try to fly under the radar and someone figured it out. That would make more sense.

From my speculations about this is that after the fuss over the Remembrance Sunday Commonwealth War Grave Photoshoot they decided that they wouldn't personally release any more photos of them volunteering for a while through their press office and personal photographer. They don't have public social media at the moment so couldn't just post a pic of the event themselves without their picture, low key either.

So they agreed with the charity to release the pictures on their SM, still getting the word out, still under their control but less obviously and the charity hopefully gets some publicity and increased donations to it that way. Maybe it took a few days for the media to find out, maybe someone nudged them in the right direction in time for Harry's appearance at the All Star Heroes thing tonight. (Cynical I know!)

If Harry had wanted to volunteer anonymously then he probably could have, especially with a mask, or at least not had the charity themselves posting about it and they definitely knew who he was and were excited. Them posting it means he officially agreed to it. This wasn't a fan with a phone.

It could be worse. Instead of getting a photo released by a charity/organization where Harry put some time in, we could be getting a gazillion photos of Harry and Meghan out at the local hot spot hobnobbing with the great and the good of celebrity culture or pictures of them sailing along on their brand hew sailboat with Archie is cute life jacket and sailor hat as mom and dad soak up the California sunshine.

We really haven't seen much of Harry and Meghan out on the town or shopping and things that usually bring celebrities to the forefront of glossy magazine covers. They've basically been keeping their private, social life private and what we do see, right or wrong, pertains to how they want their public lives to go.

I give them kudos for not being "front and center" in the glamorous, celebrity packed glitz world that we know exists. That's to their credit. ?

It could be worse. Instead of getting a photo released by a charity/organization where Harry put some time in, we could be getting a gazillion photos of Harry and Meghan out at the local hot spot hobnobbing with the great and the good of celebrity culture or pictures of them sailing along on their brand hew sailboat with Archie is cute life jacket and sailor hat as mom and dad soak up the California sunshine.

We really haven't seen much of Harry and Meghan out on the town or shopping and things that usually bring celebrities to the forefront of glossy magazine covers. They've basically been keeping their private, social life private and what we do see, right or wrong, pertains to how they want their public lives to go.

I give them kudos for not being "front and center" in the glamorous, celebrity packed glitz world that we know exists. That's to their credit. ?

Well there hasn't been as much (any?) of that in general because they flew into LA when it was in quarantine lockdown with no parties and events to go to and that is still the case. Even the gossip sites are taking headlines from Celebs instagrams and official interviews.

I doubt they shop for their own food much and they live in an exclusive community so little opportunity for paparazzi shots in that way.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing, just I don't give them much credit for it when there wasn't anything going on. They may well have attended in person glamourous celebrity events as they networked for Archewell if things were different

When the Sussexes lived in London and then in Canada pre Covid, there was not much evidence of them regularly dining out at fashionable restaurants, attending celebrity parties and red carpet events outside of their official life anyway. Tabloids were forever asserting that the couple were constantly hobnobbing with people like the Clooneys but they never produced any photos of them doing so.

They were barely seen in Canada, and, especially after Archie's birth, were mostly tucked away at Frogmore Cottage in the UK, so I don't know where all the assertions of Meghan and Harry longing for a glamorous Hollywood lifestyle on the red carpet comes from. I don't expect their private life to change much in that direction post Covid either.

When the Sussexes lived in London and then in Canada pre Covid, there was not much evidence of them regularly dining out at fashionable restaurants, attending celebrity parties and red carpet events outside of their official life anyway. Tabloids were forever asserting that the couple were constantly hobnobbing with people like the Clooneys but they never produced any photos of them doing so.

They were barely seen in Canada, and, especially after Archie's birth, were mostly tucked away at Frogmore Cottage in the UK, so I don't know where all the assertions of Meghan and Harry longing for a glamorous Hollywood lifestyle on the red carpet comes from. I don't expect their private life to change much in that direction post Covid either.

That's how I see it too. They *are* going to be out there front and center when it comes to something they're involved with and want to draw public attention to but I do believe that if it really was "all about them", we'd be seeing quite a different story in pictures and events. Even with the pandemic.

I still chuckle over the fact that they got "formally" engaged over cooking a roast chicken in the kitchen and to this day, its how I imagine they prefer their private "at home" life to be.

It would be a bit difficult for them to do this at present when there are no glam events or socialite goings on, at least not ones that are publicised. And I dont think they want their private life whether glamourous and social, or quietly being at home, to be publicized. So they are not going to do that. What they want is for their working life to be more glamorous than a visit to a baby centre in provincial England, they want to be influencers on the political scene and the celebrity charity circuit, and that is what they are publicizing. "Look at us, we do meaningful charity work in the US and mix with the great and good here..."

That's how I see it too. They *are* going to be out there front and center when it comes to something they're involved with and want to draw public attention to but I do believe that if it really was "all about them", we'd be seeing quite a different story in pictures and events. Even with the pandemic.

I still chuckle over the fact that they got "formally" engaged over cooking a roast chicken in the kitchen and to this day, its how I imagine they prefer their private "at home" life to be.

THey don't want their "at home private life" to be publicized and possibly they dont have much taste for parties and clubbing. but they DO want to be noticed and go to glamourous events for "charity" and politics. They clearly didn't greatly enjoy UK life where there weren't that many red carpet charity things, and where their working life might well consist of trips abroad which can be tiring, and a lot of dull stuff in charity centres in the duller cities of England with the RF's social life of shooting, fishing, barbeques at Balmoral etc. After the first Christmas I don't get the feeling that they mixed all that much with the RF and probably Meg felt that she had not intended to sign up for a social life of wet weather, wellies and sitting round the piano at Balmoral...

Last edited by a moderator:
THey don't want their "at home private life" to be publicized and possibly they dont have much taste for parties and clubbing. but they DO want to be noticed and go to glamourous events for "charity" and politics. They clearly didn't greatly enjoy UK life where there weren't that many red carpet charity things, and where their working life might well consist of trips abroad which can be tiring, and a lot of dull stuff in charity centres in the duller cities of England with the RF's social life of shooting, fishing, barbeques at Balmoral etc. After the first Christmas I don't get the feeling that they mixed all that much with the RF and probably Meg felt that she had not intended to sign up for a social life of wet weather, wellies and sitting round the piano at Balmoral...

I don't think Meghan is particularly into horses as well, which is one of the main hinderance, as the Queen enjoys horse riding and horse racing. Having said that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie may not be keen on horses either. I guess they might be into other outdoor activities or even cars (like Peter Phillips/Autumn Phillips/James, Viscount Severn).

Your post also highlighted the drastic difference between big cities and rural villages as well as regions/counties in the UK. Whilst the senior working royals have their offices in London, their downtimes are mostly in rural areas. There is a phrase called "London/Westminster bubble" or "Surburban/Great cities bubbles", not just politically, but also culturally speaking. Also I think Meghan's activism in gender/racial equality would not be well received in working class areas or rural regions. This is especially after she took part in a campaign to decolonise the curriculum. It might sit well in University towns and large cities (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Brighton, Sheffield, Liverpool etc.). However, given that working-class boys have been one of the worst performing groups in schools and university placements, I don't think "white privilege" and "male privilege" sits well.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...at-male-pale-and-stale-universities-p8znzs5gl

I also don't think Meghan would enjoy doing engagements similar to those completed by The Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex, Duke of Gloucester etc. where there are no glamorous red carpet events or major media coverage, but local charities & causes with local newspaper coverage.

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan is particularly into horses as well, which is one of the main hinderance, as the Queen enjoys horse riding and horse racing. Having said that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie may not be keen on horses either. I guess they might be into other outdoor activities or even cars (like Peter Phillips/Autumn Phillips/James, Viscount Severn).

Your post also highlighted the drastic difference between big cities and rural villages as well as regions/counties in the UK. Whilst the senior working royals have their offices in London, their downtimes are mostly in rural areas. There is a phrase called "London/Westminster bubble" or "Surburban/Great cities bubbles", not just politically, but also culturally speaking. Also I think Meghan's activism in gender/racial equality would not be well received in working class areas or rural regions. This is especially after she took part in a campaign to decolonise the curriculum. It might sit well in University towns and large cities (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Brighton, Sheffield, Liverpool etc.).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...at-male-pale-and-stale-universities-p8znzs5gl

I also don't think Meghan would enjoy doing engagements similar to those completed by The Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex, Duke of Gloucester etc. where there are no glamorous red carpet events or major media coverage, but local charities & causes with local newspaper coverage.

That's a very good point about Megahn's type of activisim. I hadn't thought of that...
Basically I think that Meghan isn't a party animal or has outgrown her "clubbing" days..and prefers a quiet private life.. and certainly not one which is on the cover of the tabloids next morning.. so its not greatly to her credit that she and Harry have not been seen out dancing every night (not that that's possible right now anyway). But i DO believe that in her working life she wanted something a lot more sophisticated than that which usually falls to a member of the RF who isn't the heir. Anne, Edward etc dont get much publicity and I think that Meghan had envisaged a lot more glamour in her working life than foreign tours to places which are stressful and tiring, and the rest of the time spent visiting a northern town or some out of the way place and opening a clinic in a back street.. I think she thought there would be a lot of favourable press attention and didn't realize that the RF don't always get good press and often get quite mean coverage... That she'd go to Wimbledon and get a whole block of seats because she was a Princess. Or that there would be sophisticated people invited to dinner to hear her wisdom..!
And it wasn't really nearly as grandiose a life as she had expected...
Then in her down time, she was given a house in the country, not a London pad and I suppose it was expected that she'd turn up to Balmoral or Sandringham and tolerate a muddy weekend with the queen -. I think that the queen is less likely now to insist that most of the RF turn up for Xmas etc. in the country but there's still a certain amount of duty visits and Meghan didn't enjoy them and she and Harry seem to have avoided them in the last year...
I agree that not all royals may love the country and horsey sports but out of respect and affection for the queen they do make the duty visits and make the best of them.. but Meghan after her first Christmas before she got married, didn't enjoy that sort of thing and tried to avoid it...

She thought she would be the star, the new Diana.
That was not going to happen.

okay - it looks like Harry and Meghan have started asking around for endorsement deals. Rather Sunshine Sachs is on their behalf. I cant see anything online - but PR people in America seem to think it is funny. (unsure why - trying to find out)
So Meghan and Harry want to be paid to wear specific clothes, watches and jewelry. And this might also include Archie.
I am told celebrities get better salaries this way then movies and that this is how David Beckham made a lot of his money. if there is any truth in this - looks like they have moved on to part 2 of how to make money. Don't you also have to appear in the commercial - or was this the way it was done in the 1990's. Now you just post it online or slip it to Omid?
I understand that royals have done this in the past, so they might have precedence. It is just we might have a situation where designers will be bidding to have their clothes at royal events.

okay - it looks like Harry and Meghan have started asking around for endorsement deals. Rather Sunshine Sachs is on their behalf. I cant see anything online - but PR people in America seem to think it is funny. (unsure why - trying to find out)
So Meghan and Harry want to be paid to wear specific clothes, watches and jewelry. And this might also include Archie.
I am told celebrities get better salaries this way then movies and that this is how David Beckham made a lot of his money. if there is any truth in this - looks like they have moved on to part 2 of how to make money. Don't you also have to appear in the commercial - or was this the way it was done in the 1990's. Now you just post it online or slip it to Omid?
I understand that royals have done this in the past, so they might have precedence. It is just we might have a situation where designers will be bidding to have their clothes at royal events.

Where did you see this? Do you have a link?

LaRae

Although completely unconfirmed it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as this is one of the most lucrative ways for famous people to make money. To discuss your general points:

There is precedence in that Zara is a brand ambassador for various luxury products but she doesn't turn up at Trooping wearing Musto for example and doesn't use her connection mother or grandmother to promote them.

Peter Philips got into trouble for using "member of the BRF" on his endorsements in China and it was swiftly pulled.

There would certainly be an outcry if it openly became a "designers are bidding to dress Meghan for whichever event she came back for". And that would be another reason they aren't invited back for the glamourous big days in the family calendar that they obviously do want to be involved with.

I think this is partly what HM/Charles/William were trying to avoid when they nixed the half in half out plan and (attempted to) ban the couple using HRH and their titles for commercial ventures. They didn't want "Official tour of Oceania sponsored by Chanel and Rolex" or "Trooping sponsored by Gucci" etc.

Does he not realise that his actions and his words contradicts each other?

Does he not realise how ridiculous and hypocritical he sound?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...quiet-fury-tasteless-cemetery-photoshoot.html

if he's said that, he really is pretty stupid....

Although completely unconfirmed it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as this is one of the most lucrative ways for famous people to make money. To discuss your general points:

There is precedence in that Zara is a brand ambassador for various luxury products but she doesn't turn up at Trooping wearing Musto for example and doesn't use her connection mother or grandmother to promote them.

Peter Philips got into trouble for using "member of the BRF" on his endorsements in China and it was swiftly pulled.

T.

There is a difference with Zara in that she is an untitled junior member of the RF, who has never worked for the Firm. Harry left working for the firm because - well IMO largely because they were told that they COULDNT do money making things and be working senior royals. And while it has helped Zara that she's a granddaughter of the queen.. she is also an expert horsewoman and has some fame in her own rights. As you say, though Peter Phillips has crossed lines in some of his business work.. and there's always a danger when minor royals are seen to be using their social status and connection with the RF in their attempts to make a living.. There's a fine line and its easy to cross it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom