The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #881  
Old 10-27-2020, 07:57 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,380
The story that was repeated everywhere was that the Clooneys stated at Harry and Meghan's wedding when Carolyn Bartholomew asked them how they knew the bride and groom they stated 'Not at all!' It has now been denied by George Clooney's rep so that story was clearly a lie, probably formulated, as usual, to paint the Sussexes as celebrity obsessed.

I don't know what else George and Amal are to do. Go before a judge and publicly deny the story, sign a statuary declaration it didn't happen, go on ET or GMB to deny it?

The Clooneys have denied that they said anything of the sort at the wedding.

That ought to be enough. If there are any questions about it then they ought to be directed at people like Rachel Johnson, who printed this lie in her magazine article in the first place.
__________________

  #882  
Old 10-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Which points out something relevant here. When someone is in a position to speak out about something, obvious problems with getting a concrete idea across or not being able to really say anything useful at all tells me that the person that is speaking is there because of who they are rather than that they have real information to impart.

Harry speaking of British society as a whole ranks right up there with him speaking on nuclear physics at the Nobel Physics Award. It does bring to my mind a fact that is very probable. Over the years when Harry has given a speech anywhere, most likely he's had advisers that did a lot of the preparation for those speeches. Put Harry in front of a camera to speak what is in his head doesn't work well for him at all.
Harry strikes me as someone who speaks about the "hot button" topics of the day, but actually has no idea what he's speaking about. The reason why he doesn't sound that intelligent, the reason why people mention that he can't go off script, is because he doesn't have thoughts of his own - he's parroting information. When the metaphorical basketball hits the rim and bounces back to him, Harry has no idea what to do with it and just lets it go.
__________________

  #883  
Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Socioeconomic Status, which is "an economic and sociological combined total measure of a person's work experience and of an individual's or family's economic and social position in relation to others".

I think term "SES" is more widely used in America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada ... than class (i.e. Working class, middle class or upper class), compared to the UK.
Thanks, class kind of has an implication of differing outlooks, manners etc. but I suppose its essentailly teh same thing.
  #884  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Harry strikes me as someone who speaks about the "hot button" topics of the day, but actually has no idea what he's speaking about. The reason why he doesn't sound that intelligent, the reason why people mention that he can't go off script, is because he doesn't have thoughts of his own - he's parroting information. When the metaphorical basketball hits the rim and bounces back to him, Harry has no idea what to do with it and just lets it go.
I've followed Harry since he was 19, and many many times over the years I have seen him in talks with the general public or representatives of charities etc and really engage with them and 'get' what they are saying about various issues, so I very much disagree. That has been both in Australia and the U.K. and he certainly didn't 'parrot information' on those occasions.

And the imputation that Harry is unintelligent is getting very tired. He passed exams to be an Apache helicopter pilot for God's sake!
  #885  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:16 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont say its true, but even if it is, are the Clooneys going to say "oh sure we didn't know the couple hardly at all...."
No but they didnít have to address it at all.
  #886  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree. Geographically they're in a prime location for this part of the state. It's close enough for a trip by car, plane, helicopter, train down to Los Angeles where Doria lives but they're away from the congestion and pollution of a large city.



I just drove past Montecito on Sunday to pick up my daughter from UCSB and the weather while overcast was very pleasant. They'll likely love living in Santa Barbara Co.

Imagine turning a corner while driving TLLK and coming across the Duke and Duchess cycling with their security ahead of you up the road!

If it ever happens, please post!!!


And I understand "Thanksgiving" is a big deal in the US, but I've just seen that California is limiting the get-togethers to a total of two hours.

Difficult for Harry and Meghan to travel to Ms Ragland's for such a short time - and even more so for the Duchess's mother to just get to Montecito and then head off again.

A maximum of three households per celebration.

And to be done outdoors - with people only allowed inside to use the loo, which you must sanitise frequently.

Keep your mask on unless putting food or drink in your mouth.

Keep away from everybody. Singing, chanting, shouting discouraged.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be too much fun for everyone.

Maybe Doria will transfer to Meghan and Harry's estate well ahead of the occassion and be regarded as part of that household, and that way she won't have to abide by the two hour limit.
  #887  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Imagine turning a corner while driving TLLK and coming across the Duke and Duchess cycling with their security ahead of you up the road!

If it ever happens, please post!!!


And I understand "Thanksgiving" is a big deal in the US, but I've just seen that California is limiting the get-togethers to a total of two hours.

Difficult for Harry and Meghan to travel to Ms Ragland's for such a short time - and even more so for the Duchess's mother to just get to Montecito and then head off again.

A maximum of three households per celebration.

And to be done outdoors - with people only allowed inside to use the loo, which you must sanitise frequently.

Keep your mask on unless putting food or drink in your mouth.

Keep away from everybody. Singing, chanting, shouting discouraged.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be too much fun for everyone.

Maybe Doria will transfer to Meghan and Harry's estate well ahead of the occassion and be regarded as part of that household, and that way she won't have to abide by the two hour limit.
I think it would be ideal for Doria to come to Harry and Meghan's house for Thanksgiving. They could have the main dinner or other meals outside near the garden, so that Archie could run around (with boundary secured of course, as in the parents and grandparent keep on sight of him and Archie himself not going "out of bound" territories )
  #888  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I think it would be ideal for Doria to come to Harry and Meghan's house for Thanksgiving. They could have the main dinner or other meals outside near the garden, so that Archie could run around (with boundary secured of course, as in the parents and grandparent keep on sight of him and Archie himself not going "out of bound" territories )
I wonder how the weather is in November AC21091968.

To have a sit down meal outdoors with winter coming on ... although it is California.

Having said that, there are a lot of outdoor fireplaces at Harry and Meghan's home.

Hard for anyone to give the "cook" a helping hand if everyone has to stay outside except to use the bathroom.

All that sharing the "work" is the best part of a get-together ... bonding over an activity and all that.
  #889  
Old 10-27-2020, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Imagine turning a corner while driving TLLK and coming across the Duke and Duchess cycling with their security ahead of you up the road!

If it ever happens, please post!!!


And I understand "Thanksgiving" is a big deal in the US, but I've just seen that California is limiting the get-togethers to a total of two hours.

Difficult for Harry and Meghan to travel to Ms Ragland's for such a short time - and even more so for the Duchess's mother to just get to Montecito and then head off again.

A maximum of three households per celebration.

And to be done outdoors - with people only allowed inside to use the loo, which you must sanitise frequently.

Keep your mask on unless putting food or drink in your mouth.

Keep away from everybody. Singing, chanting, shouting discouraged.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be too much fun for everyone.

Maybe Doria will transfer to Meghan and Harry's estate well ahead of the occassion and be regarded as part of that household, and that way she won't have to abide by the two hour limit.

I promise that I'll post as soon as that scenario occurs Sun Lion!


Santa Barbara like much of the Central Coast enjoys cooler temps during November. It's possible that they could see some rain or have highs in the 80's though.


I expect that it will be easier for Doria to travel to Santa Barbara if that's where the family chooses to gather for the holiday. I wouldn't be surprised if she chooses to stay for an extended time.



The guidelines are rather restrictive but considered necessary. All across the nation universities are telling students to just stay home if they travel for Thanksgiving and not to return to campus. They can finish the semester/quarter from their homes via online classes.
  #890  
Old 10-27-2020, 09:36 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,757
My guess is Doria spends a significant amount of time with Harry and Meghan. It seemed she was staying with them in Beverly Hills. I won’t be surprised if she also staying with them in Montecito. Per the paps her home seems unoccupied. So it’s nice for them and Archie that they have her as a constant.
  #891  
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I promise that I'll post as soon as that scenario occurs Sun Lion!


Santa Barbara like much of the Central Coast enjoys cooler temps during November. It's possible that they could see some rain or have highs in the 80's though.


I expect that it will be easier for Doria to travel to Santa Barbara if that's where the family chooses to gather for the holiday. I wouldn't be surprised if she chooses to stay for an extended time.



The guidelines are rather restrictive but considered necessary. All across the nation universities are telling students to just stay home if they travel for Thanksgiving and not to return to campus. They can finish the semester/quarter from their homes via online classes.

Such ongoing turmoil for everyone TLLK ... I won't be suprised if Covid impacts Christmas too.

I can't imagine that Meghan's big court case will be delayed in January ... but if the UK is still in such a state, maybe it will be a phone-in trial.

Maybe someone will request to postpone it on that basis.

I don't know how the Sussexes can ever recover the momentum they lost by launching their independent lives when they did.

Covid certainly put a spanner in the works of their plans.

(Not that they have suffered as much as many, of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
My guess is Doria spends a significant amount of time with Harry and Meghan. It seemed she was staying with them in Beverly Hills. I wonít be surprised if she also staying with them in Montecito. Per the paps her home seems unoccupied. So itís nice for them and Archie that they have her as a constant.
Agree ACO ... I can well see Meghan's mother spending a lot of time with the Sussexes in that big house and garden - especially with her only grandchild.

No only does the property have the pool, but also a tennis court. Not that I think any of them - Harry, Meghan or Doria - is that sporty.

And as well as the guest-house at the bottom of the garden, I think there is a guest wing/area in the main house, so more than enough room for everyone to spread out and do their own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There is the possibility that M&H knew about it, and perhaps are taking a financial cut from future rental income for a predefined period.

I think someone found out about it muriel, the Fernald Point Lane house.

I just had another look at the property listing for it, and both the photo of the Duke and Duchess, and the reference to "Prince Harry and Meghan" using it, have now been removed.

https://giggster.com/listing/montecito-beach-house
  #892  
Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
No but they didnít have to address it at all.
Since the issue has come up again, that they were invited ot the wedding but didn't really know the couple, of course they are likely to deny it...
  #893  
Old 10-28-2020, 06:00 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
I dont quite understand why he has to talk at all. He is supposed to have given up royal life partly because he found the journalists and attention too stressful, so why not give up entirely and go into private life? Become a house husband? If one of them has to do what is pretty much the same as what Royals do, why not leave it to Meghan who has plenty of confidence and isn't IMO stressed by journalists or public /press attention.
or take up a bit of small time charity work. its difficult now, but it should be possible for someone who has plenty of time and resources to take on some kind of hands on stuff, like phoning lonley old people, or packing meals for a charity or something like that.. not sounding off about things that he doesn't really understand...
  #894  
Old 10-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,606
It is a difficult question. They left as they wanted to do more meaningful work with real impact. Okay - grandiose ideals aside. Lets break that down - they want to bring their passion project to the fore, raise money and give that money to who needs it, while also building the brand to move forward.
Can Archewell exist or grow without M&H as the figureheads? No - they are its only draw. As it figureheads do they need to be its only representative - Big no. If they intend the organization to grow they are going to have to recruit ambassadors to the cause. For example Oprah will have to do an interview on behalf of Archewell Org ect. There is a good reason for this. Think about the Livestrong brand. Good concept, bad figurehead. It is really struggling after everything about Lance Armstrong came to the front. Never make the individual larger then the organization they have setup, if you are intending the organisation to last longer then the person. The organisation needs to have a life of its own. Think the Scout Movement or the Red Cross - they have became more then their origins and inventors would have dreamed.
If H&M want their organization to be more than a 10 year celebrity hobby they need to get their faces off Youtube. They also need back bone and clout on the board of directors and a proper financial plan that shows the percentage that actually goes to charities and how much is spend appearing everywhere. There is press and then there is over exposure - and well , you can see where I am going here. They also need to some work to remove Archewell as a charity away from the Cult of the Sussex's - although it might increase donations now in the long run not a good thing.
  #895  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:08 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
They also left because tehy wanted to make a "professional income". And harry left because he was stressed out and could not hack reporters and pressmen following him...
  #896  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:15 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,437
Brendan OíNeill (Editor of Spiked Online, centrist libertarian political magazine) has written a piece on The Spectator (UK) on Harry's interview with Patrick Hutchinson on GQ. I do think some posters would agree with him that Harry appeared to be "lecturing the public" or even "out of touch", whilst living in a comfortable lifestyle. Yes, Brendan OíNeill is a staunch critic of the BLM movement and Critical Race Theory. And I also know that The Spectator is a right-wing libertarian political magazine.

Prince Harry needs to stop lecturing us
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...p-lecturing-us

You can read up to three articles for free, anything more requires a subscription.
  #897  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Brendan OíNeill (Editor of Spiked Online, centrist libertarian political magazine) has written a piece on The Spectator (UK) on Harry's interview with Patrick Hutchinson on GQ. I do think some posters would agree with him that Harry appeared to be "lecturing the public" or even "out of touch", whilst living in a comfortable lifestyle. Yes, Brendan OíNeill is a staunch critic of the BLM movement and Critical Race Theory. And I also know that The Spectator is a right-wing libertarian political magazine.

Prince Harry needs to stop lecturing us
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...p-lecturing-us

You can read up to three articles for free, anything more requires a subscription.
Actually brilliant article, even with know bias - point to the true weakness of the BLM movement without prejudice.
  #898  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've followed Harry since he was 19, and many many times over the years I have seen him in talks with the general public or representatives of charities etc and really engage with them and 'get' what they are saying about various issues, so I very much disagree. That has been both in Australia and the U.K. and he certainly didn't 'parrot information' on those occasions.

And the imputation that Harry is unintelligent is getting very tired. He passed exams to be an Apache helicopter pilot for God's sake!
I should have clarified my comment as referring to relatively recently, not throughout his working life. I have no doubt that on issues Harry personally believes in and is knowledgeable about, he can speak passionately and well....
  #899  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bordertown, Australia
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The story that was repeated everywhere was that the Clooneys stated at Harry and Meghan's wedding when Carolyn Bartholomew asked them how they knew the bride and groom they stated 'Not at all!' It has now been denied by George Clooney's rep so that story was clearly a lie, probably formulated, as usual, to paint the Sussexes as celebrity obsessed.

I don't know what else George and Amal are to do. Go before a judge and publicly deny the story, sign a statuary declaration it didn't happen, go on ET or GMB to deny it?

The Clooneys have denied that they said anything of the sort at the wedding.

That ought to be enough. If there are any questions about it then they ought to be directed at people like Rachel Johnson, who printed this lie in her magazine article in the first place.
So Carolyn Bartholomew lied then?
  #900  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
or take up a bit of small time charity work. its difficult now, but it should be possible for someone who has plenty of time and resources to take on some kind of hands on stuff, like phoning lonley old people, or packing meals for a charity or something like that.. not sounding off about things that he doesn't really understand...
I completely agree. This is a very difficult time for many people, and there's a lot that Harry could do. With Remembrance Day/Veterans' Day coming up, maybe some elderly war veterans who are nervous of going out much under the current circumstances would appreciate a phone call from a famous face who's seen active service. There are all sorts of things he could do, which would genuinely help people.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021 JessRulz Current Events Archive 874 03-07-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists mongolia pless politics prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan speech st edward suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×