The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have no idea on any of this but just reading "The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex" makes me think that they've *finally* got their own household that they wanted. Only problem is that in the US, people can go online easily and become a "Lord" or "Lady" and set up the same thing. At least, that's how I see it.

As time passes, and the Sussexes get more and more ingrained into the American way of life, their titles are going to mean less and less to the people paying attention to them. Without the backing of the actual "Firm" of the monarchy of the UK, the British titles this couple uses reminds me of an old song "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight". It makes them look like they're holding on too tightly to what was rather than forging ahead in a new way on their own merit.

I get that they *are* still The Duke and Duchess of Sussex but still using that kind of implies to me that they're hoping to forge ahead *in the same manner* that they did with the "Firm" and maintain the same level of attention and respect the monarchy afforded them. I don't think that's going to happen.

I really have no idea on any of this but just reading "The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex" makes me think that they've *finally* got their own household that they wanted. Only problem is that in the US, people can go online easily and become a "Lord" or "Lady" and set up the same thing. At least, that's how I see it.

As time passes, and the Sussexes get more and more ingrained into the American way of life, their titles are going to mean less and less to the people paying attention to them. Without the backing of the actual "Firm" of the monarchy of the UK, the British titles this couple uses reminds me of an old song "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight". It makes them look like they're holding on too tightly to what was rather than forging ahead in a new way on their own merit.

I get that they *are* still The Duke and Duchess of Sussex but still using that kind of implies to me that they're hoping to forge ahead *in the same manner* that they did with the "Firm" and maintain the same level of attention and respect the monarchy afforded them. I don't think that's going to happen.

It's really beginning to feel like they're trying to create their own mini-Royal Family in California. "The Court of Montecito" perhaps?

Almost everything they've done says they're trying to forge ahead with the "royals who also talk partisan politics and make a lot of money" plan they originally wanted in January. Especially with the charity photo shoots and that stunt at the cemetery. They weren't allowed to be half in half out with the official BRF so they're starting Independent Progressive Sussex Royal Family of California and basically playing "dress up" of the role that was actually theirs a year ago and acting "as if" so that people will pay more attention to them then the average young celebrity couple with a message. Time will tell what happens.

Almost everything they've done says they're trying to forge ahead with the "royals who also talk partisan politics and make a lot of money" plan they originally wanted in January. Especially with the charity photo shoots and that stunt at the cemetery. They weren't allowed to be half in half out with the official BRF so they're starting Independent Progressive Sussex Royal Family of California and basically playing "dress up" of the role that was actually theirs a year ago and acting "as if" so that people will pay more attention to them then the average young celebrity couple with a message. Time will tell what happens.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that the Queen but her foot down firmly enough with them after the Sandringham Summit. I don't know if that's because she was hoping they would want to come back into the fold after the one-year review was up, or if they told her that they weren't going to involve themselves in controversial topics and she believed them, or if because she didn't want to hurt her grandson and his wife even more. Or if she really didn't have the control to do anything. But it seems like they have largely been able to do the half-in/half-out role mostly out of their own creation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should not be allowed to use the titles, not just the HRH. If they want to be "private citizens" who earn their own income so badly, they should style themselves as such and go by Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. That's nothing new- Harry did so in the military when he was Harry Wales, Beatrice and Eugenie do it as Beatrice York and Eugenie York at their workplaces, Harry's own niece and nephew do it as George and Charlotte Cambridge at their school. Obviously they won't do it because they seem to be very attached to the titles despite their claims of privacy.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that the Queen but her foot down firmly enough with them after the Sandringham Summit. I don't know if that's because she was hoping they would want to come back into the fold after the one-year review was up, or if they told her that they weren't going to involve themselves in controversial topics and she believed them, or if because she didn't want to hurt her grandson and his wife even more. Or if she really didn't have the control to do anything. But it seems like they have largely been able to do the half-in/half-out role mostly out of their own creation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should not be allowed to use the titles, not just the HRH. If they want to be "private citizens" who earn their own income so badly, they should style themselves as such and go by Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor. That's nothing new- Harry did so in the military when he was Harry Wales, Beatrice and Eugenie do it as Beatrice York and Eugenie York at their workplaces, Harry's own niece and nephew do it as George and Charlotte Cambridge at their school. Obviously they won't do it because they seem to be very attached to the titles despite their claims of privacy.
Harry and Meghan Sussex is easier to spell:lol:

I agree with this on all counts. They won’t voluntarily give up their titles because it’s who they are. The reason anyone cares about them is because they are the Duke and Duchess. H and M will be hired because people can crow about royals being involved. If they went by Mountbatten-Windsor, no one who doesn’t follow the Royals would know the significance of that. So again, Harry and Meghan want it both ways - to be private citizens (who have photo shoots at cemeteries on somber occasions), but to have the cachet of the Royals.

I've read in several places including tabloids that I don't want to link, that Archewell is about to be launched in the next couple of months, so the hiring of the Comms staff is probably to do with that.

Although this concept has been around for quite a long time, I've noticed it cropping up more and more as I venture around the internet these days. Kind of fits into what I was saying in an earlier post about "The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". :D

https://establishedtitles.com/produ...jDpL3kqt_b3JxkM7x00KmYcn3goFa5owMnxiMbH8oTjZg

BTW: not going to waste my money. I'm content with being Queen of Typos. :lol:

I agree with you. Harry and Meghan should not be style as The Duke or Duchess of Sussex, if they really want to be "private citizen" and earning their own money.

When Lady Gabriella Kingston was releasing her music as a singer-songwriter, she was Ella Windsor. It was raising awareness and funds for the musical non-profit Playing for Change Foundation.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2020082395834/lady-gabriella-windsor-singer-songwriter-debut/

Before someone criticise that Lady Gabriella is using her royal surname (Windsor) for better publicity, there are people with surname Windsor, without being related to the Royal Family. An example is Robin Windsor, who was a Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer during 2010-2014
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/4GqRVkXVRQmQkDxpDygHX8q/robin-windsor
https://officialrobinwindsor.com/blog/

Last edited:
It seems the Title Duke and Duchess of Sussex is very important it take's top priority and then there is the money. Maybe they should try Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor or Meghan and Harry Markle.???

Although this concept has been around for quite a long time, I've noticed it cropping up more and more as I venture around the internet these days. Kind of fits into what I was saying in an earlier post about "The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex". :D

https://establishedtitles.com/produ...jDpL3kqt_b3JxkM7x00KmYcn3goFa5owMnxiMbH8oTjZg

BTW: not going to waste my money. I'm content with being Queen of Typos. :lol:

The wonderful thing is that the first certificate states: Lord [your name], hereafter referred to as 'The Lady' :D

It seems the Title Duke and Duchess of Sussex is very important it take's top priority and then there is the money. Maybe they should try Harry and Meghan Mountbatten Windsor or Meghan and Harry Markle.???

There were suggestions (by some royal watchers or even Harry and Meghan's critics) on Prince and Princess Harry/Henry of Wales or The Prince or Princess Harry/Henry (when Charles becomes King) if the The Duke of Sussex title is removed by Parliament. In both of these cases, they are still technically style as HRH. I know that the possibility of removing Dukedom of Sussex is very little and it would open a can of worms.

Then again, looking at "The Office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" and it's communications staff, it could be set up to specifically handle their "British" side of things such as their UK incentives and programs and organizations they've retained during all this time. Also, now they'd have their own "men in grey suits" courtiers to "handle" the palace for them. Of course the courtiers would look different. Tanned with shorts and looking to surf on their lunch breaks? :lol:

This keeps their Archewell Foundation as a separate entity away from the "British" and "royal" aspect of their lives. It is physically creating the "half in, half out" aura around them. Interesting concept eh? :whistling:

Then again, looking at "The Office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" and it's communications staff, it could be set up to specifically handle their "British" side of things such as their UK incentives and programs and organizations they've retained during all this time. Also, now they'd have their own "men in grey suits" courtiers to "handle" the palace for them. Of course the courtiers would look different. Tanned with shorts and looking to surf on their lunch breaks? :lol:

This keeps their Archewell Foundation as a separate entity away from the "British" and "royal" aspect of their lives. It is physically creating the "half in, half out" aura around them. Interesting concept eh? :whistling:

Why do they need three people to handle the UK side of things?
especially they reside in the US. they left someone in the UK whose job was to do PR and connectivity with their UK stuff.

Like you said earlier, many of us saw this coming, them trying to create their own court. It will fail, hack they can't even get enough votes on TIME person of the year nominations, they are somewhere around the 70% no.

As for the queen putting her foot down, I actually think this is a case of giving enough rope. And with the exception of their fans and royal watchers and those who dislike them, or some gossipers, no one really give a damn about them. the majority of people see them as nothing but airheads celebrities vying for their five minute of fame as they lecture away to the messes but do nothing note worthy for that fame.

Why do they need three people to handle the UK side of things?
especially they reside in the US. they left someone in the UK whose job was to do PR and connectivity with their UK stuff.

Like you said earlier, many of us saw this coming, them trying to create their own court. It will fail, hack they can't even get enough votes on TIME person of the year nominations, they are somewhere around the 70% no.

As for the queen putting her foot down, I actually think this is a case of giving enough rope. And with the exception of their fans and royal watchers and those who dislike them, or some gossipers, no one really give a damn about them. the majority of people see them as nothing but airheads celebrities vying for their five minute of fame as they lecture away to the messes but do nothing note worthy for that fame.
I think teh queen and Charles would like them to come back even if they came back to a private life in the UK. Im sure they're a bit embarrassed by all the self promotion.. and the political talk. However Harry is their flesh and blood and they don't want to cut off with him completely. But I think the 1 year review was because the queen and C feared things would go pear shaped for them in the US.. and that they would eventually end up as you say, airhead celebs who don't make that much money and are not as smart as they think they are.. and she was giving them a way back if they wanted it.

However I suspect that if it werne't for Archie, they wouldn't be too unhappy if Meg didn't come back and harry did.

Why should they go by Mountbatten-Windsor and not Sussex when all the other examples used the short form of their title as surname as well? Or Diana's brother Earl Spencer eg signs Charles Spencer. If the queen and the parliament decided to take away Harry's peerage, he would still be Prince Henry of Wales... It is difficult for the son of a future king to be treated like a common person (or citizen, if you prefer) when he doesn't want that. Plus I doubt the RF would want that. For them Harry is a Royal - and while they don't want him to use his style for business, he still has the right to it because of who he was born. That's what comes out of keeping the monarchy with a Queen or King regnant as the person wearing the Crown. Their direct male line family will always be Royals, so they hold the proper style and titles. And what's theirs legally, they can legally use.

Why should they go by Mountbatten-Windsor and not Sussex when all the other examples used the short form of their title as surname as well? Or Diana's brother Earl Spencer eg signs Charles Spencer. If the queen and the parliament decided to take away Harry's peerage, he would still be Prince Henry of Wales... It is difficult for the son of a future king to be treated like a common person (or citizen, if you prefer) when he doesn't want that. Plus I doubt the RF would want that. For them Harry is a Royal - and while they don't want him to use his style for business, he still has the right to it because of who he was born. That's what comes out of keeping the monarchy with a Queen or King regnant as the person wearing the Crown. Their direct male line family will always be Royals, so they hold the proper style and titles. And what's theirs legally, they can legally use.

THe queen can remove an HRH... She wouldn't want to but she made it clear to Harry that he could not use his HRH for business.

If he came back, he'd still have to do something. If he wanted to get a job, like Beatrice, Eugenie and Peter have done, or do charity work in a private-ish capacity, OK, but those don't seem to be options.

If he came back, he'd still have to do something. If he wanted to get a job, like Beatrice, Eugenie and Peter have done, or do charity work in a private-ish capacity, OK, but those don't seem to be options.
He doesnt' have to do anything surely? HE is well off enugh to lead a private life.. and in hte UK he and Meg would not be able to do thier political stuff....

Might be rather boring! He'd have to do something to fill his time.

Take up golf :) ? Gardening? I just think he'd need something to do.

In that sense yes but I don't think he will be able to do much if he comes back. I don't think the publics would want him on royal duties, and honestly I think if he comes back with Meghan they would be better to take to a completely private life. They can't seem to do charity work wtithout making it all about themselves...

Did someone put this up? I didn't see it. Harry and Meghan are up for Time Magazine's Person of the Year. You can vote "yes" or "no". Bear in mind it's not who you like the most it's who made the news headlines. Controversial people have won.

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-reader-poll-2020/

In 1988 they made Endangered Earth "Planet of the year" and there was no person of the year...i wouldn't be surprised if for 2020 the phenomenon of the year wiil be:
Covid-19

I am sure that is not the matter. Madam wants to save the world, and be the next Oprah, with a billion US$. Coming back to the UK will not get here.

Did someone put this up? I didn't see it. Harry and Meghan are up for Time Magazine's Person of the Year. You can vote "yes" or "no". Bear in mind it's not who you like the most it's who made the news headlines. Controversial people have won.

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-reader-poll-2020/

I would hope that someone more important this year, most likely related to the big issue of this year: Coronavirus, will be chosen the Time Magazine's Person of the Year instead of a couple that decided to quit their life long commitment to chase fame on their own conditions.

Could the virus/pandemic itself been chosen? They've chosen non-persons before...

I would hope that someone more important this year, most likely related to the big issue of this year: Coronavirus, will be chosen the Time Magazine's Person of the Year instead of a couple that decided to quit their life long commitment to chase fame on their own conditions.

Could the virus/pandemic itself been chosen? They've chosen non-persons before...

I was bored today, so I signed up and did it. they were both at around 80% (if i recall correctly) of a hard NO. I don't think they're winning- but it was interesting to see the votes, and would be intriguing to see the final results.
It's gonna be either covid or essential workers

Harry on Strictly Come Dancing VT!

Harry appeared on Strictly Come Dancing today in JJ Chalmers's VT along with his professional partner Amy Dowden. JJ Chalmers is an Invictus Game medallist. He perviously served as a Royal Marines reservist in Helmand, Afghanistan.

The SCD program is still going on at the moment that I'm typing this post.

Here is a clip from a Sussex fan account

The Sunday Times has released an article before SCD was broadcast
Prince Harry steps into Strictly Come Dancing to give friend JJ Chalmers a lift
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ance-surprises-royal-family-sources-75zj5hl0c

Last edited:
I'm pleased to see Harry supporting JJ in this way. The two share a very close bond since JJ suffered awful injuries in Afghanistan and he and his wife were there at the royal wedding in 2018. Hope he wins!

What a lovely appearance. Go JJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom